Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Megasabin posted:

I thought the first half of the singleplayer was pretty atrocious. I ended up actually putting the game down for several months in some area in Pittsburgh, because I got bored and wasn't having fun. I only picked it up again after my brother kept bugging me about it, and the second half of the game was way better than the first. The first half was just really tedious both from a gameplay and story perspective. Luckily the second half just picked up the pace on all aspects, and was really breathtakingly good at points.

I can't fault you (or anyone else for that matter) for giving up on the game during the Pittsburgh chapter. It is without a doubt the worst part of the game. An endless string of extended fights against humans, all of which can get quite frustrating. Pittsburgh is to The Last of Us what Syria is to Uncharted 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

JordanKai posted:

If you're standing next to that clicker you can just throw a bottle to distract it.
Sure, or shiv it or brick it. I was just saying you can't run past it.

Pedialyte
Jul 27, 2003

"With the breakdown of the Medieval system, the gods of Chaos, Lunacy, and Bad Taste gained ascendancy." Ignatius was writing in one of his Big Chief tablets.
I dig all of these frames! Looking to rock some multiplayer with non-pubs if anyone wants to party up!

PSN: Dangerous_Movie

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Does MP matchmaking take forever for everyone, or just me?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Happy Hedonist posted:

Most people are having this issue. Naughty Dog is looking into it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Was wondering why no one is streaming MP on twitch.tv, but I guess the lobby problems could factor into it.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Happy Hedonist posted:

Try backing out to the main menu and trying again, this seems to fix the issue for some people.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Equilibrium posted:

Try backing out to the main menu and trying again, this seems to fix the issue for some people.

It did actually, and if the first couple of matches are any indications, I love interrogation.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I just started playing multiplayer and it really is better than single player. Being support is pretty cool.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
Hopping on to play some MP. Add NO_GRANDMA_NO and hop in the party if you want an invite.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer
Just going to mention again the strategy I posted earlier for the four runners + clicker in the high-rise since I just did it successfully on my current playthrough on the first try. And actually you don't have to worry about killing the third runner before you get to the clicker, because this time I stealth killed the third runner pretty close to the clicker and it didn't even notice.

Also I can't believe how many resources you get on Normal (which I'm playing on because I'm just looking around). I'm already full up on shivs, medkits, and the resources it takes to make both.

Apache Chief
May 21, 2011

inSTAALed posted:

Hopping on to play some MP. Add NO_GRANDMA_NO and hop in the party if you want an invite.

down for this in the next 30 if people stick around

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

Apache Chief posted:

down for this in the next 30 if people stick around

We could really use your tenacity out there tonight, Chief.

Synathaesia
Jul 4, 2009

it's been a hard day's night
and I'd been workin' like a dog

inSTAALed posted:

We could really use your tenacity out there tonight, Chief.

I would be genuinely terrified if he were full-blooded Apache and 69 times more tenacious.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I'm not sure if I like molotovs being 1 hit kills in multiplayer. It's fun to hit someone with them and to run away, but it makes the previous ~10 minutes of stealth and planning silly when the last 3 minutes is everyone sprinting around throwing bombs and molotovs everywhere.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer
BABY SHADOW

EDIT: That's weird, didn't attach. Time to find an image host...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fistful of Silence fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 3, 2014

Dr Geek
Jan 28, 2007
I never played this on PS3 but I'm downloading it for PS4 right now. I just bought the Gold headset and I'm dying to test it out for a multiplayer shooter, so feel free to add me, my PSN ID is Unclecaveman69

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ughhhh, the part where you play as Ellie and hunt the deer with the bow and arrow at the beginning of Winter is probably the hardest part of the game so far, just because I've had no reason to use the bow and arrow thus far in the game until now.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Just got done playing MP. Was pretty good.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
Eight man goon private matches own. Bows only owns. Punching only owns.

That was fun as poo poo guys. Glad we found a way to work around the four person limit for matchmaking parties.

Apache Chief
May 21, 2011

inSTAALed posted:

Eight man goon private matches own. Bows only owns. Punching only owns.

That was fun as poo poo guys. Glad we found a way to work around the four person limit for matchmaking parties.

If we ever want to do that, then split in to two parties for *real* games, that is an idea.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Ughhhh, the part where you play as Ellie and hunt the deer with the bow and arrow at the beginning of Winter is probably the hardest part of the game so far, just because I've had no reason to use the bow and arrow thus far in the game until now.

You are very close to a part that is 100 times more annoying. it's a bitch on normal and I'm not looking forward to it all on survivalist.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Played with goons today. Was Fun as hell, didn't know a goon party was going to be formed.

PSN: Sisselyn

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

NESguerilla posted:

You are very close to a part that is 100 times more annoying. it's a bitch on normal and I'm not looking forward to it all on survivalist.
The part where you and David have to hold your ground and survive waves of enemies including a Bloater? Yeah I cleared that part. For some reason I remember it being harder when I played the game on PS3 last year. I'm playing it on Normal difficulty now and I found it annoying this time but not terribly hard.

The part I posted about felt harder because the loving deer kept running away every time I'd get remotely close to it :argh:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yup. I thought that was after the deer for some reason.

Maybe it's not as bad as I remember. I actually am having an easier time this time around even though I'm playing on a harder difficulty. Survivalist feels pretty much like normal did for me on my first run. Some parts I have even had an easier time with weirdly.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Holy poo poo the multiplayer in this is so good.

Like arguably as good as the campaign.

Had I known this I probably would have bought the PS3 version when it came out.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Someone want to try to convince me the Enforcer isn't a useless weapon? In fact I'm not sure why anyone would take the 9mm or the Enforcer. It's not like the revolver has particularly bad range or anything. It seems like Im trading off 3 shot downs for slighty faster shooting speed and 4-5 shot downs.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The part I posted about felt harder because the loving deer kept running away every time I'd get remotely close to it :argh:

The key there is to move slowly (if you see its head poke up stop for a second) until you can get a guaranteed shot, then use the blood trail and hoofprints to track it to the next area.

Box of Frogs
Feb 12, 2012
Anyone up for some late night mp?

PSN: DocPotterywood

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Megasabin posted:

I thought the first half of the singleplayer was pretty atrocious. I ended up actually putting the game down for several months in some area in Pittsburgh, because I got bored and wasn't having fun. I only picked it up again after my brother kept bugging me about it, and the second half of the game was way better than the first. The first half was just really tedious both from a gameplay and story perspective. Luckily the second half just picked up the pace on all aspects, and was really breathtakingly good at points.

I feel like they never play tested a lot of the early encounters, and asked the question "is this actually fun?". It also didn't help in that all the advertising made it seem like guns would be scarce, and encounters with humans would be small, intimate, and very intense. Instead it was just Uncharted Lite, and you end up killing dudes left and right.

Maybe some games aren't fun all the time in the same way that all movies aren't easy to watch and all books aren't pageturners. Stuff like that may not be your cup-o-tea but it's a bit bizarre to assume that creators don't exercise some level of intent in this area.

TLOU is more than fun, in my opinion, it's absolutely engaging, and the gameplay supports the themes of the narrative in a way few games have managed to at this point.

Classic fun may be had in Factions. In fact, I'm having some right now.

Megasabin posted:

Someone want to try to convince me the Enforcer isn't a useless weapon? In fact I'm not sure why anyone would take the 9mm or the Enforcer. It's not like the revolver has particularly bad range or anything. It seems like Im trading off 3 shot downs for slighty faster shooting speed and 4-5 shot downs.

Silenced Enforcer is pretty drat good, but yeah, it needs to be upgraded right away. The Revolver is hands down one of the most reliable weapons, but it'll lose every time to an upgraded Enforcer. Revolver is weak in reloading and firing speed, Enforcer is weak in ammo capacity. Upgrade it fast and it will save your life. It took me a while to love it after using the revolver as my primary weapon on so many builds, and it's not perfect for every loadout, but the 15 bullets thing is amazing. I back it up with the Spectre when I really need some fire supremacy. My only true enemy at that point is the shotgun.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Aug 3, 2014

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

second-hand smegma posted:

Maybe some games aren't fun all the time in the same way that all movies aren't easy to watch and all books aren't pageturners. Stuff like that may not be your cup-o-tea but it's a bit bizarre to assume that creators don't exercise some level of intent in this area.

TLOU is more than fun, in my opinion, it's absolutely engaging, and the gameplay supports the themes of the narrative in a way few games have managed to at this point.

The issue here is that games are a different media than movies, and I would say one of the cardinal rules of game development is that the gameplay always has to be engaging/fun. A lot of portions in the first half of the game were neither to me. I can think of several examples:

1. There were many set pieces, that essentially felt like puzzles, and if you did it "wrong", you basically ruined the set piece. A prime example of this is towards the 1st quarter of the game, I think before Pittsburgh (or maybe it was Pittsburgh?), you have to go through basically a demolished hotel/building. The layout of the hotel rooms are very packed and narrow, and one mistake means not only will you have to manfight the 2 goons near you, but the sound of the gunfire will draw out enemies from 2-3 areas away. What then ensues is a giant clusterfuck of a gun fight that to me doesn't really fit the tone or setting of the game. Joel vs. 6-7 goons, who you kill by hiding in a door frame, and shooting them as they appear is lame. Then even if you beat all those baddies, your reward is to casually stroll the rest of the hotel which is already emptied out, pretty much removing all the tension from the set piece. If you really want to experience the entire thing as a stealth/run and gun set piece, you basically have to do it "right", without alerting the entire level. I actually feel like all the Naughty Dog games suffer from this to some degree. Naughty Dog has some idea in their head on how they want their game to be played, and how they want each set piece to go, but they don't do the best job of communicating it or making it natural for it to go down that way.

2. The bit with the clickers got old really fast. Yes it was really tense walking through them the first time, and maybe even the second. They then reused the same bit too much, and it just became an annoying puzzle where you had to move through an area without touching the moving obstacles.

3. The story moves very slowly in the first half of the game. I'm not sure what else to say. Maybe you enjoyed it, but I got kind of bored.

I know I'm not the only one with these opinions. I'd say out of the 10 or so people in real life I knew who played the game, about 3-4 never made it past the first half of the game. Everyone who did was happy they pushed forward, since the second half is so great, but I don't really think it's an out there opinion to feel the first half of the game is flawed.

second-hand smegma posted:

Silenced Enforcer is pretty drat good, but yeah, it needs to be upgraded right away. The Revolver is hands down one of the most reliable weapons, but it'll lose every time to an upgraded Enforcer. Revolver is weak in reloading and firing speed, Enforcer is weak in ammo capacity. Upgrade it fast and it will save your life. It took me a while to love it after using the revolver as my primary weapon on so many builds, and it's not perfect for every loadout, but the 15 bullets thing is amazing. I back it up with the Spectre when I really need some fire supremacy. My only true enemy at that point is the shotgun.

I think I'm just to used to the revolver. I find that in the multiplayer a good player will start zigzagging and running for corners as soon as they get hit, so getting 4-5 shots to down people is often difficult. I tend to not like the Beretta, the Enforcer, and the full auto primary gun for this reason.

More Multiplayer questions-- can someone explain certain features of a few of the perks to me:

Strategist Level 2- "Know when you've been marked and see nearby enemies on the radar." What does it mean to "see nearby enemies on the radar? Does this mean everyone? Even people standing still? Even people who have the covert operations perk? How nearby do they have to be?

Agility Level 3 - You are nearly impossible to hear while moving. Walk, climb and crouch walk very quickly. What does it mean that you are impossible to hear while moving? Does that mean you don't show up on the radar? Or it actually the physical sound of your footsteps? Does this apply even to jogging or sprinting?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Aug 3, 2014

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
What's the rules on posting photomode stuff? I've already played this on the PS3 but I would like not to spoil it for people if possible. But I'd like to share pretty shares I'm taking.

And yea, I didn't mind it at first, but the second and on go arounds the beginning just sort of drags until the plot gets kicked into gear.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It is a bit of a slow burn after the intro, though to be fair the intro is amazing and if that doesn't grab your attention immediately nothing in the game will. The gameplay is at its weakest when it's still tutorializing stuff and the gameplay is the weakest part of the single player. It's a shame, too since the actual controls and gunplay is by far the best Naughty Dog have ever done. They just don't do much with it.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I've switched from the revolver to the enforcer. It's easier to stun lock people in place with it.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
My broadband, which handles CoD: Ghosts and BF4 well enough, keeps freezing me up with lag protection like a motherfucker. Hating on Naughty Dog pretty hard right now. :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Does New Game+ add anything or do you just keep your upgrades/colletables?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Just keep your poo poo from what I recall.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

Apache Chief posted:

If we ever want to do that, then split in to two parties for *real* games, that is an idea.

We could probably just use the in game chat for that instead of all joining a party. Then we wouldn't have to shuffle around if teams changed.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

The one time I used gamechat it was all static and choppy. Switched to a party and it's crystal. Bad experience or is that how gamechat is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

Fateo McMurray posted:

The one time I used gamechat it was all static and choppy. Switched to a party and it's crystal. Bad experience or is that how gamechat is?

I've never tried the gamechat since we have almost always been grouped up in matchmaking/private matches. When I haven't been in a group, nobody talks anyway, so it is hard to say.

• Locked thread