Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i think its dead. I have no ide. tell me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

no idea what its actual purpose is.

same

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

if people think plus is dead they must have no idea what its actual purpose is.

please enlighten us

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
since cremnob thinks google plus is dead it must therefore be fine.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Management posted:

please enlighten us

it's the single sign on portal for all google account services so there arent a thousand different things hth

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

who the hell uses google plus. they didn't mention it at google io. it's dead

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i use google plus every day

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

it's the single sign on portal for all google account services so there arent a thousand different things hth

if that were the case couldnt they just call it "google" as in "i'm going to log in to google to manage my photos and export my data out of google + before its shut down for good"?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Last Chance posted:

if that were the case couldnt they just call it "google" as in "i'm going to log in to google to manage my photos and export my data out of google + before its shut down for good"?

google is already the overarching brand

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Nintendo Kid posted:

this existed before google plus, it was called "log in with your gmail account"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Management posted:

this existed before google plus, it was called "log in with your gmail account"

now its called "log in with google + also you no longer have a seperate youtube account nerds"

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

if people think plus is dead they must have no idea what its actual purpose is.

Jesus

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

looks down on your sins cremnob

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Last Chance posted:

"i'm going to log in to google to manage my photos and export my data out of google + before its shut down for good"?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress joining my yoiutube account to my personal account

dont those mother fuckers realise i am ashamed of everything i ever achieve and dont want anything i produce EVER tied to my real name?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
that's some pro tier goalpost shifting

also g+ can't be dead since it never actually lived

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

now its called "log in with google + also you no longer have a seperate youtube account nerds"

I liked how it constantly prompted me on login to YouTube

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I've probably posted this before, but the irritating thing is that they could've sold G+ to the public without much difficulty or any mockery at all if they'd framed it completely differently:

Phase 1: Hey, we realized that having a bunch of different contact lists was awkward and confusing, so we've unified them into social circles! Now you have a unified address book across all our services, so whenever you want to send an email, add an editor to a Google Doc, share a photo album or YouTube video, you use the same interface and same groupings of people you know.

Phase 2: Wow, we have a bunch of different services that want to tell you what's going on, so we've unified them into a single activity feed at Google.com that we call Google+. Now whenever somebody shares a YouTube video or Picasa photo album with you, sends you an Gmail, asks you to comment on edits to your Google Docs, or invites you to a Google Calendar event, or when your package ships, traffic conditions change, news articles or RSS feeds you're interested in are published or you get instant messaged, it will show up in one place on your Google.com homepage.

Phase 3: We've realize that sometimes you want to send the people you know a quick note about what you're up to without having to compose an Gmail or upload a video to YouTube, so we've added a quick way to post a message, video or photo album to the Google+ activity feeds of your social circles without having to leave Google+ for Gmail, YouTube or Picasa.

Phase 4: Hey, you can share stuff from third party web sites to Google+ now, or even log in using your Google+ identify if you want.

But instead they made a Facebook and told everybody who already hated Facebook that they should use the Google Facebook instead and it went nowhere. And then they added the shittier aspects of Facebook like corporate Facebook pages and Facebook games and it was just poo poo all around.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

did u rly type all that out in this yospos

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

theadder posted:

did u rly type all that out in this yospos

hey man, its a sunny saturday in the middle of the summer and I've had like four piņa coladas and a couple mojitos, I can armchair CEO if I want and also gently caress you

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

so if Google plus was actually a completely different service it might have succeeded?

ok, I can see that

incidentally if Microsoft had made the iPhone first they would probably be doing a lot better!!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

meanwhile in the real world 'circles' have propagated to approximately zero other google services, I can't share a Google doc with a circle from within drive for instance (and idk if I can do it from within g+ because I don't share docs with people on g+)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

uncurable mlady posted:

so if Google plus was actually a completely different service it might have succeeded?

ok, I can see that

incidentally if Microsoft had made the iPhone first they would probably be doing a lot better!!

nah, it'd've ended up being largely the same, but the roll out woud've been different and they wouldn't have been assholes and killed off Google Reader

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

uncurable mlady posted:

but it would look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9HfdSp2E2A

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

uncurable mlady posted:

microsoft is more profitable than ever

pram
Jun 10, 2001
no it would look like this

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

btw, I have it straight from a Google employee that the official internal explanation of why Google Reader was killed off was:

1. The only department that would make sense for Google Reader would've been Google+
2. Google+ didn't want Reader because they didn't want machine generated content

which doesn't make any loving sense since most RSS content is directly created by humans, but whatever, NewsBlur is reasonably priced and wildly better than Google Reader

pram
Jun 10, 2001
do people really use rss anymore lol

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

btw, I have it straight from a Google employee that the official internal explanation of why Google Reader was killed off was:

1. The only department that would make sense for Google Reader would've been Google+
2. Google+ didn't want Reader because they didn't want machine generated content

which doesn't make any loving sense since most RSS content is directly created by humans, but whatever, NewsBlur is reasonably priced and wildly better than Google Reader

lollll

what a clown shoes loving company

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah i know im inviting a bunch of huffing nerds talking about their reddit feed or w/e gently caress you in advance

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

pram posted:

do people really use rss anymore lol

yes, manuallly polling web sites when we have computers to do it for us automatically is moronic

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Hey, I'm just going to visit a web site that I looked at 20 minutes ago to check if maybe anything has changed and generate a bunch of ad impressions because my time is worthless and I'm an idiot.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Hey, I'm just going to visit a web site that I looked at 20 minutes ago to check if maybe anything has changed and generate a bunch of ad impressions because my time is worthless and I'm an idiot.

yospos bitch

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
still lol that everyone relied on google reader for their outdated news feed reading workflow

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

yes

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

it was free, adequate, and acted as a backing store for a bunch of popular phone apps

not surprising at all really

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
it is surprising that no one bothered to build an alternative

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

what would be the point?

it did two things: fetched feeds at regular intervals, and kept track of which idividual items a user account had viewed. there was also some kind of weird social network sharing thing that apparently a vocal minority used, but who gives a gently caress about that?

that's basically all you need to build more useful and powerful apps if youwant , and more than dequate if you're just using the web site directly

alternatives weren't necessary until it ceased to exist

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

what would be the point?

to not on rely on google, noted random ender of free forgotten services eg the translation api

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

nope, that wasn't an issue at the time

• Locked thread