Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Guys don't overthink the aluminum/steel/metal thing. The guy is literally a mouth breather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

No, it was just Ruddha posting about what stupid animals horses are. Turns out it was pretty easy to find the quote:

There's a whole pile more, too. Horses are dumb as poo poo.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599972&pagenumber=10&perpage=40#post426646421

I see horses and how they behave and their general stupidity and I wonder how men ever rode the loving things into battles. You know, where there was violence and noise and lots and lots of people and pointy things being violent and noisy. How did horseback combat ever succeed? The persistence of early horse trainers must have been legendary.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

astrollinthepork posted:

Guys don't overthink the aluminum/steel/metal thing. The guy is literally a mouth breather.

A few days after reading the first aluminum/steel/metal thing I ran into this same thing at a gun show. I was helping my dad at his booth when a guy asks

"Is this scope mount aluminum or is it metal?"

"Aluminum is a metal."

"...you know what I mean!"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Rontalvos posted:

A few days after reading the first aluminum/steel/metal thing I ran into this same thing at a gun show. I was helping my dad at his booth when a guy asks

"Is this scope mount aluminum or is it metal?"

"Aluminum is a metal."

"...you know what I mean!"

Actually that sparked a memory of when in the mists of time i worked in a camera shop, around the time Canon started putting plastic lens mounts on their cheap SLRs. Obviously metal lens mount mated to plastic ring was a recipe for disaster, but the Canon rep proudly told us "Ah no on the new ones the mount is ABS not plastic!". He absolutely refused to believe that ABS was a plastic and that the mount was exactly the same as before. Apparently that was Canon's official response to all the criticism of the plastic mounts, they just stopped calling them plastic.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Aluminum is metal. ABS is plastic. Finkle is Einhorn!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

Don't forget water is a chemical.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

Horses are dumb as poo poo.

Now let me tell you about reindeer.

Whole loving heards, just loitering by roads. At any given moment, one of these assholes might make a leap straight into your path (or even into you). And they'll stand around for miles and miles, necessitating going like 10 kmh since you never know when you happen upon one of the suicidal ones.

As a bonus, the bucks will see you as a threat and make lunges at you or even attack you, if you get too close (if they're standing on the road you'll just have to wait for mr rear end in a top hat to move).

Why can't the Sami have like, cats or poo poo instead?

Deeters posted:

Don't forget water is a chemical.

Ban hydrogen dioxide NOW!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Who was the poster who hit a deer with his KTM Adventure, and what happened to him/it? I could've sworn he rebuilt it but I don't remember any riding posts after that.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Ban hydrogen dioxide NOW!
Well, it IS pretty nasty stuff.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

clutchpuck posted:

And I'm Spartacus!

It's extra dumb to say "or is it metal?" because the vast majority of the time when something is metal and it's not aluminum, it's steel. Just say "is it aluminum or is it steel?" and you have a 99% chance of it being one or the other.

(Maybe sometimes things are brass but that one's pretty obvious)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Snowdens Secret posted:

Who was the poster who hit a deer with his KTM Adventure, and what happened to him/it? I could've sworn he rebuilt it but I don't remember any riding posts after that.

For some reason, I'm pretty sure it's Ambihelical Hexnut, but I'm often wrong about these things.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

No you see that's just water with extra oxygen in it. Oxygen's good for you, water's good for you, both together must be amazing! <- A thing people actually believe, right up to the point there esophagus disintegrates.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

No you see that's just water with extra oxygen in it. Oxygen's good for you, water's good for you, both together must be amazing! <- A thing people actually believe, right up to the point there esophagus disintegrates.

A chemist walks into a bar, strolls up to the bartender, and says, "I'll have a tall glass of H2O." He gets his drink, gulps the whole thing down, and feeling a sense of delicious refreshment, strolls back out into the night air.

One of the other bar patrons, impressed, says to the bartender, "I'll have a glass of H2O, too." That man died

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

Lynza posted:

The neighbors think two pieces of string will keep the horse in their driveway. I'll take a picture sometime, it's pretty hilarious.

As long as they never break the illusion by doing something stupid like ducking under the bits of string, the horse is going to see it as a solid barrier and not try anything. We've often contained my sister's horse in the stable yard just by hanging a lead rope across the open gate.

Horses aren't really all that bright.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
I occasionally split in Houston when traffic gets really bad. I understand that it is illegal and I try to do it as safely as I can. My usual rule is I'll only split when traffic is essentially stopped and I won't go more than 30 mph between cars or even on the shoulder.

On my way home from work in the galleria area, I split between lanes up to a stoplight. There's a building next to mine and they have hired an off-duty cop to block traffic and allow them to cut across 4 lanes of overcrowded access road. Instead of waiting through 15 minutes in 90+F and 80% humidity, I put-putted through traffic only to get stopped by the off-duty cop directing traffic.

The conversation went this way:
Cop: "What the hell do you think you're doing?"
me: <fumbles to pause SMH10> "I'm trying not to melt"
Cop: "Get back in line and be patient"
me: <turns front wheel to point toward the queue rather than the stripe> "Ok"
Cop: "You know that is illegal. That can get you killed"
me: "yes sir, I understand"
Cop: "Have you ever seen someone die on a bike?"
me: "No sir, but I understand the risks"
Cop: "Well I have. I'm only saying this because I care about your safety"
me: "ok"

<light turns green>

<I leave>

I think the cop wasn't that bad considering he didn't do anything about it and wasn't a huge dick. The stupid poo poo was when I told it to my friend who responds with: "It's not that I care about your safety. It's that if I have to sit in traffic, you should too!" I tell him to just get a bike, but he still doesn't care. For some reason, that pisses me off more than anything. They only care because I'm "cutting" in line on a machine that's lighter and narrower. Cars would do it if they could fit. I've seen it in Houston all over the place.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

XYLOPAGUS posted:

The stupid poo poo was when I told it to my friend who responds with: "It's not that I care about your safety. It's that if I have to sit in traffic, you should too!"

WELCOME TO AMERICA

But yeah, that seems like a reasonable interaction with the police. The cop is right -- splitting in a state where it's prohibited, where the car drivers aren't used to having a motorcycle pull up beside them, is definitely a more dangerous move than doing it in California or somewhere in Europe or whatever. You definitely want to decrease the amount of unexpected situations you create for other drivers...the average person can't even decide what lane they want to be in half the time.

This isn't even getting into doing it in Texas specifically, where I wouldn't be surprised to see someone just pull out a revolver and blow you away.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
If I ever leave California for another state I'm probably going to keep splitting regardless of the consequences. I can't go back to sitting in traffic :unsmigghh:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

If I ever leave California for another state I'm probably going to keep splitting regardless of the consequences. I can't go back to sitting in traffic :unsmigghh:

Seriously if I couldn't filter I'd just buy a car. I love bikes but sitting in traffic on one is the worst thing.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Seriously if I couldn't filter I'd just buy a car. I love bikes but sitting in traffic on one is the worst thing.

Oh no no. I don't want to sit in traffic in a car either, that was one of the biggest motivators for buying a bike.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

At least a car would have air conditioning. Nothing worse than being stuck behind a bus or something on a narrow road that makes it too narrow to filter past, getting a face full of diesel exhaust and melting in the heat.

If I couldn't filter past that for dumb legal reasons I'd just shoot myself instead.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Don't ever pass with a double yellow line either! The asphalt goblin will eat you.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Chichevache posted:

Lane splitting is not exactly legal here in Israel, nor is riding on the shoulder.

Last time I saw a bike in a lane proper was when I did my riding exam and we sort of had to follow the rules to pass the exam and get the license and all.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Collateral Damage posted:

At least a car would have air conditioning. Nothing worse than being stuck behind a bus or something on a narrow road that makes it too narrow to filter past, getting a face full of diesel exhaust and melting in the heat.

If I couldn't filter past that for dumb legal reasons I'd just shoot myself instead.

Just get a Goldwing for AC :buddy:

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

Dead Pressed posted:

Don't ever pass with a double yellow line either! The asphalt goblin will eat you.

The asphalt goblin won't eat you, but one of the biggest oh poo poo motorcycle moments is when I attempted to pass on a double yellow and about 25 yards to the vehicle, he put on his left turn signal.

Never passing on double yellow again.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sagebrush posted:

This isn't even getting into doing it in Texas specifically, where I wouldn't be surprised to see someone just pull out a revolver and blow you away.

:rolleyes: Yeah those completely unhinged gun owners, all they do is see a thing that annoys them and BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG until they run out of bullets. Just constantly out for blood.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
What are you talking about? Guns are cool, Texans with guns have a long history of, er, "incidents".

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Sagebrush posted:

WELCOME TO AMERICA

Yeah... The only reason I'm so bummed about no splitting is I started riding in Southern California (first year and 8,500 miles). Here, my main reason for riding on a nearly daily basis is the use of the HOV lane. I should make a trip to the hill country soon before I go crazy.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I just moved to NYC and traffic is a bitch every day - my commute is 15 miles and takes anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour. I've been splitting as much as I can, and usually filter at traffic lights, but people here are loving nuts and rapidly switch lanes with no signal even at low speed. Sometimes I have no choice but to sit in traffic because people are edged over into the next lane or it's just a sea of 18 wheelers, and theres no way I'm squeezing next to those. It's all so very frustrating. I haven't even tried driving my commute yet - no car parking and an even slower commute for sure.

I can't wait to take a real ride away from everyone... maybe in a few weeks :(

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PCOS Bill posted:

:rolleyes: Yeah those completely unhinged gun owners, all they do is see a thing that annoys them and BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG until they run out of bullets. Just constantly out for blood.

People in every state own guns, dummy. Texas is the state that's so proud of letting people murder others for things as harmless as trespassing that they named the law after a line in Dirty Harry.

:can:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Picture, if you will, a 20-something whit guy on a Ducati Monster. He is wearing a German style half helmet, no gloves, Oxford dress shoes, ankle socks and a suit than is ballooning in the wind. This is who I was behind this morning. I could not stop laughing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I wonder if there's a bizarro Cycle Asylum out there somewhere, where people post "lol I was behind the biggest spaceman dork today, he had leather on EVERY part of his body" and recommend TARBOBUSA to beginners and talk about techniques for going faster in straight lines and parking it in the corners.

Just writing it now, I know it has to exist somewhere.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
/r/calamariraceteam could be but instead it's just t shirt selfies and whining about /r/motorcycles

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sagebrush posted:

I wonder if there's a bizarro Cycle Asylum out there somewhere, where people post "lol I was behind the biggest spaceman dork today, he had leather on EVERY part of his body" and recommend TARBOBUSA to beginners and talk about techniques for going faster in straight lines and parking it in the corners.

Just writing it now, I know it has to exist somewhere.

Isn't that basically most sportbike forums?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That's pretty much the description of the gixxer.com crash forums.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PCOS Bill posted:

Isn't that basically most sportbike forums?

Z3n posted:

That's pretty much the description of the gixxer.com crash forums.

Do they actually make fun of the ATGATT folks though? I know that some of the cruiser riders do but I always pictured squids as more like "yeah, I'd totally wear that badass stuff, except I gotta show off my guns, you know". I mean they wear full-face helmets, after all.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sagebrush posted:

Do they actually make fun of the ATGATT folks though? I know that some of the cruiser riders do but I always pictured squids as more like "yeah, I'd totally wear that badass stuff, except I gotta show off my guns, you know". I mean they wear full-face helmets, after all.

Wear? The only time I see a helmet near a squid is on the helmet hook on their tail

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Even in this no-helmet-law state, I've seen dudes on sportbikes wearing a full face Shoei to compliment their muscle shirt and shorts.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Rossi replicas maybe

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

^^ yeah

In states where there are helmet laws, the squids usually wear full-face race-replica helmets (to go with their race-rep bikes, I guess). If they really hated helmets I imagine they'd just go with the $15 plastic fantastic brain buckets the morons on cruisers get. So I believe that squids aren't actually opposed to Dainese Space Lord gear, they just have some reason to not wear it.

Yesterday, it being a Sunday afternoon in the summer, every possible weekend warrior was out. So many people in skinny jeans/skinny sport coat/loafers/bare hands/fancy full-face Shoei dragging their feet through the intersection on a brand new Ducati.

Bare hands creep me out more than anything else, I think. I see that and imagine hitting the ground at road speed and just ugggggghhhhhh *clenches hands*

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Yeah, no gloves just squicks me. I understand boots, pants, even the jacket, but gloves? Christ, people. I guess you never want to jack/jill off again, huh?

• Locked thread