Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

sweart gliwere posted:

I've always thought the "add more neglected weapons" mods made sense. If there aren't going to be any awesome clubs/spears/etc (in a game where your character can literally ascend to godhood) it seems dumb to just accept that the player never encounters top-notch stuff in their chosen proficiencies. Sure it's an easy enough game, but you shouldn't be punished because you invested in some 'wrong' weapon style, and you shouldn't have to meta-game by letting the original weapon pool shape your upgrade choices.

"You know what I'm talking about! I'm the freshest God in the pantheon, I've defeated every opponent and explored every dungeon before my ascension, but I just never managed to find a decent club. [Seinfeld]What's the deal with clubs?[/Seinfeld]"

Well... having, say, the best available sword on par with the best available club wouldn't make much sense. Clubs are just that - sticks that anyone can use. Just like long bows are (on average) better than short bows or slings but only a few classes can use them.

There are good enough clubs available (including a very powerful Club of Detonation that you can combine with fire resistances for a lot of fun), just none in the top-tier weapon category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Kubla Khan posted:

Well... having, say, the best available sword on par with the best available club wouldn't make much sense. Clubs are just that - sticks that anyone can use. Just like long bows are (on average) better than short bows or slings but only a few classes can use them.

It's not so much about wanting every greatsword to have some equally-powerful club just as available, but it's pretty silly to have no option of a +5 in several of the available weapon categories. Staffs are sticks as well, and they certainly don't top out at +3. I'd assume anyone who progresses from zero to god should have access to at least one +5 weapon in their specialties. Even if 99.99% of that category is improvised garbage for small-time thugs, the protagonist has explored a continent and seen some crazy stuff. They escaped from hell multiple times, and even visited a patch of Athas.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
That would be fine if, say, a pip in clubs wasn't exactly the same as a pip in bastard swords. But it is, so the weapon availability and power really should reflect that.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

sweart gliwere posted:

It's not so much about wanting every greatsword to have some equally-powerful club just as available, but it's pretty silly to have no option of a +5 in several of the available weapon categories. Staffs are sticks as well, and they certainly don't top out at +3. I'd assume anyone who progresses from zero to god should have access to at least one +5 weapon in their specialties. Even if 99.99% of that category is improvised garbage for small-time thugs, the protagonist has explored a continent and seen some crazy stuff. They escaped from hell multiple times, and even visited a patch of Athas.

Clubs aren't cool enough. I think that's it, basically.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

So like what is their master plan? They want illithids + slaves armed in human skin armor to take over the city?

Scanned the 2e Amn book, and the only really relevant thing about illithid in there is a note that the Amnians care so much more about wealth than the rest of the setting (and so much less about things like mind rape, a fascistic slavebased multistellar empire, or the eating of sentient beings) that a richly dressed illithid will be quite welcome wherever it goes as long as it's not breaking the law. Much more than a shabbily dressed dwarf.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

So like what is their master plan? They want illithids + slaves armed in human skin armor to take over the city?
Why assume that there is a master plan? Their organization could simply be managing multiple independent projects. They could be using the slave trade to raise money, be assisting the Illithids for the same reason the player does (to benefit from their psionic powers) and maybe one of their warriors simply wanted to have a spiffy new suit of armor.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

sweart gliwere posted:

Well, at a high level like that in D&D one should be able to craft pretty much any conceivable non-artifact item (correct me if I'm wrong as I've only played 3rd ed in PnP). As it is, though, weapon enchantment bonus isn't that big of a deal in BG2 anyway. Belm is only +2, Celestial Fury +3, and both are the cream of the crop in their respective weapon categories.

I do agree clubs should have seen (a lot) more variety throughout the games (like, adding some interesting effects to make them a viable niche weapon class), but not necessarily that they should have been a versatile endgame-tier weapon with a lot of pluses attached to compete with fighter-only weapon types.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Factor_VIII posted:

Why assume that there is a master plan?

It is, after all, a video game

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Wilde Jagd posted:

I have a pretty weird bug in my game - parts of Haer'Dalis's dialogue have replaced weapon descriptions!

There's a bug in your dialog.tlk

What mods have you installed?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I found out that you can have an abortion in the IwD2 NPC mod

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Does the mod also give you the option to picket the abortion clinic?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Factor_VIII posted:

Does the mod also give you the option to picket the abortion clinic?

Just don't pick-pocket it, gets real gross real fast.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I always just assumed Tor'Gal was working for Firkraag, since that dude had a hard-on for stealing land holdings and employed a troll or two. Then again, umber hulk shock troops are illithid bread and butter

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I found the gay Keldorn romance!

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Bloody poo poo, I remember when she was posting that around the BG sites as an idea outline. Really twelve years ago?

I, uh, actually thought it wasn't awful then. Do I dare check?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
She actually did pretty good on getting Keldorn's voice right, at least until he starts full on loving you, and, well, I think it's not too terrible. :shobon: Plus I can't stay mad at a writer who acknowledges that her story will create conflicts and writes ideas on how to fix this :3:

Wilde Jagd
Jan 2, 2014

by XyloJW

The Iron Rose posted:

There's a bug in your dialog.tlk

What mods have you installed?

I'm using Isra NPC, Weimer's item upgrades, and the BG2 TweakPack. I'm pretty sure it might be a BG2 tweakpack issue though.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Every human being deserves respect. Even if if they are a little different.
Well, after days of preparation for playing BG1EE, I decided gently caress it and started up Icewind Dale instead, and man, something about that game makes it immediately more gripping for me as a newbie than Baldur's Gate. Something about getting all my party members straight out of the gate and the game immediately slamming me hordes of enemies to crush and get level-ups from makes it awesome.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

IWD and IWD 2 both hit the ground running. They do a great job of giving you a ton of fun stuff to focus on right at the outset with a minimum of fuss.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
IWD was one of the quicker introductions to action of an era known for rat bashing, on par with BG2 in spite of being low level AD&D instead of midlevel.

IWD2 then decides both of those are way to slow and sticks you in the middle of a siege.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

I was going to ask how well written those mods are, as the idea of having a premade party for IWD1/2 seemed like a good one, but well, that seems to answer that question.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Jygallax posted:

Well, after days of preparation for playing BG1EE, I decided gently caress it and started up Icewind Dale instead, and man, something about that game makes it immediately more gripping for me as a newbie than Baldur's Gate. Something about getting all my party members straight out of the gate and the game immediately slamming me hordes of enemies to crush and get level-ups from makes it awesome.

It probably helps that the backgrounds in Icewind Dale look so drat good too, especially compared to all the generic grassland you tromp through for about 90% of early BG1.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Wilde Jagd posted:

I'm using Isra NPC, Weimer's item upgrades, and the BG2 TweakPack. I'm pretty sure it might be a BG2 tweakpack issue though.

With BGEE then it's almost certainly a problem with the tweakpack. I don't recall offhand which of the options bugs out on BG:EE I'm afraid. Uninstall, verify and reinstall the lot of them and make sure to avoid the broken one. Your saves should still work, and more importantly, your dialog.tlk will be fixed. A bug there can completely wreck your game, and you're pretty lucky it's only hit the item descriptions so far.

Wolfsheim posted:

It probably helps that the backgrounds in Icewind Dale look so drat good too, especially compared to all the generic grassland you tromp through for about 90% of early BG1.

To be fair it's really pretty generic grassland.

Wilde Jagd
Jan 2, 2014

by XyloJW

The Iron Rose posted:

With BGEE then it's almost certainly a problem with the tweakpack. I don't recall offhand which of the options bugs out on BG:EE I'm afraid. Uninstall, verify and reinstall the lot of them and make sure to avoid the broken one. Your saves should still work, and more importantly, your dialog.tlk will be fixed. A bug there can completely wreck your game, and you're pretty lucky it's only hit the item descriptions so far.

Actually, I reinstalled and everything works fine (so far). I think something borked during installation.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

To be fair it's really pretty generic grassland.

But still, grass land. No doubt that BG 1 had way too much open space. It was kinda cool that the entire world was more or less contiguous, but a lot of those maps had maybe one of things do and that was it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Wilde Jagd posted:

Actually, I reinstalled and everything works fine (so far). I think something borked during installation.

Fair enough. The verification was just to make sure in case the backups failed.

Skippy McPants posted:

But still, grass land. No doubt that BG 1 had way too much open space. It was kinda cool that the entire world was more or less contiguous, but a lot of those maps had maybe one of things do and that was it.

Oh I agree. BGII's maps were much better in that regard. But it still stands up to the test of time in a way not much else does.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I'm the opposite - I love the open world feel of BG1. It gave such a feeling of actual exploration, and if they'd crammed each area with a bunch of quests and NPCs it would've hardly felt like wilderness. It wasn't really done well again until Morrowind.

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib

Wilde Jagd posted:

I had the same thing happen, and I'm pretty sure it's the armor components in the Rule Changes category making this happen. It works without any problems if you install the TweakPack Rule Changes component last -- as in, install everything, install the TweakPack but skip the Rule Changes component, then run the installer again and install only the Rule Changes components.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ok so I just started IWD 2, and I want to know if I'm screwed myself or if I have a decent party.

Paladin
Fighter
Rogue (bows)
Cleric
Wizard
Monk

In the first game the Monk was a Ranger with bows, and the Rogue had daggers and was a constant liability. He would never get his backstabs and would always get owned as soon as he got into melee.

Should I switch out the Monk for another Ranger? Druid? Barbarian? Or will the Monk become a super high damage high speed damage dealer?

Also what levels will I be hitting in IWD 2?

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Jastiger posted:

Ok so I just started IWD 2, and I want to know if I'm screwed myself or if I have a decent party.

Paladin
Fighter
Rogue (bows)
Cleric
Wizard
Monk

In the first game the Monk was a Ranger with bows, and the Rogue had daggers and was a constant liability. He would never get his backstabs and would always get owned as soon as he got into melee.

Should I switch out the Monk for another Ranger? Druid? Barbarian? Or will the Monk become a super high damage high speed damage dealer?

Also what levels will I be hitting in IWD 2?

The trick with iwd2 more divine casters is better than less. If you're wanting a fun party try a level of monk then go full druid. Use wild shapes for your primary damage later on, and beast claw will carry you well through the beginning. Try a level of rogue on your wizard for the find traps and locks duty, and consider replacing your rogue with a bard. For front liners try going one level of fighter then cleric. If you're dead set on a rogue try adding a level of fighter foe the feats. But the monk->druid is a really fun build, I recommend it. My last game wad 6 monk druids and it was the easiest run I've had.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Jastiger posted:

Looks fine to me. I don't think you'll have any problems. Your Rogue might not prove a great damage dealer so you might want to add a few fighter levels, but I've played IWD2 with a pure rogue in a 4 member party and had no problems. Note that Paladins are good party faces, but they and Monks will refuse rewards offered to the party if they're the ones talking. The game throws tons of money at you, but keep this fact in mind. Also, you can's infiltrate a certain enemy stronghold if you have a paladin and have to fight them straight on (but that is fairly minor as you'll probably end up fighting them anyway).

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MegaGatts posted:

The trick with iwd2 more divine casters is better than less. If you're wanting a fun party try a level of monk then go full druid. Use wild shapes for your primary damage later on, and beast claw will carry you well through the beginning. Try a level of rogue on your wizard for the find traps and locks duty, and consider replacing your rogue with a bard. For front liners try going one level of fighter then cleric. If you're dead set on a rogue try adding a level of fighter foe the feats. But the monk->druid is a really fun build, I recommend it. My last game wad 6 monk druids and it was the easiest run I've had.

How does the multi classing work in IWD2? IF I have a level of rogue, how high can I get the find traps/pick locks ability? I find the mages are most powerful when they can go PURE WIZARD and get all of the spells that way instead of being restricted with armor types and the like.

Replacing with a bard sounds like fun though....can a bard find traps/pick locks?

Does a monk lose the monk abilities once they go full druid?

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Jastiger posted:

How does the multi classing work in IWD2? IF I have a level of rogue, how high can I get the find traps/pick locks ability? I find the mages are most powerful when they can go PURE WIZARD and get all of the spells that way instead of being restricted with armor types and the like.

Replacing with a bard sounds like fun though....can a bard find traps/pick locks?

Does a monk lose the monk abilities once they go full druid?

IWD2 is a totally different beast than any other infinity engine game. When a character multiclasses they keep all the abilities of the original class and you pick each class at each level up. For example, I could go one level fighter, two levels rogue, then back to fighter. An important thing to look out for is each races favored class. You get an exp penalty for multi classing in anything except for favored classes. That being said, regular humans have any for their favored class. For the Monk Druid that means they keep the wisdom bonus to ac, and that bonus sticks around in wild shape. So it's basically a free 5-6 ac. As far as the mage goes, you can put points into find traps, lockpicks, ect. as anyother class. The mage will have high intelligence so they'll get a lot of points to spend just make sure you have a high int. dex. mage. 18 int, 16 dex or so. And yeah, losing one level of caster sucks, but I find the versatility more useful than an extra level of spell casting usually. In the monk druid example, it's very conceivable to have 30+ ac at level 6. That makes them insane tanks.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Note that there's no need to multiclass in IWD2. I didn't bother doing any multiclassing in any of my playthroughs (as I generally prefer pure class characters) and had no problems with the game. If anything, sticking to one class is a good way to play it safe if you aren't familiar with the 3E rules system, since there's no risk of making an unfavorable class combination.

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.
What soundsets do you guys use for your PC?

Baldur's Gate II's soundsets are so much shittier than BG1's - Male02 is great, but after 10 years of using nothing but that soundset I'm getting pretty tired of it. I've thought about importing the BG1 soundset (and it placates the :spergin: in me since my PC keeps the same voice throughout the trilogy), but it's kind of a bummer how few lines he has compared to the BG2 soundsets).

I guess I could pull some from IWD2 but that sounds like a hell of a lot of work.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MegaGatts posted:

IWD2 is a totally different beast than any other infinity engine game. When a character multiclasses they keep all the abilities of the original class and you pick each class at each level up. For example, I could go one level fighter, two levels rogue, then back to fighter. An important thing to look out for is each races favored class. You get an exp penalty for multi classing in anything except for favored classes. That being said, regular humans have any for their favored class. For the Monk Druid that means they keep the wisdom bonus to ac, and that bonus sticks around in wild shape. So it's basically a free 5-6 ac. As far as the mage goes, you can put points into find traps, lockpicks, ect. as anyother class. The mage will have high intelligence so they'll get a lot of points to spend just make sure you have a high int. dex. mage. 18 int, 16 dex or so. And yeah, losing one level of caster sucks, but I find the versatility more useful than an extra level of spell casting usually. In the monk druid example, it's very conceivable to have 30+ ac at level 6. That makes them insane tanks.

Good to know, thanks. I didn't know if it negated some other things. So once I have one level in rogue, can I keep putting points into pick lock/find traps? Or am I limited to only so many ranks since technically its 1 level of rogue and the rest are wizard?

The monk druid thing sounds pretty sweet, but almost cheating, haha.

Edit: Oh yeah and what is the max level going to end up being?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Antignition posted:

What soundsets do you guys use for your PC?

I guess I could pull some from IWD2 but that sounds like a hell of a lot of work.

Lucky for you, plenty of pre-made soundset packs are available: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_soundsets.php

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I guess it just points to how often I *don't* use Jaheira that I only noticed this now, but I take it Harper's Call is bugged to death in BG2EE? Casting it seems to hurt Jaheira, but doesn't actually raise anyone from the dead.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Good to know, thanks. I didn't know if it negated some other things. So once I have one level in rogue, can I keep putting points into pick lock/find traps? Or am I limited to only so many ranks since technically its 1 level of rogue and the rest are wizard?

The monk druid thing sounds pretty sweet, but almost cheating, haha.

Edit: Oh yeah and what is the max level going to end up being?

Somewhere around 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

I guess it just points to how often I *don't* use Jaheira that I only noticed this now, but I take it Harper's Call is bugged to death in BG2EE? Casting it seems to hurt Jaheira, but doesn't actually raise anyone from the dead.
Now that you mention it, I remember encountering this bug in BG2EE as well.