Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Suzaku posted:

It wouldn't be a big deal if it wasn't often coupled with "don't buy this!" and a distinct lack of reasoning why. Hell, "not up to modern standards" tells anyone not familiar with what the standards are exactly nothing.

Just...if you're gonna tell someone that something is poo poo, maybe also tell them why in a meaningful way. Only saying "Don't buy any of the first 70-80 HGUCs or any of the other HG's before the 00 line" is dumb and unhelpful, and something that keeps popping up in this thread. The devil, as they say, is in the details. And a fair number of the older HGs are lovely in their own special and unique ways.

Details are important, but when you're discussing a very large range of kits some general tips are more helpful and easier to remember than a long list of "this kit has X wrong, that kit has Y wrong" for someone browsing a hobby store shelf for their first or second kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

How was the Strike Gundam with all the backpacks model?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
HG Perfect Strike uses the original HG SEED Strike, which as this conversation just established is worse than the new HGCE Aile Strike. The Perfect Strike's equipment is compatible with the HGCE though, so you can just get both.

And if you mean the MG, it was a web exclusive so if you want the full thing you're basically out of luck. You can still get the Launcher/Sword Strike along with Strike vRM and essentially get the same thing though. You just won't get the batteries.

As for how the kits themselves are, they're both exactly as clunky as you think.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

And if you mean the MG, it was a web exclusive so if you want the full thing you're basically out of luck. You can still get the Launcher/Sword Strike along with Strike vRM and essentially get the same thing though. You just won't get the batteries.

Actually you will get the batteries, since they come with the vRM Aile Strike.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Azubah posted:

How was the Strike Gundam with all the backpacks model?

Just so you're aware; if you're just after the Strike Packs, there's also the Real Grade option too. They wont combine into the Perfect Strike Pack, but they're the usual high RG quality. They come as part of the RG Skygrasper kit to complement the RG Aile Strike.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I've been playing a lot of Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn recently, and it's been making me kind of want some of the kits from the Seed and Seed Destiny line. (Say what you want about the plots and characters, they still had some pretty sweet giant stompy robot designs.)

But I've been avoiding picking up any because every time Seed kits get brought up in this thread, the immediate response is, "The old Seed HG kits are trash/they suck/they're garbage, don't bother with them." So I've been assuming they were on par with the old trash $5 No Grade G/Wing/X kits in terms of quality. :v:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

W.T. Fits posted:

I've been playing a lot of Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn recently, and it's been making me kind of want some of the kits from the Seed and Seed Destiny line. (Say what you want about the plots and characters, they still had some pretty sweet giant stompy robot designs.)

But I've been avoiding picking up any because every time Seed kits get brought up in this thread, the immediate response is, "The old Seed HG kits are trash/they suck/they're garbage, don't bother with them." So I've been assuming they were on par with the old trash $5 No Grade G/Wing/X kits in terms of quality. :v:

Well, there's always the MG line if you want good SEED/Destiny kits.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

Well, there's always the MG line if you want good SEED/Destiny kits.

The Real Grade SEED/Destiny kits are also perfectly fine if you're only after the protagonist Gundams.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Nah, they're quite a bit better than the the no-grade kits. Color separation is pretty good, seam lines aren't obnoxious, and the stickers cover most of the color changes. They could stand some detail painting, the articulation isn't as spectacular as some of the kits form the last year or two (but also isn't horrible), and the proportions are not always great, but they're perfectly cromulent kits. Panel line them up and give them a flat coat and they'll look just fine. If you paint, they'll look great.

If you want a an HG Aile Strike, get the HGCE, if you want something that has a Master Grade, consider getting the MG, but otherwise you'll be fine with any of the HGs. The only HG SEED kit I'd stay far away from is the Freedom. Holy poo poo did they gently caress up everything on that kit, from the wings, to the proportions, to the wings, to the color separation, to the wings...it is pretty much impossible to fix everything that is wrong with that kit, no matter how much work you want to put into it.

And yeah, the RG line is solid for the suits it has, as long as you're okay with fiddly bits.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Outside of Astray and Musha gundams which ones should I be aiming at if what I want is ridiculous or samurai/sengoku stuff? On the list so far is the robot unicorn rider, crossbones, and beargguys.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

signalnoise posted:

Outside of Astray and Musha gundams which ones should I be aiming at if what I want is ridiculous or samurai/sengoku stuff? On the list so far is the robot unicorn rider, crossbones, and beargguys.

The Masurao and Susanowo from 00 are both piloted by Mister Bushido, which is basically ridiculous samurai stuff put into a crazy American mecha pilot. The Masurao has beam katanas and the Susanowo has two physical blades. They're not quite as batshit crazy as the Astray or Musha stuff, but they're still pretty good stuff. I half expect Nils to come back for a fight in Build Fighters Tri this fall, and god knows he'll have some kind of insane upgrade to his Sengoku Astray.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

signalnoise posted:

Well, the HGFC Nobel Gundam has a beam ribbon or somesuch, and the HGFC Master Gundam has a horse, so there's that. Also, the Build Fighters Meteor Hopper is a little ridiculous, in an awesome way.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Suzaku posted:

Well, the HGFC Nobel Gundam has a beam ribbon or somesuch, and the HGFC Master Gundam has a horse, so there's that. Also, the Build Fighters Meteor Hopper is a little ridiculous, in an awesome way.

I love master gundam's horse so much. It makes literally no sense from a mobility standpoint if you think of the physics. Even if the propulsion system it has is better than Master Gundam's, it's adding so much more mass that it's going to take even more energy to get it moving.

Please note I'm not really :spergin: because I don't hate it. I love it. Giant Robots should be fun.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

peeNamaste posted:

I love master gundam's horse so much. It makes literally no sense from a mobility standpoint if you think of the physics. Even if the propulsion system it has is better than Master Gundam's, it's adding so much more mass that it's going to take even more energy to get it moving.

Please note I'm not really :spergin: because I don't hate it. I love it. Giant Robots should be fun.

My favorite part is that's it's piloted by a literal horse. G Gundam is really great.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Suzaku posted:

My favorite part is that's it's piloted by a literal horse. G Gundam is really great.

Oh god I forgot about that. It's so amazing.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Apropos of nothing: does anyone have experience with Kotobukiya's Armored Core line? I picked up their Ambient kit and looking at the runners and instructions, it looks to be rather more complicated than what I'm used to (i.e half-assed HGUC/HG00 builds) but the build process itself seems to be analogous to the Bandai kits. Is there anything special I should know about their kits other than that they apparently have about 20 runners?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

Apropos of nothing: does anyone have experience with Kotobukiya's Armored Core line? I picked up their Ambient kit and looking at the runners and instructions, it looks to be rather more complicated than what I'm used to (i.e half-assed HGUC/HG00 builds) but the build process itself seems to be analogous to the Bandai kits. Is there anything special I should know about their kits other than that they apparently have about 20 runners?

I've built a couple. The color separation and complexity come in between Bandai's HG and MG kits. I thought the plastic was a little more brittle. The designs I've seen are much pointier than most of what you find in the Gundam universe.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Midjack posted:

I thought the plastic was a little more brittle.

That's normal for Kotobukiya kits, sadly.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Let me preface this post by reminding everyone that HG Sazabi's leg connections suck.

Started preliminary work on a SD Neo Zeong/Sazabi kitbash, and I can confidently say that it's a loving pain in the rear end.

The Sturm Boosters or whatever are probably the only part of the SD Neo Zeong that's easy to attach. Just saw off the top parts of the Sazabi's fuel tanks, cut off the boosters' ball pegs, and glue.

Everything else is a hot mess. The shoulders have two connections to the SD's torso, so I had to cut both off. This was easy enough with the front side, but I had to do a lot of finangling to cut off enough of the back to allow the shoulders to move at all. Though maybe I shouldn't have bothered because the torso is an absolute pain. If you fit it on the waist, where it's the easiest to connect, you prevent the Sazabi's torso from moving. If you fit it onto the chest, a la Nu HWS, you end up inhibiting the side skirt armor. Also it's way harder to attach, I had to straight up dump sticky tack on it.

It's not even like the NG 1/144 FAZZ where I could easily cut off the torso half of the armor from the waist half to get a clean fit. This thing kind of looks like crap from the side, and of course the loving legs kept falling off and every time I tried to put them back on the torso and the shoulders fell off and aaaaaaargh.

So yeah, I'm thinking of just permanently attaching the armor to the Sazabi. Save myself the hassle.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
On the upside, the RG z'gok is really easy to build and very stable

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
MC Xi Gundoom is still in the mail, but here's what I just got to kill some time:

Time to see if i'll become a God or a Devil. :v:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I've put the mazinger z one together, have fun with the rubber parts.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

muike posted:

I've put the mazinger z one together, have fun with the rubber parts.

The rubber parts were fine, but gently caress THE SCREWS! :argh:

Anyway, Great Mazinger is complete:

In case you're wondering where I got the Thunder Break effect part...

"Give that back!"
"Oh yeah, like you ever used it."

Besides the previously mentioned screws(which I didn't so much screw in as I heated them up with a lighter and shoved them in), it's a good kit. A full inner frame, amazingly heavy plastic which gives it some considerable weight, and good poseability.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Would heat + shove be applicable to the pg rx78? The screws are what have had me put off finishing the legs for 4 years.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Just finished building my first Gunpla in about 10 years.

He's a handsom Space Robert.

I just gotta sand him a bit and give him some paint and boom. Bomb rear end robert.

Shinde
Mar 19, 2009
All the previous talk about old Gunpla reminded me that I should post the pictures of a 1/100 Zaku I that I recently completed. "Oh, he's probably talking about the MG Zaku I," you're probably thinking.

Nope. I bought and built the original 1/100 Zaku I model kit, originally released in 1982.

Compared with the HGUC Zaku I I have, the 1/100 Zaku I is blobby. So, so blobby:

It's trying so hard...

"I CAN BE GUNDAM TOO!" V-fin courtesy of my girlfriend's SD Build Strike kit.

Just some observations:
- It's NOT snap-fit, and there are no polycaps to speak of. There are small "guide pegs" on each part to ensure you're assembling it in the proper manner, but glue is required for the parts to stick together.
- Each part has the part number stamped on the inner side. Convenient when you have parts that HAVE to go on a certain side.
- Seam lines everywhere, and the parts don't align well. Be prepared to sand seam lines a lot to level them.
- While this kit had most of the colors correct, some parts needed paint. I decided to just paint the entire kit (by hand with Testors acrylics!) with as cartoony of a blue and green I could get to emphasize how blobby it is.
- While thigh movements are basically nil due to the (two-piece) torso/waist, the knees have a fair bit of articulation.
- The arms are also quite articulate, as you can see.
- The weapons (not pictured: Old Zaku machine gun, Zaku bazooka, and Heat Hawk) are probably the most detailed parts of the kit, and required the most panel-lining.

Overall, this was actually not too hard to build, and it also makes you realize and admire how much Bandai has stepped up their game since the 80's. I actually am curious to try out the 80's versions of the 1/100 Gouf and 1/100 Zaku II just for the hell of it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I love how god damned derpy it looks. :3:

Thanks a ton for sharing the images, you don't get to see the older kits in detail like this too much without putting in at least a modicum of effort at least

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I love those old kits. So much goofy personality.

The original Gelgoog is… certainly a thing:

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Oh wow these are amazing. It's crazy how far they've come. The originals look like Knockoffs, but that makes them all the more charming.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
They were considerably less charming when they were the only ones available, tell you what.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'll always love those terrible hands with the completely circular holes in them.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Picked up a package this afternoon. Doctor Xi is in:

Here's the box with the HG 1/144 000 Qan[t] for size reference:

Apologies for crappy lighting/picture quality; only just had a chance to take them.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
That's pretty spiffy box art there. But what word is "conaoennal" supposed to be?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Is the Strike Freedom Lightning Edition hot garbage or is it a good, cheap replacement for the PG Strike Freedom?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's basically a 1/60 HG.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TARDISman posted:

Is the Strike Freedom Lightning Edition hot garbage or is it a good, cheap replacement for the PG Strike Freedom?

A local store had one on display for years. If you want a huge Strike Freedom it's cheaper than the PG but nowhere nearly as detailed. If you want detail, get the RG.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

TARDISman posted:

If you want a PG Strike Freedom on the cheap, you'd be better off getting the Daban version. The 1/60 Lightning is pretty bleh.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
GundamGuy's got detail pictures of System Weapon 008 up. Considering they made the 007 Bazooka designed to work with the Sinanju's gimmicks, I wouldn't be surprised if you can mount it on the RG/HG Zeta. I also might end up getting one of these when I get a Powered GM Guardian, actually. The little SMG/Rifle seems a bit lacking compared to the rest of it's arsenal.

edit: Popped into one of my local model stores today, and they'd gotten in a hell of a large shipment of gundam kits, along with a full set of System Weapons. Finally got my hands on a System Weapon 004 Anti-Material Rifle, (and hopefully my computer will behave and recognise my phone so I can share pictures of my newly-customized Zaku Amazing and Gouf R35 :argh:), but what surprised the hell out of me was that they'd gotten in had a loving DENDROBIUM. And for the low price of $380AU :shepspends:. Most of the stuff they get in is usually just a general wide blend of the regular kit lines.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Aug 2, 2014

HairSlut
Nov 29, 2011

Beam spray gun finally getting some love! Shame the RG zeta has the waist issues otherwise i would get one, gonna stick a lot of those spray guns on something, then maybe stuff my dendrobium full of them as well, instead of missiles it just drops spray guns everywhere, is this a bad idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HairSlut posted:

Beam spray gun finally getting some love! Shame the RG zeta has the waist issues otherwise i would get one, gonna stick a lot of those spray guns on something, then maybe stuff my dendrobium full of them as well, instead of missiles it just drops spray guns everywhere, is this a bad idea?

Well you'd also be stuck with an additional Hyper Mega Launcher with each Beam Spray Gun, but that's not really a bad thing either :v:.

• Locked thread