Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I honestly think the "but GMOs will eliminate biodiversity" thing is the weirdest and wrongest complaint. It can be disproved by looking at their seed catalogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
Remember how the industrial revolution lead to cottage industries like weaving becoming mechanized and consolidated into massive textile corporations and now you can only buy clothes that only come in one style, don't fit right, and give you cancer?

Edit: Also, anyone caught making their own clothes was sued into debtor's prison.

Protocol 5 fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Aug 3, 2014

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Nintendo Kid posted:

I honestly think the "but GMOs will eliminate biodiversity" thing is the weirdest and wrongest complaint. It can be disproved by looking at their seed catalogs.

Since GMOs are ~unnatural~, no amount of different GMO strains will ever be considered biodiverse by people making that argument.

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

blowfish posted:

Since GMOs are ~unnatural~, no amount of different GMO strains will ever be considered biodiverse by people making that argument.

Sounds like these people havn't heard of bananas.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

In this year's mayor election for Maui county, nearly every primary candidate is running on anti-GMO platforms. Some of them are running only on an anti-GMO platform. It's sad

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

SniHjen posted:

Sounds like these people havn't heard of bananas.
But polyploidy is ~natural~ and therefore good :biothruths:

So is conventional breeding, which is good because it does not take place in a lab we pretend really hard it does not take place in a lab and does not involve ~playing god~.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo Kid posted:

https://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2012/11/29/166156242/cornstalks-everywhere-but-nothing-else-not-even-a-bee

This is what they mean when they say GMOs remove biodiversity. Intensively farmed corn fields have almost no life besides trillions of stalks of corn. Which will then be turned into sugar or fuel. In case you didn't know, we are currently in the middle a massive extinction event, so I have a huge problem with modern intensive agriculture which worsens the biotic crisis.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Looks like the US government has decided to ban GMOs and neonicotinoid pesticides on wildlife refuges. Obviously good news :)

news.yahoo.com/u-bans-gmos-bee-killing-pesticides-wildlife-refuges-193150944.html

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Oh, so nothing related to actual biodiversity at all, nice.

Fields full of the same crop have been around for decades before GMOs even existed, broheimer.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo Kid posted:

Oh, so nothing related to actual biodiversity at all, nice.

Fields full of the same crop have been around for decades before GMOs even existed, broheimer.

I don think you understand what biodiversity means.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Why don't you start a "Tight Booty Shorts Complains About Agriculture" thread instead of shitposting this one with :ducksiren: "WHEAT FIELDS ONLY HAVE WHEAT IN THEM!" :ducksiren: every other page?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

What did the story you posted have to do with GMOs? It has to do with monocrops, not GMOs. They're different issues, as you stubbornly refuse to learn.

Looks like the US government has decided to ban GMOs and neonicotinoid pesticides on wildlife refuges. Obviously good news :)

news.yahoo.com/u-bans-gmos-bee-killing-pesticides-wildlife-refuges-193150944.html

Why would they ever use GMOs in refuges in the first place?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

I do. Having your field full of one crop is neither new nor a threat to biodiversity.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Nintendo Kid posted:

I do. Having your field full of one crop is neither new nor a threat to biodiversity.

Kudzu: Threat to biodiversity.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo Kid posted:

When these fields take up almost 40% of all land, then we have a huge threat to it. It's not about one field, it's about all the fields.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

When these fields take up almost 40% of all land, then we have a huge threat to it. It's not about one field, it's about all the fields.

But they don't, and it's ridiculous to suggest they will. Only 15% of the Earth's surface is arable land and significant chunks of that are within developed areas. So I don't know, maybe you're concerned about what happens when we terraform Mars or something? That's the only chance we have of creating land that's 40% arable.

But I'm seriously sorry that you think you know anything about biodiversity.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo Kid posted:

But they don't, and it's ridiculous to suggest they will. Only 15% of the Earth's surface is arable land and significant chunks of that are within developed areas. So I don't know, maybe you're concerned about what happens when we terraform Mars or something? That's the only chance we have of creating land that's 40% arable.

But I'm seriously sorry that you think you know anything about biodiversity.

data.worldbank.org/indicator/AG.LND.AGRI.ZS/countries/1W?display=graph

I'm sorry that you think you know anything about anything.

(Phoneposting from beach, please forgive any formattin errors)

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

In this year's mayor election for Maui county, nearly every primary candidate is running on anti-GMO platforms. Some of them are running only on an anti-GMO platform. It's sad

That seems insane, considering GM papaya basically saved that entire industry in Hawaii.

http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/sections/news/local-news/papaya-gmo-success-story.html

https://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2012/11/29/166156242/cornstalks-everywhere-but-nothing-else-not-even-a-bee

This is what they mean when they say GMOs remove biodiversity. Intensively farmed corn fields have almost no life besides trillions of stalks of corn. Which will then be turned into sugar or fuel. In case you didn't know, we are currently in the middle a massive extinction event, so I have a huge problem with modern intensive agriculture which worsens the biotic crisis.

Once again, this has nothing to do with GMOs you loving moron.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

data.worldbank.org/indicator/AG.LND.AGRI.ZS/countries/1W?display=graph

I'm sorry that you think you know anything about anything.

This does not show that 40% of the land is covered by crops at all, let alone GMO evil monoculture crops. Please try again.

Since you aren't very bright, that says 37% of the Earth's land is agricultural land of which the majority is non-crop land e.g. pastures and the like. According to United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization, Statistics Analysis Service, Compendium of Agricultural-Environmental Indicators 1989–91 to 2000 (Rome, November 2003), p. 11. 25% of the earth's surface is given over to man-made and natural pastureland for the use of animals as part of agriculture, making up most of the land under "agricultural" use.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 3, 2014

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Slanderer posted:

That seems insane, considering GM papaya basically saved that entire industry in Hawaii.

http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/sections/news/local-news/papaya-gmo-success-story.html

Once again, this has nothing to do with GMOs you loving moron.

Yes it does have to do with GMOs, you fuking moron.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

It manifestly does not, I am sorry that you are ignorant about what a GMO is and does.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The Devil Monsanto, or Tight Booty Shorts going on weird, non-GMO derails

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Incidentally, actively cultivating 40% of the earth's land with actual crops would require absolutely massive increases in irrigation and fertilizer usage, as well as plain energy usage. It might actually be impossible to manage, and the resulting increase in food production would result in most countries having tons upon tons of uneatable food crops just rotting every harvest.

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

Hey now, just because 40% of the earths land is arable land ( I couldn't write that without giggling) doesn't mean we have to plant crops in all of it.

AuMaestro
May 27, 2007

In that case, it seems obvious that sustainable agricultural techniques such as no-till farming (achievable on large scales only with GMOs) and the highest possible bushels per acre (so as to reduce the total amount of land needed for agriculture) would be desirable. An agricultural policy centered around environmental sustainability, while also meeting human needs, naturally includes the use of genetic modification as a way to enable farmers to engage in environmental stewardship.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Germany has essentially no GMOs. Germany has endless cornfields which are biologically dead and exist solely to provide area for dumping slurry and to feed biogas power plants. Do you think this is because of GMOs, you loving moron?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

What does this have to do with GMOs? You know that giant fields of a single crop have existed long before GMOs did, right?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

What does this have to do with GMOs? You know that giant fields of a single crop have existed long before GMOs did, right?

It has a lot to do with GMOs if you think the term GMO means "any kind of agriculture I don't like".

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

QuarkJets posted:

No, clearly before 1993 all farmers used wildly different crops and breeds of each crop on each field. :v:

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

blowfish posted:

Germany has essentially no GMOs. Germany has endless cornfields which are biologically dead and exist solely to provide area for dumping slurry and to feed biogas power plants. Do you think this is because of GMOs, you loving moron?

Maybe, you loving moron.

Modern agriculture is one of the greatest contributors to climate change. I don't have an issue with GMOs, and I've said that many times. I think it's ironic that the people in this thread consider themselves to be bastions of scientific reasoning but fail to see how the very systems and corporations they are defending are literally endangering the survival every living thing on this planet.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

quote:

This is what they mean when they say GMOs remove biodiversity.

quote:

quote:

I don't have an issue with GMOs, and I've said that many times.

And around and around we go.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Maybe, you loving moron.

Modern agriculture is one of the greatest contributors to climate change. I don't have an issue with GMOs, and I've said that many times. I think it's ironic that the people in this thread consider themselves to be bastions of scientific reasoning but fail to see how the very systems and corporations they are defending are literally endangering the survival every living thing on this planet.

For gently caress's sake, as long as you go first. :fuckoff:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Maybe, you loving moron.

So then why are shouting about GMOs hurting biodiversity in the GMO thread and complaining about how they might take up 40% of the world's land (when all current cropland takes up less than 13%)?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I think I hosed up some links because I've been away from a computer all day, but it doesn't make the fact that modern intensive farming suck any less true.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I think I hosed up some links because I've been away from a computer all day, but it doesn't make the fact that modern intensive farming suck any less true.

So take it to the "bitch about modern intensive farming" thread. This one is about GMOs.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Modern intensive farming doesn't suck to begin with, so it could hardly suck less.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Nintendo Kid posted:

Modern intensive farming doesn't suck to begin with, so it could hardly suck less.

It could definitely suck less. Modern intensive farming isn't the alpha and omega. It's still got a lot of unsustainability in it.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Obdicut posted:

It could definitely suck less. Modern intensive farming isn't the alpha and omega. It's still got a lot of unsustainability in it.

For all that this is true, large increases in land used for farming, increased tillage, and so on would be a net environmental disaster even if it included more non-crop species living in the fields.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Killer robot posted:

For all that this is true, large increases in land used for farming, increased tillage, and so on would be a net environmental disaster even if it included more non-crop species living in the fields.

Oh, absolutely. I'm not arguing that. Just that in fighting back against tight booty short's ridiculous hyperbole, resorting to hyperbole isn't a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Obdicut posted:

His definition of modern intensive farming includes "not growing 5 different crops on the same farm" and other such things, aka almost all farming, so it's safe to say it doesn't suck.

• Locked thread