Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

mcmagic posted:

The best card in the set was a manadork. End scene.

Brimaz doesn't tap for mana???

(Neither does Kragma Butcher, if we're discounting mythics and rares.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

ungulateman posted:

(Neither does Kragma Butcher, if we're discounting mythics.)

you can usually judge a set well based on how many playables it provides outside of standard.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ungulateman posted:

(Neither does Kragma Butcher, if we're discounting mythics and rares.)

Courser of Kurphix.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Gensuki posted:

Why are m15 and khans so great when everything else has been so mediocre? Is it always like this when a new set is announced?

Compared to Innistrad through Journey to Nyx, this set seems kind of amazing.

EDIT: Innistrad came before M13.

Innistrad was amazing until the third set.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

The best card in the set was a manadork. End scene.

I assume you're talking about Courser, but I personally would give it to Brimaz.

LaTex Fetish posted:

you can usually judge a set well based on how many playables it provides outside of standard.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but Brimaz is definetely played outside of standard.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I assume you're talking about Courser, but I personally would give it to Brimaz.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but Brimaz is definetely played outside of standard.

Spirit of the Labyrinth has been showing up in Death and Taxes too. Born of the Gods wasn't great for drafting (it was fun doing it twice, got tiring after that), but drat, some of its cards are amazing.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I love how they emphasized the serpent side of the naga here so much, it is hard to tell if Khan Sidisi is male or female.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Pharohman777 posted:

I love how they emphasized the serpent side of the naga here so much, it is hard to tell if Khan Sidisi is male or female.

I was telling people she was a female because that was what I recalled from the panel, but all of the blogs said it was a dude. Then again, all the blogs reported that Rosewater said there would likely be a three-color planeswalker in Khans, despite the fact that he totally did not say that and said "its something we'd like to do again, but I'm not saying soon."

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

I know.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
v:shobon:v I liked JBT draft more than any draft format since ISD-ISD-ISD or M13. Tribute was a bad mechanic but it didn't ruin anything. Inspired is uninspired, and not a build-around-me mechanic at all, but the individual cards with Inspired are fine and most of them are fun to play in draft. Constellation would probably be oppressively broken if it was in all three sets. Heroic and Bestow are home-runs. I just really like how balanced the full-block draft feels, and how many different decks you can realistically draft. It doesn't feel like there's any completely unbeatable bombs like Pack Rat or super-weak colors like white in M14. And it's just generally packed full of fun cards.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

v:shobon:v I liked JBT draft more than any draft format since ISD-ISD-ISD or M13. Tribute was a bad mechanic but it didn't ruin anything. Inspired is uninspired, and not a build-around-me mechanic at all, but the individual cards with Inspired are fine and most of them are fun to play in draft. Constellation would probably be oppressively broken if it was in all three sets. Heroic and Bestow are home-runs. I just really like how balanced the full-block draft feels, and how many different decks you can realistically draft. It doesn't feel like there's any completely unbeatable bombs like Pack Rat or super-weak colors like white in M14. And it's just generally packed full of fun cards.

I can definitely agree with all of this, but I got to say, I do think Theros-Born-Journey was the better order as Theros felt like it properly lead into the other sets.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

LaTex Fetish posted:

Doesn't Courser of Kruphix see play in modern and Brimaz in Legacy?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Doesn't Courser of Kruphix see play in modern and Brimaz in Legacy?

Brimaz is played a little in both. Its not exactly hitting Snapcaster levels of play, but still.

JBT draft was fine, but would have worked so, so much better as TBJ because of the way stuff was set up - the Gods were all multicolored, so it sucked to commit to them early, and Journey was missing a lot of the common bestow creatures you could really built around for stuff like constellation.

E: Dude on stream draws a Hornet's Nest after opponent casts a Juggernaut. :getin:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 1, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
Zac Hill's head is so drat shiny. Man he must polish it every day.

deftest
May 7, 2011
What's the schedule like for the pro tour? I'm trying to find when they'll play standard. Wizards website woefully uninformative

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
They're on a lunch break so it should be soon-ish. 3 rounds draft and 5 rounds Standard on Friday and Saturday starting at noon Eastern.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

deftest posted:

What's the schedule like for the pro tour? I'm trying to find when they'll play standard. Wizards website woefully uninformative

According to Riki Hayashi, who may or may not be judging this weekend, it starts at 2:35 PM local time.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

I was telling people she was a female because that was what I recalled from the panel, but all of the blogs said it was a dude. Then again, all the blogs reported that Rosewater said there would likely be a three-color planeswalker in Khans, despite the fact that he totally did not say that and said "its something we'd like to do again, but I'm not saying soon."

Sarkhan Vol is the Jund planeswalker, and is about as 3 color as Ajani at this point, possibly more if you consider he isn't as watered down with his main color?

If he gets a card, I would not be surprised if it was 3 color, either jund in defiance of Mardu, or Mardu in homage to his people.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

pretty interested to see how that one deck with 3 (or was it 2?) Scrapyard Mongrels, Aeronaut Tinkerer, Ornithopter and Military Intelligence will do.

Ornithopter is a bad card that bad drafters always end up picking up really early and actually play with it for some reason. But the logic here is that it triggers Military Intelligence regardless if it is doing damage, helps out Scrapyard, Tinkerer, and could chump if all else fails.

Definitely a fringe card and not something I expected to see at the Pro Tour.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Gensuki posted:

Sarkhan Vol is the Jund planeswalker, and is about as 3 color as Ajani at this point, possibly more if you consider he isn't as watered down with his main color?

If he gets a card, I would not be surprised if it was 3 color, either jund in defiance of Mardu, or Mardu in homage to his people.

I guess its possible that Maro was being intentionally misleading, but you can see his answer in the video.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Hey! Let's talk about who made the Hall of Fa...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

LaTex Fetish posted:

pretty interested to see how that one deck with 3 (or was it 2?) Scrapyard Mongrels, Aeronaut Tinkerer, Ornithopter and Military Intelligence will do.

Ornithopter is a bad card that bad drafters always end up picking up really early and actually play with it for some reason. But the logic here is that it triggers Military Intelligence regardless if it is doing damage, helps out Scrapyard, Tinkerer, and could chump if all else fails.

Definitely a fringe card and not something I expected to see at the Pro Tour.

It's a cheap (free mana wise, one card, no color commitment... since it's free) creature with evasion that can block 1/1s if you don't have anything else for it to do.

Give it a sword, make it a 5/5, convoke with it, activate metal craft if you want. Ornithopter can DO a lot, so it can find its way into a lot of combo decks.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Man I hope all Jeskai rares are just various forms of Knowledge Pool, Timesifter, and Eye of the Storm. This is good decision because everybody loves those cards when they are played.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

deftest posted:

For all Pro Tours it's basically, 3 rounds limited and 5 rounds whatever format for that PT on Days 1 and 2. You need 12 points to advance to Day 2. Then cut to Top 8 for Day 3.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Gensuki posted:

It's a cheap (free mana wise, one card, no color commitment... since it's free) creature with evasion that can block 1/1s if you don't have anything else for it to do.

Give it a sword, make it a 5/5, convoke with it, activate metal craft if you want. Ornithopter can DO a lot, so it can find its way into a lot of combo decks.

Do you think Ornithopter is better than a Bronze Sable in this situation?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Tarkir still confirmed for owns.

Interesting that "plains" are going to be desert, at least on one of the arts. I wonder if there will also be steppe-ish plains. I know that's what immediately leapt to my mind when we learned we were getting Central/Eastern Asia Plane.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Gensuki posted:

Back in the ancient past of magic, before the 4 card rule, and when decks were 40 cards minimum, it wasn't odd to see people playing a deck that was literally ornithopters, giant growths and brain geysers, with a bunch of land.

It's still a strong card, it's seen a lot of play when the right stuff to pair it with has been around, and there's just about enough for it right now.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

LaTex Fetish posted:

Do you think Ornithopter is better than a Bronze Sable in this situation?

The problem is that you're talking about limited and he's talking about constructed.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Elyv posted:

The problem is that you're talking about limited and he's talking about constructed.

Oh.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Boettcher turns up on stream looking like a dirty slob and the entire chat starts ripping into him. There might almost be hope for us.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Boettcher turns up on stream looking like a dirty slob and the entire chat starts ripping into him. There might almost be hope for us.

and Marshall is so professional in comparison. And, I dare say, a better player, I think.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Sleep of Bronze posted:

He's a great player but every time I see him on camera I shake my head. Its one thing to like have a less than stylish haircut and nothing dressy on but he goes out of his way to sit with the worst possible posture and pulls his hood up so you know for sure how much effort he is putting into looking like poo poo.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

JerryLee posted:

Tarkir still confirmed for owns.

Interesting that "plains" are going to be desert, at least on one of the arts. I wonder if there will also be steppe-ish plains. I know that's what immediately leapt to my mind when we learned we were getting Central/Eastern Asia Plane.

I'd be surprised if every Plains was Abzan-themed. I'm expecting there to be at least one basic land art for every wedge faction, like how in Shards there was a Naya jungle Plains and a Bant idyllic hillside Plains and then Esper had those big sand dunes under their weird starry sky.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry, I use "sword" to refer to the mirrodin swords.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

Courser of Kurphix.

Courser isn't a mana dork, though? :confused: It also sees a ton of play in other formats, too and is arguably the best creature in Standard.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

bhsman posted:

Courser isn't a mana dork, though? :confused: It also sees a ton of play in other formats, too and is arguably the best creature in Standard.

Mana dork being used as "something that ramps you" which it does if we then also define "ramp" as "increasing the odds you make a land drop every turn".

Borderlands Ranger is my favorite mana dork.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Attorney at Funk posted:

I'd be surprised if every Plains was Abzan-themed. I'm expecting there to be at least one basic land art for every wedge faction, like how in Shards there was a Naya jungle Plains and a Bant idyllic hillside Plains and then Esper had those big sand dunes under their weird starry sky.

I'm too lazy to look this up right now, but I'm pretty sure Shards did a 2/1/1 split where the shard with 2 basics was the one whose base color that was.

So there were 2 Bant Plains, 2 Esper Islands, 2 Grixis Swamps, 2 Jund Mountains, and 2 Naya Forests.

I'd expect that to be matched in Khans, meaning we'd see 2 Abzan Plains, but also 1 Jeskai Plains and 1 Mardu Plains (and then 2 Jeskai Islands, with 1 Sultai and 1 Temur, and so on)

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I've actually won a surprising number of Standard games because my opponent's Courser eventually allowed me to know every single card in their hand.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gensuki posted:

Mana dork being used as "something that ramps you" which it does if we then also define "ramp" as "increasing the odds you make a land drop every turn".

By that logic, Elvish Abberation and Primeval Titan are 'mana dorks'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Gensuki posted:

That isn't a mana dork, either. :ssh: That's more like a pure ramp card than a cheap creature that taps for mana, which is what traditional mana dorks like Llanowar Elves and Birds are.

qbert posted:

I've actually won a surprising number of Standard games because my opponent's Courser eventually allowed me to know every single card in their hand.

In a reactive Bant list, yeah, but I've also won games because Control players saw me draw consecutive Thoughtseizes and decided to just move on to game 3. :c00l:

• Locked thread