Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
How's the north? Things are pretty calm here after some severe winds early this afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

House Louse posted:

Not amongst the foreign teachers, which is what I thought we were talking about. The CTs/secretaries are almost all women, but the two groups don't hang out together that much, alas.

Not a single woman? Out of how many? I don't think I've ever seen an all-male FT staff at any buxiban/school in the mainland, but I always heard it was a thing. Is it normal in Taiwan?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Magna Kaser posted:

Taiwan is the best province of CHina.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Regarding whether to resign with Hess, it really is hit-or-miss. Two or three people can have wildly different experiences, even within the SAME branch, just based on whether you get stuck with the crowded high level classes (tons of difficult marking), a painful split shift or if you get stuck having to do Saturdays.

And then when you hear about the other branches and some of the crazy poo poo they do...

Granted, people love to complain and my branch has a horrid reputation despite the fact that I've had a pretty decent experience so far. Hess teachers tend to hang out and complain about work, so everything gets amplified and people try to top each other's stories, and everything gets blown out of proportion when truthfully, the biggest problem with Hess is a problem with Taiwan in general, in that teachers don't get paid enough to make it worth it for us to fly out here from North America or Europe for a year.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

Not a single woman? Out of how many? I don't think I've ever seen an all-male FT staff at any buxiban/school in the mainland, but I always heard it was a thing. Is it normal in Taiwan?

I worked at one school for two years and saw most of the foreign staff leave and be replaced and now I work at a different school: I have never had a foreign coworker who was a woman. Conversely, I have never worked with a male CT. That's just Taiwan for you.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

I worked at one school for two years and saw most of the foreign staff leave and be replaced and now I work at a different school: I have never had a foreign coworker who was a woman. Conversely, I have never worked with a male CT. That's just Taiwan for you.

Weird. When I was teaching in the mainland every school's FT ratio was 50% or more for women compared to men.

I think that picture summarizes why I think that pretty succinctly.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
At the school I just left, we had a foreign female, but she was SABC. She got replaced with an American girl who within her first breath told me she was vegan and then ate yoghurt. We always had one male CT who was always replaced with another male until the last one who was creepy and weird and was replaced with a lady. However, our 安親班 teacher was a dude.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
In six years and at four different cram schools, I've only worked with one female FT. I've also only worked with one male CT.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Magna Kaser posted:

Apparently so, but I thought it was just a branch thing :shobon:

E: Is the foreign teacher/Taiwanese teacher teaching pair normal in buxibans?

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 23, 2014

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
When I worked at Kojen we had about a 50/50 mix of male/female FTs. CTs have been 90% female in my experience. Since my time at Kojen I haven't worked with another female FT, but I've only worked with 1 other FT so...

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Backweb posted:

I'm looking at booking my flight for early september with Eva Air, nonstop from JFK...

Anybody fly with them before? Are they anything like flying with ANA?

I flew Eva direct from LAX in 2008 and had a pleasant time.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

House Louse posted:

E: Is the foreign teacher/Taiwanese teacher teaching pair normal in buxibans?

Yes, although the actual mixture of classroom teaching time between the two varies from chain to chain and branch to branch. Some schools the two are actually a pair and teach at the same time, but more commonly the CT/FT switch off days teaching, or the CTs are glorified secretaries/bookkeepers.

Unless you work at a foreign-run/Chinese-speaking buxiban, like I do, in which there are no Taiwanese staff save secretaries. Which has its perks, definitely.

eta: When I started at Hess a couple of years ago the NSTs were about 50/50 male/female, which over the course of about a year became about 90/10 male/female. I dated the one female NST for a while. Now I don't work at Hess anymore. Funny how that works out.

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 23, 2014

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
The NIA actually publishes statistics on these things. For Americans/Canadians/Australians/Britishes in Taiwan, the ratio is about 75% male 25% female. Not all foreigners are teaching English but that's a pretty ridiculous statistic and I guess it tells you a thing.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I know when I went to Korea, the group I traveled with was pretty well split, but it seemed like the guys were more likely to stay for additional years.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
We are always on the lookout for female teachers at David's. Because they're hard to find and some people prefer them.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
I used to be a chef.

When I studied hospitality law in culinary school back in the day, I remember learning that "You break it you buy it" never held up in court.

My boss is talking about these "Mimio pens" we use, these like e-markers to write on the e-board thing and saying if we drop them we have to buy their replacement.

I live in a new country now. Can anyone speak to the legality of "You break it you buy it" in Taiwan? These puppies ain't cheap.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Did you break one already?

poetrywhore posted:

My boss is talking about these "Mimio pens" we use, these like e-markers to write on the e-board thing and saying if we drop them we have to buy their replacement.

I live in a new country now. Can anyone speak to the legality of "You break it you buy it" in Taiwan? These puppies ain't cheap.

Your boss can certainly try or make you sign contracts and other legal mumbo jumbo.

But ultimately at the end of the day, he's the boss and it's his risk to use these fancy mimio pens for his profit. If these pens are so expensive and crucial, he ought to insure them instead of relying on his employees.

Worst case scenario is that you lose your job and your boss will dock your pay check. You can try taking things to court, but the cards are stacked against you even if you are right. Do keep us updated!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

poetrywhore posted:

Are you Taiwanese? If not, doesn't matter, the legal "system" is already leaning against you.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

TetsuoTW posted:

Are you Taiwanese? If not, doesn't matter, the legal "system" is already leaning against you.

A coworker was driving home one rainy night. He was close to his apartment and simply went straight on a green light. A scooter turning left (illegally) hit him. Miraculously, my coworker had just gotten his license the week before so was driving completely legally in terms of both documentation and maneuvers. At the scene, they 1) demanded money and 2) moved their scooter a few meters from where it landed. Police came, they sketched out the scene, and took photos. The passenger of the offending scooter actually stated that he was driving, and the girl who was actually driving stated that she was the passenger. Over the next few days, coworker would receive some calls (translated through the head CT) saying that he should pay up, something to the tune of 10,000NT as that would "make it right." The guy correctly deduces that this is all a load of poo poo. He says no, his heart wants to go to court but of course he knows this will never work since his legal knowledge and Chinese are effectively zilch. He has some more choice words with scooter duo through head CT. A meeting is arranged at work; coworker, head NST, head CT, branch manager, and scooter duo are all there. The head NST does nothing - his Chinese is bad too and even if he were fluent, he's a total walkover. The branch manager and head CT are laughing and joking with the other scooter riders in Chinese. Lots of conversation back and forth, and the head CT is only translating about 1/3 of it for my coworker. The scooter duo are not yelling, but very firm and icy. Coworker is suddenly told that 4000 would be a much more appropriate number, that way they don't have to bother the judge with the case who is actually their friend. All the Taiwanese in the room agree. HNST just sits there. My coworker is being given the stinkeye by four people. Eventually he decides to pay them that amount and be done.

Poor guy walked out of the meeting looking like he got assraped by a ghost.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
I'm not Taiwanese. I haven't broken one but it's something he mentioned and it really rubbed me the wrong way, so I figured better to ask around in advance.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

poetrywhore posted:

I'm not Taiwanese. I haven't broken one but it's something he mentioned and it really rubbed me the wrong way, so I figured better to ask around in advance.

If it happens, just refuse to pay and if he docks your pay, file a suit with the labor bureau. They have an office which works with foreigners to resolve cases like this.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Not to sound like a dick, but just don't break one of those pens. It will be easier for everyone involved.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

USDA Choice posted:

Poor guy walked out of the meeting looking like he got assraped by a ghost.

Your coworker is a pussy and deserves to be raped by ghosts.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
http://www.laf.org.tw/ ?

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Bloodnose posted:

Your coworker is a pussy and deserves to be raped by ghosts.

Eh, not really. Though he ended up losing out on ~$7000 ($4000 paid out + $3000 in damage he actually should have been compensated for) and the outcome cannot be described as just, fair, or anything like that it was likely still preferable to playing hardball and getting his moral victory. The amount of bullshit and lost time he would have had to endure would have meant giving up a lot of classes in income, and in just 11-12 hours he could earn the same amount. It's not cowardice to recognize when one option is more expedient, even if it leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

USDA Choice posted:

Eh, not really. Though he ended up losing out on ~$7000 ($4000 paid out + $3000 in damage he actually should have been compensated for) and the outcome cannot be described as just, fair, or anything like that it was likely still preferable to playing hardball and getting his moral victory. The amount of bullshit and lost time he would have had to endure would have meant giving up a lot of classes in income, and in just 11-12 hours he could earn the same amount. It's not cowardice to recognize when one option is more expedient, even if it leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Nah man, 1) he let them move the scooter and didn't take any pictures himself. That's stupid
2) The police have English speaking officers in Taipei and a phone line to them, so when the cop came he could have asked for help and they would have set him up with something.
3) The court system wouldn't actually have taken up a huge amount of his time (this Taiwan, come on!) and just the threat of having to go to court would have gotten those guys to settle. There's no way they actually knew the judge. I mean come on...

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
There's no way to know if your coworker's story is even completely factual. Maybe the people I know are just assholes but rarely if ever have I heard someone admit: "oh yeah, that accident was all my fault!" It's usually always the other guy who ran a red light or cut someone off or whatever. Regardless, even if your coworker was completely blameless and right, I don't know why anyone would expect the staff of his school to have any real responsibility to help him. Your employer isn't your legal guardian who needs to help you out in matters completely unrelated to work. If he didn't have any Taiwanese friends who could help him out and actually be on his side, as others have pointed out, there are other options for support.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Yeah there is no way that case was actually going to court. If true. At all.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!
ITT: Guy tells story to illustrate the universally accepted "the odds are stacked against you" situation, whole thread turns on him to call his friend a stupid coward.

BottledBacon fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jul 31, 2014

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

BottledBacon posted:

ITT: Guy tells story to illustrate the universally excepted "the odds are stacked against you" situation, whole thread turns on him to call his friend a stupid coward.

The system is stacked against you, so keep your head on a swivel, take pictures when necessary, and be a savvy foreigner, rather than an obstinate "I KNOW MY RIGHTS" dickhole. What the guy should have done is as soon as the other dude hit him with an illegal traffic move is lie down in the street moaning until the cops come. Chances are the guy will literally shower you with money rather than let the cops roll up on him standing over the body of a possibly injured foreign national.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Also, as much as the system is corrupt here I highly doubt a judge is going to risk his job to help his buddy extort a foreigner out of a couple thousand NT.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

BottledBacon posted:

ITT: Guy tells story to illustrate the universally accepted "the odds are stacked against you" situation, whole thread turns on him to call his friend a stupid coward.
Not the whole thread.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Anyone here get blown up in Kaohsiung?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Moon Slayer posted:

Anyone here get blown up in Kaohsiung?

Saw this news on Facebook. That's terrible. Taiwan's had an unlucky few weeks it seems.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Ghost Month is being brutal this year.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The hao xiongdi are apparently displeased.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!
It's interesting to see the British news networks/websites all get the gender of the Mayor wrong because they have no reference to tell a female and male Chinese name apart. Lots or "Mr. Chen" assumptions up in there.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
So I've just applied to HESS Taiwan, with Tainan and Taichung as my preferred cities (and "flexible" as third choice). Tell me how I've made the best or worst mistake of my life.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Do a year at Hess, leave in disgust, get a better job, fun times all round. Tainan sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

YF19pilot posted:

So I've just applied to HESS Taiwan, with Tainan and Taichung as my preferred cities (and "flexible" as third choice). Tell me how I've made the best or worst mistake of my life.

They are a good introduction to Taiwan, and you could do worse. I never worked for HESS myself, but as I understand it:

Pros
- They provide you with some rudimentary training, and the teaching system is setup to be fairly idiot proof. My first job was pretty much, "Here. Teach this." Then they sent me into a classroom with no co-teacher, with predictable results.
- During said training they encourage all the new recruits to mingle, and get to know each other. So you won't feel like your alone.
- They'll help you get settled wherever you end up with an apartment and all that

Cons
- Lower pay than most other jobs, and the hours can be weird
- By, "helping you find an apartment," I mean they will show you like maybe 3 places and demand you choose one because they have other poo poo to do. There is a good chance you won't want to live in any of them. This is not limited to HESS by the way and many of the other schools do the same poo poo.
- HESS people always seem to only hang out with other HESS people. I think it's mostly because of how they encourage trainees to bond when they first arrive, but for my friends and I it was always kind of creepy how they had their own little private brotherhood thing going on.

So basically go ahead and work for them for the year long contract and see how you feel about teaching/life in Taiwan. If you choose to stay another year you'll be in a good position to find a better paying job, and a better apartment. Also don't forget to try and meet people outside of work.

Oh, and Tainan/Taichung are both nice places to live. Neither city has subway/light rail options (having a scooter is a MUST), but they have the benefit of being much cheaper to live in than Taipei. Taichung is more metropolitan than Tainan, but Tainan has the benefit of being less of a concrete jungle.