Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AshB
Sep 16, 2007
There are too many characters on this show anyway, so all of them get very little development. I agree Asami should be a secondary support character. She's had less development than Jinora.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
LoK is a kids show, and kids need no justification to tag along on adventures with their friends because they don't understand the meanings of the words "respinsibilities" and "legal liability".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Baron Bifford posted:

LoK is a kids show, and kids need no justification to tag along on adventures with their friends because they don't understand the meanings of the words "respinsibilities" and "legal liability".

Besides, having *more* female representation is rarely a bad thing.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Superstring posted:

She's the Appa?
Listen, it was either Asami or Naga taking that role. So really, there was only one possible choice. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Asami is there because she is Korra's friend and a character for Korra to play off of and talk to and to be comfortable around. This is an important role in helping humanize Korra and a big part of why this season is better is because Korra has an actual friend to talk to instead of being stuck with Mako or to a lesser extent Bolin.

They could have introduced a new character but... why? Korra and Asami's friendship is one of the better things to come out of the show.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

DoctorWhat posted:

And of course, more importantly, it's a striking visual shorthand for "dehumanizing restraint" and is a visual quote from one of the most influential films in decades.

?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
And while Asami scenes are rare they've been pretty good this season. Taking out bikers, owning Bolin in Pai Sho, and best of all trolling Mako with Korra.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The very same!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
One of the biggest improvements they've made this season (and I liked season 1 and the back half of season 2 just fine, but this one is way better) is figuring out which characters play off one another the best. Again and again, we've seen Korra with Asami and Bolin with Mako, to the benefit of all four characters.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Not that I'm complaining, but has anyone else noticed these online episodes have no commercials? How exactly do they monetize this show now?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nichael posted:

Not that I'm complaining, but has anyone else noticed these online episodes have no commercials? How exactly do they monetize this show now?

Do you have adblock on? There should be commercial breaks every 15 minutes or so I thought?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

I believe you mean this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AAd5bWeAok

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Nichael posted:

When it randomly pauses and loads briefly, that's it trying to run a commercial and your adblocker stopping it. It's truly a magical thing.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

ImpAtom posted:

Do you have adblock on? There should be commercial breaks every 15 minutes or so I thought?
Shush, Nickelodeon execs don't know about Adblock! Computers are scary!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't use Adblock and I didn't get any either.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I have adblock and I kept seeing the same trailer for that horrible looking Ninja Turtles movie over and over again, so I guess it's a YMMV thing.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I keep it off for nick because I'd heard that Adblock fucks up their vid player in the past, and even I'm not getting ads about a third of the time.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I don't have ad block. Is Nickelodeon so incompetent that they can't even run ads during this show?

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
This season finally feels like I'm watching more Avatar and not some cash-in (which did not even cash in).

I'm sure there will be a nice big clusterfuck at Ba Sing Se and Lin will show up and save the day a bit.

People are talking about Suyin being Red Lotus, and I was kinda getting that vibe, but I'm not sure now. That would basically make every season have a major "multiple episode helpful person is actually a bad guuuuy the whole time!" arc.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
Honestly I would choose Asami over Bolin at the drop of a hat. She's a cool woman who deals with her problems in healthy intelligent ways and givess Korra someone to not be in constant awkward conflict with. I liked Bolin at the beginning of the first season but his comic relief has overtaken his character and now he's more character flaw than character. It's most frustrating whenever he interacts with women, and the cringe-inducing moments make me direct my attention elsewhere until the next scene starts.

Of course women in media are always held to more scruitiny than the men. Fans always hate on the Cho Changs and Lavender Browns but never the Seamuses or Cedrics. People are quick to compare Asami to an animal and call her useless for not bending even though she's regularly more competent in fights than Bolin.

There's not enough depictions in media of healthy friendships between young women, especially in shows outside of highschool settings. Asami is very important and yall just have to deal with it :colbert:

Also love Zaheer's smugness followed immediately by news that he was bested by the earth queen. Also a convenient way to still not tell us what they want with Korra. I have a feeling that this season is going to end in some kind of serious new world order at least for the main earth continent.

i hate meatloaf
May 23, 2010
Now that we know Unaloq was part of the Red Lotus, people are theorizing that Amon was a member as well. The Red Lotus's goal appears to be destroying the current world order and returning to the world of 10,000 years ago. Removing bending could have been the first stage of the plan to bring back Vaatu, reconnect the worlds, and split Raava from Korra. They did say Book 2 came about from stuff they couldn't fit into Book 1. The main problem I see with this is that so far all of the confirmed RL members have been benders, and I can't see them wanting to lose that. Perhaps he was meant to only take it from the unworthy or something but, like Unaloq, let his desires cloud his mission. We never got any reason for why Amon had a red dot on his mask, so it could reference the red lotus symbol - there is a red dot in the center? That's definitely a reach, but hey.

This episode Zaheer gave us the name of the Red Lotus's founder/leader. I bet he's going to be the villain of book 4. While it wouldn't fix all the problems of the first two books, having it so that each book's villains are part of the same organization would make the show work better on rewatch.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The problem with Asami is that she gets a fraction of the fights everyone else does.

Likely because they find it a huge pain to find ways to involve her when dealing with benders on the level of Zaheer and company.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

i hate meatloaf posted:

We never got any reason for why Amon had a red dot on his mask, so it could reference the red lotus symbol - there is a red dot in the center? That's definitely a reach, but hey.

In Beijing opera, a mask with a red pearl on the forehead represents initiation into the Buddhist monkhood, and can be seen as representing spiritual connections.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Oh Snapple! posted:

The problem with Asami is that she gets a fraction of the fights everyone else does.

Likely because they find it a huge pain to find ways to involve her when dealing with benders on the level of Zaheer and company.
Make her a chi blocker.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Make her an airbender, it's the new fad anyway.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

i hate meatloaf posted:

Now that we know Unaloq was part of the Red Lotus, people are theorizing that Amon was a member as well.

It would be more interesting if the Lieutenant was a member placed within Amon's ranks to keep an eye on him then we could have him return. Not every member of the Red Lotus needs to be a bender do they?

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Rexides posted:

Make her an airbender, it's the new fad anyway.

This is such a great (yet obvious) idea that it's not surprising that the show didn't do it. Training would have been the perfect excuse to have Korra / Asami interaction and character building.

Instead, we get Bumi training as an Airbender, which is gently caress-stupid because his entire character was built around NOT being able to bend.

quote:

Not every member of the Red Lotus needs to be a bender do they?

I think you were asking that rhetorically, but in case you weren't, the answer is "no", as Zaheer was a long-time member and only recently became a bender.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

QueerPope posted:

Honestly I would choose Asami over Bolin at the drop of a hat. She's a cool woman who deals with her problems in healthy intelligent ways and givess Korra someone to not be in constant awkward conflict with. I liked Bolin at the beginning of the first season but his comic relief has overtaken his character and now he's more character flaw than character. It's most frustrating whenever he interacts with women, and the cringe-inducing moments make me direct my attention elsewhere until the next scene starts.

Bolin did have some pretty interesting development in that a character in the show (Opal) tell him straight up to stop acting so awkward around women. Hopefully it stops.

Asami and Bumi are both built around being nonbenders, having either of them become airbenders would be/is stupid.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
I'm very curious how Zaheer has taught himself so much spiritually, like the whole teleporting thing was very impressive.. Bit OP too

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I guess when you have been locked up for 10+ years in a small cell with no entertainment, you pick up some weird hobbies.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Would be interesting if one didn't need to be a bender to project into the spirit world.. Meaning they all could've been secretly meeting in the spirit world the whole ten years..

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

i hate meatloaf posted:

Now that we know Unaloq was part of the Red Lotus, people are theorizing that Amon was a member as well. The Red Lotus's goal appears to be destroying the current world order and returning to the world of 10,000 years ago. Removing bending could have been the first stage of the plan to bring back Vaatu, reconnect the worlds, and split Raava from Korra. They did say Book 2 came about from stuff they couldn't fit into Book 1. The main problem I see with this is that so far all of the confirmed RL members have been benders, and I can't see them wanting to lose that. Perhaps he was meant to only take it from the unworthy or something but, like Unaloq, let his desires cloud his mission. We never got any reason for why Amon had a red dot on his mask, so it could reference the red lotus symbol - there is a red dot in the center? That's definitely a reach, but hey.

This episode Zaheer gave us the name of the Red Lotus's founder/leader. I bet he's going to be the villain of book 4. While it wouldn't fix all the problems of the first two books, having it so that each book's villains are part of the same organization would make the show work better on rewatch.

Laghima, the airbender, that Zaheer keeps quoting isn't the founder of the Red Lotus or even still alive given that the Red Lotus is a recent society and Tenzin has a locket with Laghima's picture on it stored with other airbending artifacts.

Zaheer doesn't seem like he founded the Red Lotus and given that the Red Lotus grew from ex/current White Lotus members who were dissatisfied with the organisation, I wonder if this season isn't going to end with the White Lotus and the major governments around the world betrayed from within while Book 4 is going to see Korra fight Libertarian and Anarchist benders.

Babygravy posted:

I'm very curious how Zaheer has taught himself so much spiritually, like the whole teleporting thing was very impressive.. Bit OP too

Yeah I'm surprised he knows so much about the spirit world and airbending given that airbenders were extinct for a long time . The theory about Zaheer being a descendant of airbenders who secretly kept their culture, history and stories and traditions seems to hold more weight.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

TheModernAmerican posted:

Asami and Bumi are both built around being nonbenders, having either of them become airbenders would be/is stupid.

You did get that great moment in the Air Temple episode where Bumi gets to show his real talents: Motivation and Leadership. For all the guys braggadocio he wasn't an officer in the Republic forces for nothing. It doesn't cheapen his character by removing the things that made him good as a non-bender, it gives him more fuel to his issues of inadequacy. First he wasn't even a bender, now he's a bender but he's nowhere near as good as his brother or father. That has interesting character beats to mine too.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Bumi might as well be a bender because they've done such a poor job of showing why he was considered a great commander in the United Forces. That scene this season is just about the only time I can remember where his leadership skills have actually been useful instead of him just being a buffoon and succeeding due to dumb luck.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hey guys, I'm reposting all my Chinese culture/history posts on a tumblr just to archive them. I already put up all the food/recipe posts, and plan on making more in the future. Already got another Fire Nation dish and a Water Tribe dish in mind.

http://mrcatboysa.tumblr.com/

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Darth Nat posted:

Bumi might as well be a bender because they've done such a poor job of showing why he was considered a great commander in the United Forces. That scene this season is just about the only time I can remember where his leadership skills have actually been useful instead of him just being a buffoon and succeeding due to dumb luck.

Didn't he also pull an A-Team-grade plan last year to help Korra do a Thing? It seems to me that his entire career is based on trying to do the stupidest poo poo possible and succeeding anyway.

i hate meatloaf
May 23, 2010

That's cool to know! Amon and the Equalists didn't seem that spiritual, but there's got to be a reason Mike and Bryan gave him that specific mask. It could just show initiation into the Equalist movement (with Amon implying some grander spirituality to it), but the Equalists never went into spirit stuff. Amon could have been subtly showing his initiation into The Red Lotus, which is a spiritual organization.

Kegslayer posted:

Laghima, the airbender, that Zaheer keeps quoting isn't the founder of the Red Lotus or even still alive given that the Red Lotus is a recent society and Tenzin has a locket with Laghima's picture on it stored with other airbending artifacts.

Zaheer doesn't seem like he founded the Red Lotus and given that the Red Lotus grew from ex/current White Lotus members who were dissatisfied with the organisation, I wonder if this season isn't going to end with the White Lotus and the major governments around the world betrayed from within while Book 4 is going to see Korra fight Libertarian and Anarchist benders.

Yeah I'm surprised he knows so much about the spirit world and airbending given that airbenders were extinct for a long time . The theory about Zaheer being a descendant of airbenders who secretly kept their culture, history and stories and traditions seems to hold more weight.

Not Laghima, he said someone (Zhai Bei or something) founded the Red Lotus sometime after the 100 years war.

Your idea for the end of book 3 would be a great way to get Zuko's daughter + family involved in book 4. ATLA had the Avatar defeat the Firelord, LoK could have the Avatar fight to reinstate the Firelord.

I'm guessing book 3 ends with a multi-faction battle, and the TRL takes advantage of the chaos to enact that plan. The Earth Queen's captured Korra, would likely move to take back the Airbenders, and has stated she sees The United Republic's lands as her own. Suyin wants the EQ gone, may have ties with TRL, and would move to protect her daughter at the Airtemple. Depending on what the EQ does Republic City and possibly the FN and/or Water Tribes could get involved. Team Avatar may end up forging a temporary alliance with TRL to fight the EQ, which they would also take advantage of.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

i hate meatloaf posted:

That's cool to know! Amon and the Equalists didn't seem that spiritual, but there's got to be a reason Mike and Bryan gave him that specific mask. It could just show initiation into the Equalist movement (with Amon implying some grander spirituality to it), but the Equalists never went into spirit stuff. Amon could have been subtly showing his initiation into The Red Lotus, which is a spiritual organization.

Not Laghima, he said someone (Zhai Bei or something) founded the Red Lotus sometime after the 100 years war.

Your idea for the end of book 3 would be a great way to get Zuko's daughter + family involved in book 4. ATLA had the Avatar defeat the Firelord, LoK could have the Avatar fight to reinstate the Firelord.

I'm guessing book 3 ends with a multi-faction battle, and the TRL takes advantage of the chaos to enact that plan. The Earth Queen's captured Korra, would likely move to take back the Airbenders, and has stated she sees The United Republic's lands as her own. Suyin wants the EQ gone, may have ties with TRL, and would move to protect her daughter at the Airtemple. Depending on what the EQ does Republic City and possibly the FN and/or Water Tribes could get involved. Team Avatar may end up forging a temporary alliance with TRL to fight the EQ, which they would also take advantage of.

Even though we found out it wasn't true, didn't Amon publicly attribute his ability to take away bending to the spirit world?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Rincewind posted:

Even though we found out it wasn't true, didn't Amon publicly attribute his ability to take away bending to the spirit world?
Yup; I looked it up:

Amon, Episode 3 posted:

Since the beginning of time, the spirits have acted as guardians of our world, and they have spoken to me. They say the Avatar has failed humanity. That is why the spirits have chosen me to usher in a new era of balance. They have granted me a power that will make Equality a reality. The power to take a person's bending away. Permanently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Amon probably wore that mask in the first place because it invokes spirituality. Same reason he did that "the spirits told me to take away bending" speech; to establish authority via divine providence.

• Locked thread