Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

mind the walrus posted:

He's not wrong. Brave and the Bold looks a lot like that Fischer Price Marvel series. I get that's kind-of the point, but hey it's not my nor everyone's flavor.

I'm not entirely sure how Silver Age lifted into animation looks like Super Hero Squad's chibis but with big feet, but okay, you're entitled to your opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The important thing is you took your time to passive-aggressively correct me with your "true" interpretation.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Hawkeye 19 aka Barney is the best

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I'm clearly missing the context on that one.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Wade Wilson posted:

Barney's face just cracks me up.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Wade Wilson posted:

Further context: Clint's been deafened and Barney has finally convinced the guy to start asking for help.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Cabbit posted:

Further context: Clint's been deafened and Barney has finally convinced the guy to start asking for help.

Didn't he used to need a hearing aid? Can't remember if it was magiced away or if Heroes Reborn deleted it or something.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Gone since Wanda brought him back to life, I think.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I thought Franklin didn't make him near-deaf because he didn't know that he was.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Just to chime in real quick on the animation thing, I had the same issue with Brave & The Bold but was able to get into it despite that. Same thing with Spectacular Spider-Man. Both of them are worth watching even if you aren't into the animation style.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

BizarroAzrael posted:

Didn't he used to need a hearing aid? Can't remember if it was magiced away or if Heroes Reborn deleted it or something.

Heroes Reborn deleted it; it was mentioned in a two-issue feature in one of the early Avengers issues where Jarvis is answering mail. Basically Franklin Richards brought back the heroes as he remembered them, and so Hawkeye was no longer partially deaf, Tony Stark was no longer a teenager, the Wasp was no longer a hideous bug-abomination, et cetera.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Heroes Reborn deleted it; it was mentioned in a two-issue feature in one of the early Avengers issues where Jarvis is answering mail. Basically Franklin Richards brought back the heroes as he remembered them, and so Hawkeye was no longer partially deaf, Tony Stark was no longer a teenager, the Wasp was no longer a hideous bug-abomination, et cetera.

Franklin is literally Geoff Johns isn't he

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Vanadium posted:

Geoff Johns does not have a pet Galactus. He also hates fun unlike Franklin.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Vanadium posted:

Considering that was the same feature where Buseik essentially went "Oh my GOD no Falcon isn't a mutant that one Sentinel that one time was malfunctioning SHUT UP" I think if anyone was being Johnsian there it was actually Kurt Buseik.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Considering that was the same feature where Buseik essentially went "Oh my GOD no Falcon isn't a mutant that one Sentinel that one time was malfunctioning SHUT UP" I think if anyone was being Johnsian there it was actually Kurt Buseik.

Let's be fair, Kurt had to salvage the shitstorm that was the Crossing and Teen Tony. He took advantage of the story to right the wrongs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I have every bit of sympathy for anyone who got rid of Teen Tony.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Let's be fair, Kurt had to salvage the shitstorm that was the Crossing and Teen Tony. He took advantage of the story to right the wrongs.

Oh, absolutely. There are times when being the Continuity Cop is a good thing. The trick is to know when it matters - like Buseik - and not to spend time fixing stupid poo poo that no one actually cares about - like Slott.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah Kurt Busiek had to come on and unfuck everything they'd done previously.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Kurt Busiek is a really good writer. He along with Grant Morrison, Joe Kelly and maybe in a blue moon Mark Waid are the only ones who should write Superman. He gets him.

Paul Cornell should be on a New Gods book, his Darkseid was rockin as was his Luthor series.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Oh, absolutely. There are times when being the Continuity Cop is a good thing. The trick is to know when it matters - like Buseik - and not to spend time fixing stupid poo poo that no one actually cares about - like Slott.

I think some of it would have been better off going, "So what?" and moving on with their lives, but I won't begrudge him a back up story in an annual saying, "All this stupid out of place stuff is gone now."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hollismason posted:

Yeah Kurt Busiek had to come on and unfuck everything they'd done previously.

The Crossing was a pretty great story that also happened to explain all the continuity gently caress ups. Unlike Slott and his "AN ALTERNATE VERSION DID IT" crap from She-Hulk.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Gatts posted:

Kurt Busiek is a really good writer. He along with Grant Morrison, Joe Kelly and maybe in a blue moon Mark Waid are the only ones who should write Superman. He gets him.

FTFY

For content:

Challenge #1, 1985.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Sure you haven't, Bruce :jerkbag:

edit: Although now that I think about (why do I think about this?) I can totally buy that Bruce has never watched one of "those movies". He has his Rogue Gallery for release, after all.

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 2, 2014

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Dario the Wop posted:

FTFY

For content:

Challenge #1, 1985.

Bruce Wayne: Thank heavens it was sent on Beta. Whoever sent this was clearly on my intelligence level, as we both have successfully predicted that Betamax will win the upcoming technological competition.

There you have it folks. Batman, the Worlds Greatest Detective. But not so much when it comes to adoption of technology. The scene where Batman has to spend thousands getting rid of his Batman HD-DVD drives and replacing them with Blu-Ray drives is pretty grim.

Edit: On second viewing, the cassette being put into the machine is clearly a VHS tape and not a Betamax one. As can be seen here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betamax

The Worlds Greatest Detective ladies and gentlemen.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 2, 2014

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

The Question IRL posted:

Bruce Wayne: Thank heavens it was sent on Beta. Whoever sent this was clearly on my intelligence level, as we both have successfully predicted that Betamax will win the upcoming technological competition.

There you have it folks. Batman, the Worlds Greatest Detective. But not so much when it comes to adoption of technology. The scene where Batman has to spend thousands getting rid of his Batman HD-DVD drives and replacing them with Blu-Ray drives is pretty grim.

What does he do when a criminal sends him a tape on VHS? Does he has to go to his neighbours and borrow their VHS players?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
"Those" movies weren't allowed for mass release on Betamax, Alfred.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Dario the Wop posted:

FTFY

For content:

Challenge #1, 1985.

Little does he know The Riddler has sent one of these to everyone in Gotham but with a different riddle. Now he just has to sit back and wait to see which one The Batman shows up at!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Elfface posted:

Little does he know The Riddler has sent one of these to everyone in Gotham but with a different riddle. Now he just has to sit back and wait to see which one The Batman shows up at!

I swear I've seen something like this in a comic before, though it wasn't the Riddler.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Dario the Wop posted:

FTFY

For content:

Challenge #1, 1985.

So how many times has the Riddler figured out Bruce Wayne is Batman (something that is seriously obvious to anyone with half a brain) only to strangely forget it later?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

So how many times has the Riddler figured out Bruce Wayne is Batman (something that is seriously obvious to anyone with half a brain) only to strangely forget it later?

DC Challenge at least has the excuse of not being in continuity; if you haven't read it, it was a bunch of comics writers playing Exquisite Corpse.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

AnonSpore posted:

I swear I've seen something like this in a comic before, though it wasn't the Riddler.

It's almost the exact method that L uses to determine where in the world Kira is located in Death Note.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hulk Smash! posted:

What does he do when a criminal sends him a tape on VHS? Does he has to go to his neighbours and borrow their VHS players?

"Justice League, come in, this is Batman. Do any of you guys have a VHS player I could borrow?"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

LvK posted:

"Those" movies weren't allowed for mass release on Betamax, Alfred.

Sure they were!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The Crossing was a pretty great story that also happened to explain all the continuity gently caress ups. Unlike Slott and his "AN ALTERNATE VERSION DID IT" crap from She-Hulk.

You mean Avengers a Forever right? Right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

You mean Avengers a Forever right? Right?

Yes. I meant that AF fixed things like the Crossing.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Vanadium posted:

I liked overly serious 90s badass onehanded bearded Aquaman, sue me. :(

(JLA #23)

This was the Aquaman I grew up with. I like him the best.

Bloody Holly posted:

90's aqua man had to keep up with 90's Namor

90's Namor however was an abomination except for the brief period Bob Harras was writing the book.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 2, 2014

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

goatface posted:

I thought Franklin didn't make him near-deaf because he didn't know that he was.

Yeah, Busiek clarified that during his run.

e: Beaten like Clint and Barney when they were kids.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Sweet Sixteen, No. 4

But Dora, I just need you to know that 16 year old girl is really bangable!

Later, Dirinda has gotten over her dating jitters by showing the boys how to do math. They assure her the natural order will be reasserted soon.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Previously in the X-Men arc Curse of the Mutants, book 10 (Smoke and Blood Pt 1): Dracula having been assassinated by conspirators within the vampire sects, it is now time for the bloodsuckers to rule the world. Starting in San Francisco, where a depowered Jubilee is infected and turns. As the undead gain power, and even the X-Men's vaunted Utopia science labs are infested, Doctor Nemesis contacts Emma Frost with a message of dire import...

tl;dr "The Adventures of Doctor Nemesis" needs to be the backup feature for the Rockslide/Anole "X-Cops" series.

Even more previously in X-Men Emperor Vulcan Pt 1: The Shi'Ar Empire, having been taken over by rogue omega-level mutant (and third Summers brother (motherfucking n-dimensional family tree when you add in the Greys and we haven't even gotten to the time-travelling original ones yet)) Gabriel, aka Vulcan, is wracked by civil war. Meanwhile Rachel Grey, temporally-displaced Phoenix host from Earth-811s "Days Of Future Past" dystopia (n+1 dimensional diagram just on her mother's side), focuses on weightier issues...

tl;dr drat. Now *I* want a cheeseburger.

Edit: why not some more.

From the Iceman and Angel one-shot (2011) (click for big):

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
JLI Annual #2

Bats is not pleased with being called to a bbq for no reason, and is just SO DONE with this bullshit.

He can't even

I mostly love the suburban mom looking batmobile :haw:

• Locked thread