Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Ultigonio posted:

You've obviously never played Mario Party or Dokapon Kingdom over netplay.

There it is, the thing that sounds worse than playing Mario Party over the internet. Playing Dokapon Kingdom over the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

That's pretty cool and all but unless you can play as Link's uncle and Roam I'm not gonna buy it.

Seriously though fighting as Roam would be awesome.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Trent posted:

I like the classic "gamecube style" controls Pikmin3 the best. :shrug: I do miss marching them around with the c-stick, though.

Thanks for letting me know Pikmin 3 can be played using the Pro Controller. I figured that wasn't possible. Now I have no excuse to not play through this game. I was waiting until I was in the mood to dig out a Wii Remote and nunchuck.

Thank you for this information, now I can finally play Pikmin 3, yay!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

surf rock posted:

That's pretty cool and all but unless you can play as Link's uncle and Roam I'm not gonna buy it.

Doesn't he die off screen in the first 10 seconds.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm pretty happy with the staple of characters unveiled so far. Honestly, all we're missing is playable Ganondorf, which I fully expect, and then the cooler/weirder sidecharacters. The Postman, the Witch Maple, and Hilda would be in my wish list, as well as Skull Kid with Majora's Mask on.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Faux Mulder posted:

I'm thinking of buying myself a Wii U this afternoon. I've read the OP and done some research but I still need a bit of advice. Sorry if these are repeat questions.

1) Is it worth getting the Premium pack? The main advantage as far as I can see is the hard drive size - however, I have a 500GB external USB drive I'm not using. Can I use that for game storage and downloads? Do I have to use all of it? Can I use an SD card for similar purpose? Are there any major drawbacks in using non-system storage?
2) Apart from wear and tear/possible damage, is there any drawback to buying preowned?

You can use any USB hard drive with a Y-cable, any generic USB thumbstick, or if you're super pinched for money, a USB 2.0 card reader and an SD card.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Doesn't he die off screen in the first 10 seconds.

Links uncle is saved when you wish on the triforce at the end of the game.

Didn't know who Roam was until I looked it up, apparently he never appeared in a game at all.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Elliotw2 posted:

You can use any USB hard drive with a Y-cable, any generic USB thumbstick, or if you're super pinched for money, a USB 2.0 card reader and an SD card.

Also should be noted that you only need a Y-USB if your external doesn't have a power source of its own. Should be logically and well-known, but I didn't know this until I decided to reuse an old external I had lying around.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Spectacle Rock posted:

Thanks for letting me know Pikmin 3 can be played using the Pro Controller. I figured that wasn't possible. Now I have no excuse to not play through this game. I was waiting until I was in the mood to dig out a Wii Remote and nunchuck.

Thank you for this information, now I can finally play Pikmin 3, yay!

If you do this though, you'll miss out on the map on the gamepad. I'm not actually sure how the game handles the map in this case because it's pretty integral to the game. You use it to send a captain to a location while you control the others.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The same as when you use a Wiimote, you reach over and poke the gamepad.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
You can also press down on the pro controller d pad (I think) to show the map on the tv. I was resistant to using the gamepad at first and missed the c stick, but I've learned to embrace the gamepad and using the lock on + charge mechanic. It took me maybe an hour of playing with the gamepad to get my head out of my rear end and stop longing for the GameCube control style.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The gamepad classic controls/pro controls are literally the Gamecube controls except you have a unlocked cursor though. I kinda wish I used a pro controller since I kept accidentally charging because I shook the gamepad too much.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Has it been brought up in the thread that someone figured out an exploit that enables homebrew on the Wii U gamepad?

It's apparently pretty barebones right now, but hopefully something cool will come out of it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

TheKingofSprings posted:

Has it been brought up in the thread that someone figured out an exploit that enables homebrew on the Wii U gamepad?

It's apparently pretty barebones right now, but hopefully something cool will come out of it.

You can't just say these things without sources.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

You can't just say these things without sources.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/testing-wiiu-browser-exploit-on-5-1-0.369463/ This seems like where it first got announced.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

surf rock posted:

Roam would be neat just because of my Nintendo Power nostalgia but they'd probably have to pay royalties to Shotaro Ishinomori's (The artist who did that comic, and also a very famous manga artist/TV show creator in Japan) estate or whoever because he's straight up modeled after one of the main characters of one of his most well-known works in Japan.

Roam, from Nintendo Power's ALttP comic series

Cyborg 009's Jet Link/Cyborg 002

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Truxton posted:

Roam would be neat just because of my Nintendo Power nostalgia but they'd probably have to pay royalties to Shotaro Ishinomori's (The artist who did that comic, and also a very famous manga artist/TV show creator in Japan) estate or whoever because he's straight up modeled after one of the main characters of one of his most well-known works in Japan.

Roam, from Nintendo Power's ALttP comic series

Cyborg 009's Jet Link/Cyborg 002

I doubt they'd need to pay royalties because of that. They actually republished that comic fairly recently, I have a copy of it.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Seriously though, he wields a crossbow and can transform into an eagle. I'm sure they could come up with a pretty interesting set of attacks for him.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

surf rock posted:

Seriously though, he wields a crossbow and can transform into an eagle. I'm sure they could come up with a pretty interesting set of attacks for him.

unfortunately they are only taking characters from OoT, TP, and SS.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Roam was never actually in the game. That'd be like demanding Fox's fox girlfriend, or Samus' bounty hunter friend Tex or whatever his name was, be in their games.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

surf rock posted:

He was never in any of the games. They need to put Malon in first before any of that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Let's compromise. Malon who can turn into an eagle and wields a crossbow.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Malon should totally be in, and attack with cows and chickens.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

Well she does turn into a bird at the end of Link's Awakening, so it can work/is canon.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
Old Man would be the best. He'd have a couple of torches for fire attacks and a never-ending supply of swords.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Let's not have joke suggestions. OoT, TP, SS only. Let's have Groose turn into an eagle and wield a crossbow.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

gently caress all of you, there's only one bird transforming man that's right for the job and that's Rauru. Heck they already have half of the OOT sages so add Nabooru and Saria while they're at it.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 26 minutes!
Put in my man, Sahasrahla in the game. Rauru can simply gently caress off.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The Online mode is you play as Rauru who can transform into Kaepora Gaebora, and you fly to random players and interrupt them with long text sequences telling them things they already know, and you randomly flip where the yes and no prompts are when you ask them if they want to you to repeat it again.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

greatn posted:

The Online mode is you play as Rauru who can transform into Kaepora Gaebora, and you fly to random players and interrupt them with long text sequences telling them things they already know, and you randomly flip where the yes and no prompts are when you ask them if they want to you to repeat it again.
I wish this wasn't a joke cause I really want to do that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

homeless snail posted:

I wish this wasn't a joke cause I really want to do that.

If you try to do it to Fi the game locks up though, they just keep explaining stuff to each other forever.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Panzerschwein posted:

Old Man would be the best. He'd have a couple of torches for fire attacks and a never-ending supply of swords.

Unlimited Blade Works featuring old guy from Zelda 1

Sounds good to me

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer
I'm holding out hope for Error. Give him a few fire-based attacks, and I'm sold.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

mabels big day posted:

Let's not have joke suggestions. OoT, TP, SS only. Let's have Groose turn into an eagle and wield a crossbow.

Malon is in Ocarina of Time.

Also, why would Groose turn into an eagle and not, I dunno, a goose.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Groose is a Moose.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Looking to get one of these in a month or so. I grabbed Mario Kart yesterday so I could get Pikmin 3 for free. It sounds like a good idea to get the refurb deluxe for $200, yeah? What's the cheapest way to get set up with some controllers? I was looking at Wii Party U for one of them, and I'm guessing I'll want another one + probably some classic controllers since I intend to play a lot of Virtual Console. I'll be playing a lot of local multiplayer with one other person.

Honestly half the reason I want one is because buying working carts for old systems like SNES & N64 is really expensive if the game is any good (usually around $30+ -- though I understand the N64 selection on VC isn't the best). I almost just grabbed a Wii since they're cheap but eventually I know I'm gonna wanna play that new Zelda, and I'm excited for some Mario Kart in the mean time.

Star Guarded fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 2, 2014

night slime
May 14, 2014
Been playing Yoshi's Island and the screen is briefly filled with jaggies each time I go to a new part of a level. Was that in the original GBA or is the VC emulation?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Star Guarded posted:

Looking to get one of these in a month or so. I grabbed Mario Kart yesterday so I could get Pikmin 3 for free. It sounds like a good idea to get the refurb deluxe for $200, yeah? What's the cheapest way to get set up with some controllers? I was looking at Wii Party U for one of them, and I'm guessing I'll want another one + probably some classic controllers since I intend to play a lot of Virtual Console. I'll be playing a lot of local multiplayer with one other person.

Honestly half the reason I want one is because buying working carts for old systems like SNES & N64 is really expensive if the game is any good (usually around $30+ -- though I understand the N64 selection on VC isn't the best). I almost just grabbed a Wii since they're cheap but eventually I know I'm gonna wanna play that new Zelda, and I'm excited for some Mario Kart in the mean time.

The Nintendo refurb for $200 is a great deal, but make sure they have some in stock before you order. I got unlucky when I ordered mine, they ran out of units the same day and mine got put on backorder for 3 weeks before it shipped. Not such a big deal, but some people want their stuff quickly.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I got Zombie U, I'm enjoying it quite a bit, tense as gently caress a lot of the times.

I'm stuck though, they want me to scan 2 CCTV boxes, I found one in a basement and scanned it but I can't find the other, the little green dot thing just keeps leading me to the back entrance of the supermarket, but I go into the supermarket and the dot seemingly leads me outside again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hey guys, given recent "advancements" as far as Wii U hacking goes, how long would you estimate it'll be until we get something that allows to play out-of-region games? I'm mostly asking because I want to play Taiko no tatsujin like it's nobody's business.

• Locked thread