Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jibo posted:

Is this a jailbreak only thing or what? Having trouble finding info on this.

It's not.

http://gba4ios.angelxwind.net/download/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Jibo posted:

Is this a jailbreak only thing or what? Having trouble finding info on this.

No. Download it from the site via safari on ios, then set the date to yesterday in the settings. Lainch the app, and it will run. You have to do this each time the phone powers off to launch it, but it runs awesomely.

Edit: you can set the date back to normal once it launches.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

In Tiny Tower Vegas, my 7th floor was $12,000 now my 8th floor is $48,000 isn't that a big jump?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Flame112 posted:

Wow, what route did you take? I thought my 66 day trip was pretty decent.
I discovered a few secrets while talking to staff and crew with the right items. I took the trans-Siberian to Urga (which is a mag-lev train that you can bully the conductor into levitating if you flirt with the girl), then discovered the Garuda to fly direct to Yokohama, then went Manila, Honolulu, across the States in a train, then from New York I got an airship direct to London. I had to miss a couple lucrative item-selling points but I made up for it by getting £7k for a Buddha statue in Yokohama.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Man I wish they'd fully taken advantage of the ipad format and added async play for Blood Bowl.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

obi_ant posted:

In Tiny Tower Vegas, my 7th floor was $12,000 now my 8th floor is $48,000 isn't that a big jump?

Wait until you get to floor 37. Mine are at >$3m :negative:

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

Man I wish they'd fully taken advantage of the ipad format and added async play for Blood Bowl.

Whoa! No async?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pretty much a straight port of the PC versions. Sit down and play through the whole match.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

SynthOrange posted:

Whilst there are only half a dozen skills that require opponent interaction on your turn, they can be cornerstones of certain teams. I don't know what would be worse; letting Cyanide redesign it around async or having them try to write an AI to use them sensibly.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh yeah, and I suppose there's always the outnumbered tackles as well that require you to pick. hmm.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So what is the game du jour that goons are losing their poo poo over? 80 days looks neat but very limited replay ability.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

SquadronROE posted:

So what is the game du jour that goons are losing their poo poo over? 80 days looks neat but very limited replay ability.

I'd say this is false, honestly. The big selling point of the game is how much it branches out based on your decisions-- we're not talking in a "fake" way like The Walking Dead where it just feels like your decisions have an impact, there are tons and tons of routes to take and decisions to make on those routes that all play out in different ways. You could easily play through 3 times and see very few of the same scenarios, and you're encouraged to do so by the structure of the game.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

goferchan posted:

I'd say this is false, honestly. The big selling point of the game is how much it branches out based on your decisions-- we're not talking in a "fake" way like The Walking Dead where it just feels like your decisions have an impact, there are tons and tons of routes to take and decisions to make on those routes that all play out in different ways. You could easily play through 3 times and see very few of the same scenarios, and you're encouraged to do so by the structure of the game.

Oh, very cool then. I'll give it a shot!

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah, and in addition the game takes a different "seed" for each playthrough, so the options presented to you and the scenarios that arise will be different even where you make the same choices about where to go than last time.

My second attempt was nowhere near as lucky as my first -- I got cholera in Manila and my airship crashed and sunk into the Pacific ocean. :(

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

FREEMIUM GAME!

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

Pretty much a straight port of the PC versions. Sit down and play through the whole match.

Does this not make leagues awkward as everyone has to wait until they can play real time wig some people playing more regularly and others not keeping up?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

MissMarple posted:

Whilst there are only half a dozen skills that require opponent interaction on your turn, they can be cornerstones of certain teams. I don't know what would be worse; letting Cyanide redesign it around async or having them try to write an AI to use them sensibly.

Also, I got the impression you could get matched against PC players (or at least PC players playing compatible teams?) so doing async would have removed a pretty decent sized chunk of possible opponents.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Regarding Band of Monsters, how do you guys put up with the dialog? Bad grammar aside, even if it was properly written id be sick of it.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Stumpus posted:

Regarding Band of Monsters, how do you guys put up with the dialog? Bad grammar aside, even if it was properly written id be sick of it.

Hold down on the screen. It is a jrpg, who cares about the plot?

The plot is bad guy has a plan to rule the world, but needs a mcguffin. Hero has the mcguffin and wants to stop the bad guy. At some point the hero needs to awaken his true power and save the day at the 11th hour.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 2, 2014

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

Can anyone recommend any Youtube channels that deals just with iOS game reviews/play throughs? I've got enough PC gaming Youtubers to subscribe to but wondered if anyone just focuses on iOS games.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
First thing that comes to mind is TA Plays Twitch Channel but they haven't been doing that during the summer (hopefully it is coming back though?)

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

TouchArcade is a decent place for reviews.

E:FB

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Roobsa posted:

Can anyone recommend any Youtube channels that deals just with iOS game reviews/play throughs? I've got enough PC gaming Youtubers to subscribe to but wondered if anyone just focuses on iOS games.

Appspy are my go-to for video reviews/previews.
They don't cover as much as others might, but what they do they do well.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Lancelot posted:

My second attempt was nowhere near as lucky as my first -- I got cholera in Manila and my airship crashed and sunk into the Pacific ocean. :(
Trip report incoming:

In my first and only run so far I had a mutiny and near-drowning on my way to Manila, which I knew to have a serious Cholera outbreak. Crossing from Manila to Honolulu, The Master and I delivered a baby girl successfully.On the Transcontinental Railroad we were robbed, and going from New Orleans to New York I learned to box, then used that to defeat a man in single combat, earning the majority of the fare for out airship to London. We returned on Day 65 and after the 20,000 pounds won from the wager, The Mezzer came ahead by ~10,500 pounds. I found a love of Istanbul that makes me yearn for a time when it will be safe to travel to.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Hell yeah, 56 days baby.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Someone mentioned it earlier but A Dark Room owns. Seriously it's free right now and it's incredibly clever and very compelling. Has anyone managed to get the alternate ending?

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

Sad lions posted:

Appspy are my go-to for video reviews/previews.
They don't cover as much as others might, but what they do they do well.

Just checked them out. Pretty decent reviews. Watched the Blood Bowl one and based on their video, I won't be buying it.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Roobsa posted:

Just checked them out. Pretty decent reviews. Watched the Blood Bowl one and based on their video, I won't be buying it.

I like the AppSpy reviews overall, but honestly that was a terrible one. Blood Bowl has a real lovely tutorial, but if you go online and read the actual manual (available directly from Games Workshop for free), everything he whines about makes complete sense. It's unfortunate that they couldn't somehow put it all together into a comprehensive in-game tutorial, but to be honest this isn't the kind of game aimed at the casual iOS player. In the 10 minutes he spent griping about everything, he could have had a quick run-through of the actual manual and then proceeded to have fun with the game.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Evfedu posted:

Someone mentioned it earlier but A Dark Room owns. Seriously it's free right now and it's incredibly clever and very compelling. Has anyone managed to get the alternate ending?

It is really, really good. And seconding the earlier suggestion to go in totally blind.

Not sure about the alternate ending, but I suspect I'm nearing one of the endings. Just assembled a spaceship, which kind of came out of left field.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Enigma posted:

It is really, really good. And seconding the earlier suggestion to go in totally blind.

Not sure about the alternate ending, but I suspect I'm nearing one of the endings. Just assembled a spaceship, which kind of came out of left field.
I started on going for the alternate ending but...
it requires you to never build huts, so I could see it being really annoying to get without that income flow. Also, apparently it's only a couple of changed lines near the end so I'm probably not going to spend the time getting it.

It's worth listening to all the developer commentary though.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I spent about 3 hours on A Dark Room yesterday and enjoyed it. I listened to some of the commentary and at one point he mentioned the Anno series style of resource management being a big infulence. I love the Anno games, but haven't found anything on iOS that offers the kind of supply chain simulation that those games do. Any suggestions? I would prefer it if it didn't have a freemium currency, but I'm ok with free games that are turned premium by one-time purchases.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 3, 2014

Clockwork Beast!
Jan 18, 2007

Clockwork beast! Clockwork beast! We're doomed!

greasyhands posted:

I spent about 3 hours on A Dark Room yesterday and enjoyed it. I listened to some of the commentary and at one point he mentioned the Anno series style of resource management being a big infulence. I love the Anno games, but haven't found anything on iOS that offers the kind of supply chain simulation that those games do. Any suggestions? I would prefer it if it didn't have a freemium currency, but I'm ok with free games that are turned premium by one-time purchases.

So just to say, Anno is coming to iOS. It's ipad only and definitely freemium, but it's Anno. It's soft-launched in Canada so we should see it shortly. We'll see how much bullshit the IAP is.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Anno is loving spectacular and it blew my mind away at how true to 1404 it is. They've dumbed the interface down FAAAAAR more than they needed to because iOS gamers are simpletons that play tiny tower so it takes more time to run through menus in a game full of menus, get through quests in a game that throws them at you and lay down roads and buildings in a game where you'll be laying down thousands of homes and more road layout work than you ever thought possible in a game. Other than that one detail, it's a great game and I can't believe it came from Ubisoft.

All that being said, I haven't gotten far enough to see how bad the iap is. There are loads of things to buy with gems, your second currency that didn't exist in any anno game, and this is a game by Ubisoft so I wouldn't be surprised to see it take a nosedive at some point.

Someone with less dignity than I will play far enough to let us know how bad it gets but until that person finds that point, I want them to know that they'll, at least, have fun getting there.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Is there anyone who's played the online freemium game as well as the ios game and can give a comparison?

Dr Rotcod
May 20, 2004
I see the consistently reoccurring disappointment and failure you will continue to cause yourselves.
I highly recommend A Dark Room if you want 2-3 hours to kill. Go into it completely blind as someone else said earlier.

Any other recommendations for games that have a similar mysterious and intuitive feel to them ? I have a hard time finding games I like and that one took me completely by surprise.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It seems that Halfbrick decided to make Colossatron free on July 26.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Dr Rotcod posted:

I highly recommend A Dark Room if you want 2-3 hours to kill. Go into it completely blind as someone else said earlier.

Any other recommendations for games that have a similar mysterious and intuitive feel to them ? I have a hard time finding games I like and that one took me completely by surprise.

If you want something similar, the browser game Candy Box is a lot like A Dark Room, and A Dark Room was clearly very inspired by that. It's not on iOS, but it's another game that's a good couple hours of discovery.

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

Just played through 80 days for the first time, on the advice of the people in this thread who liked it. If you are on the fence about this game, I'd heartily recommend picking it up.

The writing is awesome, and the variety is pretty astounding. I'm on my second play though now, but I reckon you'd need to go through it about 10 times to see everything.

I failed in my first play through, ending up back in London after 87 days, but the adventure was great. Staged a mutiny, became a sky pirate, learned to box, punched Jessie James in the face and had a gay kiss with Death in New Orleans.

If you decide to jump in, be careful with your money. If you can sell something for a large markup, do it. A few of the last legs of the journey are loving expensive.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yeah, A Dark Room kicks tons of rear end. I have no idea why it's free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

As much as I liked sorcery 80 days is by far my new favorite inkle game. It captures the feeling of being on a long journey with some jerk pretty well. Also it's like the only cyoa that I'm doing a second play-through of after I got to the end.

• Locked thread