Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Max Wilco posted:

Speaking of the Metro games, I've noticed that both Metro 2033 & Metro: Last Light have Redux versions coming out in August. The page description says that 2033 will be updated into the same engine as Last Light, but does anyone know if Last Last Redux will have any changes, other than the inclusion of all the DLC?

New full body animations and a new difficulty mode for a more survival-horror experience. I think there was something else, but that should be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

Isometric is third person, though?

Fine, have it your way.

I TAR-PIG, the Isometric Third-person Action Role-Playing Interactive Game.

You know what I meant!

That acronym is almost worth it though.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

is anyone else playing lovely planet? i can't figure out how to green star 3-2

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
The remake of Abe's Odyssey is out. But it's not on Steam. It doesn't even have a page! I heard it was coming out for PC though so what's going on? :(

Orv
May 4, 2011

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

The remake of Abe's Odyssey is out. But it's not on Steam. It doesn't even have a page! I heard it was coming out for PC though so what's going on? :(

PS4 first, literally everything else to follow.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Lance Streetman posted:

It's one of those weird divides between western RPGs and JRPGs. Among western RPGs, an Action RPG is usually a Diablo clone. Among JRPGs, an Action RPG is usually something like Ys or Kingdom Hearts. Amalur seems to be more of the latter, from what I've seen.

JARPGS and WARPGS clearly.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

necrodancer is good. strong "one more run" factor

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
http://store.steampowered.com/app/307010/

This looks kinda interesting.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Why?

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.
How often does Steam update? I'm on a very limited data connection so I keep Steam in offline mode, but it seems every time I get on my computer it's downloaded another update. I swear it updated twice today.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Watommi posted:

How often does Steam update? I'm on a very limited data connection so I keep Steam in offline mode, but it seems every time I get on my computer it's downloaded another update. I swear it updated twice today.

I get this too, so you're not going insane.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Watommi posted:

It's not really consistent. Sometimes they update a lot and sometimes they don't update for a week. There were 2 updates today.

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001

Watommi posted:

If you are in the beta program you should probably opt out.

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.
If I opt out do I lose in-home streaming? Cause I use that.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Standard warning to everyone; the newly released Z: Steel Soldiers is going to be the same as the original release of Z on Steam in that it's a port of the iOS version :fuckoff:

The developers at least have put some effort in to attempt to clean up some more of the lovely touch screen aspects of the original release but you still have to ask the question of why these aren't releases of the original PC versions.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I mentioned it a while back, but it kinda got lost in the crowd. Bundlestars are selling Early Access keys for Shadowrun Online - the OTHER kickstarter-funded Shadowrun game - for two thirds off. $10. Contrary to what the title might imply, this seems to be a campaign/story focused game.

This one is only for those who feel like living on the edge, or throwing a few bucks at the hope of another good Shadowrun game on the market. Be advised that it is currently VERY alpha at the moment and effectively is just an (unfinished) tutorial campaign right now. The official dev site says that Beta won't be happening until the end of this year at earliest, and launch probably a few months beyond that.

Something for Shadowrun fans to consider, at least.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 2, 2014

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Orv posted:

PS4 first, literally everything else to follow.

When? :(

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Watommi posted:

If I opt out do I lose in-home streaming? Cause I use that.

I believe in-home streaming is no longer in beta.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ehhhh.... Nah.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xT2rG_sLUc

It's nice to see games made from those "learn to program video games" books can make it big on Steam.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Been playing through Edna and Harvey: The Breakout recently and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone that likes tons of flavor text in their adventure games and can deal with a clunky, old-school point-and-click. You can use every item in your inventory on every hotspot in the game and get mostly unique dialogue, along with the various adventure game use/pick up/look/talk stuff. Since the game is about escaping an insane asylum, Edna can talk to literally everything: sinks, grates, forks, whatever. I'm really blown away with the amount of flavor text considering this was a debut game for Daedlic.

There's also a lot of detailed little things like being able to use a pen on various objects and Edna will write her name or some type of graffiti on it or how you can use the mustard/ketchup and put food stains on things. It has zero impact, but it's a cool little touch. I feel like it's going to take me forever to finish the game since I walk into a room and then spend 10 minutes using random items on things. The character designs certainly look rough but I find them to have a decent dose of charm. It's really just a charming game all-together so far.

Also started playing Valdis Story and holy poo poo does the level up/choose skill sound effect remind of the one used in The Witcher 1, or at least it does in my hazy memory.

Orv
May 4, 2011

:shrug:

Dominic White posted:

I mentioned it a while back, but it kinda got lost in the crowd. Bundlestars are selling Early Access keys for Shadowrun Online - the OTHER kickstarter-funded Shadowrun game - for two thirds off. $10. Contrary to what the title might imply, this seems to be a campaign/story focused game.

This one is only for those who feel like living on the edge, or throwing a few bucks at the hope of another good Shadowrun game on the market. Be advised that it is currently VERY alpha at the moment and effectively is just an (unfinished) tutorial campaign right now. The official dev site says that Beta won't be happening until the end of this year at earliest, and launch probably a few months beyond that.

Something for Shadowrun fans to consider, at least.

Just to warn, even for an alpha MMO product, I have heard bad, bad things.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's nice to see games made from those "learn to program video games" books can make it big on Steam.

I can't even make fun of this it's so bad. Haha holy poo poo.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

So I bought a Cannon Brawl two-pack to split with a friend but he changed his mind. Anyone want to pick up the 2nd copy? It goes for $10 but I'll do cheaper just to cut my losses. Let me know here or PM or http://steamcommunity.com/id/brownthunder !

Lemonpieman
Jan 18, 2010
Mount your friends was released a couple days ago, after being in greenlight limbo for a while.
It's pretty fuckin' great, so I made a thread for it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654808

It's $5 and you get to mount your friends. It's everything I ever wanted.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
I picked up The Room and had a chance to play it and so far it's a really cool game.

You're in a room with a 'puzzlebox/safe' that your goal is to open up. You do this by rotating and looking for various ways to slide, push, pull, move the puzzlebox around. It's all very intricate and logically put together and the movements/physics are crisp and enjoyable to see/'feel' in action.

Even objects you find can be manipulated and moved around (example, a key with a rotatable section to change the shape of the key to fit the keyhole; I found this to be a neat detail of the game that fits well within the setting.

I haven't finished it, am only about ~33% of the way through, but I'm hooked and so far the puzzles seem intuitive to solve, I haven't felt like I have to think like the devs that made the game to solve their puzzles I just have to play around with the box and try stuff and see what happens. So far most of the puzzles have been relatively 'linear' in that one puzzle leads to another one becoming accessible but due to the nature of the game (working your way through puzzles which unlock increasingly interior portions of this puzzle box) it make sense.

There is a hint system that's out of the way but available if you get stuck or need a little nudge in the right direction. Some hints are too vague, but you can get progressively more specific hints if you need them.

Graphics/mouse control are great (turn off lens flare though, it adds nothing to the game and only detracts) and the sound effects so far have been exactly what I would expect them to be as I solve my way into the interior of this puzzle box thing.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Evil Mastermind posted:

Soundtrack ripped from every PS1 era racing game ever made.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Blugh. The Fall had some really promising parts to it. It's a side scrolling exploration adventure game. You play an AI attempting to save your pilot by wandering through a derelict facility and getting help. The bad parts is that it's got really lovely combat attached to it. The gun doesnt register button presses at times and there's no indication if it's by design or just lousy inputs. The solutions to puzzles are incredibly obscure and if your monitor darkness is too low you wont even see them. You wander around having to scan for objects before you'll notice them and several times over the course of the game I've had to rely on walkthroughs to find objects disguised as environmental debris. The interaction hitbox is ridiculously tiny and the interface attached to it is terrible as well. Then there's that a huge 'moral choice' presented but there's really no alternative, and a goddamn cliffhanger ending with 'To be continued' plasted on the screen.

What started out as a supposed hard sci-fi adventure rammed head-first into lovely combat and the modern equivalent of pixel-hunting and trying to combine every object in your inventory with every other object. Terrible, avoid.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 2, 2014

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I think The Fall is pretty good despite the mediocre combat and clunky controls, and there was only one puzzle that I really had trouble with. For the most part the solutions to the puzzles are fairly logical as far as adventure game puzzles go. The flashlight mechanic to find points of interest seemed fine to me, considering that you have to use it to explore your surroundings anyway. I suppose if you got the game and weren't expecting an adventure game, then you might be disappointed. The atmosphere and the story are still really good, and I recommend that anyone who has any stomach at all for adventure games gives it a try.

FruitPunchSamurai fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 2, 2014

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Sivek posted:

You can use every item in your inventory on every hotspot in the game and get mostly unique dialogue, along with the various adventure game use/pick up/look/talk stuff.
Also, the original release had a ton of bugs and scripting errors which could render the game unwinnable if you have too much fun using stuff on stuff. That was later patched but only in the German Special Edition. A few years later they rolled the fixes into the English release, only they messed up again and now the endings and credits don't work there, and you need to look for a fan-made script fix.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Its also made in Java and has crashed on me and had weird loading issues. Very clunky compared to their later game engine.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Sivek posted:

Also started playing Valdis Story and holy poo poo does the level up/choose skill sound effect remind of the one used in The Witcher 1, or at least it does in my hazy memory.

Now that you mention it that screen kinda looks like the one from the Witcher, too.

Deuterious
Oct 17, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

Soundtrack ripped from every PS1 era racing game ever made.

Along with the graphics as well it seems.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
So I just spent a couple of days on Tomb Raider... That's definitely the most explosions and general destruction per dollar I have seen in a while. Pretty fun though!

Looks like there's a multiplayer component to the game - I'm guessing that's not going to be much good?

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I liked Dead Island until it turned into borderlands.

2 questions.

1. Which dead island is better? (I played the first on ps3) Does riptide stand alone with enough content to justify purchasing it over the first game?

2. Are there any mods that turn it more into a visceral, edge of your seat zombie smashing game? (the little rpg doodads like health sprites above enemies heads ruin it). I think I've seen talk of a mod that turns it from a spreadsheet into the game it was supposed to be.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Obligatory Dead Island video

I forget what mod this was but it was silly fun.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

NeoSeeker posted:

I liked Dead Island until it turned into borderlands.

So... you didn't like Dead Island at all?

Riptide isn't as good as the first one and use the Director's Cut mod, as previously stated.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
If you play Riptide, play as the new character and kick everything, it was actually pretty fun punting zombies into cars

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Bubz posted:

Looks like there's a multiplayer component to the game - I'm guessing that's not going to be much good?
It died like the second week after release. It was funny because they just kept pumping out those scheduled multiplayer-only DLCs into the void :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Croccers posted:

Obligatory Dead Island video

I forget what mod this was but it was silly fun.

I, hm. I might have to play Dead Island again.

Related: Techland apparently streaming footage of Hellraid today/tomorrow. (4PM PST, 7PM EST, 11PM GMT)

Orv fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Aug 2, 2014

• Locked thread