Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Five (5) of the federal contractors listed above submitted written objections to the release of their EEO-1 Reports. The five federal contractors objecting to the release of their EEO-1 Reports are:

Hewlett-Packard Co.
International Business Machines Corp. (IBM)
Apple, Inc.
Microsoft Corp.
Google Inc.

The general reasons for the objections to the release of the companies' EEO-1 Reports include that the confidential commercial information could cause competitive harm through the divulgence to competitors of each firms' organizational and operational strategies plus a multitude of organizational behaviors, patterns and trends; cause negative effects on the firms' markets and market segments; the information, if released, would divulge the firms' staffing models which could provide competitors with staff raiding opportunities; most of the objecting companies believe the release of the EEO-1 Reports could have adverse effects upon growth and expansion activities; and most believe the information release could adversely affect products and services.

Only Intel Corp. provided to OFCCP a written statement agreeing to the release of its EEO-1 Reports.

Except for Ingram Micro Inc. for which OFCCP holds EEO-1 Reports only for FY2006 and FY2007, OFCCP is releasing on DVDs the EEO-1 reports for the years contained in our database which are from FY2006 through FY2010 for the following five (5) federal contractors:

Dell Inc.
Intel Corp.
Cisco Systems Inc.
Ingram Micro Inc.
EBay Inc.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/03/17/technology/diversity-silicon-valley/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-08-01/google-said-to-plan-separating-photo-service-from-google-.html

the roll back of google+ continues. this is another reminder that the only way google products become successful is by heavy bundling and not because they're actually good

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

that barge got google some serious buzz. especially with what larry said about having a google island where they were free from all laws and could experiment. so i think people imagined they were making some dangerously disruptive stuff there. even i'm disappointed. this is also how it will feel when boston dynamics doesn't do anything and self-driving cars never happen.

is this the google version of wanting to build and live in a sea-fortress populated by greasy libertarians?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Last Chance posted:

is this the google version of wanting to build and live in a sea-fortress populated by greasy libertarians?
its a postapocalyptic shelter in preparation of the singularity

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cremnob posted:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-08-01/google-said-to-plan-separating-photo-service-from-google-.html

the roll back of google+ continues. this is another reminder that the only way google products become successful is by heavy bundling and not because they're actually good

lol you're delusional

pram
Jun 10, 2001
cremnob is fishmeching fishmech rly good

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

cremnob posting thought process

google does thing.
google bad.
thus thing bad too.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

fishmech posting thought process

read wikipedia article.
argue thing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

nah i just skip to step 2 99% of the time

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

google+ was the number 1 priority of google for 3 years and was bundled and integrated with every pos product they had and it still died cause it couldnt overcome facebook's network effects

google paid employees bonuses based on their performance in social lmao

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

cremnob posted:

google+ was the number 1 priority of google for 3 years and was bundled and integrated with every pos product they had and it still died cause it couldnt overcome facebook's network effects

it couldnt overcome facebook's teaching everyone how awful social networks actually are

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cremnob posted:

google + isnt dead hope this helps

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Nintendo Kid posted:

c'mon man. c'mon

really?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Necc0 posted:

c'mon man. c'mon

really?

yes really, child

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

what never lived cannot die

Dec 26, 2012

pram posted:

cremnob is fishmeching fishmech rly good

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

riiiiiight, and also the google barge is just pining for the fjords

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

voluntarily queueing to be fishmeched itt

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Max Facetime posted:

riiiiiight, and also the google barge is just pining for the fjords

please explain why you think google + is dead

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

pseudorandom name posted:

but in strange aeons, even death may ipo again

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

please explain why you think google + is dead

It is comprised of nonliving data and code on inorganic substrates

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

kraftwerk singles posted:

not for long

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

PleasureKevin posted:

google has the least females and the most whites
http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/1/5958383/ebay-diversity-report-most-gender-equal-tech-company-still-mostly-men

The comments

"numbers imply unequal treatment."

Right, so since approximately 76% of NBA players are black, surely we could use more diversity there right? Where is Al Sharpton when you need him? Oh yeah, bitching that there aren’t enough black owners to more accurately represent the prodominately black players.

Diversity: Euphemism for ’there’s too many white people and/or men here.’ Racist/sexist by its very nature.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

99% black out thurr in them cotton fields and they still complain

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

not for long

Baidu will get there first

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
human flesh search engine was the best episode in law&order's last season imo

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

picasa?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

pseudorandom name posted:

uncurable mlady posted:

but in strange aeons, even death may ipo again

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Okay, I'm turning into Scott Alexander as I say this, but I'm going to try to steelperson the Projective Inverse Nirvana Fallacy.

The Projective Inverse Nirvana Fallacy---let me know if it has a more standard name---is as follows:

"Eating a 5-year-old's nose is bad. Eating a whole 5-year-old is worse. This doesn't mean it's okay to eat a 5-year-old's nose."
"ARE YOU SAYING IT'S OKAY TO EAT FIVE-YEAR-OLD'S NOSES??! THAT IS TERRIBLY INSENSITIVE TO CHILD VICTIMS OF NASAL CANNIBALISM HOW COULD YOU."

On a plain reading, this is a fallacy because something can be bad without being literally as bad as possible. The standard Nirvana Fallacy or Perfect Solution Fallacy is "Because it is not perfect, it is not good". So we might call the reverse reasoning, "Because it is not maximally bad, it is okay" the Inverse Nirvana Fallacy. However, the shouting voice is not actually committing the Inverse Nirvana Fallacy; instead they're acting as if they expect the other person has committed the Inverse Nirvana Fallacy, even despite the disclaimer. So we could call this the Projective Inverse Nirvana Fallacy.

The steel version would be as follows. The human brain only has room for a finite amount of indignation because it only has so many neurotransmitters, and we have an awful lot of behavioral economics showing that people tend to evaluate desirability by reference to comparison points. Therefore it is *not* *actually* possible for someone to avoid the Inverse Nirvana Fallacy in themselves and their listeners. If somebody is currently worked up about how bad X is, and you establish Y, which is worse, as a comparison point, they will very probably, and not easily avoidably, become less worked up about X. Therefore anyone trying to put together a coalition against X has a legitimate worry about anyone who strolls in loudly saying, "I agree X is very bad. By the way, Y is even worse than X." The statement is true, but as a speech act in context, it seems like an attempt to sabotage a coalition against X that does best if people can remain genuinely outraged against X, without giving their brains a chance to establish Y as a comparison point. Saying that you agree X is bad doesn't excuse you from this because you can't avoid the event in other people's brains.

Okay, now counterargument against the steel version: If we allow this as an argument from People Against X, then we can never actually state the true fact that Y is worse than X and have public debates about how to scale punishments, leaving us with the Draconian code (after Dracon of Athens, 7th century BCE) that goes directly from zero punishments to maximum punishments. This has numerous problems, one of which is that there's no further disincentive against progressively worse acts. (E.g., "My troops, what is the penalty for rebellion?" "Death." "What is the penalty for lateness?" "Death." "My troops, we are late.")

I am curious as to what happens if you say on Twitter some realistic example of "Eating a child's nose should be punished by X years in prison, and eating a whole child should be punished by X+Y years in prison", without saying directly that one is worse. Unfortunately I have no good way of finding out.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
what the gently caress

everyone knows a child's cheek is the tastiest part

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cremnob posted:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

kraftwerk singles posted:

are you sure you don't mean "composed of"? or maybe "it comprises..."?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

prefect posted:

are you sure you don't mean "composed of"? or maybe "it comprises..."?
i think he could care less either way

ufarn
May 30, 2009
still cant believe google management didnt even loving use g+

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sham bam bamina! posted:

okay, i deserved that

:psyboom:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ufarn posted:

still cant believe google management didnt even loving use g+

i suspect they got huge bonuses no matter what

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Dec 26, 2012

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
if people think plus is dead they must have no idea what its actual purpose is.

• Locked thread