Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

vigorous sodomy posted:

Movers came and packed my computer. No Planetside for at least a month :(

I can still post so fear not.

I said stop posting no one gives a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Why is the Orion so good and why does everybody use it?

It's got 50 rounds and it does 143 damage, and coming from NC where I either use the SAW or a 200-mag EM6 it's very hard for me to understand why everyone loves it so much, for me at least I shoot people with it and they DON'T DIE or I run out of ammo after killing a dude, which never happens on my NC guy

ComradePotato
Nov 7, 2010

So had some fun with Goon Squad last night, and finally farmed up enough certs to max out my Medi Gun. You guys really weren't exaggerating about how much better that last rank is, were you?

So I'm thinking about getting revive nades next, a few points in nade bando, max out ASC and then C4 I guess? Does that sound like a sensible cert-map?

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Clamps McGraw posted:

It's got 50 rounds and it does 143 damage, and coming from NC where I either use the SAW or a 200-mag EM6 it's very hard for me to understand why everyone loves it so much, for me at least I shoot people with it and they DON'T DIE or I run out of ammo after killing a dude, which never happens on my NC guy

Its about head shots, i regularly clear entire rooms on my own because i'm killing people in 1 second and with max rank AS i can kill 3 dudes, take a couple hits then come out with 50% shield energy left over. The orion teaches you to aim at the head and until you do the gun wont reward you but once you do you'll pretty much become an unstoppable death machine.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Arghy posted:

Its about head shots, i regularly clear entire rooms on my own because i'm killing people in 1 second and with max rank AS i can kill 3 dudes, take a couple hits then come out with 50% shield energy left over. The orion teaches you to aim at the head and until you do the gun wont reward you but once you do you'll pretty much become an unstoppable death machine.

So how is that different to every other gun? If you land consistent headshots with any gun then you'll clear entire rooms and be better than everyone else

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Clamps McGraw posted:

So how is that different to every other gun? If you land consistent headshots with any gun then you'll clear entire rooms and be better than everyone else

750 RPM and 0.75 ADS? The carv, MSW and orion have the highest RPM at 750 out of the LMGs.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Clamps McGraw posted:

It's the most competitive gun. It has laser beam accuracy and little recoils, but the .75 ADS is why everyone uses it. Fast ROF, high accuracy, .75 ADS make it all the LMG any VS would ever need.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The Orion's only downside is really the 50 round mag. If you aren't winning every 1v1 with it you're doing something wrong.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Clamps McGraw posted:

0.75 ADS speed and 750/143 means you'll win most of your 1v1s, and if you're good at headshots you can take on more. For a 0.75 ADS weapon with high DPS, Orion recoil and rattle are relatively easy to manage.

50 rounds is a lot of ammo if you're a KDR sperg. There's usually plenty of shield recharge downtime and they'll almost always be close to cover, so reloading is rarely an issue. For these guys, I think the Betelgeuse's +15 rounds will be more practical than the other two's +50.

ComradePotato posted:

So had some fun with Goon Squad last night, and finally farmed up enough certs to max out my Medi Gun. You guys really weren't exaggerating about how much better that last rank is, were you?

So I'm thinking about getting revive nades next, a few points in nade bando, max out ASC and then C4 I guess? Does that sound like a sensible cert-map?

Max out the default F (self/group-heal) ability before revive grenades if you haven't yet, it's cheap.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Arghy posted:

Arghy: can clear 3 guys from a room with the Orion, can't get more than one kill in a mag with any other gun. Even if it has half the recoil and more accuracy.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Someday the NC will get an overpowered weapon.

Someday....

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Try the Anchor.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Someday....

Hacksaw MAXes used to be ridiculous. Now they're just kind of pointless and sad.

Does anyone else miss the NC shotguns sounding like throwing a bag of nickles at someone? I hope they brought back that sound effect for the directive guns.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I genuinely can't tell or care what weapon an NC Max is using, because the outcome is the same, and is just dependant on range. Am I close? I die by the time I hear the first rounds firing. Am I far away? He achieves nothing.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Horizontal Tree posted:

Arghy: can clear 3 guys from a room with the Orion, can't get more than one kill in a mag with any other gun. Even if it has half the recoil and more accuracy.

Dat overshield though i can easily fit 2+ kills into the NS11c but the terminus/HV45 needs to be within 20m for them to click and you often blow your load on shielded HA's. I think i got 4 kills in a 30 round at my best where i killed 6 dudes under the bridges in a bio lab with a single orion clip haha they just kept turning the corner one after another.

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Someday....

Gauss rifle/anchor/cyclone, play with them and then drop your panties when you realize how loving awesome they are.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

A Tartan Tory posted:

If I'm a medic on TR/NC I won't even bother to res people.

I will on VS though because it's not like I'm going to be killing many people!

You don't own the Terminus, do you?

Pand posted:

Try the Anchor.

Or the Cyclone.

o muerte fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Aug 1, 2014

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The cyclone really does own. One might say it...Cyclowns...??

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Is it worth it playing LA and if so what's the popular gun choice ??

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Is the Anchor really that good? I'm looking to Aurax a new weapon when I'm done with the SAW S. It seems like it's basically a GD-22S with a different name.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The Orion thrives on headshots and ADAD and so does the NS-15 so there's that. The difference in headshot TTK between the two is 0.04 seconds.

Nobody's got anything even like the Cyclone tho and that's a terrifying weapon to see on an opposing HA

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Does anyone else enjoy annoying skygods by pulling a burster and just chilling at smaller fights where they think they will be able to get easy kills on infantry? You might not get much XP but the response you get some amazing hate mail.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The trick to the Orion is to always be moving with it. You're slowed down less than other HAs and you can corner-snipe people with pre-ADS'd headshots, it's super hard to counter that. I don't like it with Resist Shield because then I'm too slow, so I usually run Adrenaline with it.

And as people have said 143/750 is plenty good enough to win almost every 1v1 unless they're getting the drop on you in SMG/Shotgun range, and even then your overshield might give you the win. Or they're using the MCG. But don't worry, TR is too stupid to do that.

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

One might say it...Cyclowns...??

Battlestar galactica/Juggalo crossover fanfic, known as "Cyclown" by it's fans.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I do really wish they'd increase the exp you get from AA work. Shooting at aircraft with heavy assault AA rockets is particularly awful. You just spent several minutes trying to hit an ESF with a rocket and finally succeeded. Here's like 24 exp, congrats.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

oddium posted:

Is it worth it playing LA and if so what's the popular gun choice ??

Which faction?

NC: The stock Merc is completely fine
VS: Pulsar C (free in the quiz/250c) is one of the better Carbines in the game
TR: Really, anything is fine, stick with stock maybe?

Light Assault is the class that benefits the most from knowing the map layouts and picking unfair fights, so can be a dificult class to learn as it will be at a disadvantage in most normal 1v1 situations and takes a fair few certs to become truly effective (2x c4, maxed Jump jets, ammo bandolier), so I wouldn't recommend it to a brand new player, honestly.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Tell me how to use a Gauss rifle properly, cause I have more luck killing people at range with a GD7F than that thing.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Someday....

Falcons, Ravens, Cyclone, A-Tross, Reaper DMR, AP Vanguard, take your pick.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Broose posted:

Tell me how to use a Gauss rifle properly, cause I have more luck killing people at range with a GD7F than that thing.

:eyepop:

I just don't know... how ?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

sitchelin posted:

Ravens, really?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

sitchelin posted:

The Titan AP performs the worst of all the AP cannons, against all targets, and has at every single point in the history of this game. How is that OP? The Falcons are utterly overshadowed by the Pounders as well.

The rest are just "effective". How can someone lump the Tross in with the likes of release Hacksaws and ZOE? Or the Reaper? I love how the NC "trait" of having a bunch of downsides to compensate for a single upside was removed in PU02 and all our gear that STILL isn't making GBS threads all over the competition is suddenly OP.

Probably the closest thing we have to OP would be the Cyclone, but even that pales in comparison to thinks like pre-nerf ZOE or Fractures and the like

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

You should probably use medkits over c4 on light assault unless you are specifically setting out to kill a vehicle.

Aaod
May 29, 2004
I get killed by the mercenary way more than any other NC LA gun and they have gotten lots of bullshit shots with it especially with what feels like such high damage.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Falcons are better to 1v1 infantry than Pounders, but Pounders are better against other MAXes, clustered or distant infantry, and vehicles. The problem with Pounders against infantry is that you will get shot and take some damage before you double-tap them, it's basically inevitable. With Falcons you can instagib them and take no damage at all sometimes.

Just a lil' "anti-infantry strategizing for MAX anti-vehicle weapons" talk, you know how it is. Unless you're VS post-ZOE.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

AggressivelyStupid posted:

You should probably use medkits over c4 on light assault unless you are specifically setting out to kill a vehicle.

Personally I run 24/7 C4 but implant regen 3. You never know how badly you wished you could kill that max until it stands motionless under your perch.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

A list of overpowered NC weapons:
  • Not C85 Canister
  • Not EM1

Go wild. :v:

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Mortimer posted:

Personally I run 24/7 C4 but implant regen 3. You never know how badly you wished you could kill that max until it stands motionless under your perch.

The number of times I've survived concentrated fire because of my medkits outweighs the desire to get the one kill. By surviving I can get more kills, which is really what LA is all about. More so than HA I would argue.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Blasmeister posted:

Ravens, really?

Yes, really. I use them when people are too far away to blap with my Falcons, and having screaming, wire guided freedom to steer into anything exposed is awesome.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

My LA build is usually Adrenaline Pump (really handy for LAs because a faster run speed = better launch), C4, Battle Hardened. With whatever gun is situationally useful (Cyclone, GD-23, Mauler, AC-X11, GD-7F, whatever). I don't plan to live very long, just kill a lot of mans and die horribly.

If you're going for MLG LA, then yeah, more survivability would be better.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Arghy posted:

i regularly clear entire rooms on my own because i'm killing people in 1 second and with max rank AS i can kill 3 dudes

arghy:stdh.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Nakar posted:

Or they're using the MCG. But don't worry, TR is too stupid to do that.

Seriously, I always thought all this talk about TR being retarded and not knowing how awesome their poo poo is was just comedy trash talk but me and my friends have switched to TR for the time being and we are running around with MCG teams just clearing the streets and no one else on TR even uses the MCG.

We also running a stealth prowler with a vulcan and AP cannon. Just drive around to the flanks/butts of enemy tanks or sunderers. Deploy, have some tea, then blast the poo poo out of everything.

• Locked thread