Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Y'all sure do love to talk highbrow cinema

Role Models is a good movie

If I have to have a serious-person answer probably Casablanca, maybe Almost Famous or My Cousin Vinnie.

The Lord of the Rings films are just like this whole separate thing.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah. He's been on a bad run. A really bad run.

But, I mean, it's not like other great actors haven't made bad movies. Morgan Freeman has been in some terrible poo poo (like, say, Olympus has Fallen); the Acadamy-Award-Winning Sir Ben Kingsley was in Bloodrayne and The Love Guru; sometimes, dudes just gotta eat.

Sure, I'm not judging. Olivier was in plenty of shitbombs too. I'm just defending that sexy hunk of manmeat Aaron Eckhart.:swoon:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Thanatosian posted:

Have you ever watched the movie? It's not really about smoking. And it is totally unsurprising that a judge would enjoy that movie.

Yeah I saw it when it first came out, but it wasn't very memorable for me so I don't remember anything beyond "lobbying bad" and that scene where Champ Kind invades Panama

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

The 5th Element is a good, fun movie.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1912398/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I thought this was a pretty good movie, kind of LFy

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Y'all sure do love to talk highbrow cinema

Role Models is a good movie

It definitely is.

quote:

The Lord of the Rings films are just like this whole separate thing.

Anybody who doesn't like those movies instantly loses all credibility with me.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Fellowship of the Ring was great. The other two I don't feel like I'd really enjoy watching again though they have some great scenes.

I guess I'm not much of a movie person in general though. I don't see very many.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Majorian posted:

Anybody who doesn't like those movies instantly loses all credibility with me.

They're great films but they're also this whole cultural res to the point that it's hard to even evaluate them as a movie. How you feel about hobbits and/or wizards matters a lot more than how you feel about, say, Liv Tyler's acting.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
a couple years ago some friends and i gathered to watch the directors cuts of all the lord of the rings movies in one sitting. we were successful but i am unsure if i will ever watch those movies again, because of it. good movies though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Swan Oat posted:

a couple years ago some friends and i gathered to watch the directors cuts of all the lord of the rings movies in one sitting. we were successful but i am unsure if i will ever watch those movies again, because of it. good movies though.

The third one has waaaaaaayyyy too much singing, and the second one has too much french kissing of a horse.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like The Rundown and The Whole Nine Yards are tremendously underrated films that not nearly enough people have seen.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Rundown is worth watching for Walken's tooth fairy monologue, but not much else.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Joementum posted:

The Rundown is worth watching for Walken's tooth fairy monologue, but not much else.

Walken is the entire reason to watch that movie, sure, but I wouldn't just limit it to that.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Thanatosian posted:

I feel like The Rundown and The Whole Nine Yards are tremendously underrated films that not nearly enough people have seen.

the whole nine yards is a good rear end film

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hedera Helix posted:

it wasn't a remake of anything, afaik

I mean generally.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

mooyashi posted:

gently caress CLT forever.
I work there, and it's not that bad. If it was muggy you were probably here on one of the days when the a/c wasn't working properly. It's usually quite comfy on the concourses when I go down there. The carpet is constantly being replaced. The clientele is amazingly diverse because we are an international hub city (with something like the 6th highest passenger volume in the entire world, so your statement rings quite false). I don't know, do you mostly just slum around the regional jet scene?

Just, whatever you do, do not spend any money at the Carolina Pit BBQ place. I promise you that not only is there nothing "Carolina" or "Pit" about that dump, but all of the food tastes like body odor and is, of course, horribly overpriced garbage.

Thanks and God Bless.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

we tortured some folks?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

Could not disagree more. I mean, Walken is awesome in it, don't get me wrong; but the film is one of the greatest buddy action flicks every made. The fight scenes are awesome, the dialogue is definitely genre and corny, but it's self-aware and funny. Both The Rock and Stifler are great. It is, overall, an awesome popcorn flick.

Swan Oat posted:

the whole nine yards is a good rear end film
And no one has seen it!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The Whole Nine Yards? Could that film be any more popular?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The Whole Nine Yards, with Bruce Willis, Matthew Perry, Amanda Peet? Grossed $100m at the box office, that one?

The Whole Ten Yards is also, honestly, a good movie.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
A friend and I trade an unopened DVD of The Whole Ten Yards as a gag gift each time we visit.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Chantilly Say posted:

The Whole Nine Yards, with Bruce Willis, Matthew Perry, Amanda Peet? Grossed $100m at the box office, that one?

The Whole Ten Yards is also, honestly, a good movie.
Yeah, not as good as the first one, but still good.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

R. Mute posted:

we tortured some folks?

well only if you considered internationally recognized torture techniques to be 'torture' you insufferable bleeding heart

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The third one has waaaaaaayyyy too much singing, and the second one has too much french kissing of a horse.
Also, as has been pointed out, it has about ten endings. I mean because I grew up in that specific era where Tolkein and D&D all really first created the Orcs & Wizards World As We Know It it was still great for me, but if I didn't have a childhood of memorizing armor classes and re-reading The Hobbit I'd probably be like, "Oh for gently caress'S SAKE" by the time Bilbo sails off with the Elvises.

I think you're maybe close to my age HA, so if you lived through the horror of watching animated orcs sing "Where There's A Whip, There's A Way" you will be forever grateful to Peter Jackson.

Joementum posted:

I'm not a big action buddy flick guy, but Peter Berg is the best stupid movie director working today and The Rundown is one of the only stupid movies I can watch over and over. It's just brilliant in its stupidity. Of course Berg seems like a total :ughh: in real life and he goes from Friday Night Lights to Battleship, so I'm not deifying the guy by any stretch, it's just that it seems his bizarro wannabe tough guy personality and his tutelage under Michael Mann seem to have created some sort of syncretic working ethos that can spawn the perfect stupid guy movie somehow. OR BATTLESHIP.

And, yeah, how could I forget Four Lions? It's on my "brill, da!" list with The Guard. I didn't like In Bruges, much as I wanted to, but I would pretty much watch a movie about Brendan Gleeson baking muffins and muttering poo poo as he watches the morning news at this point.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ReindeerF posted:

I'm not a big action buddy flick guy, but Peter Berg is the best stupid movie director working today and The Rundown is one of the only stupid movies I can watch over and over. It's just brilliant in its stupidity. Of course Berg seems like a total :ughh: in real life and he goes from Friday Night Lights to Battleship, so I'm not deifying the guy by any stretch, it's just that it seems his bizarro wannabe tough guy personality and his tutelage under Michael Mann seem to have created some sort of syncretic working ethos that can spawn the perfect stupid guy movie somehow. OR BATTLESHIP.

I thought the way they worked the board game's mechanic into the movie in Battleship was fun. I also like movies that help people realize that Congress appropriated funds in 2005 to keep a battleship in working order on each coast in case we needed to fight an enemy that sends two battleships against us from different directions.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Zeitgueist posted:

well only if you considered internationally recognized torture techniques to be 'torture' you insufferable bleeding heart
but

but

butt

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

R. Mute posted:

but

but

butt

i remember fun internet discussions with people saying simulated drowning isn't torture because it doesn't leave a mark when that's one of the main reasons you use it

splitting hairs over torture, proud to be an American

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
So a while back someone posted a link to the song "Come all ye coal miners" and there was a bit of Appalachia chat. I was wondering if any of you know of any good documentaries or movies set during industrialization with a focus on labor movements. I have a feeling that it would pair well with the bottle of whiskey and foul mood I have at the end of a long work week. laters~

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

I thought the way they worked the board game's mechanic into the movie in Battleship was fun. I also like movies that help people realize that Congress appropriated funds in 2005 to keep a battleship in working order on each coast in case we needed to fight an enemy that sends two battleships against us from different directions.
Up until the point where Taylor Kitsch and one of the Skarsgards wake up after their bar brawl, so about 10-15 minutes in, Battleship looked like it might be another ridiculously entertaining stupid dude flick. Then the rest of the movie happened.

You could see the old veterans and the mothballed ship coming a mile away, and the movie had already been horrible for like an hour at that point, but man was that the diarrhea icing on the shitcake. I think I was watching through my fingers by then. I still can't believe I paid to see that in a theater and sat through it.

Never again, Berg! Never again :argh:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I kind of want to go see Lucy. Not only do I really like Luc Besson, but the internet rage at the "10% of the brain" thing is hilarious.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Mauser posted:

So a while back someone posted a link to the song "Come all ye coal miners" and there was a bit of Appalachia chat. I was wondering if any of you know of any good documentaries or movies set during industrialization with a focus on labor movements. I have a feeling that it would pair well with the bottle of whiskey and foul mood I have at the end of a long work week. laters~

Not about the labor movement but you reminded me that "Coal Miner's Daughter" is one of my all-time favorites. Then watch Jessica Lange put Beverly D'Angelo to shame as Cline in "Sweet Dreams." Then watch "Nashville" for the hillbilly music movie trifecta.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

I kind of want to go see Lucy. Not only do I really like Luc Besson, but the internet rage at the "10% of the brain" thing is hilarious.
I'm 42 and I've been hearing figures like that all my life. I never questioned it, I just figured it was a pure research type statistic that doesn't mean much of anything. It's actually offending people?

P.S. - Besson movies are a guilty pleasure of mine, so I wanna see Lucy, too.

Were people offended by Limitless in the same way?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'm 42 and I've been hearing figures like that all my life. I never questioned it, I just figured it was a pure research type statistic that doesn't mean much of anything. It's actually offending people?

P.S. - Besson movies are a guilty pleasure of mine, so I wanna see Lucy, too.

Were people offended by Limitless in the same way?

It's become heavily associated with UNLOCK YOUR TRUE POTENTIAL scams and new-age junk, also it's patently false as a quick MRI would reveal

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Mauser posted:

Harlan County, USA is a 70's documentary on a long running strike by the coal miners in said county. Not super informative, but it gives you an interesting look into what it was like on the ground, especially how hard the coal miners continued to have to struggle in Appalachia well after industrialization. Harlan County is also notable for a 1930's strike which inspired a wife of a miner to write the classic 'Which Side Are You On?'

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

rscott posted:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1912398/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I thought this was a pretty good movie, kind of LFy

There's an interesting bit of restraint/censorship in this film: the 'protagonists' never kill any police officers

R. Mute posted:

we tortured some folks?

Disco Stu doesn't advertise

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zeitgueist posted:

the whole "talking about racism just furthers the divide and plays into the hands of The Man is a depressingly common thing you see in white males who are vaguely connected with leftist groups(the "arnarcho" in anarchocapitalism makes them think they're counterculture).

anarcho capitalists and "real anarchists" have the same endstate and should not be treated as if one is better than the other. i hope this helps.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yes real anarchists will patiently allow Rand Paul's Opthamology Warehouse and Property Management to charge rents :allears:

zoux posted:

Whoops looks like Fox 7 caught me rollin dirty on a texting while driving segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Bj1J6RY9E

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 2, 2014

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

One of my coworkers told me yesterday that he's sure he could endure being waterboarded without breaking. He also knows a guy who was in some branch of the military who won a training exercise by seeing a pilot's name badge through the scope of a "sniper rifle" and another guy who was an FBI informant and had plans to to shoot down a "communication satellite" during the Sochi Olympic coverage.

He's a smart guy, but holy poo poo did someone write "gullible" all over the ceiling.

Zeitgueist posted:

the whole "talking about racism just furthers the divide and plays into the hands of The Man is a depressingly common thing you see in white males who are vaguely connected with leftist groups(the "arnarcho" in anarchocapitalism makes them think they're counterculture).
I was that guy in high school and part of college. It's the kind of answer you come up with when you recognize that there's a problem, but aren't willing to put any serious thought into an answer and are absolutely positive that you can't possibly be part of the problem.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
well all you need is a long spine board and a gallon of water. you can find these things almost anywhere. some recommend a towel wrapped around the face but the only important detail is to keep the feet elevated. if he's doing well, don't forget to pop him one in the mouth for resisting. then before you go home tie him up in a stress position by a florescent light, jam a tube down his throat, and leave him with nothing but drowning pool's hit single "let the bodies hit the floor" at 100 decibels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

GWBBQ posted:

One of my coworkers told me yesterday that he's sure he could endure being waterboarded without breaking. He also knows a guy who was in some branch of the military who won a training exercise by seeing a pilot's name badge through the scope of a "sniper rifle" and another guy who was an FBI informant and had plans to to shoot down a "communication satellite" during the Sochi Olympic coverage.

He's a smart guy, but holy poo poo did someone write "gullible" all over the ceiling.

Are you sure he's not just a pathological liar?

• Locked thread