Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For the few poor souls who never got the Animeigo sets I guess.

Wait, why just the first 18 episodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

Presumably there'll be a volume two, although I wondered the same thing. Also, is it ok to be enjoying the fact that Harmony Gold's kickstarter for a new Robotech series doesn't look like it's going to be funded?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So I started reading Tokyo Ghoul because a friend suggested it, and I don't know about it 'becoming bleach', but it has the coolest 'i wont kill my enemy' segment ever.

Fighting his friend's younger brother who refuses to stay down. So he decides to 'half-kill' him. By breaking exactly half of the brother's bones so he wouldn't be capable of anything, let alone resisting.

Oh, and while he's doing this, he names each and every bone and what it does.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

As expected of a shounen :allears:

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Nate RFB posted:

For the few poor souls who never got the Animeigo sets I guess.

Or the ADV set, which had improved video (and a fairly questionable dub).

Honestly, unless they're double siding the discs, 18 episodes is too many for a four disc box, given that there are hard edits between Macross and Robotech: The Macross Saga that can't be overcome by just switching audio tracks. They need to keep separate versions of everything like Samurai Pizza Cats or Ronin Warriors.

But yeah, there's very little reason to purchase this, and one big reason not to: gently caress Harmony Gold.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
On the bright side, this has to mean HG is in their death throes.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 6, 2014

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

AzraelNewtype posted:

Honestly, unless they're double siding the discs, 18 episodes is too many for a four disc box, given that there are hard edits between Macross and Robotech: The Macross Saga that can't be overcome by just switching audio tracks. They need to keep separate versions of everything like Samurai Pizza Cats or Ronin Warriors.

I'm pretty sure they can do it scene by scene instead of having to include the entire uncut episode.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

AzraelNewtype posted:

Or the ADV set, which had improved video (and a fairly questionable dub).

But yeah, there's very little reason to purchase this, and one big reason not to: gently caress Harmony Gold.
They pretty much have to be double-siding the DVDs. The press release states disc 1 will be episodes 1-9 of Robotech, disc 2 will be episodes 1-9 of Macross, disc 3 episodes 10-18 of Robotech, and disc 4 episodes 10-18 of Macross. 9 episodes on one DVD isn't the most optimum condition, but that's likely little consideration for Harmony Gold at this point.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

AzraelNewtype posted:

They need to keep separate versions of everything like Samurai Pizza Cats or Ronin Warriors.

Ronin Warriors was not a straight dub?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Actually yeah, I'm going to rescind my "yay" about this because basically gently caress Harmony Gold.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

SALT CURES HAM posted:

On the bright side, this has to mean HG is in their death throes.

My worry is that they're trying to do a last minute cash grab so they can crank out some lovely Robotech tie in to keep their license going for another 10 years. Seriously gently caress Harmony Gold.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Revolver Bunker posted:

My worry is that they're trying to do a last minute cash grab so they can crank out some lovely Robotech tie in to keep their license going for another 10 years. Seriously gently caress Harmony Gold.
For example: their (currently on track to fail) kickstarter.

edit: lol

quote:

Pledge $2 or more
ENEMY SPY: Do you hate Harmony Gold? Do you hate Robotech? With the Enemy Spy tier, you can feel free to argue to your burning heart's content! (Please refrain from abusive language as per Kickstar...view more

Estimated delivery: Jul 2015

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 29, 2014

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
The Parasyte anime character design seems a bit ... off, if you've read the manga.

More here.

Apparently Hirano Aya is voicing the hand monster.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

darkgray posted:

I'm already hype

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

darkgray posted:

The Parasyte anime character design seems a bit ... off, if you've read the manga.

More here.

Wonder why they're changing the designs up, Here's hoping it's good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm wanting it to be good but there's no way they can do Parasyte justice with the amount of censoring they'll have to do for TV, it's gonna end up like that soulless Guyver TV series from a few years ago.

Anime is great!
Sep 14, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

So I started reading Tokyo Ghoul because a friend suggested it, and I don't know about it 'becoming bleach', but it has the coolest 'i wont kill my enemy' segment ever.

Fighting his friend's younger brother who refuses to stay down. So he decides to 'half-kill' him. By breaking exactly half of the brother's bones so he wouldn't be capable of anything, let alone resisting.

Bravo to the scanlaters for pulling that off/faking it from where I read it.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

darkgray posted:

More here.

I knew I recognized the character designer, it's the guy who did Abenobashi/Panty/Re:Cutie Honey/FLCL

A little too cutesy for my tastes, I'll tentatively watch it as it airs unless it's censored to hell and back

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
Please help me. I can't stop watching Nozaki-kun episode 4. It sings to me so much after months of doing Tokimeki Memorial LP translation and analysis.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I could see Nozaki wearing a suit at the beach, and Sakura would find him to be ~so cool~, so maybe there really is something to TM3.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
No thread (?), so it'll have to end up in here for now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9TuIVpBi5I

Hanayamata OP re-enacted by the voice actresses.

KoB
May 1, 2009

vibratingsheep posted:

Please help me. I can't stop watching Nozaki-kun episode 4. It sings to me so much after months of doing Tokimeki Memorial LP translation and analysis.

Im sure Tomoda would forgive you.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

vibratingsheep posted:

If only we could have a Tomoda.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Pollyanna posted:

I remember reading the first chapter of Love Stage a long while back, so I figured what the hell, I'll check it out. My feelings are...mixed. As a comedy show, it's not bad. The comedic timing is pretty tight, the character design is great, and I've laughed out loud a good few times. Unfortunately, it's still a stupid loving yaoi, and suffers not from being about male/male relationships, but from the typical ridiculous bullshit that's developed around the genre. It went down the shitter fast right around the middle of episode 3, and you can probably guess why. I'm forgiving, so I'll give it another episode because to be fair it can be funny as hell sometimes. We'll see if I stick with it.

Yeah i dont think ive seen a single anime in this genre that didn't get like the 3rd episode of Love Stage in one form or another.

Its kinda a trope of Yaoi.

An awful awful terrible no good trope.

Which is sad, cause outside of that Love Stage does some funny well thought out things.

I see DRAMAtical Murder heading head on into that trope soon too. So fair warning.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What's the trope so I don't have to watch it?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Talkc posted:

I see DRAMAtical Murder heading head on into that trope soon too. So fair warning.

It's an adaptation of a BL game that's also by nitro+, so I'm not sure what else anyone could have been expecting.

Waffleman_ posted:

What's the trope so I don't have to watch it?

Non-consensual sex.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gooooootcha!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

On top of that they often dress it up in an extra loving creepy layer of 'I'm doing this for your own good/he wanted it really' which manages to make it somehow even worse.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

So next spring we're gonna be getting a new Digimon anime...which is probably a retread of 02. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-08-01/digimon-adventure-anime-returns-next-spring-in-high-school-sequel/.77195

If this retcons that season I'd like to see what they're gonna change. I never saw the rest of 02 back when it was on Fox but everyone hated the ending.

tread-softly
May 31, 2013
Taichi was 14 in the Japanese version when 02 came along, and the trailer specifies that he'll be 17. It looks like they're just tagging another sequel onto the two existing seasons of Adventure.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
With every new episode, Argevollen has teetered on the brink of being continued or dropped. In most respects, it's not bad, but I don't think I can stand the idiocy of the main character any longer. More specifically, I don't think I can stand the tolerance everyone around him seems to have for it. He repeatedly makes poor decisions and not only is routinely forgiven, but even rewarded.

If his poor decision-making had consequences... but it doesn't. Dropped, and I wish I'd not stuck around so long.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
This Season So Far:

Sailor Moon Crystal: Animation is hit or miss. I like that its following some sorta manga or new formula. Its sailor moon. Not a LOT to say about it.

Aldnoah.Zero: My personal fave this season. Im a sucker for mech anime, but most ( im looking at gundam in the last 10 years ) are not so great or are very iterative. This one stands out. It feels fresh and very well realized so far. Probably my favorite mech show since the dramatacular Code Geass.

Jojo's: Continues to be great. Honestly transcends the season to be awesome for a very long time now. Wish i hadnt been late to the party.

Zankyou No Terror: Not sure how i feel. Hits the dark notes very easily. Characters seem very unsavory though i guess thats intentional.

Akame Ga Kill: This show doesnt know what its tone is supposed to be, and neither do i. Stopped watching.

Free! Eternal Summer: KISS ALREADY DAMNIT... ALL OF YOU!!!!

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

With every new episode, Argevollen has teetered on the brink of being continued or dropped. In most respects, it's not bad, but I don't think I can stand the idiocy of the main character any longer. More specifically, I don't think I can stand the tolerance everyone around him seems to have for it. He repeatedly makes poor decisions and not only is routinely forgiven, but even rewarded.

If his poor decision-making had consequences... but it doesn't. Dropped, and I wish I'd not stuck around so long.

I thought his dumbass moment towards the end of this episode was kinda funny. I'm still watching it, but I watched Buddy Complex so my tolerance for aggressively boring robot shows is apparently quite high.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Blhue posted:

I thought his dumbass moment towards the end of this episode was kinda funny.
That was by far the best moment of the show so far.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It was funny, but just not enough to redeem the mediocrity of earlier, for me.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw1sJFpK2mo

Sunrise is putting out a new mecha property this fall. The staff barely have anything to their name (even the character designer is doing character designs for an anime for the first time).

I guess at least it looks like they're not trying to lazily imitate Gundam and/or Geass this time? But all the same, of the 3 mecha shows they're putting out next season I think it's safe to assume this will be the weakest.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

aers
Feb 15, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

The chick in a thong gets out of her robot so she can shoot her human sized gun at the same time as her robot shoots its' robot sized gun.

I'll give it a try

The thongs are their standard issue battle suits

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-08-03/sunrise-unveils-cross-ange-original-tv-anime-with-1st-promo/.77243

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

• Locked thread