Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I've always been suspicious that Barney beat Betty though

Guy has no neck. Never trust someone without a neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Hi Darren! Paul George just snapped his leg off! Your reaction?

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/495418406875987968

quote:

The Pacers are covered for Paul George's injury. If he misses a full season, they would get back $6.3M of the $15.8M they pay him.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
:laffo: MLB twitter champ Brandon McCarthy even gave him poo poo

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Someone (who has much more talent than me) needs to write a front page article lampooning Rovell and have him tweeting/writing about the worst disasters in history.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

FuzzySkinner posted:

Someone (who has much more talent than me) needs to write a front page article lampooning Rovell and have him tweeting/writing about the worst disasters in history.

I'm pretty sure 'people will be so mad at this' fuels a good half his writing.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'd be shocked if this hasn't been done already

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Poonerman posted:

I've seen this one on twitter a lot

"Darren Rovell travels back in time to the 1936 Olympics, reports on the price of hot dogs"

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

ElwoodCuse posted:

I've seen this one on twitter a lot

"Darren Rovell travels back in time to the 1936 Olympics, reports on the price of hot dogs"

It would probably be more like

@darrenrovell
One has to wonder if more #Berlin1936 memorabilia would be flying off the shelves if not for #MeinKampf. Adolf can't be happy about this.

Edit: hahaha my reply to his tweet was retweeted by @rovellreplies. My rage has finally made it.

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 2, 2014

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
"Can't see much staying power for Jesse Owens. Hearing not many brands interested in picking him up back in the states"

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

"Owens' success boosts Warsteiner sales 200%. Organizers increasing concentration of stands in venues for remainder of Olympics"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Interesting to see how #Flight937 affects Marshall's season ticket sales next season

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
The attack on the #WTC will cost the Yankees $3.5 million dollars in lost ticket sales, possibly more in merchandise.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Hearing #Munich tickets sales have drastically slowed, IOC worried impact could be up to 20 million dollars #olympics

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Outside Louis XIV's #court, his #courtesans are 7s at best, #weakparty, #sunking's brand is clearly faltering

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The discovery of #fire should lead to a 100% increase in barter opportunities for Garthok's tribe. #business #prehistory

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Crucifixion will hurt short term fan acquisition, could do wonders for brand down the road. #allpubisgoodpub #nopainnogain #crackafeweggstomakeomelet

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Poonerman posted:

It has.

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2012/2/16/2802236/darren-rovells-century-of-legendary-tweets

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Edit: on second thought, not my brightest idea.

Jay Carney fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 4, 2014

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.
I simultaneously want that post to be real and not real.

If it's real, of course Rovell is the kind of mentally-stunted manchild whose entire life is subsumed by branding. Any other consequence like humanity or compassion or reason or tact is completely alien to this rancid husk of humanity.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Can you ask him if he was born from the result of a horrifying genetic experiment by a corporation to see how much of a shill they can create?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to make the world's first brand sentient man.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It sounds like the site Sports on Earth just fired like 90% of their writers. Seems related to the announcement that USA Today, which owns it, is being spun off from its parent company.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

It sounds like the site Sports on Earth just fired like 90% of their writers. Seems related to the announcement that USA Today, which owns it, is being spun off from its parent company.

Where are you hearing this? I haven't seen any stories about it, but that'd be a shame. Tainer's game previews aren't quite the same since he left FootballOutsiders but they're still amusing enough.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

axeil posted:

Where are you hearing this? I haven't seen any stories about it, but that'd be a shame. Tainer's game previews aren't quite the same since he left FootballOutsiders but they're still amusing enough.

No story yet that I've seen but writers/editors have confirmed it and started asking for work.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

axeil posted:

He's one of the biggest names working there so I would guess he's not part of the cuts. And if he were he'd probably wind up somewhere else fairly quickly. Ideally Grantland to replace Barnwell since he can actually write articles that are entertaining and don't amount to writing THIS TEAM WILL BE BETTER/WORSE BECAUSE OF REGRESSION TO THE MEAN and calling it a day.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 5, 2014

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

morestuff posted:

No story yet that I've seen but writers/editors have confirmed it and started asking for work.

Buried in there was this which I hadn't read before:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I really liked Sports on Earth. That is too bad.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

MourningView posted:

He's one of the biggest names working there so I would guess he's not part of the cuts. And if he were he'd probably wind up somewhere else fairly quickly. Ideally Grantland to replace Barnwell since he can actually write articles that are entertaining and don't amount to writing THIS TEAM WILL BE BETTER/WORSE BECAUSE OF REGRESSION TO THE MEAN in all caps and calling it a day.

This tweet from him is non-committal but makes it seem like he's staying.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

The article Morestuff linked above is continuing to update, and Tanier tweeted about 10 minutes ago that he's still with SoE.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Grittybeard posted:

Buried in there was this which I hadn't read before:

Oops, I figured this meant SoE would become a baseball site but now that I look up MLBAM they do a whole bunch of stuff I never realized. Also their own site has Sports on Earth up with a picture of RG3 on the front page so maybe they'll be more or less the same aside from having no writers.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
All but three SoE contracts were terminated: Leitch's, Tanier's, and one of the mid-level editors. Part of the reason no one knew what was going on until late in the day is because they fired literally the entire LLC save three guys, of whom only one was in-office and could effectively communicate with the ex-staff.

That's basically all I have to say on the matter in public, besides the fact that this was a decision made at the faceless, inhuman business complexity level far above anyone's heads at SoE, including the guys who are still there.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

Crion posted:

All but three SoE contracts were terminated: Leitch's, Tanier's, and one of the mid-level editors. Part of the reason no one knew what was going on until late in the day is because they fired literally the entire LLC save three guys, of whom only one was in-office and could effectively communicate with the ex-staff.

That's basically all I have to say on the matter in public, besides the fact that this was a decision made at the faceless, inhuman business complexity level far above anyone's heads at SoE, including the guys who are still there.
That's what you get for having hopes and dreams, pal.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

MourningView posted:

He's one of the biggest names working there so I would guess he's not part of the cuts. And if he were he'd probably wind up somewhere else fairly quickly. Ideally Grantland to replace Barnwell since he can actually write articles that are entertaining and don't amount to writing THIS TEAM WILL BE BETTER/WORSE BECAUSE OF REGRESSION TO THE MEAN and calling it a day.

I love gearing up for the NFL preview articles and then remembering that they're all just filled with turnover recovery charts and records in 1-score games and numbers of pick-sixes

Also a big fan of the in-season Coaching Criticism recurring features:

"3. This coach challenged a relatively unimportant play
2. This coach didn't go for it on 4th and short
1. This coach ran a draw at the end of a half"

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

xbilkis posted:

I love gearing up for the NFL preview articles and then remembering that they're all just filled with turnover recovery charts and records in 1-score games and numbers of pick-sixes

"MMQB writes game over in his notebook, also extols the virtue of the white race."

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MourningView posted:

This drives me completely insane as well. I wish they'd hire Chris Brown as their main football guy rather than a guy who writes TURNOVERS, GAMES DECIDED BY A TOUCHDOWN OR LESS, and POINT DIFFERENTIAL WELP 150 times a season and destroys podcasts by having a weird tick where he sucks in his teeth that also drives me nuts.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

I really liked Sports on Earth. That is too bad.

Yup. Quality, substance, original viewpoints...it couldn't last in this world.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

This drives me completely insane as well. I wish they'd hire Chris Brown as their main football guy rather than a guy who writes TURNOVERS, GAMES DECIDED BY A TOUCHDOWN OR LESS, and POINT DIFFERENTIAL WELP 150 times a season and destroys podcasts by having a weird tick where he sucks in his teeth that also drives me nuts.

Yeah Chris Brown is really really really underused.

midwat
May 6, 2007

xbilkis posted:

Unfortunately, this is probably Simmons' idea of "cutting-edge statistical analysis," so Barnwell will likely stick around.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Let's be fair. Coaches challenge a lot of really stupid plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
It really blows that SoE was dismantled. That was a fantastic group of writers who put together pieces there.

And I have zero intention of reading the new venture if Will Leitch is the headliner. I still very much like Leitch but he does not capture my imagination outside of movie reviews.