Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

duralict posted:

I just got the starter pack for the new build, and I can't get dfhack to work with it. It just quits instantly when I try to run it separately, and the DFHack tab in the Starter Pack launcher is just a completely blank spreadsheet field. Am I missing something?

I don't think the starter pack for 40.05 has dfhack in it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Is it just me, or does the UI in 40.05 for OSX seem sluggish? The game itself seems fine - I'm getting between 90 and 100 FPS in my new embark. The interface itself doesn't feel as snappy as 34.11. There's a very slight, but noticeable lag in any kind of input (scrolling the map, interacting with any menu, etc).

Maybe it's the fact that I'm using Ironhand. Come to think of it, when I played a bit of the initial 40.X release (which was purely vanilla), I don't recall the interface feeling any less responsive than 34.11.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

mr. why posted:

Is it just me, or does the UI in 40.05 for OSX seem sluggish? The game itself seems fine - I'm getting between 90 and 100 FPS in my new embark. The interface itself doesn't feel as snappy as 34.11. There's a very slight, but noticeable lag in any kind of input (scrolling the map, interacting with any menu, etc).

Maybe it's the fact that I'm using Ironhand. Come to think of it, when I played a bit of the initial 40.X release (which was purely vanilla), I don't recall the interface feeling any less responsive than 34.11.

it's not just you. I've definitely noticed a general lack of ui responsiveness and every once in a while the FPS will drop to single digits for a couple of seconds. didn't notice it before 40.05.

I did also notice that in 40.05 the game doesn't pause and do world gen at the change of seasons like it did in 40.01-.04, so maybe it's doing it continuously in the background?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

babies havin rabies posted:

Try running:

code:
sudo apt-get install qtchooser qtbase5-dev qtbase5-dev-tools qtscript5-dev qt5-qmake libqt5script5 libqt5scripttools5 libqxt-core0 libqxt-gui0
This is from the github page and are the packages needed to compile DT from source. Worked for me on Ubuntu 14.04

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm not sure if it's related to something I was trying yesterday to fix this but Ubuntu wouldn't boot at all today, I had to mess around fixing packages in recovery and finally ended up reinstalling the desktop entirely, which thankfully brought it back, but I needed to mess around more to get the touchpad working again.

Aaanyway, that line gives me:

code:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package qtchooser
E: Unable to locate package qtbase5-dev
E: Unable to locate package qtbase5-dev-tools
E: Unable to locate package qtscript5-dev
E: Unable to locate package qt5-qmake
E: Unable to locate package libqt5script5
E: Unable to locate package libqt5scripttools5
Therapist still not working though.

Am I supposed to be in a certain directory when running it? If not is there anything else I'm missing you think, bearing in mind I really don't have a clue what I'm doing.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Forgotten beasts made out of random crap can sometimes be pushovers. Coral does not seem to be one of the things that makes them a pushover. I found The Mucous Shaft, a coral quadruped (whose deadly gas seems to have failed him) squatting in the ruins of my old fort (which he never even got inside, it was a Giant Cave Spider who wound up murdering everyone) and it took quite a long time of beating him in the neck with a warhammer before it shattered. From the time when it was skulking in the caves I knew that it had a pretty deadly kick, as it managed to stomp several local animals into gore with a single blow. Wasn't really expecting the adventurer to get lucky long enough to get the last blow in. Now I need to make sure to keep them alive to retire somewhere else, and carry with them the masterpieces of the old fort.

e: Also found two merchants and a wagon chilling in the caves, which is weird.

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 1, 2014

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Dashticle posted:

Am I supposed to be in a certain directory when running it? If not is there anything else I'm missing you think, bearing in mind I really don't have a clue what I'm doing.

Try running:

code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Once those finish, try that apt-get install again (don't forget sudo). If that doesn't work, you may be missing the necessary repo in your apt config.

cr4zyd
Mar 31, 2011

I threw two military squads at it expecting them all to die and....

How underwhelming... (This is the entire combat report)

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

SNOWMAN WANT HUG!

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

mr. why posted:

Try running:

code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Once those finish, try that apt-get install again (don't forget sudo). If that doesn't work, you may be missing the necessary repo in your apt config.

Unfortunately this didnt work, but I finally got all the right packages I think. I got them by following the advice here, then running the line provided by babies havin rabies.

So onward and after update/upgrade again, I get an exciting new error message when trying to run DT:
code:
./DwarfTherapist: symbol lookup error: ./DwarfTherapist: undefined symbol: _ZN11QHeaderView10setVisibleEb
Which seems to be at least documented as I am seeing other linux people in the Bay12 Therapist thread complaining about it... although at this point I've been at this for hours and am going to get drunk and try this again tomorrow. Although if anybody has any more advice It would be much appreciated otherwise I'll just keep an eye out for updates/fixes.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

So what level should the third caverns be on? I hit cavern level two at around 40, and now I'm at 130 with no sign of anything but rock.

I tried branching out a little every 10 Z-levels or so but I'm not finding much of anything.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

cr4zyd posted:

Well, go find a snowman and kick them in the head and see how they hold up in real life.

Random beasts made out of materials like sand or snow or mist are extremely flimsy.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

cr4zyd posted:

It's good!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure I would describe scoring a field goal with the head of an embodiment of the elemental antipathy of nature as underwhelming, exactly.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
My opinion on beasts made of mist is that dwarves are very susceptible to thinking that clouds look like things.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I really hope the invaders automatically win bug gets fixed because it kind of makes the world running in the background a little pointless when some goblin bandits can just go from site to site and wipe out your whole civilization.

All 9 of my civilization's sites just got conquered according to the outpost liaison.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
The way the devlog read, it seems like the invaders automatically winning thing is less of a bug and more of a programming shortcoming/feature that didn't make it to this release. That means it'd probably going to be like that until the next major release, however many years later that will be.

Moridin920 posted:

I usually have a dormitory as the first sleeping area. I'd rather have the starting 7 just do that and spend time getting the fort going rather than digging out individual bedrooms that early.

Also as a temporary overflow bed area when you get those 30 dwarf migrant waves.

Usually the dorm lasts a year or so before I get on top of individual bedrooms.

I was wondering if there's any functional difference between a bunch of beds set up on the ground vs a properly designated dormitory room. I know personal rooms give good thoughts, and not having a room gives a negative thought. Are designated dormitories happiness-neutral?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spoggerific posted:

The way the devlog read, it seems like the invaders automatically winning thing is less of a bug and more of a programming shortcoming/feature that didn't make it to this release. That means it'd probably going to be like that until the next major release, however many years later that will be.

I was wondering if there's any functional difference between a bunch of beds set up on the ground vs a properly designated dormitory room. I know personal rooms give good thoughts, and not having a room gives a negative thought. Are designated dormitories happiness-neutral?

That's kind of depressing. Maybe I can hope for some DFhack magic.

And yeah as far as I know they only get a negative thought from sleeping without a proper bed and a positive thought for sleeping in their own room so the dorm would trigger neither of those.

Also I thought the dwarves not using weapons and just wrestling instead was resolved but all my dwarves are just punching each other in sparring and now they're all wrestlers.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 1, 2014

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Zereth posted:

Well, go find a snowman and kick them in the head and see how they hold up in real life.

Random beasts made out of materials like sand or snow or mist are extremely flimsy.

Yet they still manage to go on centuries long killing sprees. I have to wonder what the Dwarves were doing until you take command.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Grey Hunter posted:

Yet they still manage to go on centuries long killing sprees. I have to wonder what the Dwarves were doing until you take command.

They were busy being terrified. In this release I've had recruits become terrified and run away while beating on an unconscious camel.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Angela Christine posted:

They were busy being terrified. In this release I've had recruits become terrified and run away while beating on an unconscious camel.

Dromedary or bactrian?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I do like the emotions and what not. Toned down a touch would be good maybe but it's cool seeing the recruits say 'gently caress this' at the first sign of trouble and break while the hardened warriors stay to fight on.

If merchants weren't so horrified by a dead wildlife carcass that they abandon everything they are hauling and run screaming into the woods that would be good though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

moller posted:

Dromedary or bactrian?

Dromedary.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Selklubber posted:

Well not two years fixing bugs. After some months doing new stuff he could take a break from that, spend some weeks fixing bugs then going back to the new stuff. The bug where dwarves stand on the tile they're trying to build a wall on for example.

I totally get what you're saying, but doing this would be much much harder than it sounds.

The reason is, what you have is a released version of DF, right? And then Toady takes that codebase and begins modifying it as he works on his latest megaproject.

Now, he wants to stop working on his new thing mid-way through, and instead fix bugs for a few days or weeks and release the bugfixes to the public. Which code base does he work on?

If he works on the old released codebase, then none of his fixes will be in the new one he's already been working on for months/a year.

If he works on the new codebase with the new stuff in it, he'll have fixed bugs, but he can't actually release that to the public, because his megaproject is incomplete and (presumably) totally not working yet, e.g. the release would be broken as gently caress.

Basically he'd have to fix each bug in both codebases. Which is a thing! It's a thing lots of companies do all the time; you fix in the new codeline and then "backport" the bugfix to older release versions. But doing this costs time and effort, and also requires you to have a good version control regime set up, with good QA going on to insure that backporting a bugfix doesn't cause some kind of regression or spawn a new bug. Typically organizations that do this kind of thing have a lots of programmers, sometimes even whole teams (with release managers, QA, programmers, and project managers all working together) to ensure that bugfix updates on previously-released codelines meet reasonable quality standards and don't actually break those older releases.

Toady being a one-man self-taught programmer most likely does not have that kind of setup. He may never have even attempted backporting before, or even know that it's a thing. Or he does, but does not feel it's worth it to backport when he considers the entire project a pre-release alpha... and even when he goes 2+ years between releases, he still receives donations of like $1500 to $4000 a month to live on.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Pretty sure Toady's 'version control' is a series of folders each named variations of "New version" "Newest version" "Very newest version" "REAL newest version" &c.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

hailthefish posted:

Pretty sure Toady's 'version control' is a series of folders each named variations of "New version" "Newest version" "Very newest version" "REAL newest version" &c.

Yes, pretty much. From his AMA a year ago:

Toady One posted:

I don't use version control -- I didn't like the feeling of having the code get committed into a black box thingy with no immediate upside. It would make more sense to me if I were working with other programmers. I have some derived objects, but I don't adhere to any kind of overall OOP framework. I don't have types tacked on my variable names or whatever goes on there. I'm not sure how to make unit testing practical time-wise, since it seems like there's an awful lot to set up and especially to maintain.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Let's get John Carmack to follow behind Toady One code-wise and do cleanup work.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

The upside is that you can easily revert any chunk of code to a previous version if you gently caress something up! And see exactly what you've changed! The downside is that you have to set up for five minutes!!

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Dashticle posted:

Unfortunately this didnt work, but I finally got all the right packages I think. I got them by following the advice here, then running the line provided by babies havin rabies.

So onward and after update/upgrade again, I get an exciting new error message when trying to run DT:
code:
./DwarfTherapist: symbol lookup error: ./DwarfTherapist: undefined symbol: _ZN11QHeaderView10setVisibleEb
Which seems to be at least documented as I am seeing other linux people in the Bay12 Therapist thread complaining about it... although at this point I've been at this for hours and am going to get drunk and try this again tomorrow. Although if anybody has any more advice It would be much appreciated otherwise I'll just keep an eye out for updates/fixes.

Exactly what distro/release are you running at the moment? I got the same result when I added that PPA into Ubuntu 12.04, and was fixed by upgrading to 14.04. I tried some other stuff in-between like compiling DT from the source, to the point where it was only screaming about needing its memory offsets (but not running yet mind you). Eventually I decided I just needed the upgrade anyway.

Edit: I had some time to kill this morning, so I installed 12.04 into a VM and downloaded that PPA's packages. Same error. I then tried putting Trusty's main restricted repositories into sources.list and re-downloading the packages, however I got the same error. The only way I got DT to run was by building from source, and it started right up this time. The instructions for building are here and in case you're unfamiliar with installing from source I think the following commands will work for you:

https://github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/blob/master/BUILDING.txt

code:
sudo apt-get install git make build-essential
git clone git://github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist.git
cd Dwarf-Therapist
qmake -qt=5
make
(Compiling will take a while)
sudo make install

cd /usr/bin
sh dwarftherapist
It only comes with 34.11 memory layouts, so after this you will want to copy the contents of your LNP DT memory_layouts folder in
code:
[Location of LNP]/LNP/utilities/dwarftherapist/etc/memory_layouts/linux 
- to -
/usr/share/dwarftherapist/etc/memorylayouts/linux
You will likely need to do this as root.

What I think is going on is that the binary that ships with LNP is simply compiled on 14.04 or something similar and the binary does not know where to look for QT5 on any other setup. If this is the case it is likely the reason why the actual github page does not provide a Linux binary as with Win/OSX.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 1, 2014

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

tinkerttoy posted:

Thanks! On the off-chance that my picking them up and taking them away from their nest doesn't screw things up, which it probably will, it'll be pretty drat funny to suddenly unleash several small dragons upon a random hamlet.

This won't work, sadly, dragon eggs do not hatch in the current version. In fact, this is a bug he just fixed in the unreleased version.

E: from the devblog: removed requirement that a creature have a baby/child state to breed completely

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Oh dear, one of the human merchants seem to have climbed into a tree, or perhaps spawned in it, and couldn't get down. That explains why they never finished unpacking their goods when they were visiting. Now he's gone stark raving mad, along with his yak cow.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

So are custom professions in Dwarf Therapist broken? Whenever I sort by profession it sorts by DF defaults instead (woodcutter, planter etc). It's impossible to get any oversight now.

edit: It turns out it just doesn't work on OSX :negative:

Dante fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 1, 2014

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Can i update 40.03 to 40.05 without breaking saves?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I suppose, but there was a big pile of raw changes in version .05. Hope you weren't running mods.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

A human heart posted:

Is it possible to get the divine metals into fort mode?

It would be a pretty amazing gameplay mechanic for it to be intentional that the player should occaisionally retire a fort, use an adventurer to personally kill a demon/loot a vault/get a couple stacks of divine metal bars, and then bring them to the fort, then unretire the fort to be able to craft badass stuff. That type of back-and-forth would really raise DF to a whole new even crazier level.

Is that actually possible now or are there too many bugs, such as the high chance that your fort will get conquered during retirement?

Edit: And now that adventurer's have personalities, it would be great if we could micromanage that. Then a person could build a town using retired adventurer's whose personalities were customized. One of those things that lets true micromanagers go absolutely nuts, and the rest of us can just admire huge Minecraft style works of madness. Someone could recreate a movie by stocking a designed village with specific personalities and seeing what happens. Dwarf Machinema.

reading fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 1, 2014

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Selklubber posted:

I know, it was just an example of a bug he fixed in a day, when it's been existing for at least two years.

As someone who works in an agile dev environment on the "I file bugs, why aren't they fixed in a timely fashion" side for Real Money, I can probably tell you that most bugs are treated equal despite prioritization, even seemingly simple bugs. It's an arcane process 100% at the arbitration of powerful forces beyond mortal ken.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dante posted:

So are custom professions in Dwarf Therapist broken? Whenever I sort by profession it sorts by DF defaults instead (woodcutter, planter etc). It's impossible to get any oversight now.

edit: It turns out it just doesn't work on OSX :negative:

That bug is about setting them, but if you set them from within the game then DT should be able to sort.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If I dig an underground pond and feed it directly from the brook, leaving an active conncetion, will it populate with fish for my dwarves to catch?

And if so, what if I feed it through fortifications or a grate?

Floodgate/door?

I'm actually playing for the first time since, like, halfway through the last thread, and I can't remember this crap.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Yeah, the fish go where the stream connects. I think vermin fish can make it through vertical bars and such, but I could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, vermin don't move like actual creatures do, so they ignore things like grates.