Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

cremnob posted:

i asked paul thurrot on twitter and he said he hadnt heard anything about it

i cant ask him anything because he blocked me :<

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

graph posted:

oh.

lol

idk if the iOS MS RDP client is part of that but boy golly does it fuckin own

that was bought i think

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
im hoping the undercurrent of satya's droning on about 'cloud first mobile first' poo poo is
hey selling a bad product on the back of a good product actually just makes the good product look like poo poo while also not selling the bad product

a lot of servers and tools products moved in the direction of working better with non-windows clients like SCCM working with OSX and Android and iOS now (though i dont know how well) and that was while he was in charge there

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

graph posted:

i cant ask him anything because he blocked me :<

make a new twitter. i made another one cause marc andreessen blocked me

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sniep posted:

seriously

the simple fact that MS own products for their competitors outpaces products for their own products in functionality speaks volumes about the internal lack of focus and direction
a couple of years ago ballmer sent out an all-hands strategy memo about how msft needed to focus more and that a lack of focus was threatening to kill them

he went on to list the TEN areas that msft needed to focus on

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

uncurable mlady posted:

where the gently caress is office for Mac 2014

where is it

where

mobile first, cloud first

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

PleasureKevin posted:

mobile first, cloud first

i've got a cloud for you satya

its a poo cloud

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:gas: :yayclod: :gas:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

AtomD posted:

that was bought i think
yeah they bought itap for mac/ios, rebranded it and removed the cost

it's hilarious that the rdp client on both ios and os x performs better than the native one on windows does

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

yeah there is a mobile cloud of stinky gas that follows microsoft wherever it goes lmbo

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

PleasureKevin posted:

yeah there is a mobile cloud of stinky gas that follows microsoft wherever it goes lmbo

nah they fired ballmer

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Mercurius posted:

it's hilarious that the rdp client on both ios and os x performs better than the native one on windows does

remember for at least five years the microsoft rdp client for osx couldn't use rdp gateways and would randomly poo poo itself on sound/printer/storage forwarding

one of my clients was stuck with either buying itap for or giving vpn access to contractors that used macs.

hell, until exchange 2010 OWA would run in a gimped "lite" mode if you used anything other than IE. now OWA on 2007 or 2010 will only work in gimped mode if you're using ie 10 or 11, unless you add it to "compatibility view" in the browser.

gg microsoft

pram
Jun 10, 2001
cord was fine

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

uncurable mlady posted:

where the gently caress is office for Mac 2014

where is it

where

Is there any really blinding need to move from Office 2011 other than the year in its title?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

You Am I posted:

Is there any really blinding need to move from Office 2011 other than the year in its title?

its crap

but the right response is to move to pages/keynote/numbers

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

cremnob posted:

marc andreessen

i hate egg baby

Mercurius posted:

oh, didn't know that. also, yeah lol

like, ios rdp into 2012r2 is kinda usable and good :confused:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

You Am I posted:

outlook 2011 is a huge unstable piece of poo poo. idk about word or excel or whatever but they're probably similar. also the updater is the most hilariously stupid piece of software i've ever seen

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

infernal machines posted:

outlook 2011 is a huge unstable piece of poo poo. idk about word or excel or whatever but they're probably similar. also the updater is the most hilariously stupid piece of software i've ever seen

excel takes a very long time to do anything and apparently some of the vba functions are named differently because you can't even use the same macros in mac & windows

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
datanitro the guys that put python inside excel have a new product, NitroEngine
they rewrote the excel computational engine from scratch, and of course its 100x faster

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

pram posted:

cord was fine

still is, but it doesn't speak ssl/tls, which means I can't use it for a lot.

the Microsoft RDP client is still crap, it just crashes a fuckton less.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Perplx posted:

datanitro the guys that put python inside excel have a new product, NitroEngine
they rewrote the excel computational engine from scratch, and of course its 100x faster

did they fix any of the mistakes that have undoubtedly cost human lives?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
if you are using python and excel you are doing it wrong. export your excel data as csv, then import into pandas and other excel data crunching tools.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

yeah, all of this pretty much. excel is literally terrible, word is miserably slow (especially when you start using features like comments), it's horrifically optimized and makes my MBA's fan sound like a jet engine preparing for takeoff, it's crashy, the updater is bad, it's an ugly piece of poo poo

the whole thing is trash

if i had my druthers i'd just use pages/numbers/keynote (and latex for layout) but office is the standard

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

lol it's funny because of farts

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

office 2010 for windows is the best office

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

office for mac is an entirely different codebase, and i'm honestly surprised that there weren't sub-silos that kept office for mac out of the office 365 bundle

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

uncurable mlady posted:

if i had my druthers i'd just use pages/numbers/keynote (and latex for layout) but office is the standard

u can export to office formats and ive never had any trouble tbh

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

office for mac is an entirely different codebase, and i'm honestly surprised that there weren't sub-silos that kept office for mac out of the office 365 bundle

holy gently caress. are they still not unifying it for office 365 releases?

why on earth are they doing staggered versions that are all tied to the same could service? what the gently caress is wrong with microsoft?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

theadder posted:

depending on what you're doing this will break a lot of advanced features, basically forget about collaborating in any useful way on the file. if you're just pushing stuff out for consumption, you may as well use PDF.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

depending on what you're doing this will break a lot of advanced features, basically forget about collaborating in any useful way on the file. if you're just pushing stuff out for consumption, you may as well use PDF.

ya i mainly just type type type

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

theadder posted:

what about importing and then exporting back out

does it work with comments and track changes

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

holy gently caress. are they still not unifying it for office 365 releases?

why on earth are they doing staggered versions that are all tied to the same could service? what the gently caress is wrong with microsoft?

Frequently asked questions

Can I install Office 365 Home on my Mac?

The applications available for Mac users and the version numbers may be different from those available for PC users. If you have an active Office 365 Home, Office 365 Personal, or Office 365 University subscription, and available installs, you can install Office on your Mac, which includes the Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook applications. OneNote for Mac is available as a separate download from the Mac App Store. The Publisher and Access applications are not available for Mac.

Current Office application versions for Office 365 are Office 2013 for Windows and Office 2011 for Mac. Customers with an active subscription will be entitled to the newest versions when available.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I wrote something in outlook 2013 for windows and went "holy gently caress who thought a sliding inset caret was a good idea?" you see that poo poo in movies but that doesn't mean it actually makes sense in practice

also why is the entire UI IN CAPS like "UPDATING FOLDER Inbox"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

windows office in VMware fusion unity is more stable and uses less resources than osx office

having the right fonts for keynote and pages is nice though

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

minivanmegafun posted:

also why is the entire UI IN CAPS like "UPDATING FOLDER Inbox"

authentically digital

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

pseudorandom name posted:

authentically digital

"Couture Software for Generation Upload"

lmfao

pram
Jun 10, 2001

graph posted:

lmfao

lol

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

does generation upload know how to correctly use the word upload in a sentence yet?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

graph posted:

lmfao
Roz Ho Roz Ho ROZ HO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

minivanmegafun posted:

...holy gently caress who thought a sliding inset caret was a good idea?...

what are you referring to? (i dont use outlook 2013)

• Locked thread