Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
What is the 420th rule of acquisition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Hello. I have watched all the Treks except the last half of Enterprise, any TOS movies, and TOS itself. If The Animated Series counts I also have not watched that. I really like Star Trek. I've seen clips from the TOS movies and was really impressed so I think I will be checking out TOS at some point.

TOS and the good TOS movies (II-IV,VI) are very different things. Both are good in their own way, but are very different. It does help to have watched TOS first so you'll give a poo poo about the characters, though.

Also, the second half of Enterprise is better than the first half by a fair margin.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Baloogan posted:

Snuff beetle erry day?

I think there is a partial list on memory alpha but I'm on phone and also don't feel like going to see if any trek writer made a weed joke. The answer is almost certainly not though, I feel.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Hello. I have watched all the Treks except the last half of Enterprise, any TOS movies, and TOS itself. If The Animated Series counts I also have not watched that. I really like Star Trek. I've seen clips from the TOS movies and was really impressed so I think I will be checking out TOS at some point.

I forgot to mention I like Voyager a lot. I think at points it is as good as TNG and DS9. I wouldn't say it really surpasses them at any point, but that's just because TNG and DS9 are so good. There are just as many worthless TNG and DS9 episodes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Baloogan posted:

"Never praise it until you blaze it."

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Ok I'm gonna be the one to say it. There's only 285 rules guys.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Baloogan posted:

Don't bogart the joint

I forgot to mention I like Voyager a lot.

You are easily amused, watch everything ever.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Oh come on if that scene was in TNG you wouldn't even bat an eye.

TNG would have better sense than stick a lot of "aw shucks" stuff in the show. TNG Caretaker would have been a bathhouse full of half naked women.

Worf doing the handbone solo always gets me.

Oh look, its the TNG clip show!

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

I don't know whether I should be relieved I didn't know offhand how many rules there were, or still self-hating nerd for knowing there aren't 420 :negative:

e:

Cat Hatter posted:

Here is Hugs Boson's gif collection. Much more original than Aatrek's collection.

I think Hugs also made the best Star Trek game but that may have been someone else. (Edit: Durr, it says "Hugs Boson Presents" on the title screen :downs:)

This game is broken. :(

Kazy fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 2, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
In Survivors, when Riker gets caught in the trap, he hits the pole really hard.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

286th rule of acquisition: When Morn leaves, it's all over.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

syscall girl posted:

Snuff beetle erry day?

I think there is a partial list on memory alpha but I'm on phone and also don't feel like going to see if any trek writer made a weed joke. The answer is almost certainly not though, I feel.

I can never quite tell what Beetle Snuff is an analog too. I really hope it's Ferengi cocaine because that would be hilarious.. and explain a lot of Zek.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Blazing Ownager posted:

I can never quite tell what Beetle Snuff is an analog too. I really hope it's Ferengi cocaine because that would be hilarious.. and explain a lot of Zek.

Zek being essentially Ferengi Keith Richards is an amazing mental image.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Blazing Ownager posted:

There's tobacco that people sniff that has an energetic effect. It's called snuff, so...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is CBS going to remaster Bij?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Cojawfee posted:

Is CBS going to remaster Bij?

People of this generation need to experience an HD version of Bij before they die.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

Kazy posted:

This game is broken. :(

It didn't work in Chrome for me but it was fine in Internet Explorer. Maybe IE is more compatible with LCARS.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Wowbagger2004 posted:

It didn't work in Chrome for me but it was fine in Internet Explorer. Maybe IE is more compatible with LCARS.

It did always feel like a natural evolution of Windows, for all that implies…

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Virion posted:

It did always feel like a natural evolution of Windows, for all that implies…

I love how in 98% of the time we see someone using LCARS input, they're just prattling their fingers over the display like someone faking the playing of a piano. Unless the shot specifically called for a certain usage of the panels, it's all laaa-dee-daa over here.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I know Wil Wheaton has said that he made up and memorized a variety of input sequences. I think as a kid I noticed that he always touches a specific large blue button on the top right of the panel at the end of any input sequence that involves going to warp.

:spergin:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I remember noticing that not just him, but any helmsman they'd always DRAMATICALLY SLAP something big as the final 'go-to-warp' thing if there was a shot of them inputting the commands. Wasn't quite into it enough to remember if it was consistent but they did like a big bang on a button to end it.

EDIT: that said, I am nerdy enough to check, and one of the bigass buttons does have a large label saying WARP DRIVE on it, so just a wild guess but they were probably hitting that.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 2, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think the LCARS interface has aged so well in large part because there are no labels and only the very simplest animations. It may look weird and dated but I think anything more advanced would age even worse.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

I think the LCARS interface has aged so well in large part because there are no labels and only the very simplest animations. It may look weird and dated but I think anything more advanced would age even worse.

To a degree, but some more (unreadably small for the audience) text and numbers and stuff might have served it better. It always kinda bugged me that it was mostly buttons and very little information displays. The back consoles where they had hidden screens built into the LCARS panels on set were better, obviously, but things like the helm and ops and tactical were just totally devoid of it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 2, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The computer wisely keeps relevant, important information well away from the inept squishy things which believe they are in command.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
LCARS looks so awesome and inscrutably futuristic to me that all actual modern touch screen interfaces feel knockoffish and wrong.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
The most obvious LCARS issues were always the PADDS, I think. Like Jake Sisko saying "Sorry, gotta write now," and then drawing a pen over blank text with nothing happening for several seconds. Granted, you could argue he's highlighting or making notes, but, well, it never really looked like that. The worst one I saw was Chief O'Brien actually acting as if there were buttons and going beep boop boop when the PADD was just displaying a whole bunch of text.

That said, I'm blown away by how well LCARS in general has aged, including the PADDs. I can't think of any piece of technology or display in film or tv that's aged better.

I also liked how in Trials and Tribble-ations Sisko spends like 10 seconds typing then "reading" a display as if it's feeding constantly updating information to him, but it's just a picture of a static radar thingy, plus a bunch of the old lights that aren't even blinking or anything. I'm positive it was shot to make it as hammy and obvious as possible what's happening.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's the tricorders that really bug me. They designed all these great forward-thinking touchscreen systems and then this incredibly versatile, compact multipurpose tool has like a dozen physical buttons and a tiny screen. Why they didn't apply their LCARS/Okudagram design concepts is beyond me.

hohum
Mar 17, 2010

umoms.
Like any large government organization, starfleet often awards technology contracts to a diverse range of companies. I'm sure most of them follow UI and design standards, but not all do. The company that designed the Tricorder were likely the black sheep of the bunch. Or something.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

hohum posted:

Like any large government organization, starfleet often awards technology contracts to a diverse range of companies. I'm sure most of them follow UI and design standards, but not all do. The company that designed the Tricorder were likely the black sheep of the bunch. Or something.

Even the 29th century super-future-advanced tricorder was a piece of poo poo. drat entrenched contracts.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The only Tricorder that matched the LCARS style that I can remember was the Nemesis Tricorder.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, for Nemesis they finally got around to sticking a few greebles on a Palm Pilot and calling it a tricorder.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
What would a modern successor Star Trek series make its PADDs and Tricorders look like, I wonder? Like, a show that takes place some 20-30 years after the end of Voyager.

Would they just have a bunch of actors walking around holding some smartphones and tablets with an LCARS skin?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If you were to be forward-thinking and try to continue to push UI boundaries, you'd probably have to include some element of holographic capability to them. Even so, you'd basically just have a PADD as a thin pane of black glass or something.

Tricorders you could keep as thicker with the excuse of the sensors buried inside, which will always be in advance of the show's watchers and thus can take up whatever amount of space you say they will.

I like the idea of people having recreational objects like, say, books that appear to be traditional book, with pages, indistinguishable from any modern book but you can load whatever content you want and the pages are fully animate if they need to be. If you want to read something, you just ask it to become whatever you want to read.

The design principle you'd want to follow would be to assume that any basic technology like display could be infinitely small; your design constraints are aesthetics and practical handling. I'd say the walls wouldn't have displays or panels on them; just that any surface could be a panel or display. Or any air.

Really, to do a follow-on Trek would really be a nightmare to do properly, because honestly, you'd need 3D projection all over the place in basic use and in the background of every shot. Our main characters are in the foreground doing their thing but in the background ensign redshirt at Mission Ops is holding a projection of that asteroid we surveyed yesterday in his hands pressing through it to strip away the geological layers, whilst floating next to him the comms officer is sitting there examining a fleet distribution map floating in space and Engineer #3 wandering over to Ops holding a projected pulled apart systems status update of the starboard plasma manifold that he's annotated, because that's just daily tasks on the Enterprise-G.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 2, 2014

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Prometheus' interfaces were a good depiction of what a New Trek might want to go for. Although, the retro-futurism of the new movies might be a better choice from an aesthetic standpoint even if it's completely unrealistic.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

DrSunshine posted:

What would a modern successor Star Trek series make its PADDs and Tricorders look like, I wonder? Like, a show that takes place some 20-30 years after the end of Voyager.

Would they just have a bunch of actors walking around holding some smartphones and tablets with an LCARS skin?
Given that I would bet you that TNG is why we have tablet computers (at least in their current form), this would be rather tricky. Leaving aside constant calls for VFX I would make pads about the same they are now if in a distinctive ruggedized frame, and have tricorders be either like the larger-screened smartphones or just sensor wands you plug into your pad. I think having the sensor wands remain relatively big and chunky and things you point/run over people can easily be justified, whether by 'humanoid design features' or 'it lets the actors act with it'. Obviously ideally they'd just constantly flood everything with instant studytron sweeps for the ship's Singularity hivebrain core :v:

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

MikeJF posted:

It's the tricorders that really bug me. They designed all these great forward-thinking touchscreen systems and then this incredibly versatile, compact multipurpose tool has like a dozen physical buttons and a tiny screen. Why they didn't apply their LCARS/Okudagram design concepts is beyond me.

If you want an off-the-top-of-my-head answer, I suppose you could think of tricorders like modern military electronics that are used in the field. It doesn't have the sophistication or the packaging of a PADD, but it's meant to be used in a far harsher environment than a PADD. On top of that, it's a device that needs to be operational at all times, since a lot of the time it's the only thing separating an away team from certain death. There may also be psychological reasons; after all, poking a button feels more like you're doing something than dragging your finger does.

Maybe I'm just a Luddite, but I can't imagine someone in a -60ºC blizzard trying to use a touchscreen with their gloves on.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
We don't use gloves in the future, we have a more evolved sensibility where ahh gently caress my fingers are really numb poo poo poo poo this hurts

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
So I watched a random episode of Enterprise today and hadn't thought about the shadowy figure in a while. I had heard the stuff about it being Archer before, but had no idea about all of this other stuff. ALSO I didn't know the dude who played Jo'Bril and the "I'll just have to make sure my calculations are correct ENSIGN" guy from TNG's Descent was the future guy, or the fact that he was on Voyager and DS9.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Humanoid_Figure?file=Jonathan_Archer_meets_Future_Guy.jpg
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/James_Horan
http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Jamran_Harnoth

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What was it that had those flexible display screens that you unrolled from a cylinder? Firefly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Arglebargle III posted:

The LCARS interface has aged so well because its basically just abstract art.

DrSunshine posted:

The logical answer is some sort of mind/machine interface, but that doesn't make for visually interesting TV. So the answer would probably be just having the information exist without any real visible device attached to it at all. As handheld electronics have evolved, the ratio of screen:everythingelse has continually moved to favor screen, because everything else is just a means to an end for displaying and controlling the info you want. The logical end result of this design trend is a device which is entirely information display, and nothing else.

• Locked thread