Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Jewel posted:

The upside is that you can easily revert any chunk of code to a previous version if you gently caress something up! And see exactly what you've changed! The downside is that you have to set up for five minutes!!
Also, you can back things up easily and recover from partial data loss a lot more simply, especially if you use a DVCS like git. That rationale of his is just silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Is there a reason why, or process to prevent, military dwarves from periodically shedding armor, particularly when off-duty? I have the squad designated to wear armor replacing clothing and to stay in armor when off-duty but they seem to love to randomly take off armor pieces while doing various tasks.

Also, as an aside, is there any good reason not to equip marksdwarves in plate as opposed to the leather armor typically recommended?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Plate is heavy (slows you down until you get higher armor user skill) and costs more to make, but other than that nope.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

GenericOverusedName posted:

Plate is heavy (slows you down until you get higher armor user skill) and costs more to make, but other than that nope.

Since marksdwarves are often immobile behind fortifications it seems like a good idea.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Archers shouldn't be the most expensive part of your retinue, since the assholes in the front are taking all the hits anyway.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Yeah but since when is metal armor really that difficult to come by? I am generally swimming in iron, and later steel, just by digging out my basic fort geometry and even more so after a little exploratory mining.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

So tents are a thing now.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

babies havin rabies posted:

code:
sudo apt-get install git make build-essential
git clone git://github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist.git
cd Dwarf-Therapist
qmake -qt=5
make
(Compiling will take a while)
sudo make install

cd /usr/bin
sh dwarftherapist
It only comes with 34.11 memory layouts, so after this you will want to copy the contents of your LNP DT memory_layouts folder in
code:
[Location of LNP]/LNP/utilities/dwarftherapist/etc/memory_layouts/linux 
- to -
/usr/share/dwarftherapist/etc/memorylayouts/linux
You will likely need to do this as root.

What I think is going on is that the binary that ships with LNP is simply compiled on 14.04 or something similar and the binary does not know where to look for QT5 on any other setup. If this is the case it is likely the reason why the actual github page does not provide a Linux binary as with Win/OSX.

You are an absolute legend. DT works now, all the compiling with those commands went smoothly, the only difference was that instead of taking the 40.05 layouts from the LNP version of DT I had to take it from the original standalone download I got for Linux (the LNP version looks out of date still..). For the record I was indeed running 12.04 Ubuntu LTS 64bit. Thanks so much for the help.

Wouuld you mind if I quote this over on the Bay12 thread for anybody having the same problem?

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Dashticle posted:

You are an absolute legend. DT works now, all the compiling with those commands went smoothly, the only difference was that instead of taking the 40.05 layouts from the LNP version of DT I had to take it from the original standalone download I got for Linux (the LNP version looks out of date still..). For the record I was indeed running 12.04 Ubuntu LTS 64bit. Thanks so much for the help.

Wouuld you mind if I quote this over on the Bay12 thread for anybody having the same problem?

You're welcome, glad it worked. Please do post it anywhere.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Is there a reason why, or process to prevent, military dwarves from periodically shedding armor, particularly when off-duty? I have the squad designated to wear armor replacing clothing and to stay in armor when off-duty but they seem to love to randomly take off armor pieces while doing various tasks.

If a dwarf is assigned to wear helmets (as an example) and currently are wearing a =steel helm=, when a *steel helm* becomes available they'll toss off the lower quality helm for the better one. So if you have armorers pumping out armor for instance, dwarves assigned to wear that armor will immediately shed what they're wearing and race to pick up and equip the higher quality piece.

Aside from this, I don't know what it could be.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Praise rivers.

Remove Goblin.

Praise rivers.

Also I found this when I first tried to do a fort.

So not only am I going to face goblin attack (at war) I'm also going to deal with a titan attack as well?

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 1, 2014

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

babies havin rabies posted:

You're welcome, glad it worked. Please do post it anywhere.

Funny thing, some other guy apparently fixed the same problem by just moving the executable in the DT folder.

quote:

Dash, I have Ubuntu 12.04 as well, and ExpHP told my to cp the executable from /bin/release to the main folder like so:

cd to your DT folder (mine is called Dwarf-Therapist-2014, but change the name to whatever yours is)
'cp Dwarf-Therapist-2014/bin/release/DwarfTherapist Dwarf-Therapist-2014'

then run from your home directory like so 'sudo ./Dwarf-Therapist-2014/DwarfTherapist'

Apparantly, DT is having trouble finding some files when run from the original folder.

Posted your solution anyway, I'm just glad it's working.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Since marksdwarves are often immobile behind fortifications it seems like a good idea.

if attack speed works like it used to, you are reducing the number of shots per unit time that your archers can make by putting them in armor because it slows them down

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

scamtank posted:

I suppose, but there was a big pile of raw changes in version .05. Hope you weren't running mods.

Nope just phoebus tileset

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Verviticus posted:

if attack speed works like it used to, you are reducing the number of shots per unit time that your archers can make by putting them in armor because it slows them down

peaking of ranged attack speed, is the bug that makes bone/wood bolts turn your crossbow into a railgun fixed yet?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Zurai posted:

Yeah, vermin don't move like actual creatures do, so they ignore things like grates.

Ah so this is why I find lungfish in the sky.

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug

Maugrim posted:

Toady One posted:

I don't use version control

The most :iit: thing in this entire thread

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Catts posted:

If a dwarf is assigned to wear helmets (as an example) and currently are wearing a =steel helm=, when a *steel helm* becomes available they'll toss off the lower quality helm for the better one. So if you have armorers pumping out armor for instance, dwarves assigned to wear that armor will immediately shed what they're wearing and race to pick up and equip the higher quality piece.

Really? I have steel plate lying about and squads training in leather. Only my militias Commander seems to pick up good armor.
Some are sparring in cloaks and mittens only like autistic Spartans.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Beekeeping question: how can I tell when a hive is ready to be harvested? Is a hive that's ready to split also ready to harvest?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

Beekeeping question: how can I tell when a hive is ready to be harvested? Is a hive that's ready to split also ready to harvest?

afaik, yes. since harvesting destroys the colony, you should keep about half of your hives on split duty.

e: the wiki says the ready to split happens "shortly" before harvest time, but I've never noticed a clear interval :confused:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

The Moon Monster posted:

Splitting is weird and I don't think has ever quite worked right. When you're ready to harvest, the [t] cursor shows that there's products inside.

The default stewing time is a bafflingly long six months.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Wait so adamantine and steel got buffed?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Excelzior posted:

peaking of ranged attack speed, is the bug that makes bone/wood bolts turn your crossbow into a railgun fixed yet?

Yeah, just a few days ago. It made into the current version.

amuayse posted:

Wait so adamantine and steel got buffed?

What? No.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Kommando posted:

Really? I have steel plate lying about and squads training in leather. Only my militias Commander seems to pick up good armor.
Some are sparring in cloaks and mittens only like autistic Spartans.

The higher "ranked" members of a squad will prioritize the higher quality armor pieces, but unless you don't have your squads assigned to wear armor or specifically forbid them from metal armor should they do that.

Speaking of autistic Spartans, I like to have a squad of dedicated wrestlers who wear cloaks and pants and do nothing but spar in the middle of a dedicated arena in the middle of the dining hall. I pretend it's dwarf WWE :unsmith:

e: on an unrelated note, does anyone know if surface snow will melt if you pump magma to the level below it? I'm hoping someone can confirm this y/n before I flood my entire map with magma.

Catts fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 2, 2014

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Catts posted:

The higher "ranked" members of a squad will prioritize the higher quality armor pieces, but unless you don't have your squads assigned to wear armor or specifically forbid them from metal armor should they do that.

Speaking of autistic Spartans, I like to have a squad of dedicated wrestlers who wear cloaks and pants and do nothing but spar in the middle of a dedicated arena in the middle of the dining hall. I pretend it's dwarf WWE :unsmith:

e: on an unrelated note, does anyone know if surface snow will melt if you pump magma to the level below it? I'm hoping someone can confirm this y/n before I flood my entire map with magma.

Autistic Spartan uniform:
Bronze Helms
Bronze shields
loincloths
red cloaks
leather footwear
spears

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

GET OUT OF HERE D.E.V.L.O.G.

Toady One posted:

The August 2014 report is up and here is a Future of the Fortress reply. There was another reply earlier.

Capntastic of DF Talk fame interviewed me for the Mittani.

Mostly slow and adminnnny today, but here are a few things:

made dwarves forbid webs that are accessible but require pathing through unexplored areas
made buildings in burrows require a connectivity check when searching for items
made indicator for burrows show over hidden areas

quote:

Mission Status

:smugdog: You know, the only thing more incredible than the amount of generosity you have shown in the two years up till this last release is the reward you have presented afterwards! You know it's true value you are getting for your gifts. Tarn has been working like a machine for months, and it doesn't seem like you want him to stop!

Congratulations to the generous!

:iit:

quote:

Fun with Numbers

:frogc00l: Wow, that's pretty good. I hope you are enjoying the new version. It has been an exciting month. We sent out 80 crayon art rewards in July, and there are another 20 to draw! August promises to be a bug-fixery time. We've also mentioned that we'd get to fruit harvesting, dwarf-sized equipment in wg forts, a 64 bit test, various small suggestions (mostly with the interface), and a dwarf thought rewrite leading into job priorities, but it is hard to say when those will begin or otherwise be intertwined with all the bug squashing. It could be we handle a few of those this time, or it could just be bugs. We'll be working on bugs for some time yet, overall.

July: $15273.52
June: $4938.74

Dag. Broke the 34.01 record by about $3000.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 2, 2014

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I was wondering what the donations total for Toady would be since he actually got a release out: $15273.52, pretty good.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Catts posted:

That could be it; I didn't know they would do that. I guess I won't bother manually assigning weapons anymore.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

fruit harvesting, dwarf-sized equipment in wg forts, a 64 bit test, various small suggestions (mostly with the interface), and a dwarf thought rewrite leading into job priorities

:v::v::v:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Catts posted:

What do they do if there is a -Steel helm-, a +Bronze helm+ and a *Copper helm*?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Sky Shadowing posted:

I was wondering what the donations total for Toady would be since he actually got a release out: $15273.52, pretty good.

holy poo poo

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Dwarf Fortress kickstarter, I can smell it from here.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Angela Christine posted:

What do they do if there is a -Steel helm-, a +Bronze helm+ and a *Copper helm*?

xXcave toad leather capXx

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Malcolm posted:

Dwarf Fortress kickstarter, I can smell it from here.

I don't know what the Kickstarter would even be for. Toady already makes enough to live off of DF and work on it full time, and he's already reluctant to share his code with anyone so I don't imagine he would do a Kickstarter to hire some help.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

hahaha oh my, units can jump in fortress mode now. Farewell, Leakedanvils, done in by a goblin siege jumping over a moat.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

thunderspanks posted:

hahaha oh my, units can jump in fortress mode now. Farewell, Leakedanvils, done in by a goblin siege jumping over a moat.

They can also climb, so simple 1 height constructed walls won't help either. I do believe that adding a lip to the wall foils climbers, though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

thunderspanks posted:

They cannot however climb walls that are smoothed or made out of blocks.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Vertical bars work fine too.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

I don't know what the Kickstarter would even be for. Toady already makes enough to live off of DF and work on it full time, and he's already reluctant to share his code with anyone so I don't imagine he would do a Kickstarter to hire some help.

Only thing a Kickstarter would accomplish would be the media declaring DF a failure when a final version doesn't come out a year after the KS ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
What is the 64 bit test he mentions?