Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

sassassin posted:

Clearly an awful attempt at writing an adversary for the player, yeah.
It really is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
They should have let you shoot the gunship. If you try to shoot the gunship, Kai Leng makes fun of you.

Man, Shepard has killed like ten gunships.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

sassassin posted:

Clearly an awful attempt at writing an adversary for the player, yeah.
I'm going to try this next time people are talking about Mass Effect 1's poor combat. "Well of course it's not fun, you're fighting in a war, you're supposed to hope the war will end so there will be peace and you can stop playing, it's not bad gameplay it's genius Bioware writing"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

2house2fly posted:

I'm going to try this next time people are talking about Mass Effect 1's poor combat. "Well of course it's not fun, you're fighting in a war, you're supposed to hope the war will end so there will be peace and you can stop playing, it's not bad gameplay it's genius Bioware writing"

I think that is literally, word-for-word, what people said about Spec Ops: The Line

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 1, 2014

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Bioware five years ahead of the curve once again

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Mass Effect 1 seems to be much more stable without the hi-res texture mod installed. I actually prefer the PC version now, the HUD/UI and Inventory are so much easier to use than the console version.

Is it just me or did the first Mass Effect have a better soundtrack?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mustang posted:

Mass Effect 1 seems to be much more stable without the hi-res texture mod installed. I actually prefer the PC version now, the HUD/UI and Inventory are so much easier to use than the console version.

That's funny because I just started the PC version and hate the inventory in comparison to the XBox version. I'm still iffy on the controls. I also prefer the xbox mini-games. They are harder to gently caress up.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.
ME1 had an amazing soundtrack and just overall had a lot more ambience and atmosphere. You didn't get places like the lobby in Noveria, with the calming music and the blizzard you could see through the glass ceiling. And the Citadel was the best in ME1, with just more places to roam around and see.

The soundtrack really added to the feeling, too. And then some of the tracks that played on the alien worlds, especially the extra side mission ones...

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Mustang posted:

ME1 has a soundtrack? I play it on the PS3 and the music is barely audible, even cranked up to 100%.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Spikeguy posted:

I'm going to reserve judgement about the next Mass Effect game until more details and story/gameplay trailers come out. There's just not enough information to either get excited or to decide to pass for me yet.

Right now whether or not they are going to have an updated multiplayer on launch is going to make a big difference for me. ME3's multiplayer was tacked on from an abandoned stand alone online fps Bioware tried to make and it still turned out really fun. Then they did a full year of free updates where they put out a lot of cool weapons and classes.

But gently caress Collectors on London forever.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Aristobulus posted:

The soundtrack really added to the feeling, too. And then some of the tracks that played on the alien worlds, especially the extra side mission ones...
Yep, this. Liara's World is a great track. I'm also sad the OST didn't include the Ilos battle theme.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Trast posted:

ME3's multiplayer was tacked on from an abandoned stand alone online fps Bioware tried to make and it still turned out really fun.

Is that really true? From what we saw of the Mass Effect 'Battlefield' game, they don't really share any assets at all.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSy33Cc_96I
Here's the test footage for the original ME multiplayer concept. Basically no relation to ME3's mode.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I would play the hell out of a Mass Effect FPS. poo poo even a FPS RPG like the Elder Scrolls series would be sweet.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Some ME4 development stuff thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00YqU7CT3XQ
I didn't watch all 30 minutes of it, but I did catch that the main character is wearing N7 armour. I hope the systems alliance accepts alien recruits, because playable aliens is like #1 on my list of things I want in ME4.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Mustang posted:

I would play the hell out of a Mass Effect FPS. poo poo even a FPS RPG like the Elder Scrolls series would be sweet.

If they just widen your FOV, they can keep it as a TPS. Having half your screen filled with your character's back in middle of a fire fight was how I got grabbed by Brutes/Banshees/Phantoms on my first go around.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mymla posted:

Some ME4 development stuff thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00YqU7CT3XQ
I didn't watch all 30 minutes of it, but I did catch that the main character is wearing N7 armour. I hope the systems alliance accepts alien recruits, because playable aliens is like #1 on my list of things I want in ME4.

Man they are really proud of their generic rear end hero design, aren't they? Nothing that dude said gave me any sort of confidence that they know what they're doing at this point. "So uhh, you can see here, that's the direction we're going with our hero character." *shows video of two palette-swapped space marines, both wearing helmets* :waycool:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Shouldn't they be only showing them with helmets on, if we're gonna make our own faces?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lycus posted:

Shouldn't they be only showing them with helmets on, if we're gonna make our own faces?

I'd rather have some idea of what will be possible with the character creation system. Like, I just don't see the point of showing us poo poo this early in the development process. The Mako is pretty exciting, but the whole time they were showing off "Your Hero" was laughable.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
People want to see stuff, so they're showing stuff. I'm not gonna get on them for not having some specific thing, like the facemaker, finished yet. *shrug*

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's a really dumb thing to show at this point. Why not show concept art if there's basically zero game yet?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Trast posted:

But gently caress Collectors on London forever.
FTFY. I'm all for a new MP game but whoever is responsible for that needs to be relegated to cleaning out the toilets after 3 day programming binges.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Kajeesus posted:

The most upset we see Shepard in the series is not when she's betrayed by Udina and the Council, loses a crewmate on Virmire, gets her crew juiced by the collectors or her love interest dies. It's not the years spent trying to impotently warn the galaxy only to be arrested for your efforts. No, it's when Kai Leng takes off after a scripted boss fight which he spends almost entirely standing in clear view, invulnerable and "charging his shields." This is the single greatest loss the crew of the Normandy ever faced.

In older revisions of that missions script, the confrontation at the end of Thessia was going to be where the Virmire Survivor standoff takes place instead of during the Citadel coup attempt (the coup at that point had no taken place yet) and was going to end with the unavoidable death of either Liara or the Virmire Survivor, and Javik being lost to Cerberus.

So in addition to the total loss of Thessia, it was meant to be a heavy personal blow to Shepard. But as things got revised, Shepard's reaction never really changed despite the elements that lead to that reaction being shifted elsewhere or dropped.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Thessia (and to some extent, Earth) is definitely the mission that seems the most damaged by the game development being rushed.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, I was kind of hoping that we'd get to play a Corsair type of character in the eventual ME 4 but it seems we'll be back in the military fold, once again.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I never really got how come it's a bigger deal and a more crushing loss when Reapers invade Thessia than any of the other planets they've invaded throughout the game.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Seemlar posted:

In older revisions of that missions script, the confrontation at the end of Thessia was going to be where the Virmire Survivor standoff takes place instead of during the Citadel coup attempt (the coup at that point had no taken place yet) and was going to end with the unavoidable death of either Liara or the Virmire Survivor, and Javik being lost to Cerberus.

So in addition to the total loss of Thessia, it was meant to be a heavy personal blow to Shepard. But as things got revised, Shepard's reaction never really changed despite the elements that lead to that reaction being shifted elsewhere or dropped.

Source? This is fascinating stuff.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

2house2fly posted:

I never really got how come it's a bigger deal and a more crushing loss when Reapers invade Thessia than any of the other planets they've invaded throughout the game.

What happens on Thessia that doesn't happen on those other planets? Shepard loses pretty much the only thread that was keeping them going and had them in with a chance to win it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There's just a shitload of contrivance WRT Kai Leng showing up literally right when the VI's about to say the magic words in that scene. I always liked the reveal that the Crucible was a device that kept getting refined over each cycle, though. That whole VI scene is like a faster, much more desperate version of the Ilos VI scene, which is kind of nice.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

It wasn't a good scene, but I thought it the concept was that Kai Leng was there the whole time as he was waiting for Shepard to find whatever there was to find.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah, but the VI stops talking because it detects Kai Leng which- why the hell didn't detect him earlier or something, and if you wanted to communicate that Kai Leng was there all the time and waiting to be a dick, why not have him shoot out the VI like he does in the Cerberus station, which did absolutely nothing useful there, etc.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.
I'm surprised they aren't just cranking out a L4d style multiplayer Mass Effect game with the characters they already have. 4 players going through l4d campaign style sets of 5 missions. They could make them slightly branching with some dialogue options and choices interspersed. Either new characters or ones they already have. Like Liara, Tali, Garrus and Wrex go on a mission together while shep is in jail.

I guess Bioware is afraid to get too far out of it's wheelhouse. Maybe if I talk about it enough it will become a thing; I talked about multiple game integration into a single multiplayer experience for like 5 years and companies are finally starting to do that. So if I keep talking about this game idea, Bioware will make it 5 years down the line.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Plom Bar posted:

Source? This is fascinating stuff.

About six months before the game came out an internal beta leaked on XBox Live, when it was data mined it turned out to be full of old script material and internal story notes.

There's a dump of all the details here: http://pastebin.com/KYJNWGug

It's not in any order and has parts that repeat, but the framework of how the entire game eventually turned out is all there, but with a lot of things that were changed or didn't make it at all.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

Dan Didio posted:

What happens on Thessia that doesn't happen on those other planets? Shepard loses pretty much the only thread that was keeping them going and had them in with a chance to win it.

Also, he had to first hand see Thessia be completely over-run by Reapers and actually be lost. They didn't push back the Reapers and save anyone, Thessia was straight up lost. Every other place Shepard could claim some kind of victory, something. So there is that. And yes, Shepard's mission is a failure, losing the VI.

This is really the only way it makes sense to me, is that no part of Thessia was a success, there's nothing he can say went right. Losing the VI alone doesn't seem enough to me to explain Shepard's totally distraught reaction afterwards.

It does also make more sense to consider that the original Thessia storyline was much darker, which would have definitely been reason enough for Shepard's reaction.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

That too. Thessia is the first complete, resounding defeat on a major world and they gain literally nothing from it. It's not like sacrificing parts of Palaven, etc.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

While I think it's a cool concept, it was probably a smart move for them to tone it down. People got mad enough at Leng's attention-seeking email as it was, can you imagine how they'd have reacted if Liara had bought it, too?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Tirranek posted:

While I think it's a cool concept, it was probably a smart move for them to tone it down. People got mad enough at Leng's attention-seeking email as it was, can you imagine how they'd have reacted if Liara had bought it, too?

What is Liara kills the Virmire survivor!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tirranek posted:

I'd have cheered if Liara died. I've been trying to get rid of her for three games!

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Sorry if this has been covered a thousand times but I just noticed i'm missing the top left and top middle miniature ships on the right side display.

Does anyone know what the names of those two are or where I might be able to find them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

GET MY BELT SON posted:

Sorry if this has been covered a thousand times but I just noticed i'm missing the top left and top middle miniature ships on the right side display.

Does anyone know what the names of those two are or where I might be able to find them?

The last two ships show up later in the game in a place you probably already have been. I forget where, though. I know what you are talking about. I think they show up on the Citadel, actually. You can also check with Cortez and look through his stuff. He probably has them, too.

• Locked thread