Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kal
Jun 3, 2007

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Vegeta is eager to fight that rabbit. After all, it easily defeated Kakorroto.

Little does Vegeta know, rabbits eat vegetas too

Uh wow these jokes are bad sorry guys I'll step it up

Anime stamps? What's next, building a scale model of a Gundam? Remilitarizing and invading the South China Sea?

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

visceril posted:

Uh wow these jokes are bad sorry guys I'll step it up

Or you could just stop posting.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2014/07/28/dimension-dragonball-son-goku-figure-announced/

quote:

In anticipation of next year’s new movie, Toei and Megahouse have announced a new “Dimension of DRAGONBALL” figure for Super Saiyan Son Goku.

The vinyl/PVC figure comes with three heads with different facial expressions all as a Super Saiyan. A halo is also an option, and the figure is posable at the neck.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

SirDrone posted:

That's still better fanfiction then this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaSZggVIVis

Oh my..is this for real?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

visceril posted:

Anime stamps? What's next, building a scale model of a Gundam?

Already happened.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Vintimus Prime posted:

Oh my..is this for real?

I'm happy too.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

In other news, I'm really digging the artstyle for this DBM sidestory chapter. It's like a Batmanny/Noir take that's really visually interesting.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Spiritus Nox posted:

In other news, I'm really digging the artstyle for this DBM sidestory chapter. It's like a Batmanny/Noir take that's really visually interesting.

Came here to post this. Gast is my facorite character in the series and it's cool he's getting this treatment

MastG
May 25, 2014
Does anyone know where I could get my hands on any of the Malaysian dubbed movies? Either buying or downloading, I just need to have them. I need them in my life.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

MastG posted:

Does anyone know where I could get my hands on any of the Malaysian dubbed movies? Either buying or downloading, I just need to have them. I need them in my life.

They're almost impossible. The closest I ever got was audio rips of Super Android 13 and a few others.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy

NikkolasKing posted:

We all are my friend.

I remember Pan's character profile blurb thing in BT3 said she couldn't turn Super Saiyan because she was only 1/4 Saiyan.

This is a few pages back, but in the misty days of my past (high school at the dawn of the millenium and 56k internet was as fast as it got, so our information was all filtered through early internet bullshit and only hearing it secondhand from the nerd who actually had a dial-up connection) I heard something about saiyan genes actually getting stronger by generation even if diluted by human genes. Also something-something a saiyan who has achieved ssj and then has kids will pass on even more power, which is why Gohan achieved ssj in his early teens and Goten was a ssj practically after getting out of diapers.

Was this all just whispered nonsense rumors or are there any canon links to this hearsay?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Zorblack posted:

This is a few pages back, but in the misty days of my past (high school at the dawn of the millenium and 56k internet was as fast as it got, so our information was all filtered through early internet bullshit and only hearing it secondhand from the nerd who actually had a dial-up connection) I heard something about saiyan genes actually getting stronger by generation even if diluted by human genes. Also something-something a saiyan who has achieved ssj and then has kids will pass on even more power, which is why Gohan achieved ssj in his early teens and Goten was a ssj practically after getting out of diapers.

Was this all just whispered nonsense rumors or are there any canon links to this hearsay?

I don't even remember where I heard it first either, but 12/13-year-old me was definitely under the impression that Saiyan genes were like homeopathic medicine and got more powerful the more diluted they were.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy

Well Manicured Man posted:

I don't even remember where I heard it first either, but 12/13-year-old me was definitely under the impression that Saiyan genes were like homeopathic medicine and got more powerful the more diluted they were.

Holy poo poo! That's exactly how I heard it. It was bizarre as hell, but the less saiyan blood you had, the more power you got. Something to do with blah-blah warrior race etc go off to other planets, fraternizing with the locals creates even stronger kids to conquer more worlds lather-rinse-repeat.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
So saiyans are like Asari and Goku and Vegeta Jr. go SSJ4 like Trunks and Goten do SSJ?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It was something to do with Human's making the saiyan genes have more potential. It was to hype up Gohan or some poo poo.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The way I saw it, humans get more out of training, but Saiyans have reduced training results to balance out their zenkai boosts(this being how the humans are able fight Saibamen after training with Kami, and the Ginyu Force after training with King Kai[filler, I know]). Mixing it, you get both.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

The way I saw it, humans get more out of training, but Saiyans have reduced training results to balance out their zenkai boosts(this being how the humans are able fight Saibamen after training with Kami, and the Ginyu Force after training with King Kai[filler, I know]). Mixing it, you get both.

It is sort of weird to realize that with a year's training Krillin went from getting effortlessly owned to killing multiple Radditz with a single attack but it isn't really treated as very impressive.

Not Yamcha though.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It is sort of weird to realize that with a year's training Krillin went from getting effortlessly owned to killing multiple Radditz with a single attack but it isn't really treated as very impressive.

Not Yamcha though.

Sort of like how Piccolo went from losing to Nappa to handling 2nd form Freeza? (Yes he absorbed Nail, but come on).

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I just always assumed that meditating was how Namekians trained since their freaky psychic magic slugs.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Flytrap posted:

I just always assumed that meditating was how Namekians trained since their freaky psychic magic slugs.

It's not meditating, it's napping.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

facebook jihad posted:

Came here to post this. Gast is my facorite character in the series and it's cool he's getting this treatment

I've been blowing through the DBM comic on the thread's recommendation, and it really is pretty sweet. (I'm up to the Tapion/Hildegarn side story.) At least, it is something I could really see being animated despite the visual quality being all over the place.

There are just so many badass moments that could be given real creedance with a little re-writing (or just a better translation).

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Silynt posted:

Sort of like how Piccolo went from losing to Nappa to handling 2nd form Freeza? (Yes he absorbed Nail, but come on).

Power levels are bullshit.

edit: Echoing the love for DBM. It's basically DBZ fan fiction done right.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

WickedHate posted:

Let's look to Yamcha and Goku, both of them training under Kami.

Start of Z Yamcha was still weaker than 22nd Tournament Tien.
A single year with Kami and he became stronger than Raditz.

Goku trained for, what, three years with Kami? He didn't even get twice as strong, let alone ten times as strong.

It's also why Roshi blowing up the Moon makes sense now I think on it. If we remember the Raditz fight, a charged up Kamehameha more tan doubled Goku's PL. So the Max Power Kamehameha Roshi used to blow up the Moon probably brougth him to about the same level as start of Z Piccolo who casaully handblasted the moon away.

Sometimes I wonder if DBZ has irrevocably damaged my brain so I care this much about bullshit. Well at least I'm still not as demented as those people who make Power Level Charts all the way up to GT and calculate SSJ4 Goku's PL at a few bajillions.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

What the hell is the deal with the moon anyway? Why does it keep coming back?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

setafd posted:

What the hell is the deal with the moon anyway? Why does it keep coming back?

The moon, like Buu and Cell, can regenerate as long as a single cell exists.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Kami brought it back the first time, and, maybe he brought it back again. Has it ever been shown again after Piccolo blew it up?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nah, after Piccolo blew it up no one ever really bothers to bring it back. It also helps that for the most part every single part of DBZ after that is either on another planet or takes place in daytime.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Why did Gohan have his tail in the first Cooler movie?

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Zorblack posted:

Straight from the manga:

Hybrids are stronger than regular Saiyans. The degree of which and how diluted it can be to give the same benefit has always been fan theories. The only semi-official stances on such a thing are GT's Goku Jr., at 1/16th Saiyan, being able to go Super very early on and while probably physically weaker than Bulma (also Vegea Jr. some time later), and Dragon Ball Online's player character humans, all of which have a small amount of Saiyan blood in them and while stronger than regular humans require the help of Shenron to access Super Saiyan. Take both of which as you will.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

facebook jihad posted:

Why did Gohan have his tail in the first Cooler movie?

All of the movies are dumb, and only a couple fit into the timeline. The first grouping are the worst since many happen while Goku is dead or before Gohan meets people.

The best way to look at the movies is they are "What ifs," ie., "What if Radditz got killed without Goku dying," etc.

MastG
May 25, 2014

Darko posted:

"What if Radditz got killed without Goku dying,"

I'd like to know what it'd be like if this happened but Nappa and Vegeta still went to Earth for the Dragon Balls.

Goku would probably undertrain, get his rear end kicked, and Vegeta would be immortal.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MastG posted:

I'd like to know what it'd be like if this happened but Nappa and Vegeta still went to Earth for the Dragon Balls.

Goku would probably undertrain, get his rear end kicked, and Vegeta would be immortal.

Funny you bring this up, I've been meaning to make a post about this but haven't gotten around to it.

Vegeta and Nappa's attempt to get the Dragon Balls was more than likely as ill-fated as Freeza's was. First, the Dragon Balls had just been used, so the balls would pretty much just be insignificant stones for a year. Second, the dragon balls were supposed to be really hard to find. The only reason they were ever found was because Bulma and others had technology to find them. The Saiyans didn't have this. Freeza was lucky to find them because Namek's villages held on to every one of them. Use your scouters to find the villages, find the balls. On Earth they could be anywhere, even in a random bush somewhere. The Saiyans really had no loving chance to find them all without a radar. Finally, even if the Saiyans won, I doubt Piccolo would have have let them win. Piccolo was dead set on dying out there if he had to, and if by some act of God they did appear to be getting close, Piccolo would probably just kill himself.

I know this is just stupid speculation, and the real point of the Saiyan arc was 'good guys fight strong bad guys', but the Saiyans' quest for the balls was kind of asinine.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I remember reading that the movies all take place in alternate universes. Some of them can take place in the same universe, too.

For example:
Movie 1 takes place in a world where Raditz never comes to Earth.

Movies 2 and 3 both take place in a world where Goku arrived in time to fight Nappa and Vegeta, and nobody dies. No need to go to Planet Namek.

Movie 5 takes place in a world where Goku's Genki-Dama actually killed Freeza. No Super Saiyan transformation, everyone goes back to Earth.

Those are the only ones I remember.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

That's basically how I took it as well.

The Broly Trilogy happened in a timeline where Cell was beaten without Gohan going Super 2 and Goku ended up dead in some other way.

Fusion Reborn is where Gohan beat Super Buu and Goku stayed dead.

etc. etc.

Bojack and Hirudegarn's movies are the only ones that could "reasonably" possibly take place during the series proper. Cooler 1 MAYBE if you squint hard enough at it.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

StrifeHira posted:

Fusion Reborn is where Gohan beat Super Buu and Goku stayed dead.

The continuity we deservd.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

It DID have Gohan punching Freeza so hard he explodes and Gotenks fighting Hitlerpoleon, so, probably. :v:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Blue Star posted:

Movies 2 and 3 both take place in a world where Goku arrived in time to fight Nappa and Vegeta, and nobody dies. No need to go to Planet Namek.

But Yamcha had the King Kai symbol on his gi in Movie 3. Also everyone is way too strong, especially Piccolo.

My theory is that they went to Namek but there was no Freeza so they just revived everyone and came home.

StrifeHira posted:

The Broly Trilogy happened in a timeline where Cell was beaten without Gohan going Super 2 and Goku ended up dead in some other way.

You subscribe to the theory that Movie 10 Gohan wasn't SSJ2 then?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

NikkolasKing posted:

But Yamcha had the King Kai symbol on his gi in Movie 3. Also everyone is way too strong, especially Piccolo.

My theory is that they went to Namek but there was no Freeza so they just revived everyone and came home.

Yamcha got King Kai's symbol? He never wore the orange gi after the Namek saga.

Edit: Oh wait, he wore it during the Android Saga for a while. I just forgot because he was never relevant.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 1, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Yamcha got King Kai's symbol? He never wore the orange gi after the Namek saga.

I don't know about the symbol but he totally wore it when he got Android'd. TFS made a joke about it even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

You subscribe to the theory that Movie 10 Gohan wasn't SSJ2 then?

Nothing saying he couldn't gain it later on, though it WAS kinda iffy in the movie.

• Locked thread