Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Brotato Broth posted:

I agree with this. While her Wiki entry states that her heart was brought to this church, but the list of "jarred" heart donors don't seem to include her at all. And I can't seem to find any other sources that indicate her heart (or guts for that matter) were removed from her body before burial.

Well, after looking it up in the book that was used as a reference, I can definitely confirm that the wikipedia page must have been sabotage. Always check the references, kids!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
It was Chewbot so we'd research things properly.

I'm onto your schemes, Carmen.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Crupper takes the watch and tries to wind it, but the dial just spins effortlessly.

No good, it's just a shell. The gears have been gutted.
Then he just wanted us to see the date. Wait, what day did you say it was?
July 2nd. And the date on this watch says 3.
Which could either mean virtually anything in the world to do with three, or that something very bad is going to happen tomorrow, if we don’t figure this out.
You're probably right. Come on, Hale, what do we know? There’s so many kings… princes, empresses... who knows this much history?!
Does he expect us to? Maybe we’re just not seeing the forest for the trees? Maybe we don’t have all the clues?

Ok, look. Sun’s starting to go down, we are out of time. We could keep banging our heads against the wall or check out the other Vienna church, where they buried Elisabeth’s body. The heart might be there.
That’s not a church, that’s a crypt. You really want to break into a crypt at night and dig through the corpse of a dead empress hoping to find her organs?
No, I want to get on a plane and get the gently caress out of here! So tell me, Hale! Where are we going?!
I don’t.. the… the church. gently caress me.

An immediately identifiable click echoes from the far end of the tomb, sending ice through Hale's veins. It’s followed by a heavy scrape.

No no no no, anything but...
The door’s loving locked, Crupper. The door’s locked.

Hale starts thrashing at the handle with his foot. The old doors give less than they seem like they should. Crupper stands motionless at the far end of the crypt, then sits with his back against the tomb, his face in his hands.

Pretty sure it's barred, too! Crupper, the gently caress are you doing? Give me a hand!
Never thought this'd be how I’d die.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 1, 2014

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Is that a message on the wall? Next to...that dude?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Guys....

I don't think Carmen's running things anymore.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Awesome!

We are on the right track! and going to die for it

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Examine the message, then inspect the body (Without touching it) and finally check the ceiling where the flashlight is shining.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Get a hold of yourself, Crupper!

Need to read both what is on the wall in blood and what looks like it's carved in the side of the pedestal.

Also someone mentioned the Statue of Liberty earlier in the thread, and the way the flashlight is being held reminds me a lot of that pose.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
We should totally open those coffins, guys! I'm sure we won't get cursed for it. Who knows, there might be a secret passage out.

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

A little late to the party, but...the thing about Auguste and the wife, I thought about it and I realized that we don't know what motivation was taken. It MIGHT be the one where Hale is Carmen's ex-husband, so the "fool and his perfect wife" thing might have been a dig at Hale specifically, to show that she knew he was on the case.

As for the scene-- What is the body hanging by, and who is it? Is it Fast Eddie?

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Who's the stiff? And has he been shot in the gut? Did he follow his gut? Did we?
Is there anything to suggest we might be in immediate danger? Whatever the case we should take a closer look at that message, the body, and what that torch is pointed at if anything.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Thirty minutes pass before Hale finally gives up on the door. He limps back to where Crupper's sitting.

If they were going to kill us we'd be dead.
Come on Crupper, I can't do this by myself.

Crupper reluctantly gets to his feet.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Examine the message, then inspect the body (Without touching it) and finally check the ceiling where the flashlight is shining.

Hale hovers near the message scrawled next to the hanging body.

Killing a man's one thing, writing a message in his blood... loving dire. Have to admit, I'm surprised to see it in English for once. "Try to see things from her perspective, and think about what you did."

Except it's not a "her". I don't recognize this guy, but the suit is Interpol.

The man's hand grips the flashlight hard, most likely held there from rigor mortis. Hale points to a sparkling pin holding the dead man's sleeve in place above his head. Looks like it took quite a beating when it was nailed into the wall.

This diamond's real. I don't see anything along the ceiling. Why would someone put his arm in this position?
And that gunshot wound is real too, but...

Crupper slides a finger across the writing on the wall, which comes off surprisingly easily. He holds it close to his nose.

The hell are you doing?
This is not real. It's lipstick.

Bregor posted:

Need to read both what is on the wall in blood and what looks like it's carved in the side of the pedestal.

Hale goes around to the front of the display, which reads "Franz Joseph, 1830-1916". To it's left, the plaque identifies the casket as belonging to his wife, Elisabeth.

So here's the big question, I guess. We came all this way to find her. And we got nowhere else to go.
Do we open this?

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 1, 2014

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
YES.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Chewbot posted:

"Try to see things from her perspective, and think about what you did."

Oh poo poo!

Open it up!

Edit: Is Fast Eddie a. killing Interpol agents, and b. delivering us a message from Carmen? Written in lipstick? This is getting pretty good.

Bregor fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 1, 2014

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Maybe read the inside of the lid?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I still think something is on the ceiling, we should look up first if we haven't. Definitely need to open up the casket though.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

Look up first, then open that poo poo up.

MoadDib
Apr 4, 2009

Chewbot posted:

"Try to see things from her perspective, and think about what you did."

Do we open this?

Open it up and see if anything is written on the inside of the cover. It's her perspective afterall.

Duckbehindcover
Oct 21, 2010

Hold A to vault
Try seeing things from Elisabeth's perspective. It's the only she involved here (thanks, patriarchy). I bet there's something written on the inside of the coffin, or a clue.

That or Carmen is trying to tell us that we should consider becoming members of VILE.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Duckbehindcover posted:

Try seeing things from Elisabeth's perspective. It's the only she involved here (thanks, patriarchy). I bet there's something written on the inside of the coffin, or a clue.

That or Carmen is trying to tell us that we should consider becoming members of VILE.

Well, from earlier information, sounds like Sandiego and Hale have history. Not all of it nice.

Figure she's pointing out he's somewhat at fault too. Of course, that doesn't hurt its function as a clue. Someone as clever as Carmen has to be running more than one angle at once.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Just a thought. Perhaps this isn't the story of Hale and Crupper. They could die at any time, and new detectives could take their place, picked from the contributions at the beginning of the thread. I would love to be wrong, though :ohdear:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Llab posted:

Just a thought. Perhaps this isn't the story of Hale and Crupper. They could die at any time, and new detectives could take their place, picked from the contributions at the beginning of the thread. I would love to be wrong, though :ohdear:

I thought about that, but if Chewbot is holding to noir conventions then it's likely there will be one lead throughout the story. Hale is probably here to stay (unless we royally gently caress it up).

Crupper could be toast though.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Does that makes Crupper the Miles Archer to Hale's Spade?

Bregor posted:

Crupper could be toast though.

Did not see that, but yeah my thoughts exactly.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
If the pose is a reference to the Statue of Liberty, maybe the perspective we need is hers? Is there anything interesting on the wall where the dead guy is facing towards?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Pseudohog posted:

If the pose is a reference to the Statue of Liberty, maybe the perspective we need is hers? Is there anything interesting on the wall where the dead guy is facing towards?

Could be a clever way to say we need to check the base of the Statue of Liberty based on the angle we see while looking at the corpse.

Preid
May 22, 2014
When/if you open the grave, check the inside of the lid for a possible clue.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
If you get out of this one alive, I can think of a suitable tune to play on the organ in honor of your 'employer', one that's unsubtle and yet speaking a different language, just like her - a nice piece by Mozart. There's just something about it.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Aug 1, 2014

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If we assume Elisabeth is buried on her back, like most people, her "perspective" would be looking at the roof (if the coffin wasn't in the way).

Check the ceiling, and only if we don't find anything open the coffin and see if anything's under the lid.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Jabor posted:

If we assume Elisabeth is buried on her back, like most people, her "perspective" would be looking at the roof (if the coffin wasn't in the way).

Check the ceiling, and only if we don't find anything open the coffin and see if anything's under the lid.

Yeah, I was just about to suggest this. Lie on your back and stare at the ceiling, maybe there's a hint there.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

BiggerJ posted:

If you get out of this one alive, I can think of a suitable tune to play on the organ in honor of your 'employer', one that's unsubtle and yet speaking a different language, just like her - a nice piece by Mozart. There's just something about it.

I thought you were going in a whole different direction. (yes this is actually written by Mozart)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
More I read it, the more fitting the theme from Snatcher is for this LP.

And I am maybe a bit of a kid, cause I combined the clues differently and came to august the month and the third day. Which is so far away it doesn't outright make sense now.

Maybe an event connected to everything else happened on that day?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

MoadDib posted:

Open it up and see if anything is written on the inside of the cover. It's her perspective afterall.

I suggest following this. And have one of the detectives wait in a safe spot of the crypt with his gun out in case something happens, if it's openable by just one of them.

Turos Kensei
Dec 13, 2009
We've already moved on but I would like to point out something I didn't see anyone else mention.

The red ribbon? Back in the day, Barber Shops were also a place where surgery was performed, and bloody bandages would be hung out on a pole, and the wind would cause them to wrap around it, inspiring the classic barber shop pole. Thats where the red comes from, blood. White is bandages. Blue is supposed to be organs. It was stabbed in the heart of that statue with a red ribbon attached to it.

So the heart was almost certainly the right call with that much symbolism.

Alternatively, disregard me because I'm an punsmithing buffoon. :downs:

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Holy poo poo, I've just realized something. Chewbot is deliberately tracking in-story time. He's implementing the original game's time management.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Jabor posted:

We definitely need to check out what the flashlight is pointing to before opening the coffin. I've got a bad feeling this could blow up in our faces if we're not careful, and that's not a figure of speech.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

MoadDib posted:

Yeah, this. Crack it open and check the inside of the lid!

nuvan
Mar 29, 2008

And the gentle call of the feral 3am "Everything is going so well you can't help but panic."
Check the ceiling, then the inside of the lid.

Then, if there's still nothing, get into her coffin, and close the lid. Maybe it's written in glow-in-the-dark ink.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

BiggerJ posted:

Holy hell, how did I never notice this.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Give the corpse a hug. He looks like he's having a bad day. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

nuvan posted:

Check the ceiling, then the inside of the lid.

Then, if there's still nothing, get into her coffin, and close the lid. Maybe it's written in glow-in-the-dark ink.

Or something's going to explode, and either being in her coffin or not being in her coffin will keep us alive. (I have no guesses on which one it will be, or I'd be voting for one or the other.)

In the game, henchmen just sneak henchily across the screen until you've reached the city where you'll capture the thief (if you have a correct warrant and don't run out of time), at which point there start to be attempts on your life but I don't think we can rely on that here.

Also, as far as the dead guy goes: his muscles have clenched with rigor mortis, so he died between six and twenty-four hours ago if Wikipedia isn't misleading me. Is the stain on the wall behind him his blood, or is that lipstick (or paint) as well? (Did Fast Eddie, or a subhenchman, bring in a corpse to make this display, or was the dead guy (a night watchman?) shot in here?)

Assuming we get out before morning and we aren't immediately accused of the murder, we might see if anyone noticed anyone suspicious on the 1st or early on the 2nd. (Perhaps someone in the crypt unusually early for a tourist, if they were here overnight setting up this scene?)

• Locked thread