Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

jonjonaug posted:

Psycho-Pass got a video game announced. It's being produced by 5pb with cooperation from Nitro+. Also it's for the XBox One and has Kinect support.

...wait what? I'm not even sure how to react to this other than with bemusement.

They're really goin for it with this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
They just need to take the hacking/scanning of people from Watch_Dogs and do it RIGHT this time. There's actually a lot of cool approaches to take with a Psycho-Pass game. You get a cloudy pass early, and have to hide from the near-infinte pass scanners--Stealth game. You're with the investigation squad going around trying to solve crimes--mystery/detective game. Hell, what if they made a game where you play as the Sibyl system, and need to keep managing the general population and keeping them under control? That one would probably make for a good cell-phone game, and I know those are all the rage in Japan.

It'll probably just turn out to be a crappy game that follows the plotline of the show though. Better to have it exist than not, I guess.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pretty sure it's a Visual Novel type thing rather than an actual game.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Ah, okay. That actually could be pretty cool then, sticking to telling a good story and not worrying about making it work in a game-y way.

I hope it's something akin to a dating sim, or other choose-your-romance game like Steins;Gate, and the only way to get a good ending is to date the person SIBYL TELL YOU TO DATE. All the other choices should result in various bad ends.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Any game based on this series that doesn't tell me exactly what each and every color variation of my Psycho-Pass says about my psyche, mood-ring style, should be regarded as an instant failure.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I think if anyone tried to make a Psycho Pass or really any kind of GitS type video game they're going to fail to meet the expectations that the show presents.

It would have to be open world and include all the awesome features of the show as completely dynamic mechanics that work completely on their own.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

They already had a GiTS videogame for the PS2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_in_the_Shell:_Stand_Alone_Complex_%28PS2%29

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Acer Pilot posted:

They already had a GiTS videogame for the PS2.

There was also one for PSX where you drove a tachikoma.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
The SAC game is a pretty generic 3rd person shooter/brawler. Also for some reason you can't really make out anyone's character portrait.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
A really good GiTS game would involve playing each member in different game types toward a single objective. Like stealth, detective work, sniping, heavy weapons action, and of course some sort of hacking. Heck, they could arbitrarily assign roles to the less distinctive members, like driving and melee combat. Too bad that will never happen! By contrast, a psychopass game would work fine if it was primarily detective work with some light action components.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Psycho Pass as a P&C adventure game would be pretty great, but that type of game doesn't seem to have ever taken hold in Japan.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Looks season 2 will see Tow Ubukata [Fafner, Ghost in the Shell Arise, Mardock Scramble] taking over the role held by Gen Urubochi for the first season:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-06-23/psycho-pass-2-scripts-overseen-by-fafner-tow-ubukata/.75843

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I was about to be disappointed about that but then I checked the ANN article; apparently he did the series composition for Le Chevalier D'Eon? Maybe it's not so bad after all.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Great Rumbler posted:

Looks season 2 will see Tow Ubukata [Fafner, Ghost in the Shell Arise, Mardock Scramble] taking over the role held by Gen Urubochi for the first season:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-06-23/psycho-pass-2-scripts-overseen-by-fafner-tow-ubukata/.75843

Isn't he the guy who wrote the Mardock Scramble series of movies?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Wark Say posted:

Yes. He's an okay writer and the Mardock Scramble movies are pretty good, even though I wish the second two held up to the action scene the first movie had and I believe Urobuchi is at least going to supervise. I don't think there's any cause for concern.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Wark Say posted:

The original books and the anime movie and manga adaptations, yes.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
This doesn't mean Urobuchi is entirely out of the project right? He's still the lead writer?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

ViggyNash posted:

This doesn't mean Urobuchi is entirely out of the project right? He's still the lead writer?

He's probably not entirely out of the project, but it sounds like he'll be in more of a supervisor role instead of writing all the individual scripts like he did in the first season.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Great Rumbler posted:

The original books and the anime movie and manga adaptations, yes.

Neat! Did the movies differ / deviate in any significant way from the books? It appears (if Wikipedia is right) to have been serialized in an old-school Science Fiction magazine. gently caress, I guess what I'm trying to ask is: Are the novels good on their own? I kinda want to revisit the story without having to hear Megumi Hayashibara doing her most :effort: performance that I can recall.

Great Rumbler posted:

He's probably not entirely out of the project, but it sounds like he'll be in more of a supervisor role instead of writing all the individual scripts like he did in the first season.

Is he gonna be able to manage, though? I mean, Kamen Rider Gaim is still on the air (and I'm loving every single tasty, juicy minute of it), so it seems rather unlikely.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I'm not sure if it's because I already know the ending, but after watching the first episode of extended edition (2 first episodes roughly, I suppose?) I have to say the show feels a lot less psychotic and pacing seems better than before than in the original.

Noticed few small nods to the ending which were the lab person saying to Akane that why'd she pick her job considering her high scores/non-cloudy Psycho Pass, and telling her to become an official and change the system (Which, as I understand would be kind of difficult since the system pretty much ranks people how much threat they are to the system itself). Akane being all expressionless regardless of her teasing, completely being somewhere else.

Also the old guy mentioning that he can see latent criminals by just looking at them/observing them and that's why he has so high score himself is clearly nod to the ending.

Not sure if those parts were in the original. But I did notice a few small scenes added in which made the pacing better and explained the setting a little more.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 26, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The first I distinctly remember from the original, but I don't remember the second.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I'm watching the new redo and enjoying it. I can't say that I recall any specific differences, but I'm really looking forward to the new season. I really want to see Akame as a hard-bitten, seasoned detective with the knowledge of how things really exist in her society just doing stuff.

Maybe it's because I already know about Makishma, but his role and purpose seems more clear the second time around. Spooky-Boogie is as delightful as ever.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Never forget Spooky Boogie :911:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

There was also one for PSX where you drove a tachikoma.

It was fun too since you could stick to walls and zoom all over the drat place, had a bunch of original animation as well.

Anyway, I've had this on my "to watch" list forever now and thought that since i'm trying out Funi's streaming again now was the time to give it a look. Anyway, I watched the first 4 episodes and have been enjoying it, but I just now realized that they are also streaming the newly repackaged version.:doh:

So, being as I'm only likely to watch a couple episodes a week anyway should I just watch the new version? Is it literally just two episodes stuck together per week or is it an entire re-edit?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

a kitten posted:

It was fun too since you could stick to walls and zoom all over the drat place, had a bunch of original animation as well.

Anyway, I've had this on my "to watch" list forever now and thought that since i'm trying out Funi's streaming again now was the time to give it a look. Anyway, I watched the first 4 episodes and have been enjoying it, but I just now realized that they are also streaming the newly repackaged version.:doh:

So, being as I'm only likely to watch a couple episodes a week anyway should I just watch the new version? Is it literally just two episodes stuck together per week or is it an entire re-edit?

It has extra scenes and cleaned-up animation, apparently.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

It has extra scenes and cleaned-up animation, apparently.

That sounded like a good enough reason to switch to the extended versions so I did and I just wanted to say that hearing Japanese speakers repeatedly say Spooky Boogie is inexplicably hilarious and I hope she sticks around for a while.

edit: welp :ohdear:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 3, 2014

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Great Rumbler posted:

I know I was initially disappointed with Arise, but the 3rd one tied things together and I really enjoyed it. Even if the man is only an OK writer, some of his previous work is similar and it seems he has a decent base to work off of.

I've only watched the first few episodes of the re-work, but I've noticed some animation improvements. Mostly re-watching to pick up on anything I missed since I liked it so much though.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfQipxKwPbo

Season Two Trailer is out

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

That ther-bomb-eter is hilarious.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Finished up watching the fancy special edition version of this, and while it didn't totally blow me away I do think it was a pretty solid show over all. Nothing particularly hilarious jumped out at me in regards to the bad animation either, so it definitely seemed they fixed most of that up for this version too. (I'm not the harshest critic of wonky animation though)

While it did end with some obvious sequel hooks, I'm not sure that it actually needs a second season, sometimes things should just end and you can let your mind play with the idea of what might happen from there.

Of course, that's moot since a second season is coming soon, hopefully an almost complete change of staff and studio will still make a decent show! It worked so well for Gunslinger Girl...

also

Spoooky Booogie

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

a kitten posted:

hopefully an almost complete change of staff and studio will still make a decent show! It worked so well for Gunslinger Girl...

And that was arguably some of Gunslinger Girl's strongest material... But it worked out for FMP! Of course, it's not exactly a herculean task to be better at anime than poor old Gonzo.

The staff and studio changes has me pretty worried about S2 Psycho-Pass. I fear the cardboard filler insert in my S1 artbox may be taking up permanent residence...

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Just watched the S2 trailer and debating if I should watch the Extended S1 to refresh my memory? I thought the original was 7/10 for interesting world and lackluster ending w/no resolution.

Akane is one of my top anime protagonists from recent years if that counts for anything.

Kougami should've died along with Makishima. He didn't change much apart from once cool detective gone bad.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

The new scenes they added to s1 don't seem like required viewing. A lot of internal monologue over still frames that don't really add much.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

From what I understand they didn't add anything new to the plot so you're not missing any new revelations or plot points, but if you just want to re-watch it my guess would be that the new edit would be the way to go. I thought it worked quite well as 11 hour(ish) long episodes.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

a kitten posted:

From what I understand they didn't add anything new to the plot so you're not missing any new revelations or plot points, but if you just want to re-watch it my guess would be that the new edit would be the way to go. I thought it worked quite well as 11 hour(ish) long episodes.

Good to hear I kinda assumed it'd be choppy or rushed since they might have had to skip over minor scenes to stay within the series limit. I wonder if someone compiled a list of all the added internal monologues somewhere so I can just read it to save time.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I watched the extended edition in preparation for S2 because I didn't remember S1 very well.

Now, having admitted that I don't remember S1 very well, I think the EE was better. Most of the stuff which appeared new to me seemed to be scenes introducing and fleshing out Makishima and his motivations, which made the whole thing feel more adversarial, which I liked. Plus they added a scene which gave some more background for... uh... the red-headed enforcer who had no real personality. Which was nice.
But not enough to make me remember his name.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
I really hope Season 2 is good. I feel like so much anime just lucks out at being good and then they do a sequel with no one from the original and it's terrible a la Eureka Seven vs Eureka Seven: AO which totally forgot the plot and characters of it's predecessor.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I don't really feel like sitting down with the whole series again but I'm definitely going to need to watch the last episode or 2.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

The_White_Crane posted:

Plus they added a scene which gave some more background for... uh... the red-headed enforcer who had no real personality. Which was nice.
But not enough to make me remember his name.

You're not alone, I'm afraid. I refer to the guy as Younger Guy Who Likes Cooking and Games at the office.

It's a challenge to feel bad for his sudden death when I can't remember his name :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Makoto Fukami and Gen Urobuchi, who collaborated on the screenplay for the first season, are working on a Psycho-Pass movie right now:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-09-26/psycho-pass-film-slated-for-january-9-with-gen-urobuchi-makoto-fukami/.79243

The more of it, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

• Locked thread