Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The main reason I'd dislike some hard level capping of some 140ish or whatever ballpark number is because the splitting of the previous game's Endurance stat and effects into four separate statistics. If you aren't putting anything into Attune, takes literally 20 level into Adaptability for a Warrior to go from 8 "This is worse than fat rolling in the last game" I-Frames, to "Now I'm no longer worse than Mid roll from the last game!" Agility.

Then you got Endurance for your stamina, and Vitality for your equip load. The rough equivalent of 20-40 points in one stat from the last game now takes 60-Are you kidding me points, while starting with a bunch of at 5s instead of 9s, at level 12 instead of level 4.

I mean sure, if you are some bathrobe wearing dagger and catalyst swinging murder wizard then you (Maybe?) have a more forgiving stat spread. But some of us like to run around basically being cave men with huge shields and large variety of (usually heavy) weapons able to be used whenever. Hmm, do I feel like one handing the Grym Great hammer, or some 20-25 dex also required toy like the Drangelic sword today, without blowing a respec to decide.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

EC posted:

So everyone but the scrubs, newbs, and other such people who should get gud, gotcha.

SL capping would promote creative builds (since you can't just max everything) as well as increase the use of soul vessels because people would want to try different stuff out.

I can't actually tell if you are being ironic with that first part.

I've honestly had very little problem finding people with unique builds in topSM pvp. Sure there are a lot of Havel jesters, helixodons, whatever, but there are always popular cookie cutter builds at every range.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Ill take a level cap if we get all the armor sets from Ds1 back, I need you Sealer's mask. :argh:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

argondamn posted:

I can't actually tell if you are being ironic with that first part.

I'm so far down the ironic hole I can't even tell anymore.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

argondamn posted:

Level capping would be the dumbest thing that would make almost nobody happy but the pvp community from DkS1.

Agreed and they should do it, but also everything even more than it is now would be people wearing jester's and holding a dagger (and possibly a mon scim -- seems like people think it's going to be debuffed again but I suspect it's working as intended and the initial fix, which was good, was just because of the backstep and roll parries, which have been taken out).

DS2 PVP is too much of a mess to every be balanced so it's best to just take it for what it is.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

"Honorable," Final-destination-no-items pvp in Dark Souls always seemed dumb to me. It always felt more about sabotaging, leaping from castle cliffs, sneaking, etc. If you're looking for a pure pvp system, aren't there better games for that?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
If you think DS1 pvp wasn't a mess even after AOTA i don't know what to tell you.

They changed a bunch of stuff, and made a completely different mess this time. That's about it.

Editor's Note: This isn't a claim that it isn't fun or whatever before someones tears manages to type out a post about how I'm wrong. Who loving cares.

Also I think the stat system has always been stupid. Having to put in like 10 points in a stat to get a 2 point damage increase past 50 stat points is ridiculous. Either cap damage stats at 50 or remove the soft and hard caps. At least that's my dumb opinion.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Has anyone made one of those comprehensive Cheat Engine table thingies yet? I remeber them for DS1 and I was wondering if there was one to change my character's appearence in DS2.

E:

Praseodymi fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 1, 2014

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Zedd posted:

Ill take a level cap if we get all the armor sets from Ds1 back, I need you Sealer's mask. :argh:

Bring back the Crest Shield.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Hakkesshu posted:

Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times, but are any of the graphics/lighting mods safe to use now? I haven't kept up since like April or something, but now I want to play the DLC and I remember when those mods were released there was talk of VAC banning and the like.

No one has gotten banned for anything in months. The graphics mods have always been safe to use, there was just a lot of handwringing based on people's experiences in other games.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
They should add in some kind of soapstone that you can use as a chat to phantoms that you've summoned or been invaded by in the past, so you could send them a "thanks for the help" message, but mainly I want broken english raging at invaders

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does anyone have any tips for pyromancy? I'd like to put it on this dex character for some utility and versatility, but my prior experiences made it seem really underpowered even with a +6 or so flame. If that's the case, then I won't even bother getting my attunement up.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

They should add in some kind of soapstone that you can use as a chat to phantoms that you've summoned or been invaded by in the past, so you could send them a "thanks for the help" message, but mainly I want broken english raging at invaders

They should just make sternly worded wood carving so you can say "go home" over and over

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

sector_corrector posted:

Does anyone have any tips for pyromancy? I'd like to put it on this dex character for some utility and versatility, but my prior experiences made it seem really underpowered even with a +6 or so flame. If that's the case, then I won't even bother getting my attunement up.

Almost all of pyromancy's power comes from the flame, so just keep upgrading it. Pyro fills in a lot of gaps... use great combustion on nerds trying to parry you, firestorm for AoE (but I guess it's weaker now?), warmth for healing usable even as a phantom, etc. If you get the Southern Ritual Band +2 by killing Najka on bonfire intensity 2, you get 3 spell slots, which should be sufficient. When I do that I usually attune great combustion, chaos storm and flame whip/flame weapon, or just use Forbidden Sun as a comedy finisher.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Suitaru posted:

Almost all of pyromancy's power comes from the flame, so just keep upgrading it. Pyro fills in a lot of gaps... use great combustion on nerds trying to parry you, firestorm for AoE (but I guess it's weaker now?), warmth for healing usable even as a phantom, etc. If you get the Southern Ritual Band +2 by killing Najka on bonfire intensity 2, you get 3 spell slots, which should be sufficient. When I do that I usually attune great combustion, chaos storm and flame whip/flame weapon, or just use Forbidden Sun as a comedy finisher.

I don't really PvP, so I was mainly talking about PvE. When I was using a +6 flame on stuff in Shrine of Amana even the most powerful thing I had was doing like 1/4 of a regular priest's lifebar.

Edit: I guess a better question, would be if it would just be more sensible to get a bow up to +9 or +10 and use that as a way to give myself damage-at-range.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Oh, I see. Yeah, if you're looking for a ranged option, pick up a bow, pyromancy isn't the answer. Hunter's Blackbow in Drangleic Castle is probably the best for pure dex, if you're more of a quality build find a composite bow. This also opens up the option of buying 999 poison arrows from Gavlan and giggling to yourself while you watch enemies die to poison.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tae posted:

Do I find it weird that outside of the Darklurkers, the Havel guys and generally enemies with basically infinite poise the hardest enemies?

You can stun him. You cn also easily stunlock him with certain weapons like the Syan's Halberd (2handed r1s, might need Stone Ring). Note that you have to attack him while he's not attacking; he seems to have hyper armor while attacking rather than just poise.

Tae posted:

Isn't the lightning sword one of the best early game weapons?

Take everything he says with a grain of salt, he's a very min/maxy sperg.

All the Heide weapons are really good for both PVE and PVP, and are great options for Faith builds.

Tekopo posted:

I've only started playing DaS1 (which I did a complete run through) and I'm now almost finished DaS2 and I've done a lot, LOT more PvP in DaS2. It might be that I came into DaS1 when anyone left playing it is pretty experienced with the game, but I tried to PvP about 10 times there and I lost every single time, to the extent that when I started playing DaS2 and didn't know about Soul Mastery, I was really apprehensive about getting into any sort of PvP. Then I actually tried to PvP and I had a lot more success than I ever had in DaS1.

For better or for worse, PVP in Dks was all about knowing how to avoid being backstabbed. Assuming you were fighting someone who knew what they were doing, you had to make every movement with taking that into consideration. Movement in that game was also a lot looser and faster, allowing you to turn on a dime and do crazy stuff.

quote:

One question that I have which I didn't get answered in the console thread: what's the ending condition for Belfry Sol? I assume that as soon as you manage to beat the non-respawnable phantoms, you've technically finished it? If that's the case, is it impossible to summon white sign phantoms into Belfry Sol at high SM, since everyone will have pretty much completed it by then?

There is none.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

If you think DS1 pvp wasn't a mess even after AOTA i don't know what to tell you.

It wasn't.

quote:

Also I think the stat system has always been stupid. Having to put in like 10 points in a stat to get a 2 point damage increase past 50 stat points is ridiculous. Either cap damage stats at 50 or remove the soft and hard caps. At least that's my dumb opinion.

Not really. If there wasn't a cap a max level person would be even more outright powerful than they currently are. Plus there are actual reasons to take stats beyond their. Wielding some weapons for Str, powerstancing for both Str and Dex, using some spells without spicing them down.

sector_corrector posted:

I don't really PvP, so I was mainly talking about PvE. When I was using a +6 flame on stuff in Shrine of Amana even the most powerful thing I had was doing like 1/4 of a regular priest's lifebar.

Edit: I guess a better question, would be if it would just be more sensible to get a bow up to +9 or +10 and use that as a way to give myself damage-at-range.

You're in water, of course fire damage is gonna do crap. At that point you can and should have a +Flame, so that's another thing. Also what pyro's you are using is important. The fireball line is all pretty underwhelming for PVE, but Combustion/Great Combustion are really good, as are Firestorm, Flame Swathe, and some others.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The one time I did get summoned as a white phantom in the Belfry, I got a 'Duty Fulfilled' as soon as the phantom (not the dwarves) near the door to the exit was killed, so that's what I based my assumption on.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
To add on to the weird invasion stuff - I almost never get invaded by players outside of the grey phantom zones, and I'm not a huge PvP fan. Last time, I was near the tree in the DLC and the invader had a fairly normal name, and I assumed it was just a red phantom. Sat there wondering where the heck it was from and why it hadn't spawned until the dude came running over at me.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Wanted to make a Jester Thomas gimmick character, decided to do so from scratch. Managed to get a +4 Flame and a good amount of pyromancies at 100k SM. It's kinda funny nuking the early bosses (by myself or as a summon) with Firestorm. :v:

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Genocyber posted:

Wanted to make a Jester Thomas gimmick character, decided to do so from scratch. Managed to get a +4 Flame and a good amount of pyromancies at 100k SM. It's kinda funny nuking the early bosses (by myself or as a summon) with Firestorm. :v:

Last time I did the poison queen, there was a summon for J*ster Thomas. Rolled in there with two insane clowns with pyromancy.

I guess you could say it was my...Insane Clown Posse.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 1, 2014

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I am in loving love with the Bandit Greataxe.

Nobody thinks it's a Greataxe. Keep trying to parry me.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

I keep disconnecting from Steam even though Steam isn't losing connection.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Also anyone know if there's any truth to this?

http://pastebin.com/UAvwJYna

quote:

- Armor [Ironclad Armor] effect changed. Does damage when rolling into enemies.
- Armor [Jester's Robes] effect changed. Reduces backstab damage.
- Hex [Profound Still] now targets caster.
- Item [Awestone] obtained from bosses.
- Item [Dragon Scale] can now be traded to Magerold for Petrified Dragon Bone.
- Item [Rat Tail] can be burned at Grave of Saints or Doors of Pharros bonfire to respawn enemies.
- Item [Sunlight Medal] can be consumed to extend timer as white phantom.
- Item [Token of Spite] can be consumed to extend timer as red phantom.
- Ring [Guardian's Seal] improves healing miracles.

Really hope these turn out to be legit.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

poo poo, that would make being in the Dragon Covenant actually worthwhile.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Those would be some incredible changes.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Genocyber posted:

IF TRUE
I will join dragons again

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Genocyber posted:

No source was given when it was
asked for.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Seems like 100% bullshit to me considering they just did a big patch and those notes have multiple weapon changes to stuff they just changed or added.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It also isn't horribly mistranslated

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Those would all be great, alternate uses for covenant items is such a smart idea that I've wanted from the beginning. But yeah it's probably bullshit, there's not much chance of the game being patched before the next DLC hits later this month.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

As someone who spends a lot of time reading fake patch notes, those seem pretty fake

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

The rolling attack for the Iron armor sounds really cool, but the whole point of rolling thus far has been to provide iframes with which to dodge attacks. Even if the armor somehow prevented you from using any other weapons, at higher SM you could easily buff your agility and stamina to the point where you could more or less attack someone with impunity because your own roll is fast and you're invinvible to boot. Unless the armor disabled iframes during the roll, but then I'd have to wager it'd be drat near useless.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
That's just Kirk's armor set's effect from Dark Souls 1.
Even if you buff your iframes to as high as you can go, you're still going to have plenty of recovery to get punished. Additionally, in Dark Souls 1 Kirk's armor barely did any damage when you rolled/kicked/whatever. It's mostly just extra chip damage and maybe extra poise damage.

If it did damage comparable to using an actual weapon, yeah, that'd be pretty scary, but I don't expect that to happen.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Just found a really lovely bug in Lost Bastille. Not sure if anyone's encountered this before, but if you fall from your death from the ledge above the dogs near McDuff's forge, you don't leave a bloodstain.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Did the thing with old vac bans closing off multiplayer ever get reversed?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
VAC got removed from the game entirely and thus so did the bans associated with it.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

TheRagamuffin posted:

Just found a really lovely bug in Lost Bastille. Not sure if anyone's encountered this before, but if you fall from your death from the ledge above the dogs near McDuff's forge, you don't leave a bloodstain.

Did you check the impact site only? Your bloodstain may be up above near where you fell off, or perhaps near the corpse you first jump to past the double illusory walls.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

CJacobs posted:

VAC got removed from the game entirely and thus so did the bans associated with it.

This is weird news to me, since I thought vac never was integrated with it to begin with, just carrying over legacy bans from other games. Thats good news though, got a buddy whose nephew got him a ban and he swore off touching DS until from got their poo poo together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Protagonist posted:

This is weird news to me, since I thought vac never was integrated with it to begin with, just carrying over legacy bans from other games. Thats good news though, got a buddy whose nephew got him a ban and he swore off touching DS until from got their poo poo together

Yeah, nobody ever actually got VAC banned from Dark Souls 2. The only VAC bans came from being banned in other games; which is actually a bug with VAC in itself because VAC bans are only supposed to apply to games that run on the same engine as the one you got hit for (IE all Source games, etc).