Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?
Let's B careful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

##Vote A

Rome shall be the Middle Kingdom of the West.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Question for Rincewind: If the nays have it, does this preclude Sinicization for the rest of EU4? Or if the opportunity arises will we have another vote on it?

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom
##Vote A

Ogianres
Oct 21, 2008
I don't mind not Sinicizing as long as we end up adopting Mandarin in a Tetra-lingual Literacy Act. That being said:
##Vote A

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
##Vote B

We have our pride.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Soup du Jour posted:

Question for Rincewind: If the nays have it, does this preclude Sinicization for the rest of EU4? Or if the opportunity arises will we have another vote on it?

I will probably have a second vote in the lategame when we're getting our ducks in a row for Victoria 2-- if we're even behind enough in tech to even attempt it. It's actually pretty easy for 120% tech speed tags to keep up with Chinese-- I've just been doing lots of things that have been sucking up ADM points like crazy (humanist ideas, coring provinces-- especially Verona, since HRE has hostile core creation penalty ideas-- raising stability though all the horirble things that happened in the early game, etc.) and generally doing a piss-poor job managing monarch points.

ConConHead
Apr 9, 2007
Geek-Girl
##Vote A

If we truly cling to the past, we would still be burning bulls to Zeus and trading in slaves while we drape ourselves in bedlinens!

Uh, No offence to the Hellenistic Restoration

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

ConConHead posted:

##Vote A

If we truly cling to the past, we would still be burning bulls to Zeus and trading in slaves while we drape ourselves in bedlinens!

When did we stop wearing togas or trading in slaves?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

We ditched the togas millenia ago (they were really really impractical for most things); now everyone wears what they like in senate, which makes us look like Medieval Justice League.

Still do the slave thing. Running out of them, though, we should go adventuring for more of them *wink wink*.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

When did we stop wearing togas or trading in slaves?

It's still technically the senate uniform and my family still has their eunuchs, like any proper household.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

ConConHead posted:

##Vote B

There's a difference between being accepting of cultural and technological advancement and outright adopting another culture wholesale. The senate itself is a Roman tradition, if we are going to adopt the trappings of the far east for the sake of expediency we might as well just disband the whole body and hand power over to a bunch of Chinese trained bureaucrats!

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Rincewind posted:

I will probably have a second vote in the lategame when we're getting our ducks in a row for Victoria 2-- if we're even behind enough in tech to even attempt it. It's actually pretty easy for 120% tech speed tags to keep up with Chinese-- I've just been doing lots of things that have been sucking up ADM points like crazy (humanist ideas, coring provinces-- especially Verona, since HRE has hostile core creation penalty ideas-- raising stability though all the horirble things that happened in the early game, etc.) and generally doing a piss-poor job managing monarch points.

Gotcha. In that case I must break ranks with my fellow Inclusionists and ##Vote B. We should be focusing on improving our administration and replacing the douxes with a more inclusive, meritorious way of lower-level governance.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Soup du Jour posted:

Gotcha. In that case I must break ranks with my fellow Inclusionists and ##Vote B.

What am I, chopped liver?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

##Vote A.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

TheMcD posted:

What am I, chopped liver?

Whoops, there's so few of us I guess I should be a little more aware of who's voting for what. :shobon:

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

## Vote B.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Going to join in and ## Vote A. It will hurt far more if we wait longer, and I want to see what a Roman Meiji Restoration would look like.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

For many long hours I pondered this question the Empress has put to us. Whether to Sinicize or not?

I am a member of Monternos. We are concerned with the technological progress and well-being of the Empire. To sinicize would grant us a great opportunity: A shortcut to technological parity with the strongest nations of the world. Some in this august body claim that to sinicize would be a total abandonment of Roman values and I might dispute that. The Empire was not born fully formed, as Pallas Athena supposedly was, springing forth from the womb of the world as she did from her father's forehead. No, it grew over time, and much of its might was based on the fact that it was willing to accept technological and cultural advances rather than clinging to the status quo. Perhaps to sinicize is the next step in that evolution of our great Empire, claiming systems that have been proven to work elsewhere and incorporating them here.

And yet... I look upon Rome now, and I don't see an Empire stuck in a technological quagmire. Our Rome is not regressive, or backwards. Our Rome is making bold steps forward on its own. I am foremost concerned with the technological progress of the Empire... but I don't see an Empire that needs to progress through sinicizing. There would be some peripheral advantages to making the changes, but I fear the sacrifices we may make to what make us Rome may be too much. And I enjoy the direction Rome is going.

Friends, Romans, Countrymen, fellow Senators. Lend me your ears. I plead with you to vote with your heart on this. My mind considers the advantages Rome may gain from sinicizing. But my heart cries out to me that, at this point, the sacrifice is not worth it. ##vote b

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

JT Jag posted:

For many long hours I pondered this question the Empress has put to us. Whether to Sinicize or not?

I am a member of Monternos. We are concerned with the technological progress and well-being of the Empire. To sinicize would grant us a great opportunity: A shortcut to technological parity with the strongest nations of the world. Some in this august body claim that to sinicize would be a total abandonment of Roman values and I might dispute that. The Empire was not born fully formed, as Pallas Athena supposedly was, springing forth from the womb of the world as she did from her father's forehead. No, it grew over time, and much of its might was based on the fact that it was willing to accept technological and cultural advances rather than clinging to the status quo. Perhaps to sinicize is the next step in that evolution of our great Empire, claiming systems that have been proven to work elsewhere and incorporating them here.

And yet... I look upon Rome now, and I don't see an Empire stuck in a technological quagmire. Our Rome is not regressive, or backwards. Our Rome is making bold steps forward on its own. I am foremost concerned with the technological progress of the Empire... but I don't see an Empire that needs to progress through sinicizing. There would be some peripheral advantages to making the changes, but I fear the sacrifices we may make to what make us Rome may be too much. And I enjoy the direction Rome is going.

Friends, Romans, Countrymen, fellow Senators. Lend me your ears. I plead with you to vote with your heart on this. My mind considers the advantages Rome may gain from sinicizing. But my heart cries out to me that, at this point, the sacrifice is not worth it. ##vote b

Well said and well spoken, Senator. Rome shall continue forging its own path, and long may that remain the case.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

ConConHead posted:

##Vote A

Hellenistic Restoration

Someone's obviously never burned a bull before. Really brings the whole family together, that.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Uh, some of my best parties revolve around burning a bull. I call it Bar Bi Klius!

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
As an aside from the vote, I looked at the map again and I noticed something.

Looks like it was not meant to last.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

StrifeHira posted:

As an aside from the vote, I looked at the map again and I noticed something.

Looks like it was not meant to last.

Sometimes Thailand does really well and dominates Southeast Asia for centuries.

This was not one of those times.

Anyway!

Patter Song
mcclay
LJN92
StrifeHira
WilliamAnderson
Akratic Method
RZApublican
GSD
Night10194
Ghetto Prince
Caustic Soda
LordGugs
Rubix Squid
Meinberg
Horsebanger
Luhood
Blackunknown
Frozen_flame
Sindai
Raserys
Hutter
ThatBasqueGuy
Not So Fast
Juvenalian.Satyr
tabris
shirunei
Shogeton
Freudian
aqu
Ogianres
ConConHead
NGDBSS
catlord
paragon1

sniper4625
Lord Cyrahzax
Mantis42
AJ_Impy
inscrutable horse
Tevery Best
Hitlers Gay Secret
Dire Wombat
YF-23
TheMcD
Flesnolk
Kor
NewMars
Samuel
BwenGun
WeaponGradeSadness
HiHo ChiRho
Vagon
Sparq
Pyroi
Erwin the German
Aeromancia
Technowolf
ZearothK
Gnooble
Beerdeer
Sky Shadowing
dongsbot 9000
Unwise_Cashew
Zikan
GunnerJ
Rejected Fate
Lynneth
Funky Valentine
AdventFalls
Sleep of Bronze
Soup du Jour
Alikchi
JT Jag

:siren: VOTE CLOSED, B wins, Senate session to begin shortly.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Today we voted to remain true to ourselves, to our people, to our Empire. I am gratified that the majority of the Senate chose wisely in choosing to forge our own path, not trail pathetically after the Ming threat to the East.

Ave Imperatrix!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Hellenistic Restoration

Perhaps we should consider Romanizing instead, really returning to our core values and principles...

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Hellenistic Restoration

Perhaps we should consider Romanizing instead, really returning to our core values and principles...

Alright, alright, when this is all over I'll gladly support a bill to re-introduce Toga Tuesdays. I only request that everyone wear underwear underneath.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Fujiwara defeat in Japan is the saddest result of the last update.
Though Silla seems to be doing well.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

REPORT ON THE STATUS OF THE EMPIRE, 1508

The Committees of State have compiled a collection of useful documents regarding the current status of the empire. Click here for our country panels and selected ledger pages.

EXECUTIVE SUMMARIES

THE VARANGIAN COMMITTEE
Defending Our Empire

The state of the imperial military is strong. We are among the most technologically advanced militaries of the Near West, and-- under favorable circumstances-- can beat Sinicized forces such as those of the Lai Ang.

While we recommend allowing our manpower to recover further before any offensive actions, we have more than enough in reserve to replenish losses in the event of an attack by a foreign power.

Should France attack us, however, we're still pretty much doomed. With our manpower reserves and superior numbers, we might win against Da Qin. Outlook unclear.

One other cause for concern is a lack of quality Roman generals. None of the greatest generals of the world are Roman.

THE VENETIAN COMMITTEE
Silver Rules The World

The Venetian Committee is the current leading faction of the imperial civil service.

We are currently allied with Lombardy, Hungary, and Poland. Poland's assistance has proven particularly valuable.

We are currently rivals with France, Da Qin, and the Papal State. France is by far the strongest of these states; however, they do not currently share a land border with us. The Holy Roman Empire was so thoroughly beaten by France in a recent war, and lost so much of its military, that they were no longer considered a valid rival to a nation of Rome's stature. Goodbye, Holy Roman Empire.

Our main trade port is Constantinople. We are steering trade towards it from Crimea and Alexandria. Our trade fleet is currently protecting trade in Alexandria; however, Da Qin is still the leading trade power in that trade node.

Ragusa is our only remaining vassal nation.

We are considered the third greatest of the powers of the world. We lag far behind France and the Ming, however. Also of note is that the Holy Roman Empire, decimated by France, has slipped far amongst its peers, leaving Pommerania-- arguably-- the dominant power of Germany.

THE PHANARIOTE COMMITTEE
Technology, Infrastructure, and Administration

(this ledger page only includes nations we've discovered, hence the absence of Ming, Silla, et al)
Thanks to Empress Theochariste's devotion to all things military, we are keeping pace with our peers in military technology. Our diplomatic technology is adequate. However, our administrative technology is rapidly becoming untenable for the administration of such a large empire and has lagged far behind that our neighbors, eastern and western alike.

On the other hand, the administrative attention we have paid to developing humanist institutions has done much to stabilize the empire and protect our religious and cultural minorities.

THE COMMITTEE OF ST. VALERIA
Christendom's Primer Inter Pares

Thanks to our superb humanist institutions, we have very little to worry about from the empire's Sunni minorities. Christian heretics such as the remaining adherents to the false Pope, however, are having a much more difficult being productive Roman citizens.

Within the Orthodox Church, we see absolutely no cause for concern. Constantinople's status as first among all the patriarchates of Christendom is uncontested. The theological outlook of all Europe bends to the Ecumenical Patriarch-- and, therefore, the imperial government's-- will. We have taken every step to stop the Patriarchate from exercising any sort of independent authority or forming a rival center of power within the empire.

Most importantly, tithes flow from lay members to their churches, to their bishops, and thence to ecumenical institutions such as the Order of the Sainted Emperors and, ultimately, to the Ecumenical Patriarch. We see no reason to expect commoners to alter this arrangement; they are willing to pay the price for the peace of mind that comes with leaving their salvation in the hands of their betters.

We're definitely sure this is what they think.

Kiev has claimed nominal status as defender of the faith, but their pretensions to leadership go unheeded.

We're sure.

THE COMMITTEE FOR IMPERIAL INTEGRITY
Security and Continuity of Government

Following the successes of Theochariste's military campaigns, the people are confident in the direction of the empire and we are enjoying a period of relative stability.

However, certain malcontents within the Orthodox church are openly expressing dissent with established doctrine and, more importantly, with their place in the empire.

There is a vague sense of discontent among the serfs, but they're of no account.

The current Discordian Pressure of the Roman Empire is 5.

The Senate Session is now open. Currently, Senators are deciding which party to join or renew their allegiance to.

To join a party, post ##Join (party name) and your chosen party's icon. Except for sitting party leaders, party leadership does not roll over from session to session. This is to prevent inactive senators from clogging the rolls! So if you joined a party in the last election, you'll need to join it again.

THE PARTIES OF THE BYZANTINE SENATE

I realize that some parties are changing leaders, so please consider the leaders listed to be acting leaders. For a party to change leaders, the current leader needs to ##Transfer Party Leadership to the new leader. Theoretically, a party leader can just unilaterally transfer leadership to any random person on a whim, although presumably you'll want to adopt some kind of internal procedure.

MONTERNOS PARTY

StrifeHira posted:

The Monternos Party was founded as a party dedicated to making sure the Roman Empire of the 15th century and beyond was not a Rome stuck in the past, but a Rome looking to the future. A "modern" Rome. As such they support and propose anything that can be used to update the current state of Rome, looking both to nations that have gained a technological edge as inspiration and to possible applications of existing technology within the state. New advances in warfare, seafaring, science, theology, and so forth are all supported by the Monternos Party.

LEADER: Senator S. Emilia Hira (StrifeHira)

ADVENTURER MERCHANTS

Funky Valentine posted:

The patricians of Venice have unfortunately all died in a tragic manure explosion (marked "From Yaroslavich", hm) and have been replaced by a younger, more outgoing group of glorified bankers. They've come together to found THE ADVENTURER MERCHANTStm, a party based around "THIthe following principles:

- To boldly go and seek out new lands
- To boldly go and exploit the poo poo out of these new lands
- To explore the whole world, and make all the money within it

The realms of Europe and Asia are boring! Get on a boat and find new realms! Join THE ADVENTURER MERCHANTStm today and get a free eyepatch!

LEADER: Senator Enrico "Moneybeard" Valentinius (FunkyValentine)

Fraternalists
Rejected Fate (LEADER)
LEADER: Senator Constantine Ischyrós (Jimmy4400nav)

Mongols and Merchants
LEADER: Senator Metiga Sallajer (Blackunknown) (LEADER)

Roman Enotita
LEADER: Senator Abydos Felicious (AdventFalls)

Craftsmen's League:
LEADER: Senator Matthias Vounómou (Meinberg)
Arbitrary Coin

NEW MARIANS

NewMars posted:

The New Marians were originally a cross-party faction devoted to the restoration of Roman standing armies. Now that this is accomplished, they are here to keep the army strong and the nobility weak. They are no jingoistic throwbacks, but men (and women, remember that we started with the gender equality mod on!) who seek to sustain the state through means military, which means taking all who will stand for Rome. To a lesser extent, they tend to harbor all sorts of republican dissidents, due to the Mars family's personal beliefs.

LEADER: Mars family (NewMars)

NEO-MILVIAN COALITION

AJ_Impy posted:

Adopting the banner of the Komemnian-era Milvians as a sign of their common cause, The Faithful, Unitas and the Ecclesiastical Movement pooled their resources in a mutual coalition to further the interests of the One True Church.

The Faithful
LEADER: Theophilus AJ Impy (AJ_Impy)

Unitas
LEADER: sniper4625

Ecclesiastical Movement
LEADER: YF-23

INCLUSIONIST PARTY

TheMcD posted:

What we want is a truly peaceful, stable and tolerant state. As such, we oppose any sort of expansion, be it diplomatic or militaristic (even diplomatic expansion brings turmoil to the realm). However, we would be open to this new practice called "colonization", if we were to find some sparsely populated land somewhere. We also oppose the expansion of the army, but aren't blinded so much that we don't realize that keeping an armed force around is necessary considering the dangers coming from abroad. Similar measures apply for the Black Chamber - aggressive intrigue is opposed, defensive intrigue for the stability of the realm is accepted. A certain focus on technological progress is accepted, but stability must come first. As for tolerance, we wish to support any and all other cultures or religions within the realm that aren't the "official" one and allow them to keep all their traditions and practices.

LEADER: TheMcD

THE DISCORDIANS

Some senators don't play well with others. With Yaroslav's old committee system dissolved, malcontents are again free to flock together and plot the downfall of the whole rotten system-- to roll the dice of fate, and hope Fortuna provides them with something better, something brighter, something new.

In addition, certain events ("events" in the sense of "things that happen in the thread or in-game", not the game mechanic of "events") may increase the pressure on the existing institutions of state. Think of it as a sort of meta-stability, maybe?

The total number of Discordian senators plus the current pressure is the Discordians' strength. If the strength is ever greater than the ruling party (or caucus of parties-- you might want to consider banding together if things get bad) the current system will fall apart and something different will happen.

Press button to blow up empire.

LEADER: NONE
PRESSURE: 5

Legislation
We will also begin the process of creating legislation. Anybody may propose legislation for discussion; however, only party leaders may actually ##Submit bills as an official part of their party's legislative slate. Even if a party internally allows any member to propose legislation, the party leader must formally submit it (quote the original post in your submission post).

Neo-Milivian submissions must have the support of at least two out of three of their leaders by default. If you wish for another arrangement, please let me know.

You will have an opportunity to finalize your slate after the party joining process ends; however, a solid legislative slate might attract members to your party.

The leading party will be able to enact four bills. The other parties will be able to enact between one and three bills, based on me eyeballing how many people joined them. Coalitions will be judged on a case-by-case basis, and can be formed by any two party leaders (or a 2/3 vote by Neo-Milvian leaders and the leader of another party.)

Parties can submit any number of bills. However, if you have more bills on your slate than your party is allowed to enact, the empress determines which ones to implement by fiat.

BILL FORMAT

quote:

##Submit The Example Act
•This act will require senators to format their legislation properly.
•Furthermore, party leaders will actually submit some legislation and not leave me hanging.

Legislation should be in simple, straightforward language. Out of character references to game mechanics are perfectly acceptable. Acts may have multiple clauses, but they can only be about one thing.

For example, this is a valid bill:

##Submit the gently caress France Act
•Rome will rival France, and stay rivals with it forever.
•Rome will join any coalitions against France.
•Rome should declare war on France if the emperor or empress considers such a war winnable

This is not a valid bill:

##Submit the gently caress France Act
•Rome will rival France, and stay rivals with it forever.
•Rome will keep Patriarch authority as high as possible.
•Rome will build markets in as many provinces as possible.
•Turkish will be granted equal status with Greek, Latin, and Arabic.

If you aren't sure if your act is too broad or not, feel free to ask me and I'll let you know. Try to err on the side of simplicity, though.

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 2, 2014

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Reminder that the offer of a free eyepatch also extends to any joining the parties under the ADVENTURER MERCHANTStm coalition thingy.

Crewmembers may feel free to soundboard ideas for bills.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

The banners of Inclusionists's subparties go unrecognized. Clearly this is part of some militarist plot to make us seem less inclusive!

Edit: Also #rejoining the Inclusionists for clarity.

GSD fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 2, 2014

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Though the Speaker of the Senate may use our old flag, we are not the Unitas Party of your forefathers!

Join us if you are interested in:

• Making friends with our Orthodox neighbors
  • Supporting the True Faith against foreign attack
  • Forging a modernized Rome through our own toil and effort
  • Centralizing the Empire and ending the threat of rebellious douxes forever!
  • Opposing the Ming successor states and eventually liberating those they oppress
  • And so much more!

Here's part of our platform, have a read!

Centralization and Modernization! Long live the Unitas Party! Long live the Empress! Long live the Roman Empire!

-----------------------------------------------------

Now, for this session, here are some of the acts we intend to pursue, as discussed with my co-leaders:

• Improving relations with our Orthodox brethren - self-explanatory.
  • Improving the Patriarch Authority - more manpower, more stability!
  • Bringing the heretics to the true faith - while we acknowledge the tolerance for heathens at the moment, the Empire has no tolerance for heretics.
  • Work to weaken/oppose the Ming Successor States - one backstab is enough, never forget their treachery!
  • Liberate Rome if possible - the beast of Ortobello must not be permitted to hold what is rightfully ours! (Ideally we'd take everything he owns, but we must be reasonable.)
  • And much more!

Edit: Breaking it down into bill form.

##submit The Brotherhood of Orthodoxy Act
  • Relations should be improved with our orthodox neighbors
  • Patriarchic Authority should be raised to at least 50% and brought no lower

##submit Take What is Ours, Restore Law and Order Act
  • Should the opportunity arise, we will reclaim Rome.

##Never Forget Act
  • We will undercut, undermine, and oppose the Ming Successor states as possible, short of outright war.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 2, 2014

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

How could I not ##rejoin Unitas?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

GSD posted:

The banners of Inclusionists's subparties go unrecognized. Clearly this is part of some militarist plot to make us seem less inclusive!

Edit: Also #rejoining the Inclusionists for clarity.

They weren't in my party masterlist for whatever reason! Could somebody repost them? I don't really want to go through the entire-rear end thread to find them again. :v:

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

A Monternos senator I was, and a Monternos senator I remain. ##Re-join Monternos

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

##Join the Monternos Party.
Is ultro ad pacem!

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Taking a look over our ledgers shows that while we're currently in the green, our annual balance is very tenuous and not very helpful towards encouraging further growth. Much of this waste comes from mismanagement in our army and navy, which is unavoidable due to their sheer size. However, I believe that with a handful of strategic cuts, that we can greatly increase our annual revenue.

I informally propose the following bill:

The Practical Management Act
*The total numbers of the Roman army and navy are not to exceed the appropriate force limits.
*In times of absolute necessity, mercenaries may temporarily be hired to exceed this limit, but are to be fired at the end of the war.
*This statute is to remain in effect until Rome has a monthly surplus of at least fifty ducats.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

##Propose the Gotta Talk the Talk Act
•Rome will prioritize getting the move skilled diplomat possible to advise our Empress (with the limitation that we must still have a positive income flow at peace without other expenses, so at a guess a +2 diplomat but if we can afford a +3 then go ahead.)
•Rome will be frugal with spending effort on other diplomacy related projects until it has caught up with Abyssinia, those descendants of our old Somali trading rivals, in diplomacy tech.

My brothers, we ignore the fluid nature of international dialogue at our peril. The other day, an old Egyptian colleague of me laughed as I tried to haggle the price of his good from him - he told me this was not as in fashion now with the Hui influence in the region, that it was considered impolite. By ignoring the art of diplomacy, we lose on trade and influence and heighten our enemies' power in these regions.

Rejected Fate fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Rincewind posted:

They weren't in my party masterlist for whatever reason! Could somebody repost them? I don't really want to go through the entire-rear end thread to find them again. :v:

To my knowledge:

- Neo Komnenians, Senator Scruffles ??? (Duckbag, Goatlord)
- Da Qin, Senator Digenes Raseres (Raserys, GSD)
- Guiding Light, TheFlyingLlama
T.R.A.I.T.O.R.S - ???

• Locked thread