Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

If you want a good example of everyone knowing the victim's name but not the killers, have a read of the Drummer Lee Rigby case from the UK. Rather gruesome murder as well, so it fits into this thread nicely. Apologies if this is a repost but I don't recall seeing it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drummer_Lee_Rigby

(I suspect the main reason that we've forgotten the murderer's names is that they're hard to pronounce and foreign - that said, the press made little mention of them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Is sheer unbridled horror within the purview of this thread? Because aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetal_abduction

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha

HMS Boromir posted:

Is sheer unbridled horror within the purview of this thread? Because aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

There was a really horrifying French film about that called "Inside." I'd read about it before, but had never really allowed myself the time to let how freaky it actually was until watching that film.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

HMS Boromir posted:

What the poo poo :stare:

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
The reason not to treat serial killers like unknowable monsters is, that sort of implies that there's nothing that could have prevented him from becoming a serial killer. He was just A Monster, so case closed. Only by trying to understand these people can we help the next ones before they kill.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

sugar mouse posted:

If you want a good example of everyone knowing the victim's name but not the killers, have a read of the Drummer Lee Rigby case from the UK. Rather gruesome murder as well, so it fits into this thread nicely. Apologies if this is a repost but I don't recall seeing it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drummer_Lee_Rigby

(I suspect the main reason that we've forgotten the murderer's names is that they're hard to pronounce and foreign - that said, the press made little mention of them)

I figured everyone in the UK knew their names, every news report was just about how SICK AND EVIL they are, and how we must control the muslamic hordes. If anything they focused more on the murderers than the victim and his family.

EDIT: And if we're going on a bandwagon of sympathising with murderers, I at least agree with what they claimed in their manifesto. The UK government doesn't care about ARE BOYS unless their deaths can be used as justification in a witch hunt against brown people.

Praseodymi has a new favorite as of 13:51 on Aug 1, 2014

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

willus posted:

You're looking at this from the perspective of sympathy being a limited thing.

To some extent, sure. But the majority of it is that I'm just angry over the disproportionate amount of attention that gets paid to all of these shithead murderers compared to the victims they abused.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

SheepNameKiller posted:

To some extent, sure. But the majority of it is that I'm just angry over the disproportionate amount of attention that gets paid to all of these shithead murderers compared to the victims they abused.

You're missing the point: sympathy for the victims is assumed and thus not worthy of discussion. And what is there to say about the victims of a serial killer beyond "they were in the wrong place at the wrong time, ain't that lovely?"

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

DStecks posted:

You're missing the point: sympathy for the victims is assumed and thus not worthy of discussion. And what is there to say about the victims of a serial killer beyond "they were in the wrong place at the wrong time, ain't that lovely?"

Plus it doesn't let you be holier-than-thou with people whose hearts aren't bursting with love for all of humanity.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm sexy and I have a fat little chode.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

BioMe posted:

Plus it doesn't let you be holier-than-thou with people whose hearts aren't bursting with love for all of humanity.

The people you're saying are holier-than-thou were simply defending themselves. The discussion wasn't an argument at all until you and others posted about how disgusting it is that somebody could feel sympathy for Dahmer. So who was really holier-than-thou in that situation?

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

The people you're saying are holier-than-thou were simply defending themselves. The discussion wasn't an argument at all until you and others posted about how disgusting it is that somebody could feel sympathy for Dahmer. So who was really holier-than-thou in that situation?

Probably the one who claims to have sympathy for every human being.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't think anyone really believes sympathy is finite and seeing everyone use that as a speaking point is pretty silly to be honest. "Waste sympathy" is a pretty old term and is not meant to be taken literally. It means that the person does not deserve sympathy for whatever reason.

We can discuss all day about whether serial killers deserve it or not, but can we stop pretending that that one point is worth bringing up over and over again.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

DStecks posted:

You're correct but assumptions like that are often the cause of misunderstandings like this, so it's in the benefit of the people who keep posting about what a horrible life Dahmer had and how utterly human he was to acknowledge that he was responsible for perpetrating 10000% more torture than was inflicted upon him personally and that his actions were those of an incredibly evil monster devoid of humanity.

I choose not to have sympathy for these people, because there's no need to. I actually do think what people choose to talk about causes a limited amount of attention to be directed towards more important issues. Even if sympathy is an infinite resource, where you pay your attention tends to determine how you direct it.

SheepNameKiller has a new favorite as of 15:19 on Aug 1, 2014

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
i too make a deliberate decision to feel no sympathy for someone who was homosexual at time when such thoughts were aggressively suppressed, suffered from substance abuse issues and had little to nothing in the way of support networks

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

willus posted:

i too make a deliberate decision to feel no sympathy for someone who was homosexual at time when such thoughts were aggressively suppressed, suffered from substance abuse issues and had little to nothing in the way of support networks

the sympathy should subside when you find out that he killed some guys, cut them up, ate them, and hell, enjoyed it.

edit: also had sex with their corpses, which is pretty bad as well

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
shut the gently caress up about serial killers holy christ

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

SheepNameKiller posted:

I choose not to have sympathy for these people, because there's no need to. I actually do think what people choose to talk about causes a limited amount of attention to be directed towards more important issues. Even if sympathy is an infinite resource, where you pay your attention tends to determine how you direct it.

See I would love to be able to do that, and I'm being 100% sincere when I say that. It doesn't feel to me like I have a choice of whether or not to feel sympathy or empathy, it kind of just happens. I think you make a good point though because the more I learn about somebody it becomes impossible to not feel sympathy, but maybe that means I'm spending my time learning about the wrong people. I have a criminal justice degree so I've spent a lot of time in various classes hearing about terrible people.

Basebf555 has a new favorite as of 15:45 on Aug 1, 2014

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Noose Induce posted:

shut the gently caress up about serial killers holy christ

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript

This isn't scary or disturbing, you just posted it so you could shout at everyone, spoilsport.

This one is actually pretty hosed up though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvia_Likens

I don't remember seeing it in this thread although I'm sure it's been in one of them.

quote:

the most terrible crime ever committed in the state of Indiana

It's probably one of the few things I know about that I really wish I didn't.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Famine_of_1315%E2%80%9317 a little bit of rain never hurt anyone, right?

Semi off topic, is there a more appropriate thread, perhaps in disco debate, that discussions of sympathy and more general emotional reactions to things can go?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Articles like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_far_future unnerve me a lot more than stuff about serial killers and the like. Just reading about all these events that are due to happen millions of years into the future that will render everything done by every person everywhere irrelevant isn't pleasant to think about.

Though I suppose it could stop you from worrying about whether or not someone feels sympathy for Jeffrey Dahmer because one day there will be no evidence that you, Jeffrey Dahmer and the concept of sympathy even existed.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

willus posted:

Do you even realize how offensive it is to try to compare Jeffrey Dahmer to the experiences of all other gay people? The dude wasn't exactly a friend to gay people, judging by how many he murdered throughout his lifetime.

It was probably significantly harder to be one of his victims during a time when being homosexual was considered to be wrong and there were people like Dahmer going around murdering the gently caress out of kids like you.

Basebf555 posted:

See I would love to be able to do that, and I'm being 100% sincere when I say that. It doesn't feel to me like I have a choice of whether or not to feel sympathy or empathy, it kind of just happens. I think you make a good point though because the more I learn about somebody it becomes impossible to not feel sympathy, but maybe that means I'm spending my time learning about the wrong people. I have a criminal justice degree so I've spent a lot of time in various classes hearing about terrible people.

It's easy for me to not care about serial killers because I don't spend all my time reading about them or studying their motives. The more attention you pay to any one person, the more you see their human qualities. But even beyond that, if you judge Dahmer based on his actions it paints a completely different story about his supposed remorse. There are a lot of bad people, and no one is ever 100% evil, but Dahmer is still as close to a monster as I've ever seen.

SheepNameKiller has a new favorite as of 16:46 on Aug 1, 2014

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Please stop this "sympathy for serial killers" argument. It doesn't belong here. Nobody needs the last word--please just quit.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

SheepNameKiller posted:

Do you even realize how offensive it is to try to compare Jeffrey Dahmer to the experiences of all other gay people? The dude wasn't exactly a friend to gay people, judging by how many he murdered throughout his lifetime.

It was probably significantly harder to be one of his victims during a time when being homosexual was considered to be wrong and there were people like Dahmer going around murdering the gently caress out of kids like you.

It's easy for me to not care about serial killers because I don't spend all my time reading about them or studying their motives. The more attention you pay to any one person, the more you see their human qualities. But even beyond that, if you judge Dahmer based on his actions it paints a completely different story about his supposed remorse. There are a lot of bad people, and no one is ever 100% evil, but Dahmer is still as close to a monster as I've ever seen.

I'm not trying to claim this is the same struggle all gay people went through at the same time in any shape or form. I'm saying that, regardless of who he turned out to be, I can't help but feel sympathetic when I hear about his childhood. His childhood is what I feel sympathy for. The idea that the person he ultimately became should retroactively erase his developmental period is unnerving to me.

Additionally, I don't spend all my time reading about serial killers or studying their motives, this is the only place I get information about this kind of thing unless i go looking for content.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ervil_LeBaron Here's someone whose hosed up legacy continues to haunt people after his death.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Things like this are so scary to me because as we learn more and more about variations in climate, it seems like even a small change of a few years can really ruin human civilization. The end of the classical period and collapse of Rome tracks with a drop in temperature and decline in food production too.

Human civilization is incredibly fragile compared to the poo poo that happens regularly on Earth.

Remember that we're in a warm period between ice ages too, one that will probably end in a few thousand years. Everything from writing and agriculture on up has happened because we're in a warm period.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Sebastian Vettel posted:

Articles like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_far_future unnerve me a lot more than stuff about serial killers and the like. Just reading about all these events that are due to happen millions of years into the future that will render everything done by every person everywhere irrelevant isn't pleasant to think about.

Though I suppose it could stop you from worrying about whether or not someone feels sympathy for Jeffrey Dahmer because one day there will be no evidence that you, Jeffrey Dahmer and the concept of sympathy even existed.

I dunno, I like to think that if we're still around for half of this poo poo we'll have outgrown the need to live on Earth. Maybe that's just wishful thinking though.

Parts like this make me really sad though :smith:

Wiki posted:

2 million[Years] Estimated time required for coral reef ecosystems to physically rebuild and biologically recover from current human-caused ocean acidification.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Jack Gladney posted:

Things like this are so scary to me because as we learn more and more about variations in climate, it seems like even a small change of a few years can really ruin human civilization. The end of the classical period and collapse of Rome tracks with a drop in temperature and decline in food production too.

Human civilization is incredibly fragile compared to the poo poo that happens regularly on Earth.

Remember that we're in a warm period between ice ages too, one that will probably end in a few thousand years. Everything from writing and agriculture on up has happened because we're in a warm period.

Exactly. 7 cm of rain and 3 degrees celsius is apparently the range within which wheat grows best. Even speculating about what 1 sd would do..

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

never mind

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 17:29 on Aug 1, 2014

on spec
Feb 2, 2014

Inevitable posted:

There are literally hundreds of submerged cars in Houston's bayous that nobody is investigating due to the cost of removing them.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Sonar-pictures-reveal-more-than-100-vehicles-sunk-5474530.php#photo-6296043

This is what my grandmother calls "borrowing trouble."

So what if you are a prude, as long as you're a happy prude? And why are you worrying about your future single self's ability to find someone to gently caress? You don't even know what your future single self will be like, so how could you POSSIBLY predict how attractive he'll be, who he'll know (and therefore who might or might not want to have sex with him) or even, you know, if he'll exist.

This is a colossal waste of your time and energy. Take stock of what you like about your life and yourself, make a plan to fix the things you don't, nurture your marriage, and go have a beer or something; Jesus.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That may be one of my favorite misquote/post combos.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Smarmy John posted:

This is what my grandmother calls "borrowing trouble."

So what if you are a prude, as long as you're a happy prude? And why are you worrying about your future single self's ability to find someone to gently caress? You don't even know what your future single self will be like, so how could you POSSIBLY predict how attractive he'll be, who he'll know (and therefore who might or might not want to have sex with him) or even, you know, if he'll exist.

This is a colossal waste of your time and energy. Take stock of what you like about your life and yourself, make a plan to fix the things you don't, nurture your marriage, and go have a beer or something; Jesus.

wrong tab

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
He's been going into a bunch of threads posting that same post.

on spec
Feb 2, 2014

DStecks posted:

wrong tab

No.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Transmogrifier posted:

He's been going into a bunch of threads posting that same post.

Oh, it's supposed to be random and funny. K.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I just happen to find reality the most unnerving thing of all

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Air_Lines_Flight_401
2nd deadliest single-aircraft disaster in the US, cause by a single burnt-out LED light distracting the whole flight crew so much that no one noticed the plane slowly descending into the tarry blackness of the Everglades at night.

I watched a documentary about this years ago. They did a re-enactment based on what they got from the black box and it really was unnerving. The whole flight crew screwing around trying to find out why a little red light on the instrument panel wasn't working and completely forgetting that they were supposed to be flying a plane. Made me scared to fly for a long time.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Winning the post-count wars, you are. I will pray no one catches on.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

VidaGrey posted:

I agree with the sympathy thing. People are so black and white about stuff sometimes that it's unnerving. We aren't robots and feeling sympathy doesn't mean that we are taking away the fact that he was responsible for the atrocities that he had committed.

As for primordial dwarfism, it's such an extremely rare condition but someone gave birth to a boy with the disorder near my old hometown. http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/griffith/article_42bff31e-74e8-5bc4-959e-9296ad9a4f19.html soooo tiny

I know this is from the last page, but gently caress that woman's ex-fiance. I hope he gets kicked in the nuts every day for the rest of his miserable life.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

I know this is from the last page, but gently caress that woman's ex-fiance. I hope he gets kicked in the nuts every day for the rest of his miserable life.

I dunno, I kind of feel some sympat-- :suicide:

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

stickyfngrdboy posted:

This one is actually pretty hosed up though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvia_Likens

I don't remember seeing it in this thread although I'm sure it's been in one of them.

It's probably one of the few things I know about that I really wish I didn't.

Speaking of terrible crimes in Indiana, here's one from my hometown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Shanda_Sharer

A bunch of teenage girls kidnap, torture, burn alive, and murder a 12 year old girl. Yeah, it's pretty much as depressing and unnerving as it sounds. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explain How!
Dec 14, 2013

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Nothing wrong with not being able to cope yo.