Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

DrSunshine posted:

Cabbage Corp must've built their airships out of tin, if a not-particularly-bulky teenage girl could just pry and bend everything like it was a can of sardines!
Actually it's highly-purified cabbage. On the plus side, it's unbendable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Isn't Asami actually a pretty well trained (and likely strong) martial artist? We haven't seen it in a while, but given she's traveling with the Avatar I doubt she's slacking on training.

If I remmber right she took out one of those bikers in a pretty cool way.

Haha, Avatar has bikers.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Calico Heart posted:

If I remmber right she took out one of those bikers in a pretty cool way.

Haha, Avatar has bikers.

FIREBENDING ON MOTORCYCLES!!!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Actually it's highly-purified cabbage. On the plus side, it's unbendable.

Can't cabbages be blood-bended? (Bloodbent?)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

What kind of cabbages do you eat?

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Rexides posted:

Well, I am happy that the motives of this season's villains are grounded in reality instead of being stupid esoteric lore bullshit, but I wonder how it's going to be handled with only a few episodes left.

Am I wrong, or didn't they say that season 3 and 4 were one overarching plot this time, instead of self contained like seasons 1 and 2? We may not see the end of the Red Lotus this season.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

FIREBENDING ON MOTORCYCLES!!!

Not cabbages that have been turned into metal, no.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Octopode posted:

Am I wrong, or didn't they say that season 3 and 4 were one overarching plot this time, instead of self contained like seasons 1 and 2? We may not see the end of the Red Lotus this season.
I don't think Book 4 is going have any more connection to Book 3 than Book 3 has had to Book 2.
Which is to say, I'm reasonably certain the Red Lotus will have been dealt with by the end of Book 3, but the aftermath will probably introduce the lead in to Book 4.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Genocyber posted:

Red cabbage.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Personally, I'm wondering if Book 4 isn't going to tie everything else together. We've already learned that Book 2 and Book 3 are connected, what if Amon was part of the Red Lotus too? Another cell, working from a different direction for the same ends?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Bloodbending isn't literally bending blood, it's bending the water in the blood. And cabbages are full of water.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

Bloodbending isn't literally bending blood, it's bending the water in the blood. And cabbages are full of water.

That would be plantbending, like what the Foggy Swamp Tribe do.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Genocyber posted:

That would be plantbending, like what the Foggy Swamp Tribe do.

I forgot about swampbending.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Lessail posted:

do you even watch the show

computer parts posted:

To be honest they're more articulate than most anarchists regarding their end game beliefs.
I do watch the show. I suppose I jumped the gun by condemning the Red Lotus' characterization before the story is even over. Zaheer wasn't going to lay it all out when he wasn't yet sure of victory. He hasn't even explained what he wants the Avatar for.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Personally, I'm wondering if Book 4 isn't going to tie everything else together. We've already learned that Book 2 and Book 3 are connected, what if Amon was part of the Red Lotus too? Another cell, working from a different direction for the same ends?

I think this'll be the case. Like, Korra defeats Zaheer this book but then we find out that the Red Lotus is much bigger than it seemed and manages more of the world than you'd expect.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Maybe book 4 will be dealing with all the sleeper agents of the Red Lotus and figuring out who their grand master (Jiabao?) really is.
Spoilers, it's a cabbage.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Isn't Asami actually a pretty well trained (and likely strong) martial artist? We haven't seen it in a while, but given she's traveling with the Avatar I doubt she's slacking on training.
I always got the impression that she was in the "skilled but not particularly strong" range, perhaps because she uses a weapon that can send people down in one shot and doesn't display as many acrobatics as Ty Lee. Her fights tend to be really short, she generally begins them with a sneak attack to reduce the opposition and prefers to have her opponents down very quickly. Compare with Korra, who is physically strong and prefers to hit the opposition relentlessly until their defense breaks.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Asami is the Yamcha of the group.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Kegslayer posted:

I'm actually hoping they'd recreate Aang's assault on Ba Sing Se but with Zaheer's team. It's been a while since we saw a massive bender battle.

This would be awesome.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

hiddenriverninja posted:

This would be awesome.

This, except with Team Korra also invading from the other side, and with the Earth Queen in the middle. A titanic, three-way bending hullabaloo!

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

DrSunshine posted:

This, except with Team Korra also invading from the other side, and with the Earth Queen in the middle. A titanic, three-way bending hullabaloo!

The icing on the cake would be the Earth Queen revealing that she's a King Bumi-tier Earthbender.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Asami is the Yamcha of the group.
She hasn't died within minutes of appearing yet.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.
My guess is that the Red Lotus wants to separate Raava from the Avatar, and tie her back together with Vaatu.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

X_Toad posted:

I always got the impression that she was in the "skilled but not particularly strong" range, perhaps because she uses a weapon that can send people down in one shot and doesn't display as many acrobatics as Ty Lee. Her fights tend to be really short, she generally begins them with a sneak attack to reduce the opposition and prefers to have her opponents down very quickly. Compare with Korra, who is physically strong and prefers to hit the opposition relentlessly until their defense breaks.

Asami hasn't shown as many gymnastic moves as Ty Lee, but she's still got plenty. Just in this season she managed to do a flip over a motorcycle and zap one of the riders.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Asami's the Gadget of the group. She doesn't do much, but its nice to have her around in a jam.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 2, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Octopode posted:

I'm going to just put it out there: every single season of Korra, despite some weak episodes always had this promise of something amazing for the finale and then it turned into a joke.

Book 1: Amon and the Equalists: Non-benders making a serious stand against the bending culture, tons of exciting philosophical potential, ends on the bullshit deus ex machina of Korra magically regaining her bending and able to cure all those who Amon blocked.

Book 2: Delving deep into the spiritual world, Korra becoming conflicted in terms of who should teach her how to be the avatar, evil spirits are introduced, and the series ends with a Kaijuu fight between glowing bad guy and glowing Korra with random help from Jinora.

The Korra writers may know how to lay the framework for a great story, but when it comes to resolving it they literally make up something on the spot to tie it up.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

X_Toad posted:

The shock glove wasn't always part of her style, though. She was shown in Book 1 to be pretty capable in hand-to-hand before getting the glove. Hell, I'm shocked she hasn't gotten a second one yet.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Just bring one of those mech things around with you, in like a crate or something. Oh man, I hope she totally has one on that airship and she busts it out for the finale.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Just give her a gun.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
This was a terrible episode. Exceedingly boring for the majority of its running time (i.e. until the cool fight during the final few minutes), overly talky (which isn't problem if anything that's being said is interesting, but there wasn't) and almost nothing of interest for Nickelodeon's intended audience. You can really see why they yanked the show right before this point and why this was the first ep not even getting broadcast on TV at all anymore. These writers are just hopeless.

The AV Club review score for this is absolutely ridiculous and embarrassing, but that's pretty par for the course for them at this point (not just with this show but with many others as well). I'm not sure why I even read them anymore, tbh. Force of habit, I guess.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

My guess is that the Red Lotus wants to separate Raava from the Avatar, and tie her back together with Vaatu.

oh yeah that might be one of their things to do

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Why would they muzzle korra ? Has she shown ability to bend with her face like Bumi?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Babygravy posted:

Why would they muzzle korra ? Has she shown ability to bend with her face like Bumi?

She's used fire breath.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Things I can't ever imagine someone in that universe saying: "Boy, I sure wish we were less careful about how we imprisoned the Avatar."

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

DoctorWhat posted:

She's used fire breath.

Killer robot posted:

Things I can't ever imagine someone in that universe saying: "Boy, I sure wish we were less careful about how we imprisoned the Avatar."

Touché people.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Babygravy posted:

Touché people.

And of course, more importantly, it's a striking visual shorthand for "dehumanizing restraint" and is a visual quote from one of the most influential films in decades.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

The shock glove wasn't always part of her style, though. She was shown in Book 1 to be pretty capable in hand-to-hand before getting the glove. Hell, I'm shocked she hasn't gotten a second one yet.
Asami's fighting style before the shock glove is honestly a bit of a head-scratcher for me. All the bad guys she's taken down on screen, she's taken down with the help of some sort of electrifying weapon, and I'm just wondering what her fighting style looked before that?

As for a second shock glove, I've come to the conclusion that hers is the only one that remains in the entire world. Plus, I'm not sure that it would be smart to have both arms weighted down by that thing. Hiroshi kind of didn't have a choice because he's not a physical fighter, but she does.

Irish Joe posted:

Asami's the Gadget of the group. She doesn't do much, but its nice to have her around in a jam.
I believe that Gadget was a lot more integral and useful to the Rescue Rangers than Asami is to Team Avatar.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Are all of you forgetting that this whole season is happening because they are in her airship?

She's the wallet of the group.

less laughter posted:

This was a terrible episode. Exceedingly boring for the majority of its running time (i.e. until the cool fight during the final few minutes), overly talky (which isn't problem if anything that's being said is interesting, but there wasn't) and almost nothing of interest for Nickelodeon's intended audience. You can really see why they yanked the show right before this point and why this was the first ep not even getting broadcast on TV at all anymore. These writers are just hopeless.

The AV Club review score for this is absolutely ridiculous and embarrassing, but that's pretty par for the course for them at this point (not just with this show but with many others as well). I'm not sure why I even read them anymore, tbh. Force of habit, I guess.

As someone who's watched this show in its entirety in the last two weeks, this is probably the best episode they've ever had.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

TheModernAmerican posted:

Are all of you forgetting that this whole season is happening because they are in her airship?

She's the Appa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
What Asami is, is the obvious tag-along. She really has no reason to be part of team at this point. In fact, she's CEO of one of the world's largest megacorps, so you think she'd has way more important things to do than traipse around the Earth Kingdom and take a weeks vacation in Zaofu.

Honestly Asami would be way better as a supporting character. She could be the old friend who bankrolls Korra and provides her with shiny new toys, uses her connections to forward intel from Republic City, and maybe have an episode where she rolls up with a cavalry of some kind and gets a badass moment. As it stands the writers just can't seem to come up with enough for her to do onscreen as a main character, which is just wasting the character at this point.

• Locked thread