Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

paranoid randroid posted:

dunno, i just made it up. but i imagine it involves a lot of drunken shouting and throwing things.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Every player is called Bruce. Roos instead of sheep. Kicking other players is encouraged.

I was wrong to assume I would hate it, because I actually love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Majorian posted:

I was wrong to assume I would hate it, because I actually love it.

Put another grain on the barby!

What is it with people becoming obsessed with Dominion and its expansions? I played a few times, it's all right, don't feel a craving for it, or anything.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Pope Guilty posted:

Illuminati is the ultimate friendship-killing game.

Agreed on both counts.

Has anyone here managed to get a game of gently caress You, Buddy going? The game Nash came up with at Rand. The directions I can find online are sort of vague and don't seem to cover all possible moves, but it's possible that I'm just dumb and need to try it out.

Edit: Oh, I just found a wiki page under the title So Long, Sucker which seems to have more concise rules.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Do Australians actually herd kangaroos in lieu of sheep?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

moller posted:

Agreed on both counts.

Has anyone here managed to get a game of gently caress You, Buddy going? The game Nash came up with at Rand. The directions I can find online are sort of vague and don't seem to cover all possible moves, but it's possible that I'm just dumb and need to try it out.

Edit: Oh, I just found a wiki page under the title So Long, Sucker which seems to have more concise rules.

I'd have to find three other nutcases to try it with. But then they will become my mortal enemies. Hmm...

nutranurse posted:

They do in my headcanon.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I've heard that roo meat is tasty but extremely gamey and thus takes a lot of effort to prepare decently. Also going out and trying to cull one is probably a big no-no these days, and they're too heavy to 'accidentally' hit with your ute.

moccasins thylacine AFL kokoda

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

nutranurse posted:

Sadly no. Kangaroo meat isn't uncommon though, and it's healthy and better for the environment than most other meat. Quite gamey.

Incidentally we've got more sheep than almost anywhere else in the world.

E: It doesn't take much effort to prepare; just a little bit more than beef. It's low fat which means you need to cook it fairly rare, and be careful it doesn't dry out.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 1, 2014

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
It's also my understanding that y'all have a poo poo-ton of camels for no reason that I can discern.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Every player is called Bruce. Roos instead of sheep. Kicking other players is encouraged.
First person to use the proper, full version of a word is forced to box a kangaroo.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

illrepute posted:

It's also my understanding that y'all have a poo poo-ton of camels for no reason that I can discern.

Are they Australian Demon Camels who store venom in stead of water?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

nutranurse posted:

Are they Australian Demon Camels who store venom in stead of water?
Normal camels, sadly.

They were imported a bit over a century ago, because of the most Australian things to do is introduce imported species without actually thinking about what could happen.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Sins of the father.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
at least the camels didnt breed explosively. although i do enjoy the image of a bunch of feral camels blocking a guys driveway. bloody droms!

moller
Jan 10, 2007

at least the camels didnt breed explosively. although i do enjoy the image of a bunch of feral camels blocking a guys driveway. bloody droms!

I would think bactrians would hump more.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

at least the camels didnt breed explosively.
Actually...

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Camels carried my baby across the Northern Territory!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

okay but did you have to deploy biological weapons against them like with the rabbits

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

illrepute posted:

Better than horses for the outback.

To tie this all back to kids movies the outback is on my short list to visit and it's at least 50% because of Rescuers Down Under.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

okay but did you have to deploy biological weapons against them like with the rabbits

According to wiki the camels got to nearly 1 mill in population so the Australians had to kill 700,000 of them. This was between 2008 - 2013, so basically a camel holocaust.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
purge the dromedary. suffer not the bactrian to live.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
I still fear going to Australia because I was exposed to that Cane Toad documentary multiple times at a young age and my mental image of Australia involves it being buried under a thick layer of those disgusting fuckers.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

I wonder how many Camel Hunters are out of work in Australia now that the population's been drastically reduced.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I recently played Diplomacy with some of my friends and now I can't help but think that one of them is constantly scheming and manipulating me. :(

First time ever playing and I end up as A-H, immediately forge an alliange with Germany, no Italy player, and we're stuck between two BFF ladies as England/France who write in each others diaries and two histrionic backstabbers as Russia/Turkey, Russia steadfastly refusing any deals and Turkey as the ingratiating triplecrosser, co-dependently bickering their way across the Steppe. Fuckers.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 1, 2014

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
100% of my knowledge of australia is based on monty python sketches, the simpsons where they go to australia, and reading auspol

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Popular Thug Drink posted:

I recently played Diplomacy with some of my friends and now I can't help but think that one of them is constantly scheming and manipulating me. :(

It's all right, all friends manipulate each other. :buddy:

moller
Jan 10, 2007

cafel posted:

I still fear going to Australia because I was exposed to that Cane Toad documentary multiple times at a young age and my mental image of Australia involves it being buried under a thick layer of those disgusting fuckers.

Sometime I call him Greeny, sometimes I call him Red, sometimes I call him Cane, sometimes I call him Dairy Queen.

The same director made a film about chickens for PBS which is totally worth a watch.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

cafel posted:

Yeah, they're a real problem in the northern states, and thankfully global warming is going to let them spread further south.

We love deploying actual weapons against animals, to the point where we fought a war against Emus. It didn't go that well.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Doctor Spaceman posted:

We love deploying actual weapons against animals, to the point where we fought a war against Emus. It didn't go that well.

Humans losing to wildlife. Shameful humans.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Humans losing to wildlife. Shameful humans.

Werner Herzog would be most disappointed.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Holy poo poo, this is the funniest poo poo I've heard in long, long time.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

We love deploying actual weapons against animals, to the point where we fought a war against Emus.

Hahahaha I love that they vaguely used the wikipedia format for actual wars

cafel posted:

The Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project is the best podcast I've listened to. The episode about a lovely Irish Poet, Patrick McMahon, is by far the highlight of its brief run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8fRp4i8gCY

Song begins at about 1:50.

edit:vvvvvv ahahahaha oh my god

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 1, 2014

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.

Jagchosis posted:

Hahahaha I love that they vaguely used the wikipedia format for actual wars

It used to be even better.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

kelvron posted:

New Zealand Politics are weird.

http://colincraig.co.nz

it's a parody page

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

cafel posted:

Yeah, each of them is unbelievably funny, although my favorite is probably Matt Gourley as HR Giger. The fact that Giger is dead IRL makes me sufferings.

Jagchosis posted:

The Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project is the best podcast I've listened to. The episode about a lovely Irish Poet, Patrick McMahon, is by far the highlight of its brief run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8fRp4i8gCY

Song begins at about 1:50.

I like the Don DiMello and August Lindt ones best, but that one's a strong one too. If you haven't listened to the Comedy Bang Bang 300th episode, Patrick makes an appearance.:)

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Noooo, you're not supposed to actually play frolf. :smith:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Ladies and gents, can anybody please explain to me the appeal of that loving awful "I'm Living a Life of Dreams" song that plays during the current wave of Apple ads? When did we as a culture decide that weird flat monotone singing was good? And why won't these drat kids get off my lawn?!:argh:

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

extremely lo-fi folk/acoustic music is a thing, i kinda like that song but i can see why other would object. i went to a lot of shows with this style of music in college, its kinda weird to see it in apple commercials in 2014.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan Oat posted:

extremely lo-fi folk/acoustic music is a thing, i kinda like that song but i can see why other would object. i went to a lot of shows with this style of music in college, its kinda weird to see it in apple commercials in 2014.

Field recordings own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBoH3AjO1QA

Warning: Field recording.

Also, blaming "kids today" for a commercial you saw on television is weird because I don't think anyone under the age of 50 watches television outside of a streaming/on-demand context.

moller fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 1, 2014

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

i unironically enjoyed that thank you for sharing it

speaking of HIPSTERS!!!!!! i remember getting really mad in like 2006 or so when black metal started getting written up in pitchfork and because i look pretty hipsterish i was afraid people would question my authenticity at shows. being 19 was cool.

e: err uhh to clarify what i mean is i had been listening to black metal for years and didnt want all the kvlt longhairs to assume that i was some interloper looking for a new fad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is it worse to like music written up in pitchfork or to like black metal?

• Locked thread