Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Prices shown: 4 Hours / 7 Days / 30 Days / 90 Days (price of game/bundle in PS3 store)

$4.99/$7.99/$14.99/$29.99 ($45.96)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Wait you pay 50 bucks for the game, then you pay 10 bucks a month to keep paying said game? Hahahahaha that's loving brilliant. Who the gently caress thought that idea up? That's goddamn genius, I bet you could get sperglords to just empty the gently caress out of their bank accounts to keep their ~stats~ or whatever in whatever gay game.

Goddamn brilliant.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Obama Africanus posted:

Wait you pay 50 bucks for the game, then you pay 10 bucks a month to keep paying said game? Hahahahaha that's loving brilliant. Who the gently caress thought that idea up? That's goddamn genius, I bet you could get sperglords to just empty the gently caress out of their bank accounts to keep their ~stats~ or whatever in whatever gay game.

Goddamn brilliant.

MMORPG.txt

Cept subs are like 15 a month for most of the ones that havent gone F2P yet

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Do you mean pay $50 as in people who already own the game?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

nah

the PSNow prices are for renting the game for that length of time, and it's streamed to your PS4/PS3/Vita/PSTV/Future Sony Bravia TVs.

Shim is talking about MMORPG sub prices. idk why, but he's right.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Games have such brilliant ways of making money. Look at counter strike, you pay $2.50 to open a case with a super small chance of getting anything of value, and even when you sell that thing valve gets a 15% cut. Valve is making money selling you literally nothing.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
wait. counterstrike has a market like tf2 now? holy balls valve is making a killing then

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

ded posted:

wait. counterstrike has a market like tf2 now? holy balls valve is making a killing then

Yeah, but not from CS. Valve barely acknowledges it anymore since they farmed it out to an outside developer (who did a decent job, honestly).

If it ain't Dota then they don't really care.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
hey christoff my new xbl gamertag is Obama Africanus, pls update tia.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I don't keep track of your dudes name changes who are you

Someone make a new thread

poo poo gay as gently caress

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Christoff posted:

that would be a great gaymer tag

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Christoff posted:

I don't keep track of your dudes name changes who are you

Someone make a new thread

How the gently caress you gonna step to me and act like you don't know me.

That poo poo's ice cold, man. It's me, Shim.

:colbert:

I'll be back home on Saturday, if you want- you can close this gay thread then and I'll take it over if handing out motrin and dick gazing is keeping you too busy to edit a post.

;)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I don't keep track I'm sorry!!!

Edited

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Christoff posted:

I don't keep track I'm sorry!!!

Edited

It's okay :) thanks buddy!!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I think you're the one person that has an xbone in GIP and all those CURE names were the same to me in other words an equal amount of Christoff hatin' ;_;

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Welp last night consisted of me assembling my new gaming rig for 3 hours only to have it refuse to even twitch a fan, much less POST. Next 3 hours were spent getting blackout drunk while swearing at the top of my lungs and making sure every cable was seated, the RAM was seated properly and not fried, etc. Finally gave up around 2 and decided to head to NYC today for some time with my brother to decompress.

gently caress computers, man. Going to take some serious willpower when I get back to not pick up a hammer and turn $2k into silicon and metal bits.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

Welp last night consisted of me assembling my new gaming rig for 3 hours only to have it refuse to even twitch a fan, much less POST. Next 3 hours were spent getting blackout drunk while swearing at the top of my lungs and making sure every cable was seated, the RAM was seated properly and not fried, etc. Finally gave up around 2 and decided to head to NYC today for some time with my brother to decompress.

gently caress computers, man. Going to take some serious willpower when I get back to not pick up a hammer and turn $2k into silicon and metal bits.

go insane and buy a gaming laptop.
less loving around with components and portable.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

tuluk posted:

go insane and buy a gaming laptop.
less loving around with components and portable.

Have one, doesn't matter if you spend $kidneys on a gaming laptop, it's still a laptop.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

so what the hell are you trying to build.
multiple video card setup, overclocking, etc?

e: i've got a gaming laptop too. a 2 yr old sager.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The words gaming and laptop are mutually exclusive.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Have a sager 8268-a and it's pretty sweet and powerful. Gaming laptops are a lot different these days. Yeah goons will bitch endlessly and about how you can build this sweet rig for half the cost. But the fact is I'm active duty and that isn't an option. But I can lug it around if I need and plug it into external everything

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

The words gaming and laptop are mutually exclusive.

true. portable desktop is a more accurate term for gaming "laptops".

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

tuluk posted:

so what the hell are you trying to build.
multiple video card setup, overclocking, etc?

e: i've got a gaming laptop too. a 2 yr old sager.

4770k, 780ti, SSD, Corsair closed loop watercooler, etc. What do you think?

Right now I'm just concerned about something being loving fried and having to RMA 8 different parts.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Make sure the motherboard isn't shorting to the case.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
It's not powering at all? Did you not flip the switch on the PSU? Do you have the means to test the PSU?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Try shuffling ram sticks to different slots. No idea why, but a lot of the time this has been a fix for busted PCs Ive 'fixed'

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

JDAMS CURE PASHTUN posted:

Make sure the motherboard isn't shorting to the case.

One of the first things I'm going to do when I get back will be to undo an hour and a half of cable routing and try to bare bones test the mobo and everything outside the case.

gleep gloop posted:

It's not powering at all? Did you not flip the switch on the PSU? Do you have the means to test the PSU?

Mobo lights come on, fancy ~ASUS POWER BUTTON~ lights up along with a couple others. Power switch header is correct, etc. I might be able to throw the PSU into another computer to test it later, too.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Try shuffling ram sticks to different slots. No idea why, but a lot of the time this has been a fix for busted PCs Ive 'fixed'

Was one of the first things I tried, individually cycling sticks through the Asus recommended first position and everything. Nada.

Diarrhea Elemental fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 1, 2014

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

4770k, 780ti, SSD, Corsair closed loop watercooler, etc. What do you think?

Right now I'm just concerned about something being loving fried and having to RMA 8 different parts.

did you make sure your power supply is strong enough/isn't flaky?
seriously, most of the problems I had when I custom-built my gaming systems boiled down to power supply flaking out & AMD lovely drivers.

also consider getting/using diamond paste for the cpu +heatsink for better CPU cooling.
it's expensive & sounds stupid, but it works.

christoff:
yeah sager laptops are pretty good. my 2 yr old sager laptop is a p150em and runs 95% of what I play without issues.
it's just slightly heavy, has an INSANE power brick and is annoying to use on planes. I specced the laptop out to run multiple vm instances for studying/certification purposes, and being able game while travelling for work/vacations.
15.6 HD screen, 16gb ram, 240gb ssd/720gb sata2 drive, nvidia gtx 680m,no cd-drive.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
did you try turning it off and then turning it on again.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

once you've given up:
try bringing it all to a Staples and watch as the techs steal all your components while "fixing" it for you?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

tuluk posted:

did you make sure your power supply is strong enough/isn't flaky?
seriously, most of the problems I had when I custom-built my gaming systems boiled down to power supply flaking out & AMD lovely drivers.

also consider getting/using diamond paste for the cpu +heatsink for better CPU cooling.
it's expensive & sounds stupid, but it works.

It's a Corsair 850 off one of their high end lines, so yeah. Still going to be testing it later though. As for cooling I've got a Corsair H100i sitting on the CPU right now plus I have a tube of Tuniq thermal paste which is supposed to be some hot new poo poo, although I've got it seated right now with the stock poo poo Corsair puts on their waterblocks.

I may have realized after I ordered everything that I pretty much built a Corsair™ brand PC.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Is it even plugged in?

Seriously though, some PSUs come with a testing kit that you can use and not even have it plugged into the motherboard. You can also make on by connecting certain pins. Google up your model and see about how to test it either with a kit or with a home made one. That's where I'd start.

Make sure not to zap yourself.

e: My corsair PSU died after about a year, and I ended up replacing it with an EVGA. Good luck homie.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

It's a Corsair 850 off one of their high end lines, so yeah. Still going to be testing it later though. As for cooling I've got a Corsair H100i sitting on the CPU right now plus I have a tube of Tuniq thermal paste which is supposed to be some hot new poo poo, although I've got it seated right now with the stock poo poo Corsair puts on their waterblocks.

I may have realized after I ordered everything that I pretty much built a Corsair™ brand PC.

the past 2 brand-new corsair power supplies I've owned were flakey.
flakey as in iregular power supplied to mobo+ SATA power cables.
different HW specs, different custom-built gaming rigs.
same power flakey-ness
So definitely check that corsair power supply out.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

tuluk posted:

christoff:
yeah sager laptops are pretty good. my 2 yr old sager laptop is a p150em and runs 95% of what I play without issues.
it's just slightly heavy, has an INSANE power brick and is annoying to use on planes. I specced the laptop out to run multiple vm instances for studying/certification purposes, and being able game while travelling for work/vacations.
15.6 HD screen, 16gb ram, 240gb ssd/720gb sata2 drive, nvidia gtx 680m,no cd-drive.

Yeah I had an Asus g73jh that lasted me about 4 years. Lot longer than I expected. Could have squeezed more life out of it. I think Asus makes the best gaming laptops but you pay a premium and they're pretty loving huge.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

tuluk posted:

same power flakey-ness

Motherfuck, I knew I should have gone with a Seasonic.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Christoff posted:

Yeah I had an Asus g73jh that lasted me about 4 years. Lot longer than I expected. Could have squeezed more life out of it. I think Asus makes the best gaming laptops but you pay a premium and they're pretty loving huge.

alienware or bust :getin:

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

tuluk posted:

same power flakey-ness

I had a Corsair SSD drop dead and one of their power supplies do weird things. I think in my next build Corsair is not going to be part of the equation.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Helldump Immunity. posted:

I had a Corsair SSD drop dead and one of their power supplies do weird things. I think in my next build Corsair is not going to be part of the equation.

Their RAM and liquid cooling products are great. Everything else is poo poo

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

lol at anyone who buys a gaming laptop

"oh let me spend nearly double to play games shittier!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Does an SSD really make a huge difference in load times? My PC already loads things pretty fast as it is. That's really the only thing I don't have that would be an upgrade but I don't know anyone that has one to see what they're like.

• Locked thread