Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sirotan posted:

On a last note of absurdity, they found my air intake completely full of corn. Corn!!

So your car was probably being used as a stash for the wildlife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

AlternateAccount posted:

So your car was probably being used as a stash for the wildlife.

That squirrel was the dealer for local animals.

How are they going to get their fix now?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Have you tried opening and closing the door manually?

Look, you're the mechanic here, don't just make up words as excuses, just make my house swallow my car when I drive into it, I don't see why this is such a problem, or are you too incompetent for that?????

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Volmarias posted:

Look, you're the mechanic here, don't just make up words as excuses, just make my house swallow my car when I drive into it, I don't see why this is such a problem, or are you too incompetent for that?????

"Hey, can you whip together a quick engine for me? You work with cars all the time, it should just take you a few minutes."

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Baconroll posted:

I'm guessing they were using some ancient consumer grade network gear. It continues to astonish me how much ancient equipment is still out there - it was only 2 years ago I came across someone still using OS/2 on their desktop...

I had to use all my powers of persuasion to get my colleagues to accept the fact that windows 95 books are really not useful to our library patrons anymore. This was in 2012 at one location and i had to do the same song and dance in 2013 at another location. The weird thing is that when we dropped the books patrons started responding with "You're right, it is an old rear end system and I should probably upgrade" and then they did. Sometimes it amazes me how much we influence people.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

"Hey my car isn't working, can you fix it? Its a blue sedan and was working fine yesterday if that helps. It's in my driveway about an hour away. Also I'll be on vacation for the next two weeks so whenever you get a chance is fine. Thanks bye!"

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
"Im having more problems with my personal car. It was working fine yesterday but when I got home today the front of the car was crushed. I talked to everyone at the house and nobody knows what happened. The only thing I can think of is this stems from when you helped me change a flat tire six months ago. I need you to come over tonight and fix this, and you should do it for free becuase you caused this problem in the first place."

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
so i'm trying to build out a bunch of blade servers for a customer. (you know, tiny blades, memory and no disk) so i'm trying to get storage provisioned. The storage guy I have right now is based in india, because most of our regular storage guys are dealing with some massive storage issues.

:eng101: Hey i need some storage provisioned for these blades. port names are...
:koos: nope! no storage until an OS is deployed on them per procedure XYZ.
:eng101: Great!! That makes this easy.

*sends email off to execs pushing this project.*

I love working here sometimes.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

m.hache posted:

"Hey, can you whip together a quick engine for me? You work with cars all the time, it should just take you a few minutes."

"Hey I know we asked you for an 18 cylinder diesel engine for my daily driver at the start of the project and you said we wouldn't need any more than 6 cylinders and you're already almost done since the deadline is tomorrow, but it seems we're going to go for a 4 cylinder alcohol engine now, you can have this done by tomorrow right since most of the work is already done you just need to take some cylinders out."

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

I wish I had this individuals' back-and-forth with my boss in ticket form.... but our lead sales guy requested that he purchase an LED sign to replace our banner that advertises our sales figures.

my boss and everybody else are all horrified by how tacky it looks, I'm reasonably certain it'll be getting returned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3FSkau6ZhI

:smithicide:

Lamar Smith R-TX fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 31, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

I wish I had this individuals' back-and-forth with my boss in ticket form.... but our lead sales guy requested that he purchase an LED sign to replace our banner that advertises our sales figures.

my boss and everybody else are all horrified by how tacky it looks, I'm reasonably certain it'll be getting returned.

So I assume you guys will also start selling beer and lottery tickets?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Several tickets have come in regarding a delay when placing calls, both internally and outbound. I've isolated the cause (I think?) to the PBX not giving the callers' phone the 200 OK response from the recipient in a timely manner, leading to the callers' phone not sending the ACK response and kicking off the call until after a few seconds of silence. Of course, I have no idea what the gently caress to do about that, so now I have to talk to Digium support. :mad:

And I still can't figure out why the gently caress the phones would just not be able to make outbound calls between 5:00 and 5:20am and suddenly clear up after that, and since sales reps absolutely have to be in that early (30 minutes before we actually open, because ????), short of a miracle breakthrough, I'm probably going to have to come in at 5:00 myself to figure out what the gently caress is going on. Possibly multiple times, because the issue is, of course, intermittent.

:argh:SWITCHVOX:argh:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

Complain that it gives you a headache/triggers your seizures.

As for all the car references I'll have to remember to bring those up when a client pulls that poo poo on me.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

Someone in sales convinced someone higher up to buy a gong

I'm not joking

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Fortis posted:

I wonder if our Switchvox system also can't make calls at 5am. Good thing no one here gives a poo poo!

Vicas posted:

I'm not joking

I bet they don't even know how to play that. They'll walk up and smack it cold in the center a few times and it'll crack :laugh:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Vicas posted:

I'm not joking

Gongs and bells in sales always seems so incredibly Pavlovian and I can't imagine why anyone would willingly subject themselves to that kind of working environment.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Vicas posted:

I'm not joking

Is ringing the gong a fireable offence yet?

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
It literally showed up today, and they cut holes in the ceiling for those chains. At least it's just in reception and not near most people's desks, thank god

I feel like this is some upper management injoke

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Vicas posted:

I'm not joking

Someone in Sales brings a gong, you bring an airhorn. It's the IT way.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Remote controlled nerf gun of some variety, aimed at the gong.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

RFC2324 posted:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-Ghost-Knocker/

Get on that.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Fortis posted:

SIP stuff

Had two customers today who's ISP thought it would be a grand idea to turn on SIP H.225 processing on their modems for no reason whatsoever. Apparently this causes normal SIP packets to get the RTP server address replaced with the signaling server address, but only in the 200 OK packet, the 183 session progress is left unmolested.

I hate SIP, but its better than dealing with PRI\T1 connections.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

RFC2324 posted:

My old office had a few of these floating around, mildly fun.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/8a0f/

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

did someone say IT Airhorn?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The salesman convinced an idiot to buy something expensive and unnecessary. Looks to me like he's pretty good at his job.

Hoopaloops
Oct 21, 2005

Not in IT but our sales department has monopolized both the gong and the airhorn to best distract the entire office at least twice a week capture the celebratory mood of a business line that drives <10% of our total topline. Every sale. Every time.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
A ticket came in and I don't give a gently caress.

So all of the current developers were let go, leave existing projects dangling in the wind.

Not sure what's going to happen if one of those applications glitches and we'll need something done on the back end, but hey, what do I know?

After all, developers are cheap and plentiful, right? You just hire them and plop them right into the project with no problems, right?

:suicide:

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

RadicalR posted:

So all of the current developers were let go, leave existing projects dangling in the wind.

Not sure what's going to happen if one of those applications glitches and we'll need something done on the back end, but hey, what do I know?

After all, developers are cheap and plentiful, right? You just hire them and plop them right into the project with no problems, right?

Time to find a new job, because that company isn't going to last long.

Holy gently caress, management needs to stop being a job in and of itself.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
^ that reminds me of something I read about Facebook. Management isn't a promotion, it's a lateral move for staff who have the aptitude.

"You're a dev? You're now a dev who looks after these other devs. Don't like it? Well ok, we'll get someone else."

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

RadicalR posted:

This makes me appreciate what I've got and that my manager is pretty swell. :unsmith:

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
A :yotj: came in! I'll be moving to the IS Risk team, with the same company, August 18th. Working with some guys I really like, doing online security, RSA, certificates, GPO management and the like. 7% raise too, and no more on call. Which is a joy in itself.

I applied because I was told, repeatedly, after glowing "exceeds expectations" reviews, that it was not feasible to make me a Systems Admin II, from my level 1 position. According to the job description I was already doing the job, just didn't get the title or pay for it. I was told over and over to "keep up the good work" and "stay the course" and "next year we'll see about career patching to a senior position" and all the usual management BS.

Today, my newly vacant position was posted. As a level 2. It went up at 1530, and at 1531 I stopped giving a poo poo about the next 2 weeks of projects and tickets. gently caress 'em.

They'll still get my documentation and everything but holy poo poo I almost got vertigo from how fast my morale dropped.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
We deployed some HP Elitebook 850s. They have a small problem of not being able to wake up from sleep (found a fix that works though).

Before I applied the fix to a computer, a teacher with a PhD sent us an email saying that this was "UNACCEPTABLE"

How does someone with an advanced degree think using all caps for emphasis is anything other than really goofy?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Perhaps you found the inspiration for the Earl of Lemongrab.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RadicalR posted:

Perhaps you found the inspiration for the Earl of Lemongrab.

I read this as "Perhaps you should take inspiration" and I was going to say that everybody should.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

That's Doctor Teacher to you, computer butler! I am very important as you should be able to tell because of the very important letters after my name and this Rip Van Winkle laptop is completely UNACCEPTABLE for someone as important as me so you better FIX IT RIGHT NOW before I type more things in ALL CAPS and maybe UNDERLINE them too!!!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

SamDabbers posted:

That's Doctor Teacher to you, computer butler! I am very important as you should be able to tell because of the very important letters after my name and this Rip Van Winkle laptop is completely UNACCEPTABLE for someone as important as me so you better FIX IT RIGHT NOW before I type more things in ALL CAPS and maybe UNDERLINE them too!!!

Did someone say Van Winkle?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Relevant:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/07/30/336584438/why-your-small-batch-whiskey-might-taste-a-lot-like-the-others

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
INC0000345678

Marketing Director's computer out of space. Please clean up.

Director keeps deleting files, but computer fills up overnight. Please investigate.

Spoke with Director. Director connects to unsecured wireless connection and leaves computer on all night.

Performed basic forensic analysis. Deleted several dozen GB of non work related material. Advised Director that his computer is being used to transfer potentially illegal files and that confidential information likely compromised.

Advised he only connect to secure wireless going forward.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

tango alpha delta posted:

INC0000345678

Director keeps deleting files, but computer fills up overnight. Please investigate.

Spoke with Director. Director connects to unsecured wireless connection and leaves computer on all night.

Performed basic forensic analysis. Deleted several dozen GB of non work related material. Advised Director that his computer is being used to transfer potentially illegal files and that confidential information likely compromised.

*facepalm*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

tango alpha delta posted:

INC0000345678

What, no wipe & reimage?

• Locked thread