Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Well yeah, Honkymus Prime was a part of the original toy and Ambus clearly homages that, but the inner robot was never part of the "character" represented by the G1 Magnus Design until Dreamwave came along (and then folded without doing anything interesting with it).

I mean, would I have complained if MP Magnus was a retool of MP-10 with a partsforming trailer? HELL NO! I'd have probably been happier. But if it was a choice between that and MP Star Saber getting the full Brain of Courage / Saber / Star Saber (and, hopefully at some point, Victory Saber) treatment, I'd go for Star Saber for sure.

It's such a :krad: concept to be wasted on a Late-G1 brick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gammatron 64 posted:

Liopleurodon, the badass of the Jurassic Seas.

Liopleurodon, Charlie! Chaaarlie! Liopleurodon!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

DoctorWhat posted:

Well yeah, Honkymus Prime was a part of the original toy and Ambus clearly homages that, but the inner robot was never part of the "character" represented by the G1 Magnus Design until Dreamwave came along (and then folded without doing anything interesting with it).

I mean, would I have complained if MP Magnus was a retool of MP-10 with a partsforming trailer? HELL NO! I'd have probably been happier. But if it was a choice between that and MP Star Saber getting the full Brain of Courage / Saber / Star Saber (and, hopefully at some point, Victory Saber) treatment, I'd go for Star Saber for sure.

It's such a :krad: concept to be wasted on a Late-G1 brick.

Hey, some late G1 bricks were cool rear end toys, man. G1 Sixshot, Galvatron, Predaking, God Ginrai, Fortress Maximus, and more are cool as hell.

I think articulation is way less important to me than it is the majority of collectors, though.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
So is g1 slog the only buyable slog right now.
Where do I go if I just want black and red slog, do I have to wait or did I miss out or what.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

That is such an adorable widdle space fighter :3:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The two platinum sets are BBTS shared exclusives

movie accurate autobots(including voyager hound)

movie accurate dinobots

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
You keep saying movie accurate, but optimus never looked like that in the film.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Accurate or not, both packs look really nice. If only I didn't have most of the molds already...

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Blackheart posted:

Accurate or not, both packs look really nice. If only I didn't have most of the molds already...
I can't remember the sandwich portfolio quote but this is why I don't buy early movie waves anymore. They've got the same thing going 3P does, where the early adopters get the movie inaccurate grey paint galore line.

I mean, Darksteel or Sideswipe? Really Hasbro? Same paint budget? Ok.

Admittedly I do own a Slug. But then I don't think I really want a Grimlock anyway.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
It's not so much "movie accurate" as it is "good paint jobs that don't look like poo poo."

You remember how I said earlier that Hasbro should take the same molds and release them with higher end paint jobs aimed for collectors and call them "Platinum Edition"? And how people said that wasn't feasible and they'd never do it? Welp. :smug:

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
does hound have the bullet cigar or am I seeing things? Also mistransformed gun.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
I tried to care about that Lio Convoy TFCC toy but nothing happened.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I tried to care about that Lio Convoy TFCC toy but nothing happened.

I could not find a supply anywhere, I think I'm burned out.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The Taint Reaper posted:

movie accurate dinobots

drat it, I hope they release a Snarl to match somewhere. I just want a unified set of Dinobots, maybe I'll end up shelling out for the SDCC set after all.

Also, 1. It's Apatosaurus and 2. That is clearly not an Apatosaurus, but some kind of brachiosaur.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
He's OK

strangehamster posted:

I could not find a supply anywhere, I think I'm burned out.

It's my fault.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Lio Convoy is not only tiny but bears hardly any resemblance to having anything Lion about it.

The Universe 2.0 one was better, came in BWII colors, had a prime head, and towered over the others.

And also could combine with Cybertron prime and the other Leo prime to make a triple Prime combiner.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I mean, the Orion Pax mold is crazy fun and underrated but... WHY LIO CONVOY

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Blackheart posted:

I'm hoping the answer is "because the Thunderclash repaint is going to be sold at retail."

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

I'm hoping the answer is "because the Thunderclash repaint is going to be sold at retail."

This is what I was exactly thinking. Throwaway character from beast wars II means we're going to get a better G1 guy for the mass release repaint.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Blackheart posted:

The truck mode has a gold lion mane

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Rita Repulsa posted:

The truck mode has a gold lion mane

It looks like an Attack Pack vehicle.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I was just thinking that there's probably a reason there are still only five Constructicons in the comics.

scramble city Devastator

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Wasn't there some weird phrasing about Devastator at the convention panels about the new combiners? That they're not doing Devastator "with this system" or something like that?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

An Angry Bug posted:

Wasn't there some weird phrasing about Devastator at the convention panels about the new combiners? That they're not doing Devastator "with this system" or something like that?

If they did, I'm happy. Third parties did close homages already, now that we're getting an official chug devs there's no reason to not make him like that.

And besides scramble cities fine and all that but if this is year of combiner then I'd hope for some other types that get a bit more complicated than that. Bring on three man teams or symmetrical docking or rid/armada prime kinds of deals.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I was just thinking that there's probably a reason there are still only five Constructicons in the comics.

scramble city Devastator
No, I think there were implied to be more constructions out in the greater canon, and they have been shown to still combine into six-piece bucket of chicken devastator as well.

Man you know what would be great? A devastator where they have like, you can use Prowl as the head! You can use Megatron as the head! And then I don't know, some sort of comedy option. Like, I don't know, Soundwave, since his alt mode will be a van or something if they make another deluxe.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
Scramble city is dumb and I hate it.

I would rather a dude be an excellent arm, than a good-enough arm and a mediocre leg.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Eh, being good-enough works for combiners in a way. They're weird fusions/experiments/abominations, so it's not like they'd be flawless. Plus you still need the kibble so it actually looks like a bunch of dudes combining.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

revtoiletduck posted:

I would rather a dude be an excellent arm, than a good-enough arm and a mediocre leg.

Back in G1 brick daus thay could be both, because of being a brick. Now that we expect articulation and no parts forming, things got difficult.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Gauntlet/ironfist is pretty close to perfect if you want an IDW ironfist. The paint-to-color matching is some of the best I've ever seen. The plastic quality is top-notch, it reminds me quite a bit of Cybertron-era toys. The only downside is some odd color choices on the head, and the overall grey color is a bit too blue. Still, highly recommended!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gauntlet/ironfist is pretty close to perfect if you want an IDW ironfist.
Can you pose him with a classics seeker or other well known mold for a size comparing shot?

But I'm basically sold, I don't think we're ever going to get an IDW Ironfist out of Hasbro :( Been too many years now.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Spiderdrake posted:

Can you pose him with a classics seeker or other well known mold for a size comparing shot?

Stolen via GIS:

He's kind of like Cybertron Armorhide or one of the Energon combiner limbs. He's not a deluxe, at all, in any way. But I honestly wouldn't want him any taller. Part of his charm is that he's G1 Bumblebee's gimmick ("I may be small but I can still have an adventure" - Thew) done right.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

scramble city Devastator

this was already a thing in OG Classics. They repainted the energon mold.

Also I'm surprised they haven't taken any of the Japanese prime molds and made them Ironfist. That armored truck from prime would be the perfect voyager with a new head.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 1, 2014

Arsenal_12
May 7, 2007

revtoiletduck posted:

You have to admire the level of engineering that goes into making a toy with basically 4 modes. FOC Bruticus was not really the best combiner; but as an engineering nut I admire that they managed to pull it off.

Gauntlet/ironfist is pretty close to perfect if you want an IDW ironfist. The paint-to-color matching is some of the best I've ever seen. The plastic quality is top-notch, it reminds me quite a bit of Cybertron-era toys. The only downside is some odd color choices on the head, and the overall grey color is a bit too blue. Still, highly recommended!

SOLD! Time to tell BBTS to toss him into my POL.

As for the combiners, I am sold. After the super complex 300 dollar plus FP Menasor that just stands on my shelf, I will happily take one that I can mess with on my desk without being terrified that I'm going to put stress marks on a joint or break something like I am with the 3P stuff.

Superion looks solid, and I always liked the Aerialbots, so he's also a must buy for me.

Now Hasbro; give me a new Computron and Predaking, please!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

The Taint Reaper posted:

this was already a thing in OG Classics. They repainted the energon mold.

Also I'm surprised they haven't taken any of the Japanese prime molds and made them Ironfist. That armored truck from prime would be the perfect voyager with a new head.

That was an Energon toy, though. I wasn't a fan.

Either way, what will be will be, right?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

An Angry Bug posted:

Eh, being good-enough works for combiners in a way. They're weird fusions/experiments/abominations, so it's not like they'd be flawless.

This is a really dumb line of thinking, fyi.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Arsenal_12 posted:

Now Hasbro; give me a new Computron and Predaking, please!

We're probably getting a new Defensor. So far people have proven that Superion is using 4 original molds with the helicopter being a Blades repaint. Defensor has a motorcycle as does Computron, so if we get a strangely futuristic bike for the protectobots. I'd wager that's computron.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Gibe monstructor Hasbro

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

ForeverSmug posted:

Gibe monstructor Hasbro

Or Piranacon. Or a real Abominus.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ForeverSmug posted:

Gibe monstructor Hasbro

Reissue Monstructor. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Captain Invictus posted:

Reissue Monstructor. :getin:

Golden Plastic y u break? :cry:

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Or Piranacon. Or a real Abominus.

Those two are the least represented out of all the combiners. Every other combiner team has had at least two stand alone releases of some of their members and/or multiple versions of the same guy(i.e. Hotspot).

Abominus only has the one Universe 2.0 Hun-grrr figure which is a legends class guy.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 1, 2014