Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Littlefinger posted:

Remember how 4e rules explicitly encouraged players to reflavor their powers and add superficial details unique to their characters and campaigns?
Remember how anything 4e did must be buried forever and never mentioned again?

http://blog.gallegosart.com/2014/07/magic-missile.html

(Yeah, it's probably overthinking it. Still, that's oddly specific.)

i always liked the Baldur's Gate magic missile and it's never been replaced by any other.

edit:

On a totally separate note I had an idea with a colleague yesterday about how to solve "short rest" issues as far as allowing it to take time but not worrying about engaging in more combat before some inane 1hr mark.

Roll short rests into the combat phases.

Combat begins with Initiative, proceeds to round based combat, then resolves with searching the bodies and "short rest" i.e. time spent healing, recharging abilities, etc. Only once those things are done is "combat over"

If you *have* to attach a "time spent" metric to it then equate hit dice to a certain amount of time passed. i.e. 1 HD = 1 minute of rest. So whoever spends the most HD during combat resolution determines how long the rest is.

And attaching a time metric to something, on its own, isn't a bad idea. As long as time is a potentially important 'minigame' of resource management. If it's there simply for the sake of whatever then it's dumb.

treeboy fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

treeboy posted:

i always liked the Baldur's Gate magic missile and it's never been replaced by any other.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

LFK posted:

I don't hate on the Essentials classes that much, I think 4e definitely had room to step outside AEDU and I like the retro-Power Attack idea.

But, really, if any class is going to get boiled down to "here's your thing, add more dice for bigger boom" it would be the Evoker.

Firebolt at-will. 3x/encounter either upgrade the damage or upgrade the burst. 3x/day SUPER upgrade the damage and burst. Call it the Pyromancer. Done.
I also like Essentials classes, but as a supplement, not a replacement. I think it's cool to have easier or differently structured classes.

Also, you're literally talking about the Elementalist.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I think Essentials would have been better received as a whole if A). it hadn't been confusingly billed as a "new core book" or whatever, instead presented as something akin to Unearthed Arcana, and B). if it wasn't blatantly, blatantly obvious that the design philosophy for Essentials was "strip Martial classes down to the bone, add some extra bits to the PHB Wizard and call it a day." Seriously, how many "Essentials Wizards" did they make that were nothing but a couple of minor tweaks to the base Wizard that did nothing more than expand the pool of Wizard options ad nauseam?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If they'd released Essentials before the PHBs, 4e as a whole would have been much better received.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I actually kind of doubt that, I think the stuff in the PHBs would have generated the same amount of sturm und drang among the grog set whether it came first or later. People would still be crying "dissociated mechanics" over Come and Get It, Warlord healing would still break peoples' brains, martial daily powers would still be couched as dumb WoW sword magic, etc.

Like, the fundamental problem with Essentials was that it was an attempt at backpedaling and pandering to the crowd that disliked 4E. There's nothing wrong with trying to broaden a product's appeal in and of itself but when the people you're trying to reach out to are the sorts of crazy people who, for example, think burning their 4E books is a valuable symbolic act then what you should be doing, in SA parlance, is severing.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kai Tave posted:

I actually kind of doubt that, I think the stuff in the PHBs would have generated the same amount of sturm und drang among the grog set whether it came first or later. People would still be crying "dissociated mechanics" over Come and Get It, Warlord healing would still break peoples' brains, martial daily powers would still be couched as dumb WoW sword magic, etc.
This was the same edition that led grogs to suddenly declare that gnomes and bards were fundamental lynchpins of the entire D&D experience, and that their absence from PHB1 was proof that this game was literally making GBS threads on Gygax's corpse and not really D&D.

Seriously. Gnomes.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ritorix posted:

Oddly specific, and I can't think of them pictured that way with dart tips anywhere.

Funny thing is, when I hear 'magic missile' I think Order of the Stick's dotted-line-with-glowing-ball version, which I kind of like.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

FMguru posted:

This was the same edition that led grogs to suddenly declare that gnomes and bards were fundamental lynchpins of the entire D&D experience, and that their absence from PHB1 was proof that this game was literally making GBS threads on Gygax's corpse and not really D&D.

Seriously. Gnomes.

And then when gnomes and bards showed up in PHB2, that was "not core" and therefore didn't count.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yeah the bullshit arguments and sudden importance of gnomes were symptoms of grog alienation. We'll never know how things could have been different if they'd been eased-in with essentials' 3e-alikes in a $20 trade paperback, but I suspect it would have been a much warmer reception.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

treeboy posted:

edit:

On a totally separate note I had an idea with a colleague yesterday about how to solve "short rest" issues as far as allowing it to take time but not worrying about engaging in more combat before some inane 1hr mark.

Roll short rests into the combat phases.

Combat begins with Initiative, proceeds to round based combat, then resolves with searching the bodies and "short rest" i.e. time spent healing, recharging abilities, etc. Only once those things are done is "combat over"

If you *have* to attach a "time spent" metric to it then equate hit dice to a certain amount of time passed. i.e. 1 HD = 1 minute of rest. So whoever spends the most HD during combat resolution determines how long the rest is.

And attaching a time metric to something, on its own, isn't a bad idea. As long as time is a potentially important 'minigame' of resource management. If it's there simply for the sake of whatever then it's dumb.

They have said they are "fixing" this (by allowing you 10 mins of activity or combat per short rest)

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Nevermind that playable gnomes were in MM1 and warlord easily reskinned into bard.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Cant we just all agree that gnomes are by far and away the coolest race? Gnomes rule. Leaving them out was an abomination.

Gnomes are the best.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

Cant we just all agree that gnomes are by far and away the coolest race? Gnomes rule. Leaving them out was an abomination.

Gnomes are the best.
My first 4e campaign a lady in the group was all "can I re-skin my Gnome as a Moogle?!" and my first reaction was "ewww, Weeaboo poo poo, no, gross" then I pulled the stick out of my rear end, said "sure" and it was awesome, she was super invested in her character, always describing how she'd be tugging on her pom pom when she was worried and stuff like that.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

LFK posted:

My first 4e campaign a lady in the group was all "can I re-skin my Gnome as a Moogle?!" and my first reaction was "ewww, Weeaboo poo poo, no, gross" then I pulled the stick out of my rear end, said "sure" and it was awesome, she was super invested in her character, always describing how she'd be tugging on her pom pom when she was worried and stuff like that.

That's a great story.

Speaking of reskinning: I haven't been keeping up on the previews of the post-starter-set stuff -- how plausible is reskinning a 5e wizard of some kind as a fighting man?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Reskinning all future races to FFT races, tia for idea.

(I can finally play a kickass Bangaa.)

^
Well not very well unless the fighting man is a ranged fighting man, and then what would you do for utility spells, if you want to include all wizard class features/spells/characteristics.

Or you could go Muscle wizard, replace Int with Str.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 1, 2014

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

LFK posted:

That's cool and you're cool.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

Gnomes are the best.

Yes they are. My Gnomes all wear power armour though. Warforged reskinned.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Littlefinger posted:

I guess everyone who likes 5e should try SBBQ instead. :v:

drat right! I'll have full preview material ready very soon, like this week. Until then, have Ferrinus' latest.

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

Jimbozig posted:

drat right! I'll have full preview material ready very soon, like this week. Until then, have Ferrinus' latest.

:shepspends:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

I am pretty excited about it, because I've been tempted to run something 4e for a while, but every time I think about how fun it would be to run Zeitgeist, I think about all the rest of the stuff in 4e.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Jimbozig posted:

Anyone who doesn't replace random bonuses with Advantage/Disadvantage is doing themselves a disservice.

Are you sticking with roll-to-hit or going with roll-for-severity?

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

Gnomes are the best.

4e gnomes? The cool former slaves of the evil fey, forever wandering and hiding? Yeah, they are pretty cool.

The bland shaven dwarves with uncommonly large noses of previous editions? Uh, they don't do it for me.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

homullus posted:

I am pretty excited about it, because I've been tempted to run something 4e for a while, but every time I think about how fun it would be to run Zeitgeist, I think about all the rest of the stuff in 4e.
I'm running it now. Inherent bonuses help a lot to cut through the bullshit. But there's also very fast leveling, so feats come up a lot, too.

Totally worth it, though. It's awesome.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

Nice picture! On the other hand mind if I double check why someone in the red and yellow area has disadvantage to hit yellow?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Should the green zone be extended further to the right or something?

Also I do really like the art.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Jimbozig posted:

This art is cool. Where can I read more about this project? "Shut up and wait for the preview mats" is a valid answer.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
For people who have run the starter adventure, generally how far have players been getting per session? is it roughly timed out for one session per Part? so ~4 sessions?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Sade posted:

This art is cool. Where can I read more about this project? "Shut up and wait for the preview mats" is a valid answer.

If you have archives you can read the old thread about it here. Otherwise, this is the pdf for the beta version from that thread's OP. I've played quite a few games and shared feedback quite a few times, it's a really solid project and I'm incredibly excited for the upcoming kickstarter.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
And now for my personal favorite, more wild mage time.

Tides of Chaos! :allears:

We've seen this before, final version of the wild magic table. At 14 you get to roll twice and take whichever.

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

ritorix posted:

And now for my personal favorite, more wild mage time.

Tides of Chaos! :allears:

We've seen this before, final version of the wild magic table. At 14 you get to roll twice and take whichever.

...sorcery points?

Also, "1d6 flumphs." Best outcome, or bestest outcome?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
There's nothing more boring than canned inanity. "Oh, it's the feather beard. Again. Ho, hum."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Yeah that list should be like a thousand times longer.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Woo! I've got a fish on my head, I'm just the wackiest!!!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Daetrin posted:

...sorcery points?

Also, "1d6 flumphs." Best outcome, or bestest outcome?

Should be modrons for cuteness and irony.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Honestly, the spell list is so huge and elaborate that the best way to do wild magic is just, like "roll to pick a random spell, it casts itself at a random target in sight". If you're feeling saucy you could also roll some dice to choose what level spell slot fuels it, if the surge of power additionally revitalizes or burns you, etc.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

PeterWeller posted:

Should be modrons for cuteness and irony.

They pop out of thin air and go "Oh, a wise guy, huh?" Then they club the wild mage with heavy sticks, yelling stuff like "the rules are rules for a reason, rear end in a top hat!"

LFK
Jan 5, 2013
Spell Bombardment sounds cool until you realize you're amping 40d6 up to 41d6. It's not bad, but as a capstone feature... eh.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Ferrinus posted:

Honestly, the spell list is so huge and elaborate that the best way to do wild magic is just, like "roll to pick a random spell, it casts itself at a random target in sight". If you're feeling saucy you could also roll some dice to choose what level spell slot fuels it, if the surge of power additionally revitalizes or burns you, etc.

Vancian Roulette

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

There's nothing more boring than canned inanity. "Oh, it's the feather beard. Again. Ho, hum."

gently caress, when they previewed that table I just felt like it was the worst possible aspects of the design of every past edition rolled into one giant d%. Lolrandom monkeycheese wackiness, check. Randomly screwing the party, check. One player randomly getting massive buffs or penalties, check. DM-fiat-dependent options, check. Randomly adding monsters to the battlefield under the DM's control, making encounters next to impossible to balance, check. Mixtures of virtually meaningless flavour not necessarily applicable to all characters (dragonborn don't have hair, nor do warforged...) and very impactful mechanics, check. And it has a 1/20 chance to happen EVERY TIME YOU CAST A loving SPELL.

And some of the capstone features are just SO lame. Compare the dragonsorc one (spend some points to charm or frighten everything in range) to the wildsorc one (maybe deal a maximum of 12 extra damage when you cast a spell), it's like... balance, what's balance? Maybe if the wildsorc one did proper exploding dice, it would work... Reroll all max results, if you roll more than *proportion (double, half, who knows)* more dice than the power originally rolled, take some backlash damage, for instance.

At least they fixed the typos in the numbering on the wild bullshit table.

I mean, you don't have to play it, but if someone turned up at the same table as me with that character at an organised play event I'd probably just turn tail and walk away. It's pretty much the antithesis of what I want out of a game of D&D.

4e's wildsorc was a little too pale and wan on its wildness, but sometimes it was good fun. They've got a couple of things pretty right here - exploding dice, random buffs/penalties - but it goes WAAAAY the hel too far the other way.

Dragonsorc looks fine, but the whole para about what happens to your clothes when you manifest wings is just... too much detail to bother with.

E: also, did you guys miss that one of the options IS summoning a modron?

I hope that Flumphs and Modrons are in the PHB somewhere, or that table's going to be really loving irksome until the monster manual comes out...