Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

This is now my favorite page in all of One Piece, topping this one.

http://i.imgur.com/vJygeP4.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

tbh i hope hes like the 2nd underling of kaidou or something and fights sanji

Turns out Kaidou is actually Gin. He was known for being absolutely ruthless too, right?

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
A poster on Cinema Discusso just reminded me that this movie existed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH0jCmDWVYw (skip to 3:50)

And here I thought, Pirate Docking was a novel idea, turns out Oda just ripped it off :haw:

Thoren
May 28, 2008

davidHalestorm posted:

A poster on Cinema Discusso just reminded me that this movie existed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH0jCmDWVYw (skip to 3:50)

And here I thought, Pirate Docking was a novel idea, turns out Oda just ripped it off :haw:

The whole movie is on youtube...

yes.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

nope, gin's promise of seeing luffy on the grand line again is one of the few loose ends that seems to have no conclusion alluded to

Gin had hours to live after inhaling all of that poison, they explicitly say so during his departure. That promise was just the happy things you say to a person who is about to die ("yes grampa, after this we'll go fishing and we'll catch a real big one", etc...) :smith:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Petiso posted:

Gin had hours to live after inhaling all of that poison, they explicitly say so during his departure. That promise was just the happy things you say to a person who is about to die ("yes grampa, after this we'll go fishing and we'll catch a real big one", etc...) :smith:

No one every survives a certain death from poison in One Piece.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Gyges posted:

No one every survives a certain death from poison in One Piece.
BON CLAY-SAMAAAA- oh.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

If I had done nothing but read, I probably could have easily knocked out the entire series in like a month or two, but it ended up taking me almost a year. And I think taking things slow like that makes it better. It's more of an adventure that way.

Now that you caught up on reading, there are a few scenes you should YouTube from the anime series because they're arguably executed so well that it tops the manga. Some of those scenes include Going Merry's funeral, Luffy losing his crew against Kuma, Luffy punching out the Celestial Dragon. I'm sure others have great recommendations too.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

AshB posted:

Now that you caught up on reading, there are a few scenes you should YouTube from the anime series because they're arguably executed so well that it tops the manga. Some of those scenes include Going Merry's funeral, Luffy losing his crew against Kuma, Luffy punching out the Celestial Dragon. I'm sure others have great recommendations too.
- :zoro:

- Most of Water 7 was even better in the Anime. Usopp vs Luffy, lots of Franky stuff, etc.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

AshB posted:

On top of this be sure to watch Movie 6 and also Strong World. (But especially movie 6) The G-8 filler from the anime is pretty good too and I wish it was in the manga.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

AshB posted:

Sogeking's Song is incredible,

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

A Meat posted:

Oh my god it is. Thanks for the recommendation.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Another thought about One Piece as a whole. When you compare the villains in the East Blue saga to pretty much everybody that came afterwards, especially the ones who haven't appeared again, you just have to realize that Captain Kuro was a loving chump, holy poo poo.

I like how Kuro's ultimate move was shown as being very dangerous, and then we later have CP9 all able to use essentially the same movement technique minus the drawbacks as one of their basic moves. Even Coby learns it, and Luffy figures it out just by watching CP9 do it. Kuro would never make it in Paradise at that level.

Also consider how Luffy essentially curbstomped every major East Blue villain. Then Smoker came along and was the first opponent he faced that forced him to run because he had no way of punching a dude made of smoke. It was a good way to showcase how powerful Luffy was when he started his journey and hinted at the sorts of challenges he was eventually going to have to figure out how to overcome.

A Meat posted:

Toonami just started the Enies Lobby arc so Adult Swim viewers have heard the Sogeking theme song a few times by now. It never fails to impress. There's a reason the Adult Swim thread was renamed "It's in your heart". :allears:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Bisse posted:

- Most of Water 7 was even better in the Anime.

I both agree and disagree. Water 7 itself is loving phenomenal to see animated, having just recently watched it myself, but it also happens to mark the point where episodes get padded like crazy. All the insane amounts of recaps begin near the end of Water 7, and pick up steam really fast in Enies Lobby. It's not quite as bad as later arcs at that stage, but once you get to the CP9 fights it's at least 5 minutes per episode of stuff just stuff cut wholesale from the previous one.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I've already seen Strong World, and I'll make sure to look up movie 6 and those scenes when I get back to school.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The anime gets a bad rap but it is superior to the manga in every way except for pacing, which can be glacial and awful. That's just the pitfall of adapting a still running manga in a season-less format. One Piece anime in a 24 episode season for however many seasons it took to finish would have been the best thing.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Jimbot posted:

The anime gets a bad rap but it is superior to the manga in every way except for pacing, which can be glacial and awful. That's just the pitfall of adapting a still running manga in a season-less format. One Piece anime in a 24 episode season for however many seasons it took to finish would have been the best thing.

filler
the art is worse 95% of the time

manga is definitely better for everything except fights

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Jimbot posted:

The anime used to be good and got progressively worse starting from Impel Down even if the pacing wasn't always great. The art got terrible, the animation got worse, the pacing dropped like a stone and lots of the filler they insert now can get creepy or weird ( look up that weird Sanji imagination stuff in Punk hazard) or the filler actively misses the point of the story such as Luffy struggling with mooks like Caesar or Hody when he's supposed to be curbstomping them.

All that said though, the anime is worth it for the fantastic voice acting and music and some of the moments just top the manga equivalent flatout.

Edit:
Ohh and watch Dead End Adventure if you're going to watch One Piece movies. It's pretty good, the bar scene in particular is one of my favorite sequences in the shows history

Asuron fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 1, 2014

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

manga is definitely better for everything except fights

The anime does the fights, the music (like Bink's Sake or Sogeking's theme) and the emotional moments so much better though. It's hard not to end up in tears when you're watching say Chopper's back story or seeing Going Merry's funeral.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Asuron posted:

The anime used to be good and got progressively worse starting from Impel Down even if the pacing wasn't always great. The art got terrible, the animation got worse, the pacing dropped like a stone and lots of the filler they insert now can get creepy or weird ( look up that weird Sanji imagination stuff in Punk hazard) or the filler actively misses the point of the story such as Luffy struggling with mooks like Caesar or Hody when he's supposed to be curbstomping them.

The worst offense was adding a flashback about Hody about to get captured by human slavers.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Bisse posted:

- :zoro:

- Most of Water 7 was even better in the Anime. Usopp vs Luffy, lots of Franky stuff, etc.

-Anything Franky

-Anything Bon Clay

-Anything Buggy

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh God they played We Are when Merry was burning nooooo :gonk:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I watched the anime in one big chunk over the course of a few months up until about halfway through Impel Down, and continued until the time skip, at which point I switched to the manga. I felt Impel Down was the major turning point where everything just started going to poo poo. I still enjoyed it but I could tell the animation quality and pacing were just tanking rapidly. By the time Marineford was happening, it was full on terrible. I'll never be able to get that Large Group Of People Running sound effect out of my goddamn head.

The CP9 Saga definitely has some issues with the pacing stemming from all the recaps but when you watch it all in a row it really isn't as big of an issue. Now that I'm watching the dub on Toonami (dub is great btw) I'm noticing that it's not necessarily SLOW but not a lot of stuff is happening in each individual episode. Watching it week to week must have been pretty brutal but at least back then what little they did per episode was still high quality. I really liked the way the characters were drawn back then, too.

If you're gonna watch the One Piece movies then I say just watch 'em all. They're like DBZ movies, half of them are pretty decent, half of them are garbage, and one or two own hella bones. Except 8 because it's literally just a really really bad clip show of an arc that's way too long to fit in a movie and doesn't even change poo poo up like 9 did.

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 1, 2014

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

WhiffleballDude posted:

I'll never be able to get that Large Group Of People Running sound effect out of my goddamn head.

I can't really expect Toei to draw a wide variety of coliseum spectator reaction shots but it gets silly when it's the same very short loop that plays in every single episode the coliseum is featured in.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

Jimbot posted:

The anime gets a bad rap...

The dub got a bad rap too.

:mrgw:

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

WhiffleballDude posted:

I watched the anime in one big chunk over the course of a few months up until about halfway through Impel Down, and continued until the time skip, at which point I switched to the manga. I felt Impel Down was the major turning point where everything just started going to poo poo. I still enjoyed it but I could tell the animation quality and pacing were just tanking rapidly. By the time Marineford was happening, it was full on terrible. I'll never be able to get that Large Group Of People Running sound effect out of my goddamn head.
There is a very sharp cutoff point in quality and that is when they get Kuma-ported. That is one of the best scenes in the anime. It is also the last great scene in the anime. Everything after that just gets worse and worse.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
I found the symbolism of the bursting bubbles to be pretty heavy-handed, tbh.

My favorite stretch of the anime is Water 7 and the train ride to Enies Lobby, mostly because that's when I caught up and because it was the first big "poo poo is getting real" arc. Luffy vs Usopp, the CP9 twist, Sanji on the sea train, Brand New World, the Sogeking theme song, Franky vs Nero... :sbahj:

Star Platinum fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 1, 2014

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Bisse posted:

There is a very sharp cutoff point in quality and that is when they get Kuma-ported. That is one of the best scenes in the anime. It is also the last great scene in the anime. Everything after that just gets worse and worse.

Bon Clay cheering Luffy on when he was being operated on in Impel Down was pretty well done. In general, the anime will always pull off the emotional and dramatic moments well, it's just the pacing is not as tight as it used to be.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
One Piece will be the greatest anime when it receives the FMA:Brotherhood treatment.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Or the DBZ Kai treatment.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

End of the Dressrosa arc, Toei goes "gently caress it, starting over!" and then none of us lives to see the end.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Brotherhood treatment might be okay, but what I really want is a Hunter x Hunter 2011 treatment.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Isn't the 2011 HxH anime pretty heavily censored?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

RatHat posted:

It's time to welcome back the lollipop!

bondster
May 6, 2007

Re: One Piece Movies

Here is my breakdown of the flicks:

Movie 1: Okay, nothing really spectacular as it only has the initial crew sans Sanji. Only an hour long so if you got a free hour its not the worst thing to watch.

Movie 2: I actually really enjoyed this movie; really fond of the enemy designs. Plus I liked the look of the clockwork island where the film takes place. Again only an hour, so not a huge waste of time. It also has the bonus Jango's Dance Carnival short which is pretty good.

Movie 3: Avoid this movie at all costs. Holy poo poo this film is just bad and the rogue gallery is the worst. There is nearly no redeemable qualities of this crap.

Movie 4: This is probably the best traditional One Piece movie. Loved the concept of a grand pirate race and its something that could probably of fit within the canon. Great side characters and also loved the way they took out the villain.

Movie 5: I have vague memories of this one, as it was the first One Piece movie I watched. All I can remember is that it was Zoro focused and kind of mediocre.

Movie 6: The best non-traditional One Piece movie. It was directed by Mamoru Hosoda who also directed The Girl who Leapt Through Time and Summer Wars. It is by far the weirdest and possibly creepiest One Piece as the mood and tone are very different from the show. This is an absolute must watch for the amazing visual style alone.

Movie 7: Reminds me of Movie 5 in that really generic, mediocre way. There are two things I remember from this movie: The comically inflation of both Nami and Robin's breasts (I think they made a sound effect whenever they bounced?) and it offers a possible origin for (spoilers for those who haven't seen this movie)Gear Second.

Movie 8: This is also very crap, as it a condensed version of the Alabasta arc with lovely animation. Turns out condensing a 40+ episode saga into 2 hours is a really terrible idea. If you do have a need to see this movie, it was one of the first things that Funimation dubbed for One Piece so of course please buy it if you want it.

Movie 9: Similar to the last movie, this is a condensed version of Drum Island. However not only does it work much better here, they do some different things here like replace Vivi and Carue with Robin and Franky and also have Gear Second. The animation style is a little odd in spots though.

Movie 10: Strong World was a pretty good movie,it really screams like something Oda made with its weird characters and premise. Cool visuals and great Straw Hat moments. Also I think this started Oda's trend of having fights with suits on which is a great trend please keep it up Oda. This was also dubbed by Funimation so please buy it and support the official release.

Movie 11: Never saw it, it was a CG flick that I had no interest in. Don't know if its good or not.

Movie 12: Its ok, I liked Z's design but I found the premise way too out there for a filler flick. They are dubbing this as well so buy it when it comes out.

tl;dr: Watch Movie 4, 6, 10. Avoid Movie 3, 8. The rest is in the middle somewhere.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

RatHat posted:

Not anymore!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RatHat posted:

Not since it went to the night slot.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kild posted:

Not since it went to the night slot.

Even before then not that much. I haven't read the manga prior to the Election arc but from what I understand the only major censoring is with what Hisoka does during the Hunter Exam arc. Yorknew City Arc was also quite violent.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

bondster posted:

Movie 11: Never saw it, it was a CG flick that I had no interest in. Don't know if its good or not.
Mugiwara Chase is pretty much what happens when you extend a filler episode centered around a single gag (getting back Luffy's hat) into an OVA/movie length feature. Other than being all CG, it is very forgettable and can easily be skipped.

I'm also seconding the avoidance of Movie 8. About the only good thing I can say about the film is that it cuts out one of the anime version's major annoyances, the repeated, multi-episode spanning, montages of Vivi screaming at everyone to stop fighting while standing in the clock tower. After that, it barely counts as a Cliff Notes version of the Alabasta arc and not worth your time. You're better off watching the anime or reading the manga versions of Alabasta. Also, I think Movie 8 cuts out New World Symphony-4th Movement from Crocodile's defeat, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoren
May 28, 2008
How can so many movies about an amazing series suck so bad?

Are there just no writers that give a poo poo about making a good anime filler movie?

• Locked thread