Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Master Twig posted:

I'm going to run this list tonight. Does it make me a bad person?

Flying Hive Tyrant - Wings - 2x Twinlinked devourers
Termagant Brood - 15x termagants
Termagant Brood - 10x termagants
Ravener Brood - x7 Raveners - Rending Claws
Venomthrope
Zoanthrope
Zoanthrope
Exocrine
Exocrine

You've got Raveners in there, so you're okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Raveners are good. :colbert: I don't care what people say. They've more than made up their points on many occasions.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Master Twig posted:

Raveners are good. :colbert: I don't care what people say. They've more than made up their points on many occasions.

I agree that Raveners can be good and are a fun and fluffy add into an army. I also agree that they're not especially competitive and most gunline armies will laugh them off the table. T4 multi-wound models have an obvious weakness and also every army in the game can take advantage of it.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
If it were just S8+ stuff they would be okay, but everything is good against Raveners. A 5+ armor save does jack poo poo for protection and in close combat they have nothing else to rely on. It's the same problem Ogryn have- decent stats don't make up for lovely armor.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Speaking of models that suffer a S8 weakness, I did a quick repaint of one of my original Tyranid Warriors from when I originally started playing Warhammer 40,000 sometime in 2001.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Nice! I really like the Warrior models and your scheme looks great on them. Nice basing too.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Aw, shucks you guys. It was actually a pretty easy conversion once I figured out what the hell I was doing; I can draw up a diagram if anybody's curious.

Also, those Gal Vorbak :stwoon:

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!
Is there a consensus on whether or not Thousand Sons are worth using in 7e? They still seem really over costed to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Hi thread,

I've been working on my Dark Angels lately, and I finally have more than a single tactical squad painted, so here are some pictures of mans.

A rhino, super basic but functional:

Some bikes, with hella meltas:

Terminators. Their bases aren't done yet, and they look worse in real life:

Thanks,
Anamal.net

PS the goal is to have the 1k list painted in full for a game on the 16th, which gives me two weeks to paint a tactical squad, a razorback, and the DV librarian, which is probably do-able.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Dump_Stat posted:

Is there a consensus on whether or not Thousand Sons are worth using in 7e? They still seem really over costed to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

Thousand Sons are considered generally good, but overpriced. They pay a high cost for a moderate save and the privilege of attaching a ML1 Tzeentchian Psyker to their unit. As much as I love the fluff and would like to see a Thousand Sons see a gaming table, they have been overcosted for at least the last two editions.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Space Wolves are up for pre-order on geedubs. The codex and that new Dreadnought are there, and the codex touts "5 new units" - I'm guessing those are the two airplanes, Murderfang, Venerable Dreadnought (I don't recall if Wolves got them, aside from Bjorn) and I can't think of the fifth thing.

E: God dang, the 360 views of the Dreadnought are really, really nice.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

SRM posted:

Space Wolves are up for pre-order on geedubs. The codex and that new Dreadnought are there, and the codex touts "5 new units" - I'm guessing those are the two airplanes, Murderfang, Venerable Dreadnought (I don't recall if Wolves got them, aside from Bjorn) and I can't think of the fifth thing.

E: God dang, the 360 views of the Dreadnought are really, really nice.

They may be counting the resculpt of Bjorn as "new." Better yet, they're talking about Krom Dragongaze from the Stormclaw set.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
So the three dreads are just one set. That's pretty neat, would allow you to convert existing dreads to the new ones with all the extra bits.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PierreTheMime posted:

They may be counting the resculpt of Bjorn as "new." Better yet, they're talking about Krom Dragongaze from the Stormclaw set.
That's a possibility! That or some unknown new unit they'll unveil in the next week, but who knows.

Creepy Goat posted:

So the three dreads are just one set. That's pretty neat, would allow you to convert existing dreads to the new ones with all the extra bits.
Yeah, you could get a regular Dreadnought and that set and you'd have two Wolfy as gently caress Dreadnoughts to show for it. That's why I really appreciate all the bits and bobs that come with current kits (not like I've built any in like a year :v:)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
~$225 for a codex, lol

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!

PierreTheMime posted:

Thousand Sons are considered generally good, but overpriced. They pay a high cost for a moderate save and the privilege of attaching a ML1 Tzeentchian Psyker to their unit. As much as I love the fluff and would like to see a Thousand Sons see a gaming table, they have been overcosted for at least the last two editions.

I have a squad that I tooled around with in 6E, but I haven't used them in 7E. Right now, I'm running two ML3 Sorcerers and have been weighing whether they're worth paying the high points over taking my Plague marines, given the additional mastery level.

Edit: I also love their fluff. Ghosts in hollow suits of power armor. even if they kept their high points cost, I'd jump on them if they had a 3++ like Legion of the Damned or a 5+ Feel No Pain (Since they literally cannot feel anything).

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dump_Stat posted:

Edit: I also love their fluff. Ghosts in hollow suits of power armor. even if they kept their high points cost, I'd jump on them if they had a 3++ like Legion of the Damned or a 5+ Feel No Pain (Since they literally cannot feel anything).

Back in the 3.5 book, Thousand Sons had 2 wounds instead of an invulnerable save. It made them really resilient to small arms, but things like krak missiles or lascannons would still take them out. I wouldn't mind seeing a return to that though it'd probably step on the plague marines' toes a little. As-is they just aren't tough enough to justify their cost. To be fair though, they didn't use to have AP3 bolters. I don't know how well the two would play out when combined.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
just a heads up it seems like space wolves storm shields are now blizzard shields

blizzard shields

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Nail Rat posted:

~$225 for a codex, lol

Even for CE items, those prices are ridiculous - though there's a lot of video games that reach that price too. It's insane.

e:

They are pretty though.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

just a heads up it seems like space wolves storm shields are now blizzard shields

blizzard shields
Well, only on the dreadnought.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Thousand Sons pay way too much for their crappy Psyker, 4++ and AP3. The Aspiring Sorcerer is pretty bad unless he rolls Bolt of Tzeentch or whatever the beam power is called. 4++ is nice, but it does basically nothing against most shooting nowadays which is high Strength and high AP. A Wave Serpent or Annihilation Barge doesn't give a poo poo about your 4++, they're just taking you down by forcing a million armor saves. AP3 is also nice, but it's effectiveness is dimished a lot by being only S4, and with SnP you can't even overwatch with your AP3.

I wish Thousand Sons could take a Heavy Bolter or two with Inferno Bolts, that would make them pretty good I think.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
There's also a Champions of Fenris supplement in one of the limited editions, but of course we have no idea what's in it.

It's Dreadnought Troops and I will buy a dozen.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

Hi thread,

I've been working on my Dark Angels lately, and I finally have more than a single tactical squad painted, so here are some pictures of mans.

A rhino, super basic but functional:

Some bikes, with hella meltas:

Terminators. Their bases aren't done yet, and they look worse in real life:

Thanks,
Anamal.net

PS the goal is to have the 1k list painted in full for a game on the 16th, which gives me two weeks to paint a tactical squad, a razorback, and the DV librarian, which is probably do-able.

Dude, these are loving rad! Great job so far. Looking forward to playing a full-painted game.

You should consider painting the tactical designation arrow on the top doors--it'll make a huge difference. Also the DA transfers aren't bad, so consider doing one of those on the side or the front. If you are worried about doing straight lines, the arrow on the doors is big enough that you can mark it off with painter's tape and then paint/spray it on.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Ojetor posted:

Thousand Sons pay way too much for their crappy Psyker, 4++ and AP3. The Aspiring Sorcerer is pretty bad unless he rolls Bolt of Tzeentch or whatever the beam power is called. 4++ is nice, but it does basically nothing against most shooting nowadays which is high Strength and high AP. A Wave Serpent or Annihilation Barge doesn't give a poo poo about your 4++, they're just taking you down by forcing a million armor saves. AP3 is also nice, but it's effectiveness is dimished a lot by being only S4, and with SnP you can't even overwatch with your AP3.

I wish Thousand Sons could take a Heavy Bolter or two with Inferno Bolts, that would make them pretty good I think.

Yeah, I think they would be a lot better with some sort of heavy weapon upgrade. I've always thought it'd be cool to give them a choice of taking AP3 heavy bolters or AP3 autocannons.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Soulfucker posted:

Oh are we doing progress posts? I'm in:

Shrouded Carnifexes? :getin:

Played this together with a Carnifex Brood, Acid Tyrannofex and some regular Tyrants in a 2000 pts game against a buddy's Tau gunline list.

It was a terrific slaughter :black101:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Safety Factor posted:

Back in the 3.5 book, Thousand Sons had 2 wounds instead of an invulnerable save. It made them really resilient to small arms, but things like krak missiles or lascannons would still take them out. I wouldn't mind seeing a return to that though it'd probably step on the plague marines' toes a little. As-is they just aren't tough enough to justify their cost. To be fair though, they didn't use to have AP3 bolters. I don't know how well the two would play out when combined.

Didn't they spend some time ignoring any range attack that didnt cause Instant Death or did they keep that rule to DE Grotesques?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Wait, did GW just make it canon that Bjorn is pissed because of all the WOLFWOLFWOLF bullshit? Okay, that actually rules. :allears:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

~$225 for a codex, lol

How many of you dumb fuckers gonna buy this?

I'm betting at least one.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Wait, really? I don't speak German, but that's kind of hilarious. Bjorn should just be the grumpiest old man.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Didn't they spend some time ignoring any range attack that didnt cause Instant Death or did they keep that rule to DE Grotesques?
Yeah, they did. It was in that awful 3rd edition codex that came out before the 3.5 one. You had to hit them with S6 before you could even hurt them. I can't speak for 2nd edition though.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Magni posted:

Wait, did GW just make it canon that Bjorn is pissed because of all the WOLFWOLFWOLF bullshit? Okay, that actually rules. :allears:

My German's pretty rusty; what's the gist of it?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
So wait the only place that Dataslate or whatever is going to be available for Logan Grimnar is in the Space Wolves Holy shitballs edition?

So unless you pay 250 bucks your not getting that poo poo , suck it poors.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It'll be available separatel digitally, the CE just gets a physical version day one.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Hollismason posted:

So wait the only place that Dataslate or whatever is going to be available for Logan Grimnar is in the Space Wolves Holy shitballs edition?

So unless you pay 250 bucks your not getting that poo poo , suck it poors.

Just wait for it to be released alone? The exact same thing happened with the Ork supplement.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Magni posted:

That would be really great.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Grey-Hunters are still a crazy good deal what with being the price of basically a tactical marine with Counter Attack.

I wonder what "special " rule the over all Space Wolf army will have or if it will have something like the different types of Space Marines.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
All space wolves will have the fear USR, but lack ATSKNF

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Wolfcutter chariot, ho!

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
is

is that real

please let it be real

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Not a viking posted:

Wolfcutter chariot, ho!

This may be the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Welp there's the fifth model.

Someone please post the Seinfeld-throwing-up-his-hands-and-leaving gif, tia.

• Locked thread