Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

Don't forget to set the archive path!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

adorai posted:

Juniper and everyone else who has a commit function got it right. IOS just plain loving sucks for making live changes.

BRB bouncing all your BGP sessions.

e:
JUNOS supremacy. Except logging, I like my router to at least pretend that it isn't a *nix box underneath.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

adorai posted:

Mind blown.

Um hell yeah. I think I'm going to have to play around with this some on my workbench before I start using it.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

FatCow posted:

I like my router to at least pretend that it isn't a *nix box underneath.

I want it to be more *nix based because the tool sets are endless.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
It would be nice to be able to use things like grep & awk on the router cli.

If someone is dumb enough to no out a bgp process; is the additional step of commit confirm going to accomplish anything? Unless it explicitly tells them they are doing something dumb (and I can't remember if junos does that or not), they are just going to blindly type two commands instead of one.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

inignot posted:

Junos has the ability for most things like that, even while in the junos CLI, you can use "grep" instead "match" since it is really just an alias, just like "except" is an alias to "grep -v". IOS has include / exclude, but they really need to add the ability to chain them for the instances of "sh run | inc xyz | exc abc". But that might be different in IOS-XR and forward.

inignot posted:

If someone is dumb enough to no out a bgp process; is the additional step of commit confirm going to accomplish anything? Unless it explicitly tells them they are doing something dumb (and I can't remember if junos does that or not), they are just going to blindly type two commands instead of one.

'commit confirm' in junos will still allow you to do stupid things, it just makes it easier to recover from them. There are sanity checks for things like removing a prefix list and it still be referenced elsewhere in the config and stops you from committing but there is nothing stopping you from doing "delete protocols bgp" and it not passing the commit check. Although you can "protect" stanzas in the configuration to prevent any modifications, but depending on how you do user authentication and levels of configuration changes, that really doesn't help either.

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe
Grep exists in NX-OS. Plus, everyone doesn't use Notepad as there sanity check tool before committing things to production in Cisco land?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
That's why change windows exist. Bounce a BGP session? W/e it's a maintenance window.

I do pride myself on never disrupting anything in all the changes I've done though. Only time I came close was turning up a new wan tunnel and forgetting that EIGRP used to automatically summarize along classful boundaries.

I noticed pretty quickly, and was able to add "no auto-summary" to the EIGRP process before too many people noticed.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Powercrazy posted:

Is there a VPN tunnel or some other type of encryption? (I assume so given the Microwave Link) Lots of Packets plus CPU intensive policies, QoS, Encryption, Encapsulation, Inspection etc, will cause Control Plane outages.

Well we ran some tests with iperf and discovered that the microwave link (which is outsourced - they handle our connections in and do a decent job) has been upgraded to 100mbps :aaaaa: This is the first I've heard of it, so I suppose maybe with that stealthy upgrade the link is now too much for my little router to handle. It's maxing out on CPU (which I was able to see after I ran a #scheduler interval 500 allowing my session to stay alive during the event) when rsync runs without a --bwlimit=<kbps>.

Now my question is this: is this (that is - the control plane failing to accept connections when we are at or close to 100% bandwidth utilization) normal behavior? When you say a lot of CPU intensive policies, I'm not sure how to find out if things like QoS, Encapsulation or Inspection are running. Is there an easy way to find out from my interface information? Here:
code:
!
interface FastEthernet0
 switchport access vlan 12
!
interface FastEthernet1
 switchport access vlan 12
!
interface FastEthernet2
 switchport access vlan 68
!
interface FastEthernet3
  switchport access vlan 68
!
interface FastEthernet4
 ip address 10.1.2.209 255.255.255.0
 ip access-group 100 in
 ip access-group 199 out
 ip virtual-reassembly
 duplex auto
 speed auto
!
interface Vlan1
 no ip address
 shutdown
!
interface Vlan12
 ip address 10.13.55.1 255.255.255.0
 ip virtual-reassembly
!
interface Vlan68
 ip address 192.168.10.1 255.255.255.0
 ip virtual-reassembly
!
There's also a bunch of policy-map configurations as well as some class-map ones, but wouldn't they show up under the interfaces if they were in use? I thought that when you create a policy map or class map or whatever it just sits there until you actually attach it to an interface.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Spudalicious posted:

is this (that is - the control plane failing to accept connections when we are at or close to 100% bandwidth utilization) normal behavior?

Yes. If you're running your traffic through a policy that shunts to CPU*, then it will start failing when the CPU peaks out. What model is that device you're posting snippets from? *edit* read back through the thread and I see it's a Cisco SR520.

*QoS, NAT on old Cisco routers, ACLs by IP address... There's lots of corner cases where CEF doesn't catch it, especially when doing VLANs on routers via switch-card interfaces.

Per this page: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/sr-500-series-secure-routers/qa_c67-485432.html

quote:

Performance
Q. What are the performance characteristics of the Cisco 500 Series Secure Router?
A. Aggregate performance with IPSec 3DES for the Cisco 500 Series Secure Router is up to 8 Mbps with Internet mix (IMIX) packets and up to 30 Mbps with 1400-byte packets.
Looks like your earlier suspicions were correct- the 100mbit point-to-point microwave link is just too much traffic for that SR520 router.

Honestly, check out a Ubiquiti Edgerouter (8-port) or Edgerouter PoE (5-port). It's got 5-8 gigabit routed ports and enough CPU to route & NAT 3-4gb/sec of traffic. The 5-port version's only $175. If you VLAN everything over to a switch trunk you can even use the 3-port version (Edgerouter Lite) which is ~$100 or so.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 30, 2014

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

CrazyLittle posted:

Yes. If you're running your traffic through a policy that shunts to CPU*, then it will start failing when the CPU peaks out. What model is that device you're posting snippets from? *edit* read back through the thread and I see it's a Cisco SR520.

*QoS, NAT on old Cisco routers, ACLs by IP address... There's lots of corner cases where CEF doesn't catch it, especially when doing VLANs on routers via switch-card interfaces.

Per this page: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/sr-500-series-secure-routers/qa_c67-485432.html

Looks like your earlier suspicions were correct- the 100mbit point-to-point microwave link is just too much traffic for that SR520 router.

Honestly, check out a Ubiquiti Edgerouter (8-port) or Edgerouter PoE (5-port). It's got 5-8 gigabit routed ports and enough CPU to route & NAT 3-4gb/sec of traffic. The 5-port version's only $175. If you VLAN everything over to a switch trunk you can even use the 3-port version (Edgerouter Lite) which is ~$100 or so.

Thanks for pointing this out! I totally missed that performance bit on that page.

I appreciate your recommendation on the edgerouter. I use some other ubiquiti products for wireless access points and such. I do however work for a nonprofit, and they usually ask that I make sure that there's no other options when it comes to upgrading hardware.

Just for shits and giggles, what would be the best way to ensure that all of the CPU utilizing activities are turned off on the SR520 for maximum throughput?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Spudalicious posted:

they usually ask that I make sure that there's no other options when it comes to upgrading hardware.

Even when the manufacturer of the hardware says it won't perform to the level required? Just give them that link CrazyLittle posted.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

SamDabbers posted:

Even when the manufacturer of the hardware says it won't perform to the level required? Just give them that link CrazyLittle posted.

I'm sure if I took that to them they would understand, I'm just curious what kind of performance I can eke out of this thing given optimal configuration.

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

inignot posted:

You can do whatever heck you like from a bash shell on Arista switches. I think the underlying OS is Fedora. I <3 Arista.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Spudalicious posted:

I'm sure if I took that to them they would understand, I'm just curious what kind of performance I can eke out of this thing given optimal configuration.

There's a pretty easy way to find out:
  • strip out all the config
  • put station A on one side (WAN)
  • put station B on the opposite side (LAN)
  • put in static routes from WAN/LAN
  • run iperf to test throughput of various packet sizes from WAN->LAN and vise versa

A Cisco 2811 is only good for 80mbit/sec or so, with nearly zero features enabled in config.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

inignot posted:

This is why I like RANCID for config collection and management. Puts the most recent version of all your devices in the same directory so when you get question like "where does 10.20.30.0/24 live? or How many VPN tunnels do we have running out of all of our sites" it's just a quick grep away.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
This is a really dumb one, but I have a device that isn't getting along with my USB-Serial adapter and since my old laptop broke the only other thing I have with a serial port is my 2970 switch. Is there any way I can use its Console port as a serial terminal while connected over telnet?

edit: I guess side question since networking types do tend to use them a lot, any recommendations on a better adapter than my Prolific-based Dynex?

wolrah fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 1, 2014

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

wolrah posted:

edit: I guess side question since networking types do tend to use them a lot, any recommendations on a better adapter than my Prolific-based Dynex?

FTDI chipset-based adapters work really well. I also have an old Belkin/Tripp-Lite USA19HS adapter that's been rock solid for about 10 years, and I think they still sell them.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

wolrah posted:

This is a really dumb one, but I have a device that isn't getting along with my USB-Serial adapter and since my old laptop broke the only other thing I have with a serial port is my 2970 switch. Is there any way I can use its Console port as a serial terminal while connected over telnet?

Airconsole.

http://www.get-console.com/shop/en/16-airconsole

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

wolrah posted:

Is there any way I can use its Console port as a serial terminal while connected over telnet?

If your switch has an AUX port, it can be used as a serial terminal.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cool concept, but no way to use it without their software is a no-go. I understand there isn't really a standard serial-over-LAN protocol that carries RTS/CTS and the like for applications that really need a full virtual serial port, but many of the potential uses would be satisfied by a simple SSH (or Telnet if you want to be lazy and insecure) session.

Them being proud over "full 5v" RS-232 is a bit concerning as well, given that the spec is 3 to somewhere between 15 and 25 volts and most sources I've read about why cheap adapters don't work with some devices is the adapter only delivering 5v from USB rather than the 12v that a native PC serial port usually provides.

I have a battery-powered wireless bridge running OpenWRT that has a USB port though, so I will steal the basic idea and use that with a USB adapter. As far as that goes it does look like the FTDI chips are the current favorite.

No such luck on using the switch's console port right now in a pinch though, it seems? I found I have some 1841s around as well, those have an AUX port, is that useful for this?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

SamDabbers posted:

FTDI chipset-based adapters work really well. I also have an old Belkin/Tripp-Lite USA19HS adapter that's been rock solid for about 10 years, and I think they still sell them.

FTDI stopped supporting the old chipset because of chip counterfeiters. The current chip is the FTDI FT232RL, and it's got Win8 x64 driver support so I bought a bunch of these cables: http://www.ebay.com/itm/370761532032

Otherwise if you have an old cable and a new laptop either install a 32-bit virtual machine in VM Player and then pass that cable device through to the guest OS, or install a 32-bit O/S so you can get old-driver support for the cable.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

less than three posted:

If your switch has an AUX port, it can be used as a serial terminal.
To add to this, most (all?) fixed Cisco switches don't have an Aux port, but most (all?) Cisco routers do.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I received one of these as a gift but have never used it because I didn't bother to see how it works with a standard PC running Linux (vs a touchscreen phone with a special app). Looks like one can use `socat` to make it work which may be acceptable.

http://www.routereflector.com/2013/08/serial-over-wifi-the-airconsole-adapter/

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

falz posted:

I received one of these as a gift but have never used it because I didn't bother to see how it works with a standard PC running Linux (vs a touchscreen phone with a special app). Looks like one can use `socat` to make it work which may be acceptable.

http://www.routereflector.com/2013/08/serial-over-wifi-the-airconsole-adapter/

Interesting, looks like I was wrong and there is sort of a standard for serial over LAN in the form of an experimental RFC (2217). Now this thing is a lot more appealing, since it costs pretty much the same as my bridge and a USB-serial adapter. I'll still stick with the homebrew option since I have half the parts already, but I will certainly be telling coworkers about this rather than trying to talk them through OpenWRT.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You should definitely be able to use the AUX port on an 1841 for this.

Try this guide:

http://ciscofaq.blogspot.com.au/2005/05/how-to-i-reverse-telnet-out-my-aux.html?m=1

Its the same principle using an old router with a bunch of async lines as a console server, except with only one line (the AUX port).

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
I carry around one of these routerboards for my console access

http://routerboard.com/RB411AR

Wireless, Serial, Ethernet if you need to do a large TFTP/SCP transfer as well and no special drivers required for whatever machine you have at the time. For lengthy troubleshooting session as well you can plug it into the network and not have to work inside the too cold or too hot comms room :v:

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

hanyolo posted:

This is why I like RANCID for config collection and management. Puts the most recent version of all your devices in the same directory so when you get question like "where does 10.20.30.0/24 live? or How many VPN tunnels do we have running out of all of our sites" it's just a quick grep away.

the only thing I hate about rancid is not having an integrated web front end

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

Bluecobra posted:

I think the underlying OS is Fedora. I <3 Arista.

Lol what?

Fedora?

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

Powercrazy posted:

That's why change windows exist. Bounce a BGP session? W/e it's a maintenance window.

I do pride myself on never disrupting anything in all the changes I've done though. Only time I came close was turning up a new wan tunnel and forgetting that EIGRP used to automatically summarize along classful boundaries.

I noticed pretty quickly, and was able to add "no auto-summary" to the EIGRP process before too many people noticed.

I was lead analyst for a WAN that spanned >60% of the globe. I never had anything go down in three years on my shift that was not a device failure. :smug:

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

z0rlandi viSSer posted:

Well, ViewVC does alright for viewing the configs. You still have to edit the files manually.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

z0rlandi viSSer posted:

I never thought I'd see the day when an engineer unironically said they want a web interface for something

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I use a TRAC sever to browse my RANCID configs and it's good enough to see what's going on and get diffs from older versions if needed

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Can I ask NSX poo poo here or should someone spawn off a new thread?

I'd like to just say gently caress it; and help some one with SDN HW, SAN, and Newtwork. But IDK if it is useful.

Maybe I should just make a thread called; "Virtualizating v3: Yeah you can virtualize that too!"

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 4, 2014

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

z0rlandi viSSer posted:

Because it's too hard to install either of the two supported web front-ends?

z0rlandi viSSer posted:

Lol what?

Fedora?

Arista switches run a top a Fedora installation.

Juniper is doing this on the QFX product line where the OS is running inside a Linux KVM guest.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Can I ask NSX poo poo here or should someone spawn off a new thread?

I'd like to just say gently caress it; and help some one with SDN HW, SAN, and Newtwork. But IDK if it is useful.

Maybe I should just make a thread called; "Virtualizating v3: Yeah you can virtualize that too!"

Maybe just wait until someone asks a question about those technologies and respond to them? I'm sure a braindump/effort post wouldn't be frowned upon if you feel like regurgitating some stuff.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Woo, MPLS bitches.

code:
SSH@ATL#sh ip route 172.17.0.0/16
Type Codes - B:BGP D:Connected I:ISIS O:OSPF R:RIP S:Static; Cost - Dist/Metric
BGP  Codes - i:iBGP e:eBGP
ISIS Codes - L1:Level-1 L2:Level-2
OSPF Codes - i:Inter Area 1:External Type 1 2:External Type 2 s:Sham Link
STATIC Codes - d:DHCPv6
        Destination        Gateway         Port          Cost          Type Uptime src-vrf
1       172.17.0.0/16      DIRECT          lsp DFW       200/1         Bi   1h7m   -
I'm at the forefront of early 2000s networking innovation.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

FatCow posted:

Woo, MPLS bitches.

code:
SSH@ATL#sh ip route 172.17.0.0/16
Type Codes - B:BGP D:Connected I:ISIS O:OSPF R:RIP S:Static; Cost - Dist/Metric
BGP  Codes - i:iBGP e:eBGP
ISIS Codes - L1:Level-1 L2:Level-2
OSPF Codes - i:Inter Area 1:External Type 1 2:External Type 2 s:Sham Link
STATIC Codes - d:DHCPv6
        Destination        Gateway         Port          Cost          Type Uptime src-vrf
1       172.17.0.0/16      DIRECT          lsp DFW       200/1         Bi   1h7m   -
I'm at the forefront of early 2000s networking innovation.

I just set that up (l3vpn) earlier this year too. Pretty satisfying to see it work with minimal effort (if you already had/have an mpls enabled core).

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
When you create a VRF, which part of the rd makes the route table unique?

So if I have
pre:
ip vrf VRF1
 rd 10:10

ip vrf VRF2
 rd 10:11
Would both of these share the same route table because the first portion of the rd is the same, or would it still maintain separate routing tables for the two VRFs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Filthy Lucre posted:

When you create a VRF, which part of the rd makes the route table unique?

So if I have
pre:
ip vrf VRF1
 rd 10:10

ip vrf VRF2
 rd 10:11
Would both of these share the same route table because the first portion of the rd is the same, or would it still maintain separate routing tables for the two VRFs?

IIRC it's the same weird syntax sometimes used for 4 byte AS numbers where it's two 2 byte numbers with a colon in between. That means 10:10 and 10:11 are unique routing tables.