Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Commander Keenan posted:

New arena FPS called Toxikk is coming out. The trailer is below. Hoping that this, combined with UT2015 and CliffyB's new game, revives the arena FPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B28oQvaL7Mg
NOT FREE TO PLAY
Instead of being free, we are just going to charge a box price and then still have microtransactions. Enjoy this NOT FREE TO PLAY game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I will never understand why Free to Play is something bad to "hardcore gamers." TF2 went F2P and it's still great, Quake Live is free and great, but so many people still think free games are korean grind fests or something.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Elliotw2 posted:

I will never understand why Free to Play is something bad to "hardcore gamers." TF2 went F2P and it's still great, Quake Live is free and great, but so many people still think free games are korean grind fests or something.

Because most "free to play" games are way more similar to korean grind fests than to TF2 or Quake Live.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Wadjamaloo posted:

NOT FREE TO PLAY
Instead of being free, we are just going to charge a box price and then still have microtransactions. Enjoy this NOT FREE TO PLAY game.

Have they said that this will be the case? You can preorder the game on their website for 15$ which seems like reasonable pricing to me and I haven't seen anything about microtransactions.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
When someone says something is free, it implies that they are going to gently caress you over in some way unless you pay them money. It's all a matter of how big of an inconvenience that is for you. Some games are monetized in a way that doesn't affect me at all so those are the games that I like. Others?...

Well let's just say that if you ever tried to play games in your iPhone you know exactly what the gently caress to expect when a game claims to be free. Pay mobile titles are already working their way into Steam. TF2 and Quake Live are the exceptions that prove the rule.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 2, 2014

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Prenton posted:

That sounds like it's nicked from the godawful Smithsonian level in Duke It Out In DC.

Oh my god, I remember spending what felt like forever going through that map. So good.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Kamrat posted:

Have they said that this will be the case? You can preorder the game on their website for 15$ which seems like reasonable pricing to me and I haven't seen anything about microtransactions.
All of the pre order bonuses real of them adding a cash shop. It looks like they are planning a bait and switch.
You have to pay extra money just to have a clan.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Wadjamaloo posted:

All of the pre order bonuses real of them adding a cash shop. It looks like they are planning a bait and switch.

Seems like I didn't look hard enough, blaming this on it being late over here.

Charging money for having a clan seems weird, but the skins wouldn't bother me that much if they use a similar system to the one CS:GO uses where you can unlock skins for free during play.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Wadjamaloo posted:

Oh no some camo skins!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh yeah? Well I think I heard they had some of the quake 2 optimizations included too? Or maybe they ended up doing those same improvements to the Quake 1 engine independently of Id. :shrug: Its been awhile since I talked serious goldsrc.
It's both. The original release of GoldSrc used some netcode stuff from QuakeWorld and Quake 2, but that was rewritten entirely for the Steam release.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Oh no some camo skins!
Its mostly the selling clans that is scummy as of now, but the entire tier system just reaks of plans to add a cash shop. If a cash shop is not planned already, it will be once the playerbase bitches they can't get exclusive pre-order skins everyone else has.
The whole draw of being "not free to play" is the idea that buying the game gets you the game, the whole game, the entire game. Their current model is not that.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
DLC is awesome, because it gives developers an opportunity to keep making money off of people who cannot resist giving them more money.

But then again

Bloodmobile posted:

That looks more like Tribes without jetpacks than an actual arena fps.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

A shooter named Lovely Planet came out on Steam a couple of days ago, plays in a way that might appeal to people who read this thread. Check out its thread if you're interested, or just look at the cool gif in the op. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654833

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Wadjamaloo posted:

Its mostly the selling clans that is scummy as of now, but the entire tier system just reaks of plans to add a cash shop. If a cash shop is not planned already, it will be once the playerbase bitches they can't get exclusive pre-order skins everyone else has.
The whole draw of being "not free to play" is the idea that buying the game gets you the game, the whole game, the entire game. Their current model is not that.

While I agree with you, it is not uncommon for any ol' random game to ship with pre-order skins for stuff. I wouldn't pull out my pitchfork just yet.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Preorder bonuses tend to become DLC down the line anyway, so if you want those skins really bad just wait until they release that.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

TF2 and Quake Live are the exceptions that prove the rule.

The inferior version of Quake 3 that gives you like 2 playable maps and 18 garbage ones a month unless you pay 40$/year is a great example of a f2p game done right.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

While I agree with you, it is not uncommon for any ol' random game to ship with pre-order skins for stuff. I wouldn't pull out my pitchfork just yet.
DLC is not that much different than free to play, unless its large DLC packs that add massive amounts of content. Its got all the same negatives that a free to play model has. The biggest argument against free to play is that the developer focus is shifted away from "how do we make a good game that sells well" to "how do we make things people will buy" The 2 sound similar, but they aren't. Map pack DLC like the poster above me mentioned is something I could see toxikk doing, but time will tell.
I stand by the fact that selling clans is incredibly scummy, and their current pay model definitely goes against the spirit of what the emblazoned "NO FREE TO PLAY" is trying to provoke.

Free to play is not always bad, ie Dota and tf2, but it has a nasty reputation of really damaging games that could have been good.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Toxikk's hatred for F2P becomes extra funny when you read this and realise that if the times had allowed him, Carmack would have made Quake F2P in 1996.

A Worrying Warlock fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 2, 2014

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Toxikk's hatred for F2P becomes extra funny when you read this and realise that if the times had allowed him, Carmack would have made Quake F2P in 1996.

Could do with the fact that Quake heralded the end of the shareware era. The game was too large to distribute over the Internet, so instead id sold the CDs in stores for $10, with the full game locked away, the CD key available from id for $45. Rampant piracy ensued.

Perhaps id was still feeling the burn from that, and that's partially why QuakeWorld wasn't freemium.

Edit: EDuke32's Facebook page posted this, with the caption "Not much longer now:"

Some fun quotes from the post:
  • "P.s. this is an officially licensed port of Duke Nukem 3D that will come with the full game and replace the garbage that's on the Play Store now."

• "If they like the Android product, I'll definitely look at seeing about extending our license to cover iOS!"

• "We don't have any of those problems [present in the current mobile version of Duke 3D]... we also don't have any problem taking your money for our work. ;) The thing about the one that's out now is that it's "free", but episodes 2 and 3 (4 is not available) were in-app purchases. I'm not sure who would want to buy them after seeing how bad the game was. Ours will be a single purchase of the full version as it is on Steam."

• "Modding will be supported and our license includes several items, including the ones you mentioned [Duke it Out in DC/Duke Caribbean/Nuclear Winter] and a few others. An iOS port is technically possible, but I think Apple's weird app store rules actually prevent any version of the game from being there (even the existing one, technically) because CON scripts are interpreted text and the game compiles and executes them."

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 2, 2014

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Segmentation Fault posted:

Could do with the fact that Quake heralded the end of the shareware era. The game was too large to distribute over the Internet, so instead id sold the CDs in stores for $10, with the full game locked away, the CD key available from id for $45. Rampant piracy ensued.

It was even better than that, I remember the CD had the full versions of every single id game locked up and of course there was a crack released shortly.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

qcrack.exe made a lot of teenagers very happy

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Anyone familiar with Duke Nukem 3D con editing? How would I go about decreasing the amount of damage enemies do because JESUS CHRIST Duke is like paper mache in this game.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

[*]"Modding will be supported and our license includes several items, including the ones you mentioned [Duke it Out in DC/Duke Caribbean/Nuclear Winter] and a few others. An iOS port is technically possible, but I think Apple's weird app store rules actually prevent any version of the game from being there (even the existing one, technically) because CON scripts are interpreted text and the game compiles and executes them."

I wonder if Apple actually realizes how far that rule goes? Reading it strictly, Spacechem can't get an iOS port, Minecraft PE can never have redstone, etc etc etc

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Perhaps id was still feeling the burn from that, and that's partially why QuakeWorld wasn't freemium.

Edit: EDuke32's Facebook page posted this, with the caption "Not much longer now:"

Some fun quotes from the post:
  • "P.s. this is an officially licensed port of Duke Nukem 3D that will come with the full game and replace the garbage that's on the Play Store now."

• "If they like the Android product, I'll definitely look at seeing about extending our license to cover iOS!"

• "We don't have any of those problems [present in the current mobile version of Duke 3D]... we also don't have any problem taking your money for our work. ;) The thing about the one that's out now is that it's "free", but episodes 2 and 3 (4 is not available) were in-app purchases. I'm not sure who would want to buy them after seeing how bad the game was. Ours will be a single purchase of the full version as it is on Steam."

• "Modding will be supported and our license includes several items, including the ones you mentioned [Duke it Out in DC/Duke Caribbean/Nuclear Winter] and a few others. An iOS port is technically possible, but I think Apple's weird app store rules actually prevent any version of the game from being there (even the existing one, technically) because CON scripts are interpreted text and the game compiles and executes them."

gently caress yes. Touchscreen controls are gonna suck no matter what, but I would suffer through them to play Duke 3D on my tablet :allears:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'll finally be able to play Duke Nukem 3D while taking a poo poo, the way God Duke intended.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Keiya posted:

I wonder if Apple actually realizes how far that rule goes? Reading it strictly, Spacechem can't get an iOS port, Minecraft PE can never have redstone, etc etc etc

They are aware exactly how far that goes.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Keiya posted:

There's a straight up Commodore BASIC interpreter you can get with its own graphics drawing script. I think Duke3D will be OK.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Also, I guess they were trying to go for some sort of warm nostalgia in that trailer, but they kind of come across as annoyingly smug.

:smuggo:Yeah, we're not going to have stuff like regenerating health, man, because that's for scrubs. No, we couldn't even make it optional if we wanted to. You know what we do have? Memorable weapons. Can't you already see how memorable they are? And we definitely won't do free to play, because that's new poo poo that nobody likes, right? Could you imagine if classic games like Quake or Team Fortress were ftp? No, Quake Live and Team Fortress 2, go away!

I wonder if these people thought most of the latter half of DooM 2 was well-designed and enjoy scouring the same loving textures for keyhunts, too.

UT3's campaign wasn't awful, it was just pretty generic. The Voice Acting was solid and storyline was pretty decent, it's just that it would have fit in a more SP-oriented game than loving UT3 of all things. I'd have paid my arms to have a better, risk-oriented team management UT2004-style campaign.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

JackMackerel posted:

I wonder if these people thought most of the latter half of DooM 2 was well-designed and enjoy scouring the same loving textures for keyhunts, too.

They probably like Brutal Doom too.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Anyone familiar with Duke Nukem 3D con editing? How would I go about decreasing the amount of damage enemies do because JESUS CHRIST Duke is like paper mache in this game.
Open up USER.CON and take a look at the values there (use any text editor) You're gonna want to reduce enemy health rather than nerf damage values because both them and Duke do the same damage. I don't really agree with Duke being weak though, how are you playing the game? Treat it like a mix of Doom and Half-life, because Duke can move fast but you will need to tank some shots which is where finding secrets come into the game.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Jblade posted:

Open up USER.CON and take a look at the values there (use any text editor) You're gonna want to reduce enemy health rather than nerf damage values because both them and Duke do the same damage. I don't really agree with Duke being weak though, how are you playing the game? Treat it like a mix of Doom and Half-life, because Duke can move fast but you will need to tank some shots which is where finding secrets come into the game.

Well DN3D has a lot more hitscan attacks from enemies, and on Let's Rock we're looking at lizard captains (chaingun arm dudes) taking away 15 - 20 health very, very quickly. I still love it though. Godamn, that 2001 trailer for DNF looked like the greatest game ever made.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Doom 3 turns ten years old today. Sweet jesus, has it really been that long?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxx5gqLZ2hY

Or if you want a twist to your nostalgia, here's the 2002 E3 demo played through "as intended".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXzJ0wFj-ag

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

The Kins posted:

Doom 3 turns ten years old today. Sweet jesus, has it really been that long?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxx5gqLZ2hY

Or if you want a twist to your nostalgia, here's the 2002 E3 demo played through "as intended".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXzJ0wFj-ag

gently caress, I feel old.

I never really finished Doom 3, might be time.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Kamrat posted:

gently caress, I feel old.

I never really finished Doom 3, might be time.

Nah. At least Resurrection of Evil has a fun gimmick or two. The base game becomes pointless half-way through.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Man, that can't be Doom 3, I can actually see what the dude's doing and shooting at.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
So here's a kind of dumb question!

I like how the PS1 version of Quake 2 looks because it's sharper and has more colors. The PC version is too brown and orange and blurry. Is there a mod or source port that can make it look like the PS1 version? I could just play that one but the controls make it impossible.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

You can use knightmare quake 2, which lets you crank the graphics settings to make it less blurry, or you can emulate the PS1 version of Quake 2 on a PS3 or PC and bind the aim up/down and strafe left/right keys to the right joystick. Nothing you can do about the orange though.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Playing Doom 3 at 640x480 on a CRT with my regular PCI Geforce 5200 :corsair:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

You can use knightmare quake 2, which lets you crank the graphics settings to make it less blurry, or you can emulate the PS1 version of Quake 2 on a PS3 or PC and bind the aim up/down and strafe left/right keys to the right joystick. Nothing you can do about the orange though.

Somewhere Gunther Hermann is crying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Overbite posted:

So here's a kind of dumb question!

I like how the PS1 version of Quake 2 looks because it's sharper and has more colors. The PC version is too brown and orange and blurry. Is there a mod or source port that can make it look like the PS1 version? I could just play that one but the controls make it impossible.

I'm not sure if you've actually played them side by side but the PC version still looks better.