Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I'm curious if any filthy Americans (or anyone, but we're usually worse about languages) has experience playing in a casual environment in a language they don't know. How does that work? Like when the guy sitting across from you is playing mono black devotion you're obviously going to be okay, but what did you do when you played against a brew? Hope someone can translate names? Keep magiccards.info up? How about when you sit down with a brew?

On one hand it seems like a waste spending a night in a foreign country playing a card game, but on the other hand making the game work seems like it'd be sorta fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

If you don't use this for your islands I don't know what the gently caress to tell you.

9th edition Island supremacy

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Huh?
First, time I've been empty quoted with a Hitler emoticon. Whats the point you are attempting to establish, because I am at a loss.......if its just sarcasm than I'm sorry it's 8:20am here and my mind isn't all together yet.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Boxman posted:

I'm curious if any filthy Americans (or anyone, but we're usually worse about languages) has experience playing in a casual environment in a language they don't know. How does that work? Like when the guy sitting across from you is playing mono black devotion you're obviously going to be okay, but what did you do when you played against a brew? Hope someone can translate names? Keep magiccards.info up? How about when you sit down with a brew?

On one hand it seems like a waste spending a night in a foreign country playing a card game, but on the other hand making the game work seems like it'd be sorta fun.

Ok, I'll field this one: I'm an American living in rural Japan for about two years now, and I've gone to at least one pre-release event each set since RTR while here.
I do a bit of legwork before tournaments to memorize new cards by their art, CMC, and power/toughness, which isn't as hard as it sounds. Just do a couple of mock drafts online in English and before you know it, you'll know what cards do before you even read them. I'm lucky enough that the store owner is extremely nice and lets me use his iPad and pulls up the English spoiler page for new sets, in case I need to look up the odd card.

As far as language is concerned, I have a passable understanding of Japanese, but it's by no means fluent.
Luckily, a lot of the terminology you might use when playing are cognates, i.e. they sound the same in English as they do in Japanese.
What really keeps me attending, though, is how earnestly happy the pther players are to have me join them. Even with my language being at a non-fluent level, they work to meet me halfway and never get upset if I need to look up a translation.
It's the reason I get mad at people in America with their "speak Amurrcan or :frogout:" attitude. No one else does that but America.

I can't really speak to your homebrew question. Most of the stuff I see is pretty established in the meta, but I'm sure it would be no problem to just look it up on a phone/iPad.

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 1, 2014

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

If you don't use this for your islands I don't know what the gently caress to tell you.

Theros Pen Island says your mamma dresses you funny. This is the best.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Boxman posted:

Dungeon Ecology covered this really well already (and is in the exact same situation I was in until a year or so ago, I live in an urban area now), but I just want to add that, at least based on my experience, it's not a waste at all. If you're only visiting for a very short time you'll probably have other priorities, but I think visiting a foreign FNM or something can be a lot of fun, to the point that I'd strongly consider bringing a deck along on a trip just in case. Even in Japan, which admittedly earns its reputation for being reticent around foreigners, I've met a lot more enthusiasm and interest than I ever expected. (And incidentally, if anyone's visiting Osaka and has a free Thursday or Friday, come by a Legacy night! We usually get a good handful of people and a growing number of expats showing up.)

As far as brews/unknown cards go, I've never had any issues at all with looking up cards (at casual levels) or just calling for a judge. Players and judges may not speak English, but most people speak Magic English pretty decently, and they'll know what you need if you ask to check a card in English. Hell, even if you ask your opponent if they know a card's English name, nine times out of ten they do. The whole talk a few pages back about card languages completely baffles me; I've never seen anyone outside of America consider it to be something worth commenting on. It's a total non-issue.

kizudarake posted:

One of the main things that annoy me are the anime titty sleeves and playmats. Holy poo poo, jerk off at home on your own time.

This is entirely anecdotal, but from what I hear online about this poo poo back in the States, apparently far more MTG players use these abroad than over here (where they are sold by a lot of game shops). I can count on one hand the times I've sat down across from an opponent that had really egregious sleeves in years of playing here, with fingers left over. It probably helps that there are a ton of CCGs on the Japanese market, and most of the players that would use those sleeves play one of the several games with anime licenses, rather than Magic.

It may also be that everyone knows their sexy anime sleeves will never be half as sexy as MY sexy anime sleeves.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 1, 2014

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

kizudarake posted:

Theros Pen Island says your mamma dresses you funny. This is the best.

I never noticed these until i asked a friend to grab me some islands during a draft and he went and found these for me. Now they're my island of choice and I want to get a bunch of foil ones for the blue tron deck I'm building.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Where do I get those sleeves?

Where are they?!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I never noticed these until i asked a friend to grab me some islands during a draft and he went and found these for me. Now they're my island of choice and I want to get a bunch of foil ones for the blue tron deck I'm building.

The real tragedy is that Theros didn't have full art lands.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Molybdenum posted:

Where do I get those sleeves?

Where are they?!

You can try Japanese Amazon or this shop, which has them for cheaper, but I've never ordered anything from them before so I can't really vouch for them.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Bleck posted:

The real tragedy is that every set doesn't have full art lands.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

My friend uses anime boob sleeves for decks, so I got these bushiroad ones:

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Count Bleck posted:

The real tragedy is that Theros didn't have full art lands.

Full art pen islands, so you can really appreciate the details on the main pillar and see the mossy rocks at the base?

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I remember having Revised, 4th and beyond Birds of Paradise and coloring the white borders with sharpie because I used Birds in almost EVERY deck (5c-Blue w/ Tradewind Rider yesssss), and white bordered are gently caress-ugly.

I got pretty good at it, and now can easily tell when people do it. I have seen it before and laugh about it.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

White borders are basically the pimpest of all borders.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Hopping Ghost posted:

You can try Japanese Amazon or this shop, which has them for cheaper, but I've never ordered anything from them before so I can't really vouch for them.
gently caress yes, I'm gonna get those right now! I can vouch for Amiami, they're a good shop, but don't like it when you cancel orders. So when you make a purchase, make sure that's what you really want.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Mark Poole revised sunset island is the best island.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
My white bordered Blood Moons provide a nice one two punch as they hit the field. The psychological pressure is too much for most.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

neetengie posted:

gently caress yes, I'm gonna get those right now! I can vouch for Amiami, they're a good shop, but don't like it when you cancel orders. So when you make a purchase, make sure that's what you really want.

My usual sleeves are Hyper Mattes but I whip these out for large events. I have gotten mostly compliments and smatterings of "wait foreigners know this too?" when I use them. My favorite reaction ever was round one of the Big Magic Open legacy tournament in Yokohama last year, though. This guy dressed in all black sits down, spreads a hand-drawn Nether Void playmat, sets down a leather-bound book and a fountain pen to write life totals, and shuffles up his fancied-up Pox deck. Across the table, I start pile shuffling with closeups of the Yaranaika Guy's face. He never says anything, but his disappointment at my spectacular failure to participate in his fantasy of being a dark wizard is plainly visible.

I don't mean to be like "look at this dork I played against" (though I would not have chosen a Harold McNeill piece for my playmat) - one of my favorite things about legacy is how into their decks people can get - but I definitely felt like I was already dreamcrushing before I'd even beaten him.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 1, 2014

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Are there any sleeves that don't turn an EDH deck into an utter monster to transport?

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Veyrall posted:

Are there any sleeves that don't turn an EDH deck into an utter monster to transport?

Sorry friend. You play a monster deck, you carry it like it the monster it is.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Hopping Ghost posted:

I don't mean to be like "look at this dork I played against" (though I would not have chosen a Harold McNeill piece for my playmat) - one of my favorite things about legacy is how into their decks people can get - but I definitely felt like I was already dreamcrushing before I'd even beaten him.

It really is too bad the dude is racist rear end in a top hat, as he did a bunch of really good card arts. Darkness, Nether Void, and his Fog are all among my favorites.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
SDCC panel's up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S3_oYCnBak

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Hopping Ghost posted:

My usual sleeves are Hyper Mattes but I whip these out for large events. I have gotten mostly compliments and smatterings of "wait foreigners know this too?" when I use them. My favorite reaction ever was round one of the Big Magic Open legacy tournament in Yokohama last year, though. This guy dressed in all black sits down, spreads a hand-drawn Nether Void playmat, sets down a leather-bound book and a fountain pen to write life totals, and shuffles up his fancied-up Pox deck. Across the table, I start pile shuffling with closeups of the Yaranaika Guy's face. He never says anything, but his disappointment at my spectacular failure to participate in his fantasy of being a dark wizard is plainly visible.

Just for the hell of it, you should have actually said "Yaranaika?" while unbuttoning/unzipping your shirt/jacket with that Pox dude, to see his reaction. Hell I would have done it.

I'll probably use these sleeves for Standard, since I don't want to waste my glorious Hyper Mattes on those things.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Pro Tour 2015 is starting for anyone interested.

http://twitch.tv/magic

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I usually watch on YouTube instead of Twitch for the Pro Tours, and then the draft cuts out for the first two packs of Ben Stark's draft...

Meanwhile when we get a chance to watch Sam Black's draft I had to stop when the camera decided to spend the entire time focusing on Buehler instead of THE ACTUAL DRAFT :argh:

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Goddamn, stark, stop flicking your loving cards. That's now my third annoying thing.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Ben Stark bluffing the Peel from Reality so hard :stare:

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Get a load of this guy, everyone. Let's pile on! But seriously you are being dumb Moritmer and there exist tournament organizers for exactly this purpose.

To contribute, here's my favourite story about scumming with foreign cards. Alara timeframe, Seattle PTQ, somewhere on the bubble or in the top8 I forget. Game three control player gets an asian foil Inkwell Leviathan down. Opponent says, "remind me what abilities this card has. Islandwalk and shroud right?". "Yep," replies dude. Opponent has no islands and sets up his blocks next turn, expecting to win on the crack back. Damage happens and dude extends the hand right when he says, "and trample."

Haha what a dick move. In hindsight it was arguably cheating by being dishonest about public information. The lesson here is always ask a judge if your'e not sure.

Is this the story about Gerry Thompson having a Japanese Inkwell Leviathan? That's not what happened, his opponent never asked what it does, he just assumed he knew. In the article about what happened, the judge writing it posits the scenario, "What if he had asked what the card does?" and verifies that a partial answer about public information is legal.

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/the-riki-rules-alls-well-that-inkwells/

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

So in case you guys weren't aware BenS is pretty good at the game Magic: the Gathering

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Speaking of SDCC, when are those Planeswalkers going online at Hasbro? I need to buy like 30 of those sets.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Elyv posted:

So in case you guys weren't aware BenS is pretty good at the game Magic: the Gathering

His deck SUCKS. It's really unbelievable that he's going to win this match.

Edit: NM he's gonna lose. The Gas gets there

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 1, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I still find Inkwell Leviathan to be the weirdest Big Blue creature just because it basically has unblockable, hexproof, and trample because reasons. :shrug:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

His deck SUCKS. It's really unbelievable that he's going to win this match.

That game 2 was incredible and sideboarding in back to nature for g3 was sick.

Sadly, it doesn't look like it's actually going to be enough.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Elyv posted:

Cuneo's not so shabby himself apparently.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Elyv posted:

Until he loses :smug:

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Count Bleck posted:

I still find Inkwell Leviathan to be the weirdest Big Blue creature just because it basically has unblockable, hexproof, and trample because reasons. :shrug:

A 9 mana creature ought to do a pretty good job of winning the game on it's own, though.

And all those effects have appeared on other Big Blue Beefcakes in various combinations before.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Elyv posted:

How is that sick? and not just the thing you do when you see a spectra ward. Like that's the obvious answer.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Elyv posted:

Sadly, it doesn't look like it's actually going to be enough.

It's not like it takes a pro to SB Back to Nature if you see a Spectra Ward though haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

It's not like it takes a pro to SB Back to Nature if you see a Spectra Ward though haha.

yeah I exaggerated, but I probably wouldn't've taken it in the first place(I am bad at Magic)

• Locked thread