Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

If your using a dread with a shotgun and you have explosive rounds you can bring on some serious pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Lemon King posted:

If your using a dread with a shotgun and you have explosive rounds you can bring on some serious pain.
Toggle explosives and switch to your secondary? I didn't even know you could do that. I did think it was awesome how explosive rounds worked with the LMG. I was able to remove both of the Arsenal's broken skills for awesome Dreadnaught substitutes.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Lemon King posted:

Nalin posted:

Toggle explosives and switch to your secondary? I didn't even know you could do that. I did think it was awesome how explosive rounds worked with the LMG. I was able to remove both of the Arsenal's broken skills for awesome Dreadnaught substitutes.

Yeah. I was there when he found that out. Try it. It's hilarious.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

So I have my hammer on my 5 key for when I want to do some thumping, but every now and then it gets taken off that key for seemingly no reason. Is anyone else having this kind of thing happen?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Shlapintogan posted:

So I have my hammer on my 5 key for when I want to do some thumping, but every now and then it gets taken off that key for seemingly no reason. Is anyone else having this kind of thing happen?
The 5 slot is kind of a dynamic slot. If you press C to bring open your calldown menu, it replaces whatever is in your 5 slot. Also, the [ and ] keys toggle through your calldowns for that slot. You are probably accidentally hitting them.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Ah, yeah, that'd be it. ] is my push-to-talk key on mumble. I'll fiddle around with it and see if I can get a better setup.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
So I'm doing the raids today. Baneclaw was a blast and decently challenging, loot sucked though. Currently dead at the bottom of a lava lake during the Kanaloa fight because I couldn't disengage turret mode quick enough so that's a skill I wouldn't recommend for that fight. Also don't bring engineers, turrets don't target him at all and the AP turret somehow doesn't damage him. So far I'm enjoying the fight though.

Having two squad 3 Thumpers in one valley with only the space in between them for enemies to spawn is loving insane too, Firecats spitting fire everywhere, Ash Dragons looking stupid all over the place, it's like the apocalypse with all that fire around you are not ready. And then the Chosen show up. Good opportunity to just hang out with a turret nest somewhere safe for just killing critters and farming their drops since those are the new bottlenecks.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Morglon posted:

Currently dead at the bottom of a lava lake during the Kanaloa fight because I couldn't disengage turret mode quick enough so that's a skill I wouldn't recommend for that fight. Also don't bring engineers, turrets don't target him at all and the AP turret somehow doesn't damage him. So far I'm enjoying the fight though.
Ah, I just completed Kanaloa too and I was wondering why engineers were whining about turrets. Most of my raid was dead at the bottom of the pit, but some Engineer walked away with a nice Tesla Rifle. The other rewards sucked, though. Not really worth it for a 20 man raid with a 7 day cooldown.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Morglon posted:

Having two squad 3 Thumpers in one valley with only the space in between them for enemies to spawn is loving insane too, Firecats spitting fire everywhere, Ash Dragons looking stupid all over the place, it's like the apocalypse with all that fire around you are not ready. And then the Chosen show up. Good opportunity to just hang out with a turret nest somewhere safe for just killing critters and farming their drops since those are the new bottlenecks.

A narrow valley you can create the ultimate kill zone in? Please give us the ;loc and we can make that a full time thing. :D

Edit: I found a thread on the public forums with a really good write-up of the modules and some nice build info. It saves me the time of trying to duplicate his work.
http://forums.firefallthegame.com/community/threads/list-of-weapon-ability-modules-their-effects-and-slot-locations.4499421/

Inimicul fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 1, 2014

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Lutz posted:

Turns out we were using the wrong method to get the video memory. Or rather, we were first checking the deprecated one that's required for WinXP, and only if that failed (which it never does), we used the recommended method. I've cleaned this up now. I've also improved texture quality on 32 bit systems or systems with low memory a lot, so textures will be a lot sharper. This won't roll out in the next patch because it needs some QA pounding, but should be in the non-hotfix one after that.
Yay! I wonder how many people this bug affected. What was happening was that Firefall was incorrectly detecting how much video memory you had. In my case, it was seeing 32MB of video memory. When this happened, it restricted itself to a 4096 x 4096 virtual texture and refused to download/load mips 0 and 1 (restricting me to the lower quality mip 2). It resulted in blurry textures.

You can see if this bug affects you by looking in your console. If you see low video memory like this...
code:
00:02 RAM:333MB FPS:60 INFO  RENDER      D3D Device Capabilities
00:02 RAM:333MB FPS:60 INFO  RENDER        Total video memory:          32 MB
... then you are affected and you will only see low quality textures.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
Just to check, is the warframe paintshop and New U not working for anyone else? I can't clickify anything.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Post poste posted:

Just to check, is the warframe paintshop and New U not working for anyone else? I can't clickify anything.
Update your Airii addon. The older versions caused this.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I am really liking the new last zone, and how we (the players) slowly unlock it by feeding the bases with darkcrystal goodads.

The design of the new zones is superb, one of the best I haven seen in a MMO, a bit worsened by some lack of polish on details of the game.

Yesterday I was helping a dude with a personal thumper 3 in a caldera. I trough the guy was clver thumping in a spot that don't spawn enemies. How wrong It was. Suddenly, enemies starting poping around in the caldera, their number bigger than 40+, with all type of creatures and choosen around. It was crazy.

This settle it for me, the released version of Firefall is the best firefall to date. They just have to polish things a lot, and slowly add nice cool high end stuff.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I can't even imagine how people are playing this without the permanent LGV and Glider Pad. On one hand, I'm very grateful that I got these free for spending too much time in the beta, on the other hand it must be pretty bad for new players. Same with the pilot token grind.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Baller Time posted:

I can't even imagine how people are playing this without the permanent LGV and Glider Pad. On one hand, I'm very grateful that I got these free for spending too much time in the beta, on the other hand it must be pretty bad for new players. Same with the pilot token grind.

As someone who just got into the game with release on steam, it's really not that bad. I've yet to run out of Glider Pads from quest rewards, and in the event I do I've gotten plenty from copper token turn ins and can craft like 50 of them.

I dropped $20 on beans and bought a bunch of gold tokens, turned those into some epics and made 20k on the marketplace. Used that to buy pilot licenses for the classes I wanted at like 35% of the store price.

Leveling isn't particularly slow either, but if you're the kind of person that needs a level 40 of every single frame I could see it being a bit tedious.

The best thing they could do is lower the bean prices on cosmetics to generate more sales. 50+ beans for things like a Decal or a Warpaint is..... dumb at best.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Back in the beta the minimap used to display what resources could be thumped where using that radar-mode when you hit tab. Is that no longer the case? All I get now is 'minimal resources detected' or some poo poo.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
The prices for these unlocks are crazy.

50 Beans for a Warframe colour unlock? That's like $5 for an unlock.

Bike is $20. That's nuts.

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

I played the beta for a bit, but stopped after it got repetitive chasing around tornadoes, applied to goon2 so I can see if it got any better.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Those Bean prices are so high because of the Credit->Bean exchange. People can decide for themselves what grind/$ ratio an item is worth for them. That also makes the exhange more active, which means alot of people just buy Beans to sell them for Credits, to buy gear on the Marketplace. This also makes Red5 able to say "You can get EVERYTHING for free!", which always sounds nice.
The whole system is blatantly stoleninspired from Cryptic, who had so much success with it that they added it to all their older f2p games. It's pretty smart.

Also, who the gently caress wrote for this game?

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
So does this mean I can buy 1 Red Bean for 100 credits?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Loving the game so far, so I think I'm going to dump some money in. Probably do $50 so it will last me awhile, what's the best way to spend this?

I'm content crafting glider pads but I definitely want that LGV. I'll probably grind to unlock the Recluse but maybe not? Beyond that my plan is to horde beans because market prices will come down over time, surely, so I'll just nab stuff when I need it.

Any suggestions from those who have already bought some beans?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Do not DO NOT ever spend red beans directly, turn them into credits then buy whatever you want on the exchange, poo poo is so much cheaper that way.

Also about that kill valley stuff I found some more spots that might work well and I took some screenshots I will upload when I can be arsed. I might also join mumble later so we can try some of those spots if I'm awake/sober/motivated/whatever.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

This game has gotten vastly more fun now I've unlocked a Tigerclaw. Going fast and blowing poo poo up with the main weapons' secondary rules.

Quick question, after Copacabana you get to level 6 and go to Northern Shores right? Now I'm level 9 and apparently Northern Shores is a 6-9 zone, but the only other visible zone I see is like level 14-15. Is there a bridging area or will I just have to grind some levels?

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Hmm.. I never dabbled in the Champions exchange.

Am I correct to say

100 currency = 2500 Crystite = 1 Bean?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
http://firefall-wiki.com/w/Ares_Supplies

fyi if you are looking for a vendor resource, the old rare component recipes are listed there. Time to start grinding for shielded crater.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Morglon posted:

Do not DO NOT ever spend red beans directly, turn them into credits then buy whatever you want on the exchange, poo poo is so much cheaper that way.

Also about that kill valley stuff I found some more spots that might work well and I took some screenshots I will upload when I can be arsed. I might also join mumble later so we can try some of those spots if I'm awake/sober/motivated/whatever.

Very few warpaints can only be bought with red beans, you're better off exchanging credits for those.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Vitamins posted:

This game has gotten vastly more fun now I've unlocked a Tigerclaw. Going fast and blowing poo poo up with the main weapons' secondary rules.

Quick question, after Copacabana you get to level 6 and go to Northern Shores right? Now I'm level 9 and apparently Northern Shores is a 6-9 zone, but the only other visible zone I see is like level 14-15. Is there a bridging area or will I just have to grind some levels?

Usually at each job board after a certain point you'll get a gold colored mission that takes you to the next hub. Thump Dump is where you'd want to be after Northern shores, it's something like 10-13 and located to the west of it. You could just take a transport to it from Copabana, though.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Pesterchum posted:

Usually at each job board after a certain point you'll get a gold colored mission that takes you to the next hub. Thump Dump is where you'd want to be after Northern shores, it's something like 10-13 and located to the west of it. You could just take a transport to it from Copabana, though.

You get the job that takes you to the next area by outleveling your current area. So once you hit 10, you'll get one that leads you to Thump Dump.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

I never noticed that quest before, maybe it didn't trigger or something, but it seems to be working fine now. Thanks!

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

jerichojx posted:

The prices for these unlocks are crazy.

50 Beans for a Warframe colour unlock? That's like $5 for an unlock.

Bike is $20. That's nuts.

It costs over $100 dollars for 1 year of VIP, and the same for the digital deluxe upgrade. Red5 is obviously counting on the whales to generate enough money for this game to be profitable.

Baller Time posted:

Those Bean prices are so high because of the Credit->Bean exchange.

Bean prices have been this high from their introduction, which was 2 years ago. People complained about it back then, too. That was long before the credit exchange ever existed. Besides that, if bean prices were lower, then credit values would have simply adjusted to compensate.

Apple Craft fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 2, 2014

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
I got my eye on Team Midair. But it's $5

$1 is more like it.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Ville Valo posted:

You get the job that takes you to the next area by outleveling your current area. So once you hit 10, you'll get one that leads you to Thump Dump.

Ahh, I was wondering what triggered it to appear. I always thought it was just finishing all the other jobs at the board! That makes sense, though.

imatree
Nov 18, 2005
ok...

Grimey Drawer

jerichojx posted:

I got my eye on Team Midair. But it's $5

$1 is more like it.

I remember in the beta when I played, the paint unlocks were a one time use only. You had to buy one for every frame. I did eventually cave in and bought the midair one for my recluse, and although I still have it on that frame, it's locked for all the others.

Internet Nobody
May 17, 2009
applied as TomBruise

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Random lovely screencap of my favourite area so far - north Sertao, to be precise.

Shame the hud clutter gets captured too - and this is hardly optimal settings - but the view was too pretty to pass up!

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Applied to the goon2 army in game. Do people in the army do a lot of group raids and activity, or is it mostly solo?

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
This has probably been asked somewhere in this thread already but I don't want to read through it all.

If I unlock an advanced frame, do I have to level it from 1 or does it start at the level the base frame is at when I unlock it. For example, I'm level 15 in assault. If I unlock the Firecat does it start at 1 or 15?

SamEyeAm fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 3, 2014

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Well I applied to Goon2 as Amber Crack. I have no idea where the name Amber Crack came from but I somehow came up with it during beta.

permanoob
Sep 28, 2004

Yeah it's a lot like that.

SamEyeAm posted:

This has probably been asked somewhere in this thread already but I don't want to read through it all.

If I unlock an advanced frame, do I have to level it from 1 or does it start at the level the base frame is at when I unlock it. For example, I'm level 15 in assault. If I unlock the Firecat does it start at 1 or 15?

Starts at 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Applied to Goon2 as LostHammer. I took my name from the Xcom operation prefixes and suffixes.

• Locked thread