Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Not this has anything to do with anything, but I've always disliked that particular color scheme for Space Wolves. I dunno why but I've never much cared for that particular shade of blue. I always think they look better when they tilt towards the "gray" side of the scale, like these dudes I found after a cursory Google Image search.

:hfive: I don't always paint Space Wolves, but when I do, I paint them this way. You can see some of mine not too far back in this thread, if you haven't already. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

spacegoat posted:

Looking forward to a literal Batwing whenever Blood Angels get redone.

They will get a chariot for their HQs and it will be a space dracula coffin and I will buy it without even seeing the rules.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

JerryLee posted:

Wolf Lord Hrafnir Moon Moon

Moon Priest Kellfart Mineral Wolf

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

JerryLee posted:

:hfive: I don't always paint Space Wolves, but when I do, I paint them this way. You can see some of mine not too far back in this thread, if you haven't already. :)

I'll have to take a look! :) I think I first saw that particular color scheme on a Wolf Lord waaaay back in the 3rd ed. days, and I thought it looked a thousand times better than the light blue scheme GW tends to favor.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Pacheeco posted:

They will get a chariot for their HQs and it will be a space dracula coffin and I will buy it without even seeing the rules.

Imagine The Black Coach being pulled by giant bats with Mephiston at the helm.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Boon posted:

Imagine The Black Coach being pulled by giant bats with Mephiston at the helm.

But how many angel wings will it have?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

Are we just counting the main angel wings, or the smaller wings attached to the main ones?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

JerryLee posted:

Are we just counting the main angel wings, or the smaller wings attached to the main ones?

What about the wings on the new Archangel missiles?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Not a viking posted:

Wolfcutter chariot, ho!

Well, I'm back now. I have been looking for something appropriately Saturday Morning Cartoony to build as an opposing faction to my Dark Eldar forever, and here comes what is clearly a Some-Assembly-Required He-Man toy in a faction that already has flying Snoopy heads.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

theironjef posted:

Well, I'm back now. I have been looking for something appropriately Saturday Morning Cartoony to build as an opposing faction to my Dark Eldar forever, and here comes what is clearly a Some-Assembly-Required He-Man toy in a faction that already has flying Snoopy heads.

Wizard van Space Wolves? :getin:

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Dump_Stat posted:

Is there a consensus on whether or not Thousand Sons are worth using in 7e? They still seem really over costed to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

Sadly, they are not very good. Not unusably bad, but they're definitely not something you will see on the tabletop very often. AP3 Bolters are nice if you can get them close enough, but they are paying a ton of points for the privilege. The standard squad guys aren't actually too horrible- if you could just buy units of them, you'd actually have a fairly reasonable unit that, while not top-tier, would at least have a useful role and some meaningful advantages. In an age of Ignores Cover, that 4++ isn't a bad thing and cutting through armor saves like butter is nice.

The problem, though, is the huge weight around their neck that is the Aspiring Sorcerer. He costs almost as much as an HQ-level Sorcerer, and yet has significantly worse stats (one wound, WS4.) Worse yet, as a ML1 psyker with the Mark of Tzeentch, he is required to roll his one and only power on that lovely table... and only one of the three powers is any good for him. Back when you had a 50% chance of getting Doombolt that was... well, it was better at least, because Doombolt is a pretty good power, but that's not the case anymore and so you'll usually get garbage you can't use/don't want. If he could roll on Telepathy, or Divination, or Maelific, or something cool like that? It'd be another story. But the Tzeentch table is awful.

Safety Factor posted:

Back in the 3.5 book, Thousand Sons had 2 wounds instead of an invulnerable save. It made them really resilient to small arms, but things like krak missiles or lascannons would still take them out. I wouldn't mind seeing a return to that though it'd probably step on the plague marines' toes a little. As-is they just aren't tough enough to justify their cost. To be fair though, they didn't use to have AP3 bolters. I don't know how well the two would play out when combined.

Sadly, they had basically exactly the same problem back then- tougher than normal Marines, but not by enough to justify their absurd price tag. The fact that lots of armies are fielding rate-of-fire guns as their primary anti-infantry these days doesn't do them any favors, either; who cares about your invuln when you're just rolling twenty armor saves?

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, I think they would be a lot better with some sort of heavy weapon upgrade. I've always thought it'd be cool to give them a choice of taking AP3 heavy bolters or AP3 autocannons.

That would certainly help them, yeah. An AP3 Autocannon would be pretty badass, to be honest. Part of what makes Plague Marines and Noise Marines viable is that they both get good weapon upgrades- Berzerkers with their loving Plasma Pistols and Rubricae with their one-third-chance-of-a-Meltagun-for-50pts really can't even claim to be in the same league. Doesn't help any that Sorcerers of Tzeentch are awful, either.

Seriously, Tzeentch has the worst psykers in the CSM book. That's some bullshit right there.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

It will be pulled by giant disembodied angel wings.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
I think they are putting in chariots to justify printing a page for their rules.

The problem with the model is that Orks can loot it and make it look better.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

Wizard van Space Wolves? :getin:

Watch for the wolves to be in like mint green and electric purple colors because cartoon animals are never brown.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Raphus C posted:

I think they are putting in chariots to justify printing a page for their rules.

The problem with the model is that Orks can loot it and make it look better.

Then every model has that problem.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

spacegoat posted:

Looking forward to a literal Batwing whenever Blood Angels get redone.

I would switch immediately to Blood Angels if they had Bat Riders.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Those new paint job studio grey hunters have a few dudes armed with bolters and chainswords. But i dont see any bolt pistols and chainswords. Hrm.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

LingcodKilla posted:

Those new paint job studio grey hunters have a few dudes armed with bolters and chainswords. But i dont see any bolt pistols and chainswords. Hrm.

Don't normal marines come with bolt pistols + Bolters as standard? Might have migrated through to Grey Hunters.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

LingcodKilla posted:

Don't sweat it.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Oh wow! 100 new posts in the 40k thread?

It's because of a wolf hover chariot with a terminator axebeast rider?

I think we have reached peak 40k and I am completely happy with this.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

serious gaylord posted:

Then every model has that problem.

If that's a problem, I don't want a solution.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Does this mean they lost the super cheap +1 to attack?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Fix posted:

Don't sweat it.

That sucks. So effectivly losing an attack on the charge and every round after but you get an extra attack on being charged. I guess all good things must come back down to earth.

Yeah they are marginally different than regular marines now. I doubt they will remove the two special weapon option so thats the only reason to take them over regular squad.

Whole lot of people are gonna be pissed about having to remodel their now illegally geared troops. poo poo is bananas.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 2, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Oh, huh, so it's now standard that the "sergeant" in the unit is a wolf guard pack leader, rather than that being a special wolf guard rule?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

JerryLee posted:

Oh, huh, so it's now standard that the "sergeant" in the unit is a wolf guard pack leader, rather than that being a special wolf guard rule?

Orks are looking pretty drat good right about now. They at least dont have a dumbshit floating viking airship....

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

JerryLee posted:

Yeah, but the unit doesn't come with one by default.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Orks are looking pretty drat good right about now. They at least dont have a dumbshit floating viking airship....

The only problem with that chariot is that it isn't way bigger. If Space Wolves straight up had a floating Viking Longship that worked like a Land Raider I'd be pre-ordering three.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The only thing better than GW giving things names with "wolves" or "blood" in them are people making up there own things with worse names. "Wolf claws on a wolf wolf with blood blood angel wings" is really funny and I'm glad people still go on about it non-stop.

Also, that chariot is awesome.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Faith in GW restored. 40k is at its finest when it's tap-dancing on the line between silly and awesome.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

DO IT TO IT posted:

Yeah, but the unit doesn't come with one by default.

e: Never mind. Yeah, that is interesting. So I guess you'll have Wolf Guard that are the regular elites and Wolf Guard that were bought with other packs, even though they're the same kind of Space Wolf fluff-wise.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

That sucks. So effectivly losing an attack on the charge and every round after but you get an extra attack on being charged. I guess all good things must come back down to earth.

Yeah they are marginally different than regular marines now. I doubt they will remove the two special weapon option so thats the only reason to take them over regular squad.

Whole lot of people are gonna be pissed about having to remodel their now illegally geared troops. poo poo is bananas.
I would put money on they getting access to a chainsword at a point or two per model, just like Chaos Space Marines.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah I would seriously doubt they wouldn't get the option for Chainswords , that would be weird.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Cythereal posted:

Faith in GW restored. 40k is at its finest when it's tap-dancing on the line between silly and awesome.

That's not tap-dancing any lines. It's the silliest model I've ever seen. That doesn't mean it's not rad though

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Perhaps the wolves tap dance as they haul the floating space chariot along.

Space Wolfs on Ice? Little did we know they are the most artistic marine chapter.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
watch it be a CCB on steroids and everyone will learn to fear the puppy-puller-of-murder

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

theironjef posted:

Watch for the wolves to be in like mint green and electric purple colors because cartoon animals are never brown.
If you could get some full-on He-Man on Battlecat action with Canis Wolfborn, I think I'd paypal you :20bux: just out of respect.

Von Humboldt posted:

I would put money on they getting access to a chainsword at a point or two per model, just like Chaos Space Marines.
That's what I'm thinking.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it turns the guy into a absolute beast or at least adds a few attacks.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

That wolf chariot is the dumbest model I've ever seen, I love it.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004
Speaking of Chariots: If a Burning Chariot Jinks, is the Exalted Flamer rider forced to Snap Shoot? There's nothing that states occupants of a transport are forced to Snap Shoot if a Skimmer Transport claims a Jink save (a nice boost to Ghost Arks and Dark Eldar transports), but Exalted Flamers aren't traditional "occupants" per se. However a chariot rider's shooting attack is separate from the actual chariot vehicle's shooting attack (if it has one) so ?????

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Came to post about murderwolfdreadwolf wolfnaught and am staying for the wolfchariot of wolfenstien. :munch:

• Locked thread