Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

congragood? or congragreat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

LaTex Fetish posted:

LSV just ran to the nearest wall and punched it.

Ith
May 16, 2004
not azn
Cuneo next-leveled Stark by playing bad cards. (Congregate)

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

LaTex Fetish posted:

The problem with making a pun like that, is if you get no response, you're just a dolt.

ProTip: If someone says something like that on camera to you, just go with it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Speaking of SDCC, when are those Planeswalkers going online at Hasbro? I need to buy like 30 of those sets.

Don't they have a limit on how many you can buy online?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

I still find Inkwell Leviathan to be the weirdest Big Blue creature just because it basically has unblockable, hexproof, and trample because reasons. :shrug:

The art on it always confuses me. It looks more like a gundam than a sea-serpent shape. Instead of it having a long body behind waves, I see the head as the full form, and its facial fins as wings/limbs. The wave foam to its sides blend in to the sky...

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Ith posted:

Cuneo next-leveled Stark by playing bad cards. (Congregate)

In a format defined by playing seventy million 1/1s, Congregate is a legit sideboard card because it's instant speed and generates patently ridiculous amounts of life (as demonstrated). :colbert:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Oh god these interviews. Normal person talking at a normal volume HOLY poo poo MARK ROSEWATER IS YELLING AT ME :catstare:

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Angry Grimace posted:

I was exaggerating, but I definitely will buy as many as I can. Just have no idea when that goes live.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

NUTS CONFIRMED IN KHANS

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Oh god these interviews. Normal person talking at a normal volume HOLY poo poo MARK ROSEWATER IS YELLING AT ME :catstare:

Am I insane or does Rosewater sound like Master Shake.

Ha, Hagon: "Don't just Google 'Dickman'"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I was exaggerating, but I definitely will buy as many as I can. Just have no idea when that goes live.

It is a mystery. It just goes up whenever they feel like doing it.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Angry Grimace posted:

One per address. So however many addresses you can get typed in before they sell out...which is 5 minutes after they magically appear online.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Am I insane or does Rosewater sound like Master Shake.

Ha, Hagon: "Don't just Google 'Dickman'"
You are insane because Shake has a better voice.
MAN I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE EDEL GET BLOWN THE gently caress OUT
E: OH MAN RIGHT AFTER I SAY THAT HE GETS BLOWN OUT

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
:laffo: Nice feature match, Wizards

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

What a top deck O_O

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Yo, dog, I heard you like Constricting Slivers...

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
So this is what the morph thingies look like from the SDCC video.

Plains:

Island:

Swamp:

Forest:

I Haven't seen a mountain art yet.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Bugsy posted:

Plains:

Island:

I would kill to have these as full art lands.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Bugsy posted:

Plains:

Swamp:

:eyepop:

can't wait to fill out my decks with this art

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Bugsy posted:

Island:

:stwoon: Want.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
And here is the mountain.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Tarkir is really, really pretty. The lands have this height and breadth that remind me of Zendikar's.

Full art please, Wizards. :(

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Wow those lands are gorgeous.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

My asinine prediction for Theros block was "White Fauna Shaman/Volrath's Stronghold for Enchantments." My asinine prediction for Tarkir block is "Tarkir is Zendikar in the Past." Thank you for reading.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bugsy posted:

Plains:

Island:

Forest:

I find Morph creatures being represented as flaming balls of mystery to be awesome.

Also :swoon: this art.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

ungulateman posted:

Tarkir is really, really pretty. The lands have this height and breadth that remind me of Zendikar's.

Full art please, Wizards. :(
fetchland reprint confirmed, thanks insider

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

neetengie posted:

fetchland reprint confirmed, thanks insider

:tinfoil:

(Trust me when I say I'm the furthest thing from a Wizards employee.)

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Some more arts:

Looks like part of a hedron on his glaive/spear/axe.

The Abzan (WBG) live primarily in the desert. They have picked the landscape clean of dragon carcases and heavily include dragon scales in their armor. Their racial makeup is primarily humans, orcs and canid humanoids called "Einoch" (sp?)

Their mechanic is about taking advantage of the long-game.

The Jeskai (URW) are a clan of martial artists, mystics and monks. Those weird looking tall-noodly people are djinn and efreet which feature prominently in this clan. Also humans, orcs and aven. They live primarily in remote monestaries and lakes and other out of the way places of the plane.
They believe in the "delicate touch" and the use of subtlety.

Their mechanic is making your opponent confused.

The Sultai (BGU) are the decadent and ruthless elite of Tarkir. They include nagas and rakshasas. "If you've ever wanted a card that's for both your cat deck and your demon deck" ~Doug Beyer. They lurk in their palaces built in the steamy jungles. They are prominent necromancers. They use zombies for everything, from soldiers to furniture. They made dark deals with the rakshasa for power. Sidisi, the Khan, is a female who considers herself a queen and wishes to unite all of Tarkir under one rule. Hers, naturally.

Their mechanic is sneaky.

The Mardu (Rwb) are fearsome warriors who live for battle. They include humans, orcs and goblins. They claim domain of the rocky wastelands of Tarkir, but frequently raid the territory of other clans. They have some of the best archers of all of Tarkir among their ranks and employ lightning magic combined with archery for devastating results.
They don't care about establishing footholds in the territory they invade. They invade, take their stuff, and leave.
Zurgo has a personal vendetta with Sarkhan Vol, who was once a Mardu.

Their mechanic is about the aggressive game.

The Temur (GUR) are rugged survivors who live in the icy wilderness of Tarkir. They are all about self-sufficiency and make use of every asset they can including making homes out of dragon bones. They fight like animals.

They're all about the big, beefy midgame plan.

The morphs are based on ancient draconic magic that has been co-opted by the clans for ambushes on their rivals and the like.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Why are m15 and khans so great when everything else has been so mediocre? Is it always like this when a new set is announced?

Compared to Innistrad through Journey to Nyx, this set seems kind of amazing.

EDIT: Innistrad came before M13.

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 1, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

DJINN, gently caress YEAH.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Gensuki posted:

Why are m15 and khans so great when everything else has been so mediocre? Is it always like this when a new set is announced?

Compared to M13 through Journey to Nyx, this set seems kind of amazing.

Mirrodin came before Kamigawa.

Ravnica came after Kamigawa.

Not every set can be great and there's nothing wrong with a mediocre set every now and again because it makes the better sets seem even better.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Gensuki posted:

Compared to M13 through Journey to Nyx, this set seems kind of amazing.

Everything always seems amazing when a new set is announced, especially before we see more than a handful of cards. That said, this set seems really fuckin' sweet so far.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

quote:

Their mechanic is about taking advantage of the long-game.
Their mechanic is making your opponent confused.
Their mechanic is sneaky.
Their mechanic is about the aggressive game.
They're all about the big, beefy midgame plan.

I like how most of them are pretty straight forward and then "Confuse your opponents". These mechanics better be as amazingly weird as they sound here.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Gensuki posted:

Compared to Innistrad through Journey to Nyx, this set seems kind of amazing.

EDIT: Innistrad came before M13.
RTR was mediocre while Theros was pure poo poo.

pretty hyped for Azban being nomads.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I knew I wasn't crazy when my memory told me that the snake lady was in fact a lady.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

neetengie posted:

RTR was mediocre while Theros was pure poo poo.

Disagree on Theros; It's probably the worst block in a long time but pure poo poo is definitely an exaggeration.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Gensuki posted:

Is it always like this when a new set is announced?

Kinda, yeah. Theros seemed really cool at this stage of the previews, when we had seen no actual cards or mechanics other than Scry and were just getting a few broad strokes about what the plane would be like. Return to Ravnica was exciting as soon as it was announced based pretty much entirely on the word "Ravnica".

Elyv posted:

Disagree on Theros; It's probably the worst block in a long time but pure poo poo is definitely an exaggeration.

Theros block as a whole was quite bad, but not pure poo poo. But Born of the Gods was pure poo poo.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Constellation should have been a mechanic in the entire block. As it stands, Theros block draft has almost no enchantment focus unless you first-pick an Eidolon of Blossoms / pick every Grim Guardian you get passed.

Triple JOU is remarkably good as far as small set formats go, though, because Constellation is actually a cohesive, interesting mechanic. Unlike Tribute or Inspired.

God, Born of the Gods was terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ungulateman posted:

God, Born of the Gods was terrible.

The best card in the set was a manadork. End scene.

• Locked thread