Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Motronic posted:

If you also pronounce parrot/pirate the same way I'm pretty sure I can pin down where you live.

I pronounce those differently and I also pronounce 'bean' differently than 'been' and 'bin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Thanatosian posted:

Jesus Christ, this is the most "old man" discussion I've ever seen.

Can't you two just go out on your porches and yell at the kids to get off your lawn?

Well, I tried that, but the kids just didn't seem to understand all my references. I called them a bunch of no good hooligans, but then they threatened to "hack my internet" and I got scared because I don't understand what that meant.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Cage posted:

You are a modern day Bart Simpson. Eat my shorts, man.
I take this as high praise. Cowabunga, dude.

CzarChasm posted:

Well, I tried that, but the kids just didn't seem to understand all my references. I called them a bunch of no good hooligans, but then they threatened to "hack my internet" and I got scared because I don't understand what that meant.
It's all that jazz music they're listening to these days.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

Also, as far as only the first definition being "correct:" the ironic version of "literally" is now listed in the Oxford English Dictionary. Suck it, prescriptivists.

Is that usage literally in the dictionary then?

If we are getting rid of things that people tweak about can we just make "definitely" ="definately"? Can we stop differentiatiing "your" and "you're" (and write them both as "yer")?

photomikey posted:

My new RAID wants to know if I want RAID 0 Span or RAID 0 Stripe. I thought there was only one kind of RAID 0. Edumucate me.

RAID 0 span= more properly known as Concatenation or JBOD (just a Bunch of DIsks). Not 'properly a RAID set'. The controller just uses each disk as needed. There is no redundancy and no speed boost since write speed is unchanged from writing to a disk and depending on the overhead it may be slightly slower. Technically it's not really RAID, but it has come to be referred to as that.

In OS X, and at one time in Windows, the advantage is that the set is extensible: to increase storage you just add another disk. The disadvantage is that any one drive failure takes down the array, though there is a possibility of some data recovery. Another advantage is that the drives do not need to be identical.

RAID O (proper) is striping the data across disks to increase read and write speed, which is usually bottlenecked by the physical action of the drive. All drives must be identical, any drive failure causes total unrecoverable loss of the data on the array.

Think twice before you set up any RAID O array. Unless someone really needs it, it is usually a major PITA, and data recovery is next to impossible.

pupdive fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 1, 2014

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Your and you're is just a mistake. Literally used as hyperbole depends on its actual definition and is an extension of it for effect.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

zachol posted:

Your and you're is just a mistake. Literally used as hyperbole depends on its actual definition and is an extension of it for effect.
Your just being a dumb ol prescriptivist who can't see the beautiful affect of extending you're/your into each other ironically.

Its are language; if you didn't want us to change it you should of made a law or something old man.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

zachol posted:

Your and You're is the same mistake as 'literally', or then and than. It's misunderstanding the language. The majority of people who use 'literally' when they mean 'figuratively' are idiots who don't know that 'literally' actually means 'literally'. I'm fine with that, it's all good. Words change, meanings change, language evolves. Literally, meaning literally, will die, and a new word will take its place. I'm not going to get defo annoyed about it.

English language when written, however, is a lovely thing, and the rules should be followed. uvvehwize ye get peepl rightinow they speek an itint reet great, m8s.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

The majority of people who use 'literally' when they mean 'figuratively' are idiots who don't know that 'literally' actually means 'literally'.

I think you're vastly underestimating people, then.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

zachol posted:

I think you're vastly underestimating people, then.

I disagree, but with good cheer (which now means anger) and friendliness (which now means fuckability)

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

If it became socially accepted to sign off tirades with "cheerfully yours!" as an extra gently caress you, or everyone started using "friendly" as a euphemism, those would both make sense, but nobody else uses the words that way so I don't get what your point is.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

zachol posted:

If it became socially accepted to sign off tirades with "cheerfully yours!" as an extra gently caress you, or everyone started using "friendly" as a euphemism, those would both make sense, but nobody else uses the words that way so I don't get what your point is.

Do you even know what tirade means or are you literally retarded? (haha just a little joke their for you freind were all fine an dandy here)

edit: its unlike me to do this but i looked at your post history and you're one of them imp fellas so haha wtf am I engaging you for you loving imbecile dont post at me ever again

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Looking at a couple of dictionaries, "tirade" seems to be generally accepted as a long and angry speech. I honestly don't get what you mean or why you're being so hostile.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

zachol posted:

Looking at a couple of dictionaries, "tirade" seems to be generally accepted as a long and angry speech. I honestly don't get what you mean or why you're being so hostile.

You had to look at a dictionary to find the meaning of a word you had already used. Two dictionaries, in fact. Heh.

I haven't been angry at all. None of my posts have been particularly long. I have literally never posted a tirade in this thread, and, hell, probably not even on these forums. Ever. Literally. Or literally, if you prefer, I dunno, whichever. You choose, then go back to being an imp and leave me the hell alone, you freak.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that your posts were tirades, I was speaking hypothetically.
I checked a dictionary because I thought perhaps I had been using it "wrong" and that its use as a long angry speech was something recent and nonstandard, and that you were trying to make a point about that. Again, I didn't mean to say that you've been writing tirades.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Apology accepted let's all move on.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Also I totally agree with your original point about than and then. It's really irritating.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does shut the gently caress up still mean what it used to? Because shut the gently caress up.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Does shut the gently caress up still mean what it used to? Because shut the gently caress up.

I'm sorry but now it means you want more pie.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I could care less about this debate. Let's move on.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

I could care less about this debate. Let's move on.

:golfclap:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

pupdive posted:

Think twice before you set up any RAID O array. Unless someone really needs it, it is usually a major PITA, and data recovery is next to impossible.
Surely concatenation would be no more of a problem than just using the disks as separate disks (since you're basically doing that anyway)? Or is it some weirdness where the first disk contains some vital information and if it fails then all subsequent ones become inaccessible?

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Your and You're is the same mistake as 'literally', or then and than. It's misunderstanding the language. The majority of people who use 'literally' when they mean 'figuratively' are idiots who don't know that 'literally' actually means 'literally'.
People who can't tell you the definition of the word "irony" are still capable of understanding it as a concept and using it in speech.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Two separate and unrelated questions here.

1. Can a router die slowly? I've been having spotty Wi-Fi on my phone for a month or so, and tonight my roommate's computer won't stay connected. It's not the modem, wired connections work perfectly. Could the router be slowly losing the ability to put out a signal?

2. What is the definition of "dogwhistle racism"? I see it used a lot, and I can't quite figure it out from context.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

razorrozar posted:

2. What is the definition of "dogwhistle racism"? I see it used a lot, and I can't quite figure it out from context.

Dogwhistle means your intended audience understands you but the people who would disagree with you don't catch it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

razorrozar posted:

Something that's not overtly racist but gets the message across.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

razorrozar posted:

It's easier to give an example than to try to explain the concept imo, so: It's like when a Republican politician or whatever talks about "thugs" but what he really means is "those drat niggers." Another one I can think of off the top is "welfare queen." You almost never see that term used to refer to white women. It's a way for them to project to their supporters how they really feel without being politically incorrect.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

razorrozar posted:

1. Can a router die slowly? I've been having spotty Wi-Fi on my phone for a month or so, and tonight my roommate's computer won't stay connected. It's not the modem, wired connections work perfectly. Could the router be slowly losing the ability to put out a signal?

That can happen, but it's more likely that there's new interference in your area. You might want to try a "site survey" program like InSSIDer http://www.inssider.com/downloads/ to get information on the relative signal strengths of wireless networks around you, and to take the computer around where you live to figure out if some areas are having more interference than others. It could be as simple to fix your problems as changing the channel on your router to one with less interferences.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Hummingbirds posted:

It's easier to give an example than to try to explain the concept imo, so: It's like when a Republican politician or whatever talks about "thugs" but what he really means is "those drat niggers." Another one I can think of off the top is "welfare queen." You almost never see that term used to refer to white women. It's a way for them to project to their supporters how they really feel without being politically incorrect.

It's even more complicated because you'd have to be a moron not to hear it so in a way they think they're being subtle and everyone knows exactly what they're saying but they backpedal and use weasel words and their idiot supporters all nod their heads and defend them.

And some of their supporters are morons and not totally racist shitbags which is just a whole other level. Or they're not complicit in the racism because they're not consciously aware of being racist.

I would say ignorance of your ignorance is no excuse here though because at that point you're part of the problem.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Nintendo Kid posted:

That can happen, but it's more likely that there's new interference in your area. You might want to try a "site survey" program like InSSIDer http://www.inssider.com/downloads/ to get information on the relative signal strengths of wireless networks around you, and to take the computer around where you live to figure out if some areas are having more interference than others. It could be as simple to fix your problems as changing the channel on your router to one with less interferences.

It should be noted that the old version, inSSIDer 2.0, is free and can be found through google, while the newer versions are all paid licenses.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TheLastManStanding posted:

It should be noted that the old version, inSSIDer 2.0, is free and can be found through google, while the newer versions are all paid licenses.

I have version 3 of it and the only thing it asks for payment for is business use.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Surely concatenation would be no more of a problem than just using the disks as separate disks (since you're basically doing that anyway)? Or is it some weirdness where the first disk contains some vital information and if it fails then all subsequent ones become inaccessible?

While your first idea should be true at the very beginning of things,it seems like the latter is what happens. And unfortunately this became not just theoretical to me..

I had a huge concatenated array (made from some external drives) that I could not get any info from because one of the drives had a temperamental power supply. And this is the ideal should be recoverable situation of just hours of raw UW video so it should be a linear read to recover it, since it is dumped linearly.

It's not worth it to chase down the problem or try and do a recovering because in the time since the array failed I have switched to higher resolution digital video (and gotten better at shooting anyway), and I would need a new drive equal to the size of the one I am trying to recover from, and drives get cheaper bigger and faster. The lack of concern about losing the info was behind trying out the concatenated array in the first place.

It put me off the concatenated "RAID", and made me realize I want single drives with backups. Real video pros want stripe RAID array for the write and read speeds on edits, but I am not doing production level anything, just "look at this fish we saw today stuff!" shot on SD cards. Raw video is boring anyway.

I would love to have a huge RAID 10 (1 for Redundant array and 0 for striped array) were I a millionaire. But until I can get a huge RAID 10 array I am staying away from RAID. SIngle large drives are big enough, and SSDs are fast enough, and a mix of the two meets enough of my needs.

Actually I just want to put things in the cloud nowadays. There is a free 2TB cloud backup from the Chinese provider now.
http://yun.baidu.com/1t

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

CzarChasm posted:

Welcome to the American education system. Where they've stopped teaching the difference between homophones.

It doesn't matter if it's spelled correctly or not, because kids only know how to read by speaking out loud, so as long as it sounds correct, it's OK.

Thank you no child left behind.:patriot:

Yes, I know, "Than" shouldn't even be pronounced like "then".

It's because educators have given up. That's how we've come to the point where the word "literally" has two definitions. The correct, original one, which states that something means exactly what you said; and now the secondary, informal definition, which is almost the opposite, used for exaggeration.

There's something very deliciously ironic about a person bitching about education not actually knowing what No Child Left Behind does or why it's bad.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

razorrozar posted:

After (Black) NFL player Richard Sherman made his infamous rant on live television, the word used the next day on television over six hundred times to describe him (meaning not random youtube comments, but actual real life journalists and pundits) was "thug." This references the colloquial definition of a thug as an angry, violent and dangerous Black male from the ghetto. They were essentially referring to him negatively by his Blackness, but not explicitly saying it. There's really no other way it could have been used, because the dictionary definition is "a violent criminal," and that makes no sense. Going off on a rant at another player has nothing to do with being a violent criminal. So, it's clear they were using it to describe him as a ghetto trash Black guy with baggy pants, blaring his rap music, making them lock their doors when he pulls up next to them at a stoplight, "you know the one I'm talking about *wink nudge nudge*". Hence, the dogwhistle. If challenged, they most likely would have claimed, "Oh, no, it had nothing to do with him being Black, I would have said that about anyone!" But this has been shown time and again to not be the case.

the fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 2, 2014

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

the posted:

After (Black) NFL player Richard Sherman made his infamous rant on live television, the word used the next day on television over six hundred times to describe him (meaning not random youtube comments, but actual real life journalists and pundits) was "thug." This references the colloquial definition of a thug as an angry, violent and dangerous Black male from the ghetto. They were essentially referring to him negatively by his Blackness, but not explicitly saying it. There's really no other way it could have been used, because the dictionary definition is "a violent criminal," and that makes no sense. Going off on a rant at another player has nothing to do with being a violent criminal. So, it's clear they were using it to describe him as a ghetto trash Black guy with baggy pants, blaring his rap music, making them lock their doors when he pulls up next to them at a stoplight, "you know the one I'm talking about *wink nudge nudge*". Hence, the dogwhistle. If challenged, they most likely would have claimed, "Oh, no, it had nothing to do with him being Black, I would have said that about anyone!" But this has been shown time and again to not be the case.
White people haven't been so upset at a Sherman in 140 years.

Lee Atwater--who was basically Reagan's Karl Rove--said it best:

You start out in 1954 by saying, "friend of the family, friend of the family, friend of the family." By 1968 you can't say "friend of the family" — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "friend of the family, friend of the family."

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004
Any recommendations on what type of face mask or respirator is best to buy for protection from fumes/ smells when cleaning a bathroom with cleaning products? I am worried about the bleach, chlorine, etc smell from the cleaning products and would like something that protects against them.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Could you consider the term "yuppie" to be dogwhistle reverse racism? Like "thug", it can refer to any race, but it generally doesn't.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Jose Cuervo posted:

Any recommendations on what type of face mask or respirator is best to buy for protection from fumes/ smells when cleaning a bathroom with cleaning products? I am worried about the bleach, chlorine, etc smell from the cleaning products and would like something that protects against them.

You'd need a proper respirator with chemical filters. 3M makes a comprehensive line of both. It's a lot cheaper and much less uncomfortable to just open a window.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

photomikey posted:

Could you consider the term "yuppie" to be dogwhistle reverse racism? Like "thug", it can refer to any race, but it generally doesn't.

Reverse racism doesn't exist.

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004

DNova posted:

You'd need a proper respirator with chemical filters. 3M makes a comprehensive line of both. It's a lot cheaper and much less uncomfortable to just open a window.

Problem is my bathroom does not have windows. I have tried using a fan to provide ventilation but it does not help enough. I was looking at the 3M respirators but could not figure out which cartridges I needed to get.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

photomikey posted:

How is "yuppie" racist, though? There's a big difference between tagging a group of people as status-conscious and materialistic and tagging a group of people as violent and criminal.

Back in the day when "yuppie" was a thing, "buppie" was also kind of a thing (there was an "Official Buppie Handbook" book that was like the Preppie Handbook but with Morehouse and Spelman sweatshirts instead of Harvard and Vassar), so I agree people think of "yuppie" as white, but it's not really a terrible insult.

I also don't think I've heard anyone say "yuppie" in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Jose Cuervo posted:

A fan is probably all you need, but something like this is fine:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-8210-N95-Respirator-20-Pack/dp/B002OJB8AQ/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1407017032