Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wraithson
Sep 8, 2011

RedMagus posted:

On the plus side, I know the guy who runs the Houston convention is interested in trying to book you for next year. As far as I can tell no one who has an ounce of sense in the industry is listening to their side.

Thanks again for all your hard work, and to the rest the cast and crew. WTNV makes a great dinner activity with my friends, talking about The Weather, or using various quotations from the show as a springboard for philosophical discussion. This week we ended up talking about famous rabbits, and how a rabbit warren could take out a town of humans!

Please, please maxnmona, come to H-town. Houston needs you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Wraithson posted:

Please, please maxnmona, come to H-town. Houston needs you.

We did a show there 4 months ago.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

The Geek and Sundry Lounge is hot as heck, wow. Did anyone else make it in? I'm in a shirt with a glittery pink Batman logo if anyone wants to say hi.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

maxnmona posted:

We did a show there 4 months ago.

And it was great!

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

The Geek and Sundry Lounge is hot as heck, wow. Did anyone else make it in? I'm in a shirt with a glittery pink Batman logo if anyone wants to say hi.

I was there! I didn't bother to check my phone at the time, though. I also made it out to the WTNV/Thrilling Adventure Hour show, and despite never having listened to TAH before had a great time!

You guys should all definitely check out the recording of the show when it's released. We learn the identity of Fey, the voice of the numbers station. Also, hatred of Steve Carlsberg knows no bounds of time or space.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?
So will WTNV/Thrilling Adventure Hour show be release for download or is it a live thing only?

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

They announced at the show that it was being recorded and would be released to the public eventually, so I'm assuming it'll be for pay-what-you-want like any of the other liveshows that have stopped being performed?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Got caught up last night. Just wanted to give props for the Capital Campaign, and for the weather, that song was cute.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Rose Spirit posted:

They announced at the show that it was being recorded and would be released to the public eventually, so I'm assuming it'll be for pay-what-you-want like any of the other liveshows that have stopped being performed?

They said some time ago that it wouldn't become available online for the forseeable future. Perhaps they'll time-capsule it and release it years down the track after it has become the literal stuff of legend.

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

BiggerJ posted:

They said some time ago that it wouldn't become available online for the forseeable future. Perhaps they'll time-capsule it and release it years down the track after it has become the literal stuff of legend.

That was in regards to the first crossover show back in March. According to the TAH twitter, the recording was lost, which is why it was never released.

The most recent one at SDCC was successfully recorded and will be released, though no date has been given yet.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Great SA not-reference in this episode :v:

I smashed my phone something good.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Kazy posted:

Great SA not-reference in this episode :v:

I smashed my phone something good.

1. I don't get the reference.

2. The non-SA writer wrote that.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

maxnmona posted:

1. I don't get the reference.

2. The non-SA writer wrote that.

The phrase is usually "I ____ something awful" and it just seemed like a deliberate avoidance of using it.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I was listening to it at work today. Today's proverb made me laugh so hard that an employee of the store next door came over to make sure I was okay.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
This is such a good podcast.

I heard about it somewhere on these forums a few months ago, tracked down the first episode, and could not stop talking to friends and family about how great it was. I listened through, catching up to current sometime around Parade Day or the Company Picnic.

I've just finished listening through the whole thing a second time, reading this thread along the way, watching the reactions as they happened and were preserved by the internet. I wish only that I had learned about Welcome to Night Vale half a year or more earlier, so that I could have known about your West Coast tour before it was concluded.

This is such a good podcast. Thank you.

Also, yeah, today's proverb was great, but I am kind of worried about my horoscope.

Does anyone else like the idea of Cecil and Carlos eventually breaking up for incredibly banal reasons? I felt like there might have been a hint of foreshadowing toward that, in the recent episode, before the ending.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I wonder how many other mayors have had to learn the lesson of the Dog Park the hard way? Perhaps it's a right of passage with them.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Jet Jaguar posted:

I wonder how many other mayors have had to learn the lesson of the Dog Park the hard way? Perhaps it's a right of passage with them.

Just Pamela Winchell, presumably. The dog park was new in episode 1.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Leospeare posted:

Just Pamela Winchell, presumably. The dog park was new in episode 1.

I have a feeling there has always been at least one dog park-equivalent Thing Everyone Must Avoid in Night Vale.

I suddenly would love to hear a Night Vale episode set in the '70s, and not just for DISCO WEATHER.

Anyway, I thought this episode was another winner. I'm not with whoever wanted to see Cecil and Carlos break up, like, what the hell, man, but it's not surprising at all that there'd be some tension. Long-distance relationships are hard.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

Carlos and I are both Taurus. Science! :3:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

docbeard posted:

Anyway, I thought this episode was another winner. I'm not with whoever wanted to see Cecil and Carlos break up, like, what the hell, man, but it's not surprising at all that there'd be some tension. Long-distance relationships are hard.

I just thought it would be an interesting way for the story to develop, that's all.

A question about music: What's playing in the background during Episode 48's Word From Our Sponsor? While Lauren and Kevin ramble on, I keep being distracted by the soft, haunting vocals I hear behind them.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I would love if Carlos and Cecil broke up, just to see the Tumblr fans who have been fetishizing that relationship since day one all have breakdowns.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Vavrek posted:

I just thought it would be an interesting way for the story to develop, that's all.

A question about music: What's playing in the background during Episode 48's Word From Our Sponsor? While Lauren and Kevin ramble on, I keep being distracted by the soft, haunting vocals I hear behind them.

Me singing.

https://soundcloud.com/planetoffinks/desert-bluffs-theme-weird

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

I would love if Carlos and Cecil broke up, just to see the Tumblr fans who have been fetishizing that relationship since day one all have breakdowns.

They already had breakdowns at the very idea that Carlos and Cecil might not last forever. You can see some of that here. I'm still not entirely sure what started it (those tweets seem to be in reply to something somebody said, perhaps something about Carlos potentially dying?) But yeah, Tumblr goes rabid at the thought that Cecil and Carlos might not be a perfect, unbreakable couple.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kor posted:

But yeah, Tumblr goes rabid at the thought that Cecil and Carlos might not be a perfect, unbreakable couple.

I have yet to see a fandom that could accept the fact that not all relationships are forever, and might end someday.

Or that the first person the main character falls for is their One True Love.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Honestly I'd rather see their relationship have some rough spots but end up strong for it than them breaking up. It's nice to have a realistic relationship in a work of fiction for once. Hell, I'd rather have teenagers on tumblr go nuts over two mature men working things out than something like Twilight.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
Should I be embarrassed how long it took me to realize they were a couple? I thought Cecil was commenting on Carlos's perfect face in the early episodes because Carlos was some kind of magic being.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

rypakal posted:

Should I be embarrassed how long it took me to realize they were a couple? I thought Cecil was commenting on Carlos's perfect face in the early episodes because Carlos was some kind of magic being.

Don't be embarrassed, that seems to be the consensus. I also thought the entire town of Night Vale was just obsessed with Carlos. That it turned out to just be Cecil's personal obsession was an unexpected quirk that eventually revealed itself.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I'm pretty sure Cecil-the-actor has said that was his impression of the situation initially.

Of course, it becomes pretty obvious what's going on once Cecil-the-character is complaining that Carlos won't say anything about whether or not he's free that weekend.

Maybe the rest of the town eventually got used to Carlos' hypnotically perfect physical form.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I originally thought Carlos was a movie reference. Some stupidly attractive scientist appearers in a strange town like he's the main character in a film, and for a long time was expecting something terrible to happen to him to twist expectations.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
I don't have a link to the clip, but there's a bit with Cecil (the actor) talking about his initial mental image of Carlos as a Brazilian male model who got hired to play a scientist in a B-movie so they just threw a pair of glasses on him to try and make him look smart. The initial idea was that he was the sort of person that's so gorgeous that everyone is just generally distracted by it, regardless of sexuality, and the subplot evolved from there.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdaXPoXefqk

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Presented without comment.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-life-stories/mayonnaise-factory-manager-gives-up-3986921

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Kor posted:

They already had breakdowns at the very idea that Carlos and Cecil might not last forever. You can see some of that here. I'm still not entirely sure what started it (those tweets seem to be in reply to something somebody said, perhaps something about Carlos potentially dying?) But yeah, Tumblr goes rabid at the thought that Cecil and Carlos might not be a perfect, unbreakable couple.

Holy loving poo poo I hate "fandom". I'm gay, I love seeing the relationship between Cecil and Carlos in such popular media, and I hope they work out in the long term. But they're not my characters! I don't decide what happens to them. As long as the writing remains good, that's what matters.

I hope all the Tumblr people meet with a smiling god.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

that is pretty funny that maxnmona yelled at Joss Whedon in person about a character though. It is amusing to imagine that incident.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Earwicker posted:

that is pretty funny that maxnmona yelled at Joss Whedon in person about a character though. It is amusing to imagine that incident.

Wait, WHAT?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

He said earlier that he yelled at Whedon at a panel about a character death in Buffy. I'm just wondering who it was now, though. I'm guessing Tara. I'd have yelled at Whedon about Tara.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

personally I think Whedon needs to be yelled at about all of his characters and also all of the dialogue between them

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
But how can you tell our fictional heroes apart from the dumb jocks if they don't act like insufferable assholes all the time?

God I hope that's on Youtube somewhere, but a quick search is failing me.

I loving love the new direction Cecil and Carlos's relationship seems to be going. Hopefully they come out of this with Cecil less clingy and Carlos less loving oblivious to everything that isn't :science:

I'm worried at some point I'm going to hear Carlos say, "This time a scientist is not fine."

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

He said earlier that he yelled at Whedon at a panel about a character death in Buffy. I'm just wondering who it was now, though. I'm guessing Tara. I'd have yelled at Whedon about Tara.

In my defense, I was a teenager and I regret it now, but I do have a strong understanding for overbearing fans, even if they are still overbearing.

It was not Tara. (Wasn't even buffy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
I'm guessing Wash. Serenity was pretty much nothing but cheap deaths.