Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
2014 World Champion?
This poll is closed.
Valentino Rossi 13 19.40%
Jorge Lorenzo 13 19.40%
Dani Pedrosa 8 11.94%
Marc Marquez 33 49.25%
Total: 67 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
tjones
May 13, 2005
He's loving lucky. Considering the amount of spills he's taken since last year it's amazing he hasn't sustained any major injuries.

I imagine its building his ego to the point of where he thinks he can't be touched, which makes for great viewing and some amazing racing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

tjones posted:

He's loving lucky. Considering the amount of spills he's taken since last year it's amazing he hasn't sustained any major injuries.

I imagine its building his ego to the point of where he thinks he can't be touched, which makes for great viewing and some amazing racing.

He's actually calmed down quite a lot this year. It seemed like every practice session last year he threw it down the road testing where the limit was. This year he's only dropped it a couple of times. I guess he just takes advantage of the fact that he's still young enough to bounce without breaking.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
One imagines he's going to be a sore middle-aged man, though. His body's going to be thrashed.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A sore middle-aged man with several MotoGP world championships, though.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Any ex-champion has a tired and ruined body in their middle age.

:siren: Qualifying results below, race start 8 AM EST, 5 AM PST for MotoGP, thread full of spoilers tomorrow morning :siren:

Q2 Results:

Pos. Num. Rider Bike Time Diff Prev
1 93 Marc MARQUEZ Honda 1'20.937
2 26 Dani PEDROSA Honda 1'21.233 0.296 0.296
3 6 Stefan BRADL Honda 1'21.340 0.403 0.107
4 41 Aleix ESPARGARO Forward Yamaha 1'21.376 0.439 0.036
5 99 Jorge LORENZO Yamaha 1'21.508 0.571 0.132
6 46 Valentino ROSSI Yamaha 1'21.651 0.714 0.143
7 29 Andrea IANNONE Ducati 1'21.679 0.742 0.028
8 44 Pol ESPARGARO Yamaha 1'21.771 0.834 0.092
9 38 Bradley SMITH Yamaha 1'21.794 0.857 0.023
10 19 Alvaro BAUTISTA Honda 1'21.906 0.969 0.112
11 4 Andrea DOVIZIOSO Ducati 1'22.120 1.183 0.214
12 69 Nicky HAYDEN Honda 1'22.647 1.710 0.527
Q1 Results:

Pos. Num. Rider Bike Time Diff Prev
Q2 69 Nicky HAYDEN Honda 1'22.374
Q2 4 Andrea DOVIZIOSO Ducati 1'22.404 0.030 0.030
13 68 Yonny HERNANDEZ Ducati 1'22.411 0.037 0.007
14 45 Scott REDDING Honda 1'22.436 0.062 0.025
15 35 Cal CRUTCHLOW Ducati 1'22.529 0.155 0.093
16 7 Hiroshi AOYAMA Honda 1'22.659 0.285 0.130
17 17 Karel ABRAHAM Honda 1'22.778 0.404 0.119
18 70 Michael LAVERTY PBM 1'22.845 0.471 0.067
19 5 Colin EDWARDS Forward Yamaha 1'22.888 0.514 0.043
20 8 Hector BARBERA Avintia 1'23.029 0.655 0.141
21 63 Mike DI MEGLIO Avintia 1'23.423 1.049 0.394
22 23 Broc PARKES PBM 1'23.428 1.054 0.005
23 9 Danilo PETRUCCI ART 1'23.484 1.110 0.056

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
Marquez also beat Stoner's 2008 Qualifying lap record. What is the fewest number of races that a championship has been decided in?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Tough to compare cause there used to be a lot less races.

Probably an Agostini championship tho.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 12, 2014

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
After this race there are a max of 225 points left and if Marquez wins he will have at least a 77 point lead, assuming he wins at indy after the break he'll have at least an 83 point lead with 200 points left max, if he wins each race after that, that puts him to 87-92-97-102 point lead with available points dropping from 175-150-125-100, at which point he's mathematically unassailable by the japanese race

That's presuming that either Vale or Dani take all the second places from now on, which is unlikely, so barring an accident that takes him off the bike for a few races i think Marquez will have it sewn up by Misano or Aragon

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

echomadman posted:

at which point he's mathematically unassailable by the japanese race

By this I assume you mean the championship will be buttoned up by Motegi, and not implying Marquez is the second coming of Douglas MacArthur

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Snowdens Secret posted:

By this I assume you mean the championship will be buttoned up by Motegi, and not implying Marquez is the second coming of Douglas MacArthur

Either/both

Some great racing in the Moto3 and Moto2 so far, hope the weather holds off for the GP race.

echomadman fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jul 13, 2014

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Holy gently caress that start from the pit lane. :stare:

edit: bet Marquez still wins it. :haw:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

darth cookie posted:

Holy gently caress that start from the pit lane. :stare:

edit: bet Marquez still wins it. :haw:

I'm rooting for Bradl getting a podium spot in this race. That was a great start.

e: And Smith crashed again. He really has no luck.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 13, 2014

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Collateral Damage posted:

e: And Smith crashed again. He really has no luck talent.

FTFY.

Aleix Espargaro is due for a proper team to ride for.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

darth cookie posted:

FTFY.

Aleix Espargaro is due for a proper team to ride for.
Mean but true. And I agree about Alexei.

Sucked for Bradl, he was on slicks but the rest of the bike was still configured for rain.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Christ, the full song is even more annoying, I guess I should thank BT Sport for only playing that 4 second clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSZVs82NBoM

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Race did make for an interesting case study about top qualifiers starting at the back of the grid. :v:

Kind of makes qualifying pointless but it created a lot more passing which is great on TV.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I watched the Fox Sports broadcast and thought it was going to be terrible, thankfully they switch off to Gregory Harris, Dillon Grey, etc for the actual race. Race was boring aside from the start.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Are those guys the default Dorna commentators? I'm glad they don't use the same chucklefucks speed used, talk about loving clueless.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Greg and Dillon are, yeah.

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled

Slim Pickens posted:

Are those guys the default Dorna commentators? I'm glad they don't use the same chucklefucks speed used, talk about loving clueless.

They use them for American races. It's infuriating.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Wiping is going to be a problem …!
Poor Lucy , hahahahaha

http://twitter.com/calcrutchlow/status/489111787250675712

Lol. At least he still provides off track entertainment

nsaP fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 16, 2014

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Is that follow up surgery to the one he had earlier this year?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Tragic masturbation incident afaik

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Hey Cal, who's got two thumbs and isn't winning squat this racing season?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Rumors that Lorenzo might go to Ducati seem pretty funny. Talk about killing your career. It must be a pretty big bummer to be anyone other than MM right now though, knowing you probably won't win a championship for at least a few years.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Oh I dunno about Crutchlow either btw but seeing as we just started the summer break before Indy I'd say yeah, getting follow up surgeries done.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

hayden. posted:

It must be a pretty big bummer to be anyone other than MM right now though, knowing you probably won't win a championship for at least a few years.
Pretty sure people were feeling the same when Rossi was winning everything.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2014/Surgery+on+both+arms+for+Crutchlow

Double arm pump surgery.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

KTM entry for 2017

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-racing-news-moto-gp/ktm-ceo-confirms-entry-into-2017-motogp/25345.html

gently caress, yes!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I'm not following the pricing or the number of bikes sold. No way they sell 100 bikes just in the MotoGP grid so I'm guessing they are going to do a Desmosedici style bike as well as a full GP bike?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

n8r posted:

I'm not following the pricing or the number of bikes sold. No way they sell 100 bikes just in the MotoGP grid so I'm guessing they are going to do a Desmosedici style bike as well as a full GP bike?

That's what I inferred as well. Hopefully we'll see this a few more places soon and it'll firm up. I'd be very happy if in 2017 we had:

Honda
Yamaha
Suzuki
Ducati
Aprilia
KTM

Just need to get Kawasaki back in the mix (well, outside from the odd chassis).

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
http://www.speedweek.com/motogp/news/60919/KTM-Chef-Stefan-Pierer-Wir-fahren-2017-MotoGP.html

Seems like they're talking about doing a similar thing to the Desmo RR

quote:

Translated article snippets:

What is the schedule?

We will be in May 2015 have the V4 engine to the test. The first roll-out of the RC16 model is planned for fall 2015. 2016 we will use for the final development throughout the year. The end of 2016 it will be available. May be 2016 already contested first wildcard race in the fall, which is our timeline. For 2016 we need a quick test driver.
KTM In the house we have already announced our plans. In the media has not.
It is a series project, but only for closed racetracks, not for road use.
I assume that some of MotoGP teams will report who wish to contest the 2017 World Cup with our motorcycles. We will build it as in the Moto3 tubular steel frame. We believe that it is also superior in MotoGP. We are also our own WP Suspension bring to use, with which we have now won already in the Moto2 World Championship. For 2015, upgrade to WP also expected to Marc VDS Racing with Rabat and Kallio, there have already been testing.

What numbers can be expected with such a production project?

We know myself yet exactly. In Moto3 70 to 80 machines come together in the year. I would imagine that we could sell up to 100 RC16-copies a year.
There are many freaks. Perhaps there are also a few hundred buyers. We want to offer an extremely good price.
How different are the specifications for the factory MotoGP machines and the RC16 will be for the recreational rider, we have not yet defined.
In what order of magnitude the price of the commercially available RC16 will be?
Thus, a commercially available racing motorcycle for "closed course racing" may cost a maximum of 150,000 to 200,000 euros. It will be just as suitable for hobbyists and professionals alike.
The homologated Superbikes yes the runs are getting bigger. Euro 4 and so on. All these stories are so counterproductive for racing.
demontierst If you are all that, you have a bike that is broken after five rounds.

In MotoGP KTM will not form a factory team, but only sell motorcycles?
Yes, we will proceed similarly as in the Moto3. We are looking for interested teams.

I gotta say...only selling bikes, not running a team? Completely different frame design? Yeah, it's nice to see the manufacturers in GP but this seems a bit nuts. Then again, they've been doing okay in the lower class so they can't be completely nuts, right? I guess we'll see.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Steel frame GP sounds cool. Worked well for Ducati for a time. I wonder what sort of tech KTM uses to control the consistency of the frame stiffness, since that was a complaint with the Ducati steel bike. That may be a problem they don't encounter with the lower power moto3 frame that they will have to figure out with the GP model.

Needless to say that MotoGP in 2017 with new tires and the control ECU will be a different ballgame than it is today.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/race/motogp-race/the-problem-at-ducati/

quote:

Another mechanic told me about the overabundance of 7mm, 8mm, 9mm and 10mm nuts and bolts on the Desmosedici.
Seriously? I work on Indian bikes and even they don't do that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nothing wrong with 8mm or 10mm IMO. But odd sizes? That there's an affront to God

e: oh, I read the article and that's basically the point they're making, derp

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 1, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

This just reaffirms Stoner was the best rider to ever turn wheel on a modern GP bike. Pity he wasn't cut out for the politics.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Are we counting Indian-made Triumphs? Because, well

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

This just reaffirms Stoner was the best rider to ever turn wheel on a modern GP bike. Pity he wasn't cut out for the politics.

To me, there is no doubt he'll go down as the best rider of the 800 era.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

nsaP posted:

To me, there is no doubt he'll go down as the best rider of the 800 era.

Pity he was such an asshat personally. I still remember when he had a go at Valentino when Vale accidentally wiped him out on one of his first rides for Ducati after Stoner moved to Honda. Valentino came into his pit garage to apologize, which I thought was pretty sporting of him, and Casey was a bit of a jerk about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I don't think he ever considered Rossi to be genuine to him. Rossi played a lot of media games and Stoner got poo poo on cause he was the first one to come in an unseat Rossi. I don't think anyone really considered Hayden a challenger, he was just consistent and caught Rossi on an off season. Rossi saw him as a threat and the narrative followed.

Stoner needed someone savvy with the public opinion and the media helping him along, but he couldn't be bothered with all of that and it hurt him.

I really don't think he was a dick personally, I think he didn't have the PR personality that's common with riders now and I think he was the enemy in the GP narrative. Rossi isn't just an exciting character, he's smart and he knows how to sell his brand and self. Just watch a GP race intro when the cameras go from rider to rider in the garage. Before Rossi I don't remember many waving or acknowledging the camera, they were all aloof and stoney faced. Now they're all smiley glad hands lifting their drink bottles.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 1, 2014

• Locked thread