Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Year 1 undead invasion really blows. They just sit there at the edge of the screen, not walking into my traps, but too strong to mount an assault on with 4 or 5 trained dwarves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've had 50 undeads outside my fort for years and I managed to get a liaison in and all he told me was that my civilization had been conquered.

The undeads can fight the goblins who will inevitably come to destroy the last of us.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

I've had 50 undeads outside my fort for years and I managed to get a liaison in and all he told me was that my civilization had been conquered.

The undeads can fight the goblins who will inevitably come to destroy the last of us.

Did you get migrants? I thought when you had the "Siege" status caravans stopped coming (perhaps unless they were already en route) and possibly migrants as well.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zurai posted:

They can also climb, so simple 1 height constructed walls won't help either. I do believe that adding a lip to the wall foils climbers, though.

By lip, do you mean a floor constructed out over the adjacent space? Does smoothing help too?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Did you get migrants? I thought when you had the "Siege" status caravans stopped coming (perhaps unless they were already en route) and possibly migrants as well.

I thought so too, but I got 1 dwarf caravan (which promptly left, except for the diplomat) and a couple migrant waves.

I managed to save a few migrants but the rest were brutally slaughtered. Undeads are STRONG! And these are just regular reanimated corpses, not husks from evil weather.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Subjunctive posted:

By lip, do you mean a floor constructed out over the adjacent space? Does smoothing help too?

Yeah, basically a ceilinged tile next to the wall in question:

code:
D
______
   ___|
   |       III

Where the vertical lines indicate walls and the horizontal are floors. The D is your dorfs and the I's are invaders on the ground below.

But like someone already mentioned, this isn't really needed at the moment since all you have to do right now to foil climbers is smooth the walls so they can't grab on to them.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Malcolm posted:

Dwarf Fortress kickstarter, I can smell it from here.

Stretch Goal: I'll use version control

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Tarn Adams (http://themittani.com/features/dwarf-fortress-2014-interview-tarn-adams) posted:

...those games don't function as competitors at all, and our true competition is more unrelated games and even moreso unrelated ways of spending money that don't involve or encourage gaming. Don't go on that cruise! Stay home and support DF instead! Unless the cruise is openly inspired by Dwarf Fortress, in which case, you should go on the cruise... but be careful.

I would 100% go on a Dwarf Fortress cruise. Sailing to various biomes, sampling the exotic -=*Prepared Dragonfly Brain Salad*=- and being eternally wrecked on mushroom wine. Sounds downright luxurious, save for the whole Boatmurdered angle.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

But like someone already mentioned, this isn't really needed at the moment since all you have to do right now to foil climbers is smooth the walls so they can't grab on to them.
Or make them out of blocks.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Bullfrog posted:

I would 100% go on a Dwarf Fortress cruise. Sailing to various biomes, sampling the exotic -=*Prepared Dragonfly Brain Salad*=- and being eternally wrecked on mushroom wine. Sounds downright luxurious, save for the whole Boatmurdered angle.

The whole cruise goes to hell when one of the passengers loses at shuffle board and starts a tantrum spiral. There will be no survivors.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Xand_Man posted:

The whole cruise goes to hell when one of the passengers loses at shuffle board and starts a tantrum spiral. There will be no survivors.
Reminds me a bit of the Batavia.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
From this interview:

With DF being a fantasy world generator, will there be less of your creations (beakdogs, plump helmets) as the worlds become more filled out by procedurally created creatures, or will the Bay 12 flavors persist?
Adams: I'm not really happy with a few of the made-up above-ground plants we have, and future stuff will probably slant more toward being generated, maybe exclusively. I suspect in the vanilla version that the to-be-added slider(s) which turns off real-world animals and plants in favor of generated alternatives will also control how our existing made-up stuff is used, with the ability to go full-earth, or mostly-earth and stock-made-up (like now), or mostly/all generated.

--

I certainly hope the game isn't fully randomly generated creatures. Creatures in games like that get pretty old (see Spore and Starbound to an extent). Sometimes it's good to see plenty of familiar creatures and mixing in some random things in to scratch that fantasy variety itch.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Met posted:

I certainly hope the game isn't fully randomly generated creatures. Creatures in games like that get pretty old (see Spore and Starbound to an extent). Sometimes it's good to see plenty of familiar creatures and mixing in some random things in to scratch that fantasy variety itch.

That's because Spore and Starbound aren't doing it Toady-style, he'll probably simulate 2 million years of evolution. :shepface:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

There's only so much completely random stuff you can plug into the equation before it starts looking like mad-libs, though. If anything, even the current state of affairs could use some more rules to guide things.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

I wonder what will be the "overall" focus of the next development arc. Military stuff? Night creature expansions?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Catts posted:

The higher "ranked" members of a squad will prioritize the higher quality armor pieces, but unless you don't have your squads assigned to wear armor or specifically forbid them from metal armor should they do that.

Speaking of autistic Spartans, I like to have a squad of dedicated wrestlers who wear cloaks and pants and do nothing but spar in the middle of a dedicated arena in the middle of the dining hall. I pretend it's dwarf WWE :unsmith:

e: on an unrelated note, does anyone know if surface snow will melt if you pump magma to the level below it? I'm hoping someone can confirm this y/n before I flood my entire map with magma.

in an older fort i had a dedicated squad of nude wrestlers where i sent the shittiest dwarves. their barracks was an elevated platform outside the fortress, near the trade depot. they were the Rapid Rasslin' Response Team.

edit: the entire squad ended up having their skulls bashed in from other wrestlers throwing tantrums, or going insane

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Aug 2, 2014

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

The Droid posted:

I wonder what will be the "overall" focus of the next development arc. Military stuff? Night creature expansions?

Probably stuff related to groups moving around the world map, since he worked so much on getting that to work. Taverns and inns finally, maybe. Which in an ideal world would lead into an economy revival..

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Alright. n00b edit check me here.
I've removed Royal Jelly from bees and bumblebees in animals_insects.txt
I've added this to reaction_other.txt

pre:
[REACTION:PRESS_HONEYCOMB]
	[NAME:press honey from honeycomb]
	[BUILDING:SCREW_PRESS:CUSTOM_H]
	[REAGENT:honeycomb:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_HONEYCOMB:NONE:NONE]
		[HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:HONEYCOMB_PRESS_MAT]
		[NOT_PRESSED]
	[REAGENT:liquid container:1:TOOL:NONE:NONE:NONE]
		[EMPTY]
		[DOES_NOT_ABSORB]
		[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
		[HAS_TOOL_USE:LIQUID_CONTAINER]
		[DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
	[PRODUCT:100:1:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:honeycomb:HONEYCOMB_PRESS_MAT][PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:liquid container]
	[PRODUCT:100:3:GLOB:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:honeycomb:NONE][PRODUCT_PRESSED]
	[SKILL:PRESSING]

[REACTION:MAKE_WAX_CRAFTS]
	[NAME:make wax crafts]
	[BUILDING:CRAFTSMAN:CUSTOM_SHIFT_W]
	[REAGENT:wax:150:GLOB:NONE:NONE:NONE]
		[REACTION_CLASS:WAX]
	[PRODUCT:100:1:CRAFTS:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:wax:NONE]
	[SKILL:WAX_WORKING]

[REACTION:MAKE_WAX_CANDLES]
	[NAME:make wax candles]
	[BUILDING:CRAFTSMAN:CUSTOM_SHIFT_C]
	[REAGENT:wax:150:GLOB:NONE:NONE:NONE]
		[REACTION_CLASS:WAX]
	[PRODUCT:100:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_CANDLE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:wax:NONE]
	[SKILL:WAX_WORKING]
and this to item_tool.txt
pre:
[ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_CANDLE]
[NAME:candles:candles]
[VALUE:25]
[TILE:'/']
[SIZE:300]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:1]
[UNIMPROVABLE]
will this remove the need for jugs when pressing honeycomb. produce 3 globs of wax per comb and allow me to craft <bee> wax candles?

E:
Start game. "Missing Word definition"

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

The honeycomb pressing still requires jugs, thanks to the container being a TOOL:NONE with HAS_TOOL_USE:LIQUID_CONTAINER, in other words a jug.

Barrels/pots:

code:
	[REAGENT:barrel/pot:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
		[EMPTY]
		[FOOD_STORAGE_CONTAINER]
		[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
Buckets:

code:
	[REAGENT:bucket:1:BUCKET:NONE:NONE:NONE]
		[EMPTY]
		[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
The crafting reactions seem okay. The fatal "missing word definition" error seems to be related to language raws, so I have no idea what you've been doing there.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I tried to port my 40.03 save to 40.05.

e:
Generated a new world

An ignoble fate for a bronze colossus.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Aug 2, 2014

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

e: nevermind

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 2, 2014

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Kommando posted:

I tried to port my 40.03 save to 40.05.

e:
Generated a new world

An ignoble fate for a bronze colossus.

Atticmaster.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

0lives posted:

Probably stuff related to groups moving around the world map, since he worked so much on getting that to work. Taverns and inns finally, maybe. Which in an ideal world would lead into an economy revival..

Job priorities are apparently in the mix too, woo woo.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Met posted:

Well, the issue with random generation in those games is that while yes, technically every monster is different, they aren't REALLY different. A good random monster generator is one which creates monsters that you actually need to change how you fight in order to defeat. The random monster generation in Starbound, Spore, and other games like them simply makes the same monster over and over again with a different coat of paint plus a couple extra bells and whistles, resulting in the player just treating every enemy identically. What I hope is that Toady understands this before he goes on to create his own random monster generator.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 2, 2014

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

VerdantSquire posted:

Well, the issue with random generation in those games is that while yes, technically every monster is different, they aren't REALLY different. A good random monster generator is one which creates monsters that you actually need to change how you fight in order to defeat. The random monster generation in Starbound, Spore, and other games like them simply makes the same monster over and over again with a different coat of paint plus a couple extra bells and whistles, resulting in the player just treating every enemy identically. What I hope is that Toady understands this before he goes on to create his own random monster generator.

If the player's don't like it I'm sure the functionality to use pre-generated things will still exist. I can't imagine him getting rid of goblins and elves. So you can likely just make the RNG force something (say you want an ice planet, everything survives in the cold) well you then just make it so everything explodes at normal temps that is randomly generated and you only have "stock" things, in your custom raws.

Really it is Dwarf Fortress the only thing a random creator generator is going to do worst case is waste development time, and Toady is going to do what Toady is going to do.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is there any utility that will let me disable the warm/wet stone digging cancellations? I'm sort of amazed thats not in the orders menu.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

No, but you can disable the pausing and recentering at least. Take the D and the P out of the right places in \init\announcements.txt.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Zereth posted:

Or make them out of blocks.

I'm not sure if it works against invaders, but I had dwarfs climb over block walls.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

I really like this fort I have going, but it's almost two years in and I have had zero migration waves. At one point, I got sieged by evil dwarfs who eventually left when I turtled. I still see dwarf caravans every year and an elf caravan recently showed up. When I look on the civ screen I see a bunch of barons/counts/royalty, and the liason always has news from the other mountain-homes, so what gives?

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
Check your population cap setting.

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
I believe it is peace in our time.

babies havin rabies posted:

I really like this fort I have going, but it's almost two years in and I have had zero migration waves. At one point, I got sieged by evil dwarfs who eventually left when I turtled. I still see dwarf caravans every year and an elf caravan recently showed up. When I look on the civ screen I see a bunch of barons/counts/royalty, and the liason always has news from the other mountain-homes, so what gives?

A couple pages back people were saying that .05 added an "absolute pop cap" setting that is different from the normal pop cap. If you copypasted your init from a previous version it won't be in there and it defaults to 0. Redownload and get the clean init.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Samolety posted:

A couple pages back people were saying that .05 added an "absolute pop cap" setting that is different from the normal pop cap. If you copypasted your init from a previous version it won't be in there and it defaults to 0. Redownload and get the clean init.

Thanks. I'm using a fresh download of Linux LNP 40.05, but I don't see the [STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:n] in d_init (must have been overlooked?). I typically don't mess with the inits directly, so is just adding this line and loading up DF enough to make it effective in my fort?

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 2, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Yeah, it is. Should look like this:

quote:

You can set the maximum population of your fortress here. Keep in mind that your population must be at least 80 to get a king and 100 to obtain the current game features. The strict cap also stops fort births. Both caps can be violated by a few special cases, like the arrival of the monarch if you qualify.

[POPULATION_CAP:200]
[STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:220]

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

babies havin rabies posted:

Thanks. I'm using a fresh download of Linux LNP 40.05, but I don't see the [STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:n] in d_init (must have been overlooked?). I typically don't mess with the inits directly, so is just adding this line and loading up DF enough to make it effective in my fort?

Yep! I copied my old inits and experienced the same thing: no migrants or dwarf babbys, normal births for animals. Missing that line is the same for having it set to zero.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

i once kicked a kobold just to watch him fly

Toady One posted:

Some more bugs eaten by toad.
  • fixed a problem causing certain jobs to become stuck when their paths were interrupted
  • stopped dwarves from starting conflicts with led creatures
  • stopped led creatures from wandering away from leader
  • fixed problem causing multiple plant listings in stockpile menu
  • made hunger/thirst/etc. indicators display properly in travel
  • fixed broken language selection for certain names
  • added ability to copy basic reagent item types to products in reaction (to match material copy syntax)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The human caravan just got so scared that their wagons exploded. :stare: Or their wagons exploded which caused everyone to get scared?

I built an L-shaped fence around the outdoor refuse pile so wagons couldn't pass to close, but one of the guys with just a donkey decided to take a shortcut through the 1-tile wide pedestrian pass through. About the time he gets eye level with the edge of the refuse heap the entire caravan and all my civilians in the area start throwing blue !!!!s. WTF? It's not that scary. Okay, over a ways off my soldiers have just engaged a minotaur, but I don't think the merchants can even see them. What is so . . . the wagons are gone. Just gone. Stacks of wagon wood surrounded by confused and terrified merchants. What? Why? How?

:stare:

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Oh! My save game won't work because I removed royal jelly and I had some jugs full of it in a stockpile. Duh.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Angela Christine posted:

The human caravan just got so scared that their wagons exploded. :stare: Or their wagons exploded which caused everyone to get scared?

I built an L-shaped fence around the outdoor refuse pile so wagons couldn't pass to close, but one of the guys with just a donkey decided to take a shortcut through the 1-tile wide pedestrian pass through. About the time he gets eye level with the edge of the refuse heap the entire caravan and all my civilians in the area start throwing blue !!!!s. WTF? It's not that scary. Okay, over a ways off my soldiers have just engaged a minotaur, but I don't think the merchants can even see them. What is so . . . the wagons are gone. Just gone. Stacks of wagon wood surrounded by confused and terrified merchants. What? Why? How?

:stare:

My guess: there were bones or other body bits in the refuse pile, the merchants became horribly afraid of them, the draft animals flipped out and dragged the wagons somewhere impassable, and the wagons exploded.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Moon Monster posted:

Is there any utility that will let me disable the warm/wet stone digging cancellations? I'm sort of amazed thats not in the orders menu.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=21892.0
works with 2012 but not 2014

I want to be able to put goblin heads on pikes and have goblins get scared away.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
e: oops