Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013
Is there any difference to the gameplay on slower speeds? Like, does the longer game tend to benefit one victory type over another, or give the AI some non-obvious advantages or disadvantages, or anything like that? I'm thinking about trying Marathon or Epic for variety, but I don't know of the time commitment would be worth it if the actual game unfolds just like it would have on Quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mad Jaqk posted:

Is there any difference to the gameplay on slower speeds? Like, does the longer game tend to benefit one victory type over another, or give the AI some non-obvious advantages or disadvantages, or anything like that? I'm thinking about trying Marathon or Epic for variety, but I don't know of the time commitment would be worth it if the actual game unfolds just like it would have on Quick.

Slower game speeds benefit domination victories. Your units move the same number of hexes per turn, but it takes more turns for them to become obsolete or for your opponent to build defensive structures/units.

I would also say that slower games are easier vs. the AI.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Platystemon posted:

Slower game speeds benefit domination victories. Your units move the same number of hexes per turn, but it takes more turns for them to become obsolete or for your opponent to build defensive structures/units.

Yeah. There are loads of advantages to the player for playing the longer game types. The AI is terrible at war, but good at production, so in a Quick game they can replace their losses very easily and keep a wave of dudes coming at you. In an Epic one, they'll suicide their units in the first few turns of the war, then you can roll in and take their stuff.

You also get to build up way more promotions on your units since they get a lot more goes but there's no modifier on the XP they gain. The AI has no idea about promotions.

Basically the AI is terrible at warfare and the slower game types emphasise it.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Finished a game like this yesterday on a Marathon Huge Earth map. I set it to domination only and installed a mod that reduced the build times for units and buildings to standard speed. Broke the game, as I ended up with battleships and half the world conquered by 1700. Still fun to be able to field the massive armies like the AI does.

Anyone know of a mod that only reduces the unit build times? Having relatively instant buildings in my cities made things too easy, but the wars themselves were great.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

dayman posted:

At the point I was at in the last game, obliteration was the only option. The AI was probably 10-20 turns away from science victory, so I just took Space Procurements and beat them to it. It just feels so "gamey" to do it that way. I guess deity is just sort of broken for culture victory.

That's strange. Cultural and diplomatic victories tend to kick in much earlier than science victories. Not only should the AI's science victory not have been a threat, but you also shouldn't have had enough scientific progress yourself to be able to snipe a science victory of your own. (Eventually, sure, but you generally win by culture before you get that far.)

Granted, that could change if someone forces Sciences Funding through the world congress, but on the whole the AI seems to be a lot more fond of Arts Funding.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Vil posted:

That's strange. Cultural and diplomatic victories tend to kick in much earlier than science victories. Not only should the AI's science victory not have been a threat, but you also shouldn't have had enough scientific progress yourself to be able to snipe a science victory of your own. (Eventually, sure, but you generally win by culture before you get that far.)

Granted, that could change if someone forces Sciences Funding through the world congress, but on the whole the AI seems to be a lot more fond of Arts Funding.

I guess I'm just not thinking right for culture victory. The game was a little weird. I played as France. Washington gobbled up Morocco early and took most of the Mongolian Horde's lands soon after, so it turned him into a powerhouse for the rest of the game. Only Arabia and Ethiopia remained beside him late game. I did lose some time when Arabia attacked and refused peace for about 30 turns. Ethiopia was cranking culture all game. I mean, I just couldn't keep up at all with my tourism production. Being Deity, I missed all the early wonders but managed to snag Sistine Chapel and Eiffel Tower, as well as Sydney Opera House which should be enough. At the end I was making about 260 raw tourism.

I think my problem is that I put too much priority on achieving science parity, which often isn't achieved until late game. Nonetheless, the AI seemed especially on point with science. It was 1868 when I launched my ship, and the AI wasn't too far behind.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

If you're really having trouble, you could always go military, conquer almost everyone, and leave a bunch of tiny Civs in your wake so you can basically force your culture on them.

Or just play as Brazil :v:

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

majormonotone posted:

If you're really having trouble, you could always go military, conquer almost everyone, and leave a bunch of tiny Civs in your wake so you can basically force your culture on them.

Or just play as Brazil :v:

Yeah, but then it's just a de facto domination victory. Anyone have some good tips for deity cultural victory that don't depend on domination? Any must have wonders, buildings to rush? I'm assuming you need to build all guilds and staff them immediately. What about culture buildings? Build them all ASAP or can I stagger them as they fill up with great works?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

dayman posted:

Yeah, but then it's just a de facto domination victory. Anyone have some good tips for deity cultural victory that don't depend on domination? Any must have wonders, buildings to rush? I'm assuming you need to build all guilds and staff them immediately. What about culture buildings? Build them all ASAP or can I stagger them as they fill up with great works?

I've heard it suggested that you hold off on building the musician's guild until you have the percentage cultural modifier buildings (Broadcast Towers etc.) and culture -> tourism buildings (Hotels and Airports) so that their tourism bomb ability is stronger. I've only done cultural victories a couple times so I can't comment on how much more effective this is than just using them immediately. In fact I had one game in which I had to carefully manage what order I conquered the world in so that I wouldn't prematurely win a cultural victory :v:

The other cultural Great People have their strength adjust as time goes on, so there's no real problem with generating them early aside from paying their unit upkeep.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

France is really a rubbish civ, though. Chateaux just seem to take up space I could be putting farms on.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I could see them being good on lovely Silk, Dyes, or Incense tiles, but you're right: they're too limited in scope to really be worth anything.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

I could see them being good on lovely Silk, Dyes, or Incense tiles, but you're right: they're too limited in scope to really be worth anything.

You can't put them on those tiles - you can only put them next to luxuries, and not next to each other.

Their only worth as far as I can tell is that they count for lategame tourism once you've got Hotels and Airports since they're a culture-producing improvement, but generally speaking you want a civ that will help you get to the point of Hotels and Airports as fast as possible rather than one that benefits particularly once they're there.

I like Brazil for the Brazilwood Camps because I was going to put trading posts there anyway and the camps build in about half the time. Jungle starts are kinda painful though.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
How do you stop a cultural victory? By the end of my last game, a friend was making 700 culture per turn. All of that was being multiplied into tourism. Despite everyone being at war with him, pillaging and attacking, we couldn't really decrease his culture in any meaningful way.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

HellCopter posted:

How do you stop a cultural victory? By the end of my last game, a friend was making 700 culture per turn. All of that was being multiplied into tourism. Despite everyone being at war with him, pillaging and attacking, we couldn't really decrease his culture in any meaningful way.

Pillaging won't affect tourism much, the only sure-fire way I know of is to capture at least one of his cultural cities (usually the capital is the best). You can try increasing your culture, stealing cultural city states, etc. as stop-gaps but usually by the time I see "oh poo poo that guy's gonna get a cultural victory" those things don't make enough of a difference.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Antares posted:

Pillaging won't affect tourism much, the only sure-fire way I know of is to capture at least one of his cultural cities (usually the capital is the best). You can try increasing your culture, stealing cultural city states, etc. as stop-gaps but usually by the time I see "oh poo poo that guy's gonna get a cultural victory" those things don't make enough of a difference.

Generally, once culture victories start kicking in, a not insignificant portion of the tourism comes from wonders and great works in wonders. Unless you can knock out the cities containing them, you're sailing down poo poo creek fast.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

If a guy can defend his cultural victory in MP, either you weren't paying enough attention to the tourism screen or he could have won by domination anyway.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
England's longbowmen are insane. I was going for a domination victory with England and as soon as they rollled out, I took out my continent that included Ghandi, Alexander, and Babylon.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Ships of the Line are also insane, being a large upgrade to an already amazing unit.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
England can dominate a continents map the same way Mongolia can dominate a land map.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I used ships of the line less bc all of my neighbors had inland capitols and I was trying to kill them all off before exploring the other continent. But yeah when I finally got around to them they were awesome. I should have that game wrapped up soon. I'm comfortably in top arm position and the Vikings are a couple turns from declaring war on the Dutch who are two. An the Vikings are allied with me and I've got China's capitol

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Gort posted:

Ships of the Line are also insane, being a large upgrade to an already amazing unit.

Build a bunch of galleasses before you research the tech that unlock Ships of the Line. Upgrade galleasses for a pittance into Ships of the Line. :getin: I think I learned that trick from here actually.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The galleass isn't half-bad either, just don't get too eager with them because of the movement limits. Generally I have them roaming around and at least one or two end up stuck behind borders without a chance to negotiate passage.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Ulvirich posted:

Build a bunch of galleasses before you research the tech that unlock Ships of the Line. Upgrade galleasses for a pittance into Ships of the Line. :getin: I think I learned that trick from here actually.

Indeed. I find it's all an extension of the "get 4 archers and gold upgrade them into Comp Bows at Construction instantly win forever against the AI" trick, because then you find out "wow it basically works for everything".

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Speaking of comp bowmen the Shoshone kick rear end extra hard because Pathfinders upgrade to comp bowmen directly via goodie huts -- and they get to prioritize picking the upgrade.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

The AI is bad at defending against two major things: ranged units and naval units. The English have extremely good variations of both of these. For domination against the AI, you could definitely do worse than playing England.

Chronojam posted:

Speaking of comp bowmen the Shoshone kick rear end extra hard because Pathfinders upgrade to comp bowmen directly via goodie huts -- and they get to prioritize picking the upgrade.

Okay that's pretty rad, I should try the Shoshone out next game. I've been doing a game as Boudicca but I'm really, really bad at her.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Came across a new-ish mod that looks interesting if for no other reason than giving a different angle to play toward: Extra Victory Conditions, which adds Economic Victory and Religious Victory to the game. The finer points:

RELIGIOUS VICTORY
- Have your religion be the majority in 70% of the cities on the map
- Have XX amount of population following your religion (dependent on map size)
- Have your religion be the majority religion in every holy city

ECONOMIC VICTORY
- Amass over 20,000 gold (scales up/down with difficulty)
- Maintain +400 or more net gold per turn for 10 turns (scales up/down with difficulty)
- Obtain at least one copy of every luxury resource present on the map

But why I'm really posting this is that the first comment for the mod loving kills me:

quote:

this mod sucks is way too easy I was able to make like 400k gold and 1200 gold per turn. I was playing as venice on settler

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Economic Victory is a pointless thing to add; the game already has Economic Victory. It just calls it 'Diplomatic Victory' and makes you take an extra two minutes to dole out your money to city-states to claim it.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Or 'being Venice'.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Venice is weirdly over-powered. Personally I find the whole "puppeting city states" thing kinda "meh," and with only one primary city you'd think they would be seriously hampered. However, the extra trade routes are straight-up godly in the end.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Defeatist Elitist posted:

Indeed. I find it's all an extension of the "get 4 archers and gold upgrade them into Comp Bows at Construction instantly win forever against the AI" trick, because then you find out "wow it basically works for everything".

Until you fight the Zulu-the Buffalo improvements make their melee nigh-immune to ranged combat. The Impi are even worse for this, because they get a bonus vs Gunpowder units and are semi-ranged themselves.

HappyHelmet posted:

Venice is weirdly over-powered. Personally I find the whole "puppeting city states" thing kinda "meh," and with only one primary city you'd think they would be seriously hampered. However, the extra trade routes are straight-up godly in the end.

Also the Merchants are double-strength in Trade missions. That's 1200 gold instantly and usually an instant ally should you choose to, which has other benefits.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 2, 2014

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
How do you guys are able to endure those marathon and epic games? After finding all the nation clicking the "next turn" button is like 15 to 30 seconds of waiting and it is starting to drive me insane. Is my computer just lovely (it is) or is it the same for everyone?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

ManOfTheYear posted:

How do you guys are able to endure those marathon and epic games? After finding all the nation clicking the "next turn" button is like 15 to 30 seconds of waiting and it is starting to drive me insane. Is my computer just lovely (it is) or is it the same for everyone?

Do you have quick combat and movement on? Those make turns go past much quicker.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Attestant posted:

Do you have quick combat and movement on? Those make turns go past much quicker.

Do I have what now?

....Oh my god

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Do I have what now?

....Oh my god

You'll find those in the extra settings when starting a new game, unfortunately you can't toggle them on from the options.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Attestant posted:

You'll find those in the extra settings when starting a new game, unfortunately you can't toggle them on from the options.
Sure you can.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Attestant posted:

I've had those options enabled since forever, but I do believe that they enabled toggling them during a game in a later patch.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Pick quick speed. It makes combat harder and good economic management more important. And it's good training for online games (they're quick speed as well).

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
So I'm not doing so well in the GMR games I'm in, and it's made me realize I'm really not as good at the game as I thought. I don't think I have a very good grasp on when to settle cities, or how far away I should be settling my cities away from my capital. Right now I tend to just wait until I have gold to buy a Settler and build the National College before settling a second city but doesn't seem to be a good strategy. I main the Maya, so that might change things in relation to their UA.

So yeah, I could use a primer on city settlement...Any thoughts?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Settlers cost 500 or so. You're not likely have that kind of money just laying around, especially early on-you'll be waiting way too long. Build it, and be aware that whilst a settler is building, you can't grow, but also can't starve either. Look at how long it'll take you to grow a point vs how long it'll take to build it. It tends to equalise around size 4-5, though this can be terrain-dependent.

You're looking for completely new luxuries first and foremost, then copies(To trade for gold or another luxury). Distance isn't necessarily a concern unless you're next to barbarians.

Hills give +defence to the city.

City square auto-generates 2 food regardless of terrain. Settling on top of a luxury can thus be useful if you need to-it'll be hooked up when you get the tech, though any secondary benefits of improving the square won't be there.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Aug 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lord Justice posted:

So I'm not doing so well in the GMR games I'm in, and it's made me realize I'm really not as good at the game as I thought. I don't think I have a very good grasp on when to settle cities, or how far away I should be settling my cities away from my capital. Right now I tend to just wait until I have gold to buy a Settler and build the National College before settling a second city but doesn't seem to be a good strategy. I main the Maya, so that might change things in relation to their UA.

So yeah, I could use a primer on city settlement...Any thoughts?

You should have placed a second city some time ago in Askia’s Insurance Fraud. The only reason I haven’t is that I plan to eat China first, as you may have noticed just now. If you get your cities down early, you can start developing them and build libraries without delaying your National College much, if at all. I aim to have two cities settled and libraries built circa turn sixty on Quick.

Take this with a grain of salt since my view of the map is pitiful, but I would consider settling between the Grand Mesa and the river. Grand Mesa isn’t a great wonder, but it’s better than an undeveloped hill (and arguably better than a mined hill pre‐Chemistry) and more importantly, it counts as a mountain so you can build an observatory in that city. Rivers are just great all around, and I see gold and horses in the vicinity. Settling next to the Grand Mesa would also deny Spain from having it, if the implications of that interest you.

The spices/lake/stone area between your capital and mine would be decent. I would normally be wary of settling that close to Egypt on flat ground, but of course I am in no place to give an honest assessment of that threat.

• Locked thread