Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Gavok posted:

I'm pretty sure he's the way he is because he's lost his father and grandfather to what had to have been an incredibly long war with the Nova Corps and he simply refuses to move on. He's a foil for Drax, in that he'd destroy everything around him for the sake of avenging his dead family.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he said something about a 1000-year war or something. They seem to be implying that the Kree have a Skrull-like rivalry with Xandar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Gavok posted:

I'm pretty sure he's the way he is because he's lost his father and grandfather to what had to have been an incredibly long war with the Nova Corps and he simply refuses to move on. He's a foil for Drax, in that he'd destroy everything around him for the sake of avenging his dead family.

And his great grandfather, too!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

He wants the space mcguffin, "who is this Thanos guy" is a big, overarching question on purpose.

I don't get the complaints about Ronan. He's a space terrorist who doesn't recognize his people's peace treaty, and wants to see the other side destroyed. We don't see why he's the way he is, but the movie's not really about him as a character.

I don't know, the way the Kree person talked with the Nova Corps, it makes it seem like they probably support his actions but are officially not supporting or condemning him.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Grendels Dad posted:

You know who'd be a great Adam Warlock? Tom Hiddleston, that's who.

Mads Mikkelsen

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Howard the Duck from the post credits sequence was voiced by Seth Green apparently.

Dogeatdog
Jun 17, 2005

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Mads Mikkelsen

Hell, give him Dr. Strange.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he said something about a 1000-year war or something. They seem to be implying that the Kree have a Skrull-like rivalry with Xandar.

If they really fought for that long neither side could have tried very hard :colbert:

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Mads Mikkelsen

Yesssss. If not that then surely another character, and I'm looking forward to seeing who it will be because I love me some Mads. At the rate Marvel is going he'll have to be in one of their movies because they make so many that everybody ends up in them eventually. Everybody.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Grendels Dad posted:

If they really fought for that long neither side could have tried very hard :colbert:

Yesssss. If not that then surely another character, and I'm looking forward to seeing who it will be because I love me some Mads. At the rate Marvel is going he'll have to be in one of their movies because they make so many that everybody ends up in them eventually. Everybody.

He was originally supposed to be (or was at least up for the role of) Malekith in Thor 2

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I'm seriously glad that didn't manifest, and I say that as someone who liked Thor 2. He would have been so wasted on that film. Destro was just the right man for that job.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Dogeatdog posted:

Hell, give him Dr. Strange.

http://youtu.be/Ihzp55Cuo7M

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

notthegoatseguy posted:

I don't know, the way the Kree person talked with the Nova Corps, it makes it seem like they probably support his actions but are officially not supporting or condemning him.

That doesn't contradict what I said as far as I can tell.

Also, there's plenty of analogues in real history to governments going "hey, that guy? we don't control him."

If the Kree were really smart they would have agreed to stand against Ronan with the Novas, and betrayed the Corps as soon as he attacked.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

All I know is I can't wait for the scene in Avengers 3 with Cap standing up to Thanos.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I really enjoyed Farscape: The Movie. Really weird that they made Aeryn green and Rygel into a rodent, though.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Having seen and carefully considered Guardians of the Galaxy, I have a question for those who have seen it.

Do you prefer blue women, green women, pink women, or Glenn Close?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Sarchasm posted:

Having seen and carefully considered Guardians of the Galaxy, I have a question for those who have seen it.

Blue, Glenn Close, Green, Pink

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

I like the Heroes over Villains thing MCU is doing. It was my biggest problem with the Nolan Batman movies, and why I prefered Begins over TDK and TDKR. Batman was the most interesting character in Begins. The villains were small change. But in TDK? Batman could not have been in it and the movie would've been just as good. No one cared about Batman in that movie.
I really love Bruce's story in The Dark Knight. My favorite thing about the movie is that "You either die a hero... or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain" was a line we all knew going into the movie and none of realized that the villain line was actually talking about Bruce.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Deadpool posted:

Howard the Duck from the post credits sequence was voiced by Seth Green apparently.
I couldn't tell who did that voice because the entire audience was yelling WHAT

Howard the Duck are you fuckin' kidding me :psyduck:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I actually had to explain the end credits thing to people It's totally fan service, they were like what the gently caress was that? And I had to explain Howard the Duck and how you shouldn't watch it because seriously it's loving awful

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Howard the Duck was perfectly Howard the Duck. There were some weird tonal shifts and the last act dragged forever, but it's got some great stuff in it. Like Howard immediately going to the unemployment office and having to work in a brothel, threatening a motorcycle punk with space rabies, constantly having to avoid idiot redneck hunters, sitting across the table from an evil intergalactic overlord telling him his plan of conquest but completely ignoring him because he's super pissed off the restaurant is selling eggs, Lea Thompson being a stone cold fox I mean holy poo poo if you thought she was hot in BttF or All the Right Moves this is next level.

It is a bad movie, but it's got a lot of fun stuff in it, and overall is pretty faithful to the character.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Howard the Duck would have been a better movie if Lucas made it when he originally wanted to, before Star Wars took off like a rocket.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Sarchasm posted:

I really wish when John C Reily was coming to see his family, that it would reveal that comes from an alien race that composes of everyone looking like John C Reily

Also I don't think GOTG is bombing
http://variety.com/2014/film/news/guardians-of-the-galaxy-orbits-100-million-at-the-box-office-1201274069/

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I actually have plans to see it a 3rd time with friends who just through word of mouth and who normally hate super hero movies now want to go and see it because it's a "comedy". Which well it is, but I think that's indicative of a good movie when people who normally wouldn't watch something like that go to see it.

I can see it being a billion, but I wonder if the 80s jokes will translate to foreign markets.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If Guardians hits $100 million on opening weekend I'll be so drat happy.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

achillesforever6 posted:

I really wish when John C Reily was coming to see his family, that it would reveal that comes from an alien race that composes of everyone looking like John C Reily

I was expecting that scene to reveal him tending to one (or multiple) little Groot among his other plants.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Hollismason posted:

I can see it being a billion, but I wonder if the 80s jokes will translate to foreign markets.

For one thing, American culture from the 80s (and 70s) is pretty popular internationally. Also, Marvel have been shown to rewrite certain things to fit different markets - i.e. Cap's to-do list from Winter Soldier. I could totally see them changing one or two more obscure pop culture jokes around, but honestly stuff like the whole Kevin Bacon Footloose thing will probably translate pretty well overseas.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

achillesforever6 posted:

That seemed like a weird scene, like I was expecting him to turn on a vidscreen and report back to Thanos or something.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

achillesforever6 posted:

Also I don't think GOTG is bombing
http://variety.com/2014/film/news/guardians-of-the-galaxy-orbits-100-million-at-the-box-office-1201274069/

IIIIIIIIII'MMMM HOOKED ON A FEELING :toot:

My ex really wants a Runaways movie, so this gives me hope that can happen.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
John C. Reilly hugging his family was awesome. It was such a warm scene thanks to his acting. Even Glen Close. The Xandarians seemed pretty cool folk.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Gatts posted:

John C. Reilly hugging his family was awesome. It was such a warm scene thanks to his acting. Even Glen Close. The Xandarians seemed pretty cool folk.
Yeah, it's nice that we're getting alien species who aren't total dickholes.

Also I'm somewhat pleased that The Collector isn't the villain I thought he'd be after the Thor: TDW stinger... he's trying to collect all the Gems not for ultimate power, but just because he collects things goddammit he wants the set. I like that. Plus, anyone Cosmo likes is A-okay in my book.

Dogeatdog
Jun 17, 2005
Considering how he treats his "staff", he's still pretty villainous.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Guardians is really loving cool and the fact that it's not only not bombing but might make 100 million in it's first weekend is legitimately heartwarming and makes me excited for the future of Marvel Studios movies.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
The dance-off between Ronan and Starlord was great, I just loved his lines during that. "Gamora take over, subtle I'll take it back." "I'm distracting you, turd burgler." Those had me in stitches. I will see this movie again.

That said, man there was a lot of swearing in this movie.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Also I'm somewhat pleased that The Collector isn't the villain I thought he'd be after the Thor: TDW stinger... he's trying to collect all the Gems not for ultimate power, but just because he collects things goddammit he wants the set. I like that. Plus, anyone Cosmo likes is A-okay in my book.

Dude, he owns slaves.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

fatherboxx posted:

Dude, he owns slaves.

Correction, he collects them.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Gatts posted:

I thought that bit was also awesome because we saw his wife and child almost die during the invasion before Rocket saved their lives. They didn't mean anything to us when we first saw them. That scene with John C. Reilly showed the real payoff of the Guardians getting over their own selfishness -- especially Rocket's apathy for others -- because the random bystanders turned out to be people who "mattered" and they protected that Nova from potentially being broken like Drax and Ronan. Kind of like how Batman does what he does to save people from having to deal with loss like he did.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It was also just a nice ending, I mean it got a great epilogue. I like Marvel Movies, but seriously they sometimes end on some serious downers.

Also, I think the fact the film "wrapped" up was intentional, it leaves enough for a sequel if they needed one, but if it like bombed or something crazy it's a complete film.

My wish list for the next film would probably be

Adam Warlock and the Infinity Watch
Nova
Quasar
Skrulls goddamn it
One scene of showing Eros in alien jail
Supreme Intelligence
Inhumans or at least a Inhuman or just poo poo something

Sucks that Marvel lost so much poo poo with not having Fantastic Four.

Oh I forgot

The loving Watcher ( but I think he belongs to the Fantastic Four)

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Anora posted:

The dance-off between Ronan and Starlord was great, I just loved his lines during that. "Gamora take over, subtle I'll take it back." "I'm distracting you, turd burgler." Those had me in stitches. I will see this movie again.

That said, man there was a lot of swearing in this movie.

My favourite part of that scene was Ronan being so utterly bewildered he drops the deep booming voice and just sounds like a normal dude when he asks "What are you doing?"

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Grendels Dad posted:

You know who'd be a great Adam Warlock? Tom Hiddleston, that's who.

Well he's gonna need a new role after they reveal the Kid Loki movie, that's for sure.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Comparing this movie to the Avengers, and it is interesting...

Okay, in GOTG, the team start off INCREDIBLY flawed, spend a good portion of the movie at each others throats and making terrible, selfish decisions before teaming up when it becomes clear that things have gotten out of hand. And while it is heavy handed with the whole POWER OF FRIENDSHIP stuff, up to and including how the main conflict is resolved, it feels satisfying and natural.

Disclaimer, I really liked the Avengers. That said, they are supposed heroes who act really bitchy to each other (With the notable exception of the Stark-Banner bromance) for no real reason, and were basically tricked into ultimately teaming up. I still like the movie but GOTG really shows how cynical it kinda is.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Aug 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Hollismason posted:

It was also just a nice ending, I mean it got a great epilogue. I like Marvel Movies, but seriously they sometimes end on some serious downers.

Also, I think the fact the film "wrapped" up was intentional, it leaves enough for a sequel if they needed one, but if it like bombed or something crazy it's a complete film.

My wish list for the next film would probably be

Adam Warlock and the Infinity Watch
Nova
Quasar
Skrulls goddamn it
One scene of showing Eros in alien jail
Supreme Intelligence
Inhumans or at least a Inhuman or just poo poo something

Sucks that Marvel lost so much poo poo with not having Fantastic Four.

Oh I forgot

The loving Watcher ( but I think he belongs to the Fantastic Four)

Mine is a villain with an actual personality.

• Locked thread