Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Obviously, you're not a golfer.
So this is likely a dumb question, but I'll ask it just the same because I have no shame: How the hell do you tag people in multiplayer? There's no controller diagram (that I can find) and there's no tutorial on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

jeffLebowski posted:

So this is likely a dumb question, but I'll ask it just the same because I have no shame: How the hell do you tag people in multiplayer? There's no controller diagram (that I can find) and there's no tutorial on it.
R3. You have to be aiming at them.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Obviously, you're not a golfer.

ufarn posted:

R3. You have to be aiming at them.

Ah. Ok. Thanks. I figured you might need line of sight. I actually tried R3 (amongst a bunch of other things) but only while they were showing up in listen mode.

Aloofa
Apr 24, 2010
Upgrading listening is pointless in my opinion. The base ability is just fine considering you can't even use it on higher difficulties. My upgrades go sway>shivs>health. Weapons are kind of all over the place after I upgrade holsters. Upgrading the bow is pretty worth it.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
About upgrades...

I started noticing that my pills would conveniently cap out at the max level of whatever I was at (for example, 30 for increased health or whatever) and the game wouldn't give me anymore until I spent them. So I would spend them, then low and and behold, a few minutes later BAM! A stack of pills. This happened so many times it's not even funny.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
About to play some multiplayer. Feel free to add me and hop in my party for shooting dudes and crouch walking a lot.

Username is NO_GRANDMA_NO

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I just went 13 downs, 0 deaths, 4 revives in multiplayer :feelsgood:

and you guys werne't kidding the Revive 2/First Aid 2 pack is the greatest combo to make you a one man army, which explains that score.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Just finished the main game for the first time.

Goddamn that game was good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

So, is multiplayer cross play between PS3 and PS4?

Synathaesia
Jul 4, 2009

it's been a hard day's night
and I'd been workin' like a dog

inSTAALed posted:

About to play some multiplayer. Feel free to add me and hop in my party for shooting dudes and crouch walking a lot.

Username is NO_GRANDMA_NO

Playing with him - could use more people for pub stomping.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

Synathaesia posted:

Playing with him - could use more people for pub stomping.

Still have one more spot if anyone wants in!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Manatee Cannon posted:

So, is multiplayer cross play between PS3 and PS4?

Narp.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Oh well, I kinda expected as much anyway.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Good lord I'm terrible at this. Truly The Worst of Us.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
Really fun games tonight, guys. Think we were all starting to get the hang of things there towards the end. I will probably have a party up again tomorrow and/or Sunday, so look out for it.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
God this is harder then I remember on Survivor or whatever it is. The church garden is loving hard.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

davecrazy posted:

God this is harder then I remember on Survivor or whatever it is. The church garden is loving hard.
Walk reeeeeally slow and don't attack any of the clickers and it'll get a lot easier. You can even open the gate without alerting them, which is bizarre.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Alternatively, start running right after the game loads and watch as it fails to load several of the clickers and you can get past it pretty easy. This *might* have been fixed for the PS4 version. Very few sections actually require stealth and can be brute forced.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 2, 2014

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Well yeah, because it's not a stealth game. It's more like pop out, smash a face with a brick, duck back into cover sort of thing. You're not supposed to remain hidden.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Its not even that. Its a rush to the next poorly designed set piece to experience the next terrible cutscene. Game's janky as gently caress and not in the loveable European german/polish/russian kind of way.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If you move in listen mode clickers won't hear you even if you're bumped up against them.

And the bow takes out infected in a single headshot. That's why you should upgrade weapon sway as soon as possible.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Shiv master, weapon sway. Those are the only skills that matter, they're so useful. There's no weapons sway at all if you upgrade it twice, it makes combat way more consistent.

Listen distance can be pretty useful too.

Anyway, I've been playing through on survivor and it's REAL stingy on ammo and stuff, there seems to be an automatic difficulty system in place that makes more ammo drop when you're low, but it's frustratingly inconsistent. Sometimes an enemy will drop 6 shotgun shells when you kill them, other times you'll have literally 0 bullets for any weapon and they'll drop 1 revolver round.

That's kinda one of my frustrations with the game on higher difficulties, there's too much automatic systems in the background and the game actively discourages exploration by making it so there's almost never anything to find, almost all the locations that have items on normal mode have been removed. I know that's supposed to make it more difficult so that you conserve items better, but it's a little ridiculous.

Also, maybe I'm crazy, but enemies seem to never drop any items if you kill them via stealth or melee. Most of the time when I find bullets on enemies when I'm not low, it's by using a gun to kill them. So I feel like I'm being encouraged to use my guns to kill dudes so I'll get more ammo, but sometimes it doesn't work. There's all this hidden alchemy to how the items work that makes no sense. I wish it was more consistent.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Its not even that. Its a rush to the next poorly designed set piece to experience the next terrible cutscene. Game's janky as gently caress and not in the loveable European german/polish/russian kind of way.

Why do you have such a bug up your rear end about this game? Like, literally everyone disagrees with you about it being horrible and I don't know what you are trying to accomplish by whining about how terrible the SP is in every one of your posts. Obviously you didn't like it. Are you hoping everyone else is going to change their minds when they read your posts or something?

poo poo, I even disliked Uncharted gameplay and I think TLOU is great even if it's a bit flawed in some areas.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Aug 2, 2014

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

What is an example of a well-designed set piece?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Wait a minute here... do you not like the single player game?!?! I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on why the game is so "janky" "as gently caress", please do elaborate. I, along with everyone else had thought the game was excellent, but as I am not an expert and you clearly are I would love to read a very extensive and elaborate posting, explaining absolutely everything you don't like about the game in great detail.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Please do not encourage virtualboyCOLOR.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Wandle Cax posted:

Wait a minute here... do you not like the single player game?!?! I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on why the game is so "janky" "as gently caress", please do elaborate. I, along with everyone else had thought the game was excellent, but as I am not an expert and you clearly are I would love to read a very extensive and elaborate posting, explaining absolutely everything you don't like about the game in great detail.

Please no.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Wandle Cax posted:

please no

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I wanna hear it. Who cares if his opinion is different.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Any tips for multiplayer? I found that I was running low on ammo alot.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

echronorian posted:

You seem to?

Anyway, I am playing on Hard, and I can't even fathom playing on either of the higher difficulties. Perhaps I'll get better at the game, but now I get stuck at every other action-setpiece.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Arthe Xavier posted:

You seem to?

I'm not offended by it is what I mean, chuckles. Just interested because I've never heard anyone say that. Some people get really offended about their art video games bullshit, but I'd genuinely like to hear what he means since he keeps bringing it up.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Aug 2, 2014

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

echronorian posted:

I'm not offended by it is what I mean, chuckles. Just interested because I've never heard anyone say that.

Agreed, it could be part of a series where he talks about why godfather II is poorly written and getting a blowjob is just the worst.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Also should I be going for head shots or just center mass with the revolver or semi auto rifle?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Headshots are ideal in pretty much all scenarios. However due to the weapon sway early on, and the fact that infected tend to move kind of erratically, you're taking a gamble and you need to make your shots count. So its based on how confident you feel you wont miss.

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

Any tips for multiplayer? I found that I was running low on ammo alot.

You need parts and the fastest way to get parts is first aid and crafting. This is one of the few games a support class can be a killing machine. Revolver + First Aid 2 + Crafting 2 + Covert 2 is my current setup and do pretty drat well with it..

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

echronorian posted:

Yeah me too honestly. I'm kind of curious as to why he hates it so much.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

Also should I be going for head shots or just center mass with the revolver or semi auto rifle?

The key to not running out of ammo in MP is basically, well, play better. You need to be able to get enough kills to get the ammo that drops when you do, as well as parts to purchase ammo. You should also be making regular trips to the supply caches since they drop ammo pretty often.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah me too honestly. I'm kind of curious as to why he hates it so much.

People like different things, some people think Justin Bieber is great. People not liking the things you like does not invalidate your like of that thing. The Last of Us is generally of a relatively high quality in terms of sheer craftsmanship but it doesn't mean it's an objectively perfectly enjoyable thing for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

cat doter posted:

People like different things, some people think Justin Bieber is great. People not liking the things you like does not invalidate your like of that thing. The Last of Us is generally of a relatively high quality in terms of sheer craftsmanship but it doesn't mean it's an objectively perfectly enjoyable thing for everyone.

Yeah, cool, thanks mom for that even handed response.

No one is saying anything like that.

• Locked thread